none
Win7 XP mode : recommanded Virtual Graphic Card RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i installed SolidWorks 2006 software on my Virtual PC (i have windows 7 Ultimate) to work on patterncrafting projects.The software works well, when i checked models (rotation) its OK, but when i zoom in and out my model and when i select a line on my drawings, it takes more time (about 5 seconds) to react.when I check my model after including details,it takes sometime to react too.

I installed my software when i had Vista (Ultmate) without Virtual PC 2007; it won't work because the software is build for XP only and don't work on later Windows and a recent SolidWorks softwares cost over C$400 and i can't efford it. I installed Virtual PC 2007 to be able to work with my SolidWorks version but the virtual graphics make my software slower to work,but lesser than Virtual PC for Win7 since i installed my nVidia GT200 (1GB ) graphic card. Solidworks become slower depending the number of pieces in an assembly/details (in function of RAM quantity) and graphic card used.

I read the VPC help guide about running application with the physical graphic card to be able to work on Solidworks, thinking that bypasses the virtual graphic card if i run the application directly without running VPC.The answer about it have contradictions in my case:"it runs to work with production programs but not recommended for applications and games that require 3D acceleration". My case, i have a production program but requires 3D acceleration.

I want to know which virtual graphic card can do the job and can run a little bit faster (VPC runs with VPC Integration S3 Trio 32/64 from the list) , if i must download an graphic card emulator or simply install Direct X for graphics ?

Thank you

Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:32 AM

Answers

• With the integration components installed you already have the best video driver, any other driver will reduce performance.

Regarding VPC 2007 you are misinformed:

You don't need to setup a network between the host and guest, you can use VPC additions for shared host folders or host hard drives, along with the ability to drag and drop files between the host and VM.

Friday, January 20, 2012 5:13 AM

All replies

• You cannot change the graphics card in the virtual machine because it is an emulated card written into the virtual machine software program and I have never heard of being able to download any emulation replacements.

You might try VMware Player to see if it performs any better.  www.vmware.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Hi, thank a lot for your tip, but when i talked about virtual graphic card, if you enter in the Hardware Manager of VPC,graphic card, just doing a driver update and search driver by yourself, it have about 8-9 virtual graphic card drivers 3 kind of S3 trio drivers, "number 9" and 2 kind of Integration Component S3 trio drivers.

I installed DirectX, it helps a little bit...

About VMware Player, is it work like Win7/XP mode, or like Virtual PC 2007 ? (i mean about setup,accessibility host to virtual guest,hardware integration like win7 xp mode?

>VPC 2007: virtual HDD,no USB Integration,must setup a virtual network between host and virtual guest, same virtual graphic cards than XP mode, no direct access from virtual guest HDD to host HDD,etc.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:15 PM
  • You need to get info about VMWare at the VMWare website.  It is another virtualization solution and has an option to import your XP Mode directly.  You cannot change the video card in Windows Virtual PC.  It uses an emulation of an S3Trio 32/64 video card.  However it is not an attempt to completely emulate the real version.  It is identifed as an S3Trio so that an operating system being installed finds a known card and loads the driver.  For more information see:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2005/01/26/361361.aspx

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:35 AM
  • With the integration components installed you already have the best video driver, any other driver will reduce performance.

Regarding VPC 2007 you are misinformed:

You don't need to setup a network between the host and guest, you can use VPC additions for shared host folders or host hard drives, along with the ability to drag and drop files between the host and VM.

Friday, January 20, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Impossible to import XP Mode to VMWare, because is not an authentical copy when i tried to input the activation code and I don't have an Original Copy of Win XP. I cancelled the WMWare installation. I stay with the Win 7 XP Mode.i thank all of you for your help.

Friday, January 27, 2012 3:29 PM
  • MKR_RedScorpion27 wrote:

Impossible to import XP Mode to VMWare, because is not an authentical copy when i tried to input the activation code and I don't have an Original Copy of Win XP. I cancelled the WMWare installation. I stay with the Win 7 XP Mode.i thank all of you for your help.

You are absolutely WRONG!!!!

I have been using an imported XP Mode in VMware Player since the feature was added back in November 2009.

If you are being asked for an activation code in VMware Player, then you do not have XP mode installed, or installed properly, because it never asks for an activation code when importing an existing XP Mode vm!

You have to download and install the components of XP Mode before you can impost it into VMware!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Edited by Rick Dee Friday, January 27, 2012 3:56 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 3:51 PM
  • If you have already installed XP Mode then shut it down and start VMWare Player.  Use the Import XP Mode link on the VMWare Player menu.  It will not ask you for any product key.  The copy of XP in XP Mode is already licensed.  It can be used legitimately in any virtualization solution on your computer that supports XP Mode (VMWare does). 

If you are being asked for a product key you are trying to create a new virtual machine in VMWare.  That has nothing to do with XP Mode.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 4:14 PM