none
Windows XP Missing Boot Manager RRS feed

• Question

• After trying to install BitDefender, a new antivirus, and having some difficulty uninstalling Trend Micro, I restarted and wound up at a blue screen that said 'kernel32.dll is missing or corrupt'. I booted into the BIOS and ran hardware checks, and tried booting with a Windows recovery CD and auto-repairing, but it won't let me. Part of the error message is 'Problem Signature 06: MissingBootManager'. After booting to the CD and clicking repair, it will not locate the OS on the hard drive. I can access the hard drive and find drivers for my hardware, but I don't know if or which of those would help me. The closest someone came to having the same problem as me is Ravagna, who posted nearly the same problem here , but resolved it by 'wiggling hdd cables'. This is not working for me, nor do I have multiple OSs installed, just XP. I have the same problem code below;

Root cause found:
    ---------------------------
    Boot manager is missing or corrupt.

Repair action: File repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x15
    Time taken = 0 ms

---------------------------

I've also tried using the four bootrec commands that I know of in the command console; /fixmbr, /fixboot, /scanos, and /rebuildbcd, but I get the feeling they're not doing me any good without having located an OS to fix in the first place.

I would like to recover the files from the computer, which is why I haven't reinstalled the OS. Any help would be appreciated!
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 2:52 AM

All replies