THE ERROR “MEMBERS CAN’T REMOVE THEMSELVES FROM SECURITY GROUPS. PLEASE SET THE GROUP TO CLOSED FOR REQUESTS TO LEAVE.” WHEN EDITING A DISTRIBUTION GROUP. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to setup auto-response for a distribution group in Exchange 2010.  I go to EMC>group properties>advanced and check "Send out-of-office message to originator".  

Then I get an error "membor can't remove themselves from security groups.  Please set the group to closed for requests to leave".  

Google resolution is to use "set-distributiongroup  <alias of group> -memberdepartrestriction closed". 

Can someone advise what that command does?  If I need to reverse it, how do I do it?  

Friday, September 2, 2016 3:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The MemberDepartRestriction parameter specifies the restrictions that you put on requests to leave the group. Valid values are:

•Open   Members can leave the group without approval from one of the group owners. This is the default value for universal distribution groups. You can't use this value on universal security groups.

•Closed   Members can't remove themselves from the group, and requests to leave the group are rejected automatically. Group membership is controlled by the group owners. This is the default value for universal security groups.

Reverse command:

set-distributiongroup  <alias of group> -memberdepartrestriction open

Hope it helps,

Best Regards,

Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Monday, September 12, 2016 2:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason.Chao Friday, September 16, 2016 4:06 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2016 8:07 AM

All replies

• https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124955(v=exchg.141).aspx

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, September 2, 2016 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

The MemberDepartRestriction parameter specifies the restrictions that you put on requests to leave the group. Valid values are:

•Open   Members can leave the group without approval from one of the group owners. This is the default value for universal distribution groups. You can't use this value on universal security groups.

•Closed   Members can't remove themselves from the group, and requests to leave the group are rejected automatically. Group membership is controlled by the group owners. This is the default value for universal security groups.

Reverse command:

set-distributiongroup  <alias of group> -memberdepartrestriction open

Hope it helps,

Best Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Monday, September 12, 2016 2:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason.Chao Friday, September 16, 2016 4:06 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2016 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please provide us with an update on the status of your issue? If the reply helped, if so, please help to mark as answer, it'll be helpful and easily to search for others, thanks for your time.

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 12, 2016 2:34 AM