I was looking through the Device Manager and noticed that whilst the driver details have been updated to release 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp 080413-2108) when first clicking on the driver tab, it displays the driver version as 5.1.2600.2180.
eg Primary IDE Channel Driver Tab : Driver Date 7/1/2001 Driver Version 5.1.2600.2180
Driver Details : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp 080413-2108)
Driver Details : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\storprop.dll 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp 080413-2108)
In the registry, for the Primary IDE Channel at
the DriverVersion is 5.1.2600.2180
You should worry! Mine says 5.1.2600.0, with the same date.
I don't think this is a serious problem. You have verified that the actual driver files are build 5512, which is SP3. The version number displayed in the drivers tab is taken from the INF file that the driver installer last used. The INF files rarely neeed to change or be updated, even when the constituent driver files are updated.
FYI - I was having the same situation on the file versions as you described above. I just downloaded the Windows XP SP3 ISO image and re-installed it (i.e. SP3), BUT, this time I unplugged my USB drives and disabled my Antivirus and antispyware (SpyBot) prior to the re-installation. I've checked the file versions and they now appear to be correct.
Now, what is left for me is to see if my problem gets fixed, which was sudden reboots while transfering large files to any of my external USB drives.
This thread saved me. All sorts of weirdness started happening when I started to back my harddisk to my USB drive. Random reboots and then it would take the computer a day or so to slowly sort itself out. I couldn't even see the USB drive until I rebooted several times.
I think I have an easier way to get the driver versions consistant, rather than locating a SP3 ISO.
Note, the idea of uninstalling SP3 is a nightmare because there are several dozen or so updates on top of SP3 which might be unstable unpon SP3 uninstall.
What I did was unplug all of the physical USB devices, then deleted all the USB devices shown in the Device Manager. That included the Root Hubs, Universal Host Controllers, and the Enhanced Host Controller.
You will need a PS2 mouse and/or keyboard to perform this action.
After a Restart, the devices are found and installed with the ver 5512 USB driver.
Thanks for the info. Seems like something as common as SP3, Anti-Virus software running during the upgrade, and USB disks existing on the same computer and causing a very unstable machine would get more press and attanetion.
Mpnkey, you already have the correct version (5512) for the USB HID driver: there is no need to update it; 5512 is the correct version for SP3.
You have not explained what connection there is between an input device (the USB HID) and your printer problems. Please explain your printer problems in more detail.