none
MAK key?

General discussion

•  I bought a Lenovo T400 laptop off eBay, including an installation of Windows 7 Professional X64.  A very common situation with eBay purchases is that the installation has been activated with a "stolen" MSN key. The amount I paid for the laptop is reasonable, and the bid was made with the assumption that the OS install might not be legal, in which case I would wipe it.

I used the util "Keyfinder" to retrieve the key, to check against MSDN key ranges.

Keyfinder retrived the following key: BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB.  Googling a bit hints this may indicate the install was activated with a MAK key, a subject I am not familiar with. I do not want to wipe this installation if it is perhaps a legitimate install by a recycler. The COLA sticker on the bottom of the laptop is no help, indicating an original Vista install.

Windows Update currently works. There is no "Windows Genuine Advantage" warning.

How can the legitimacy of this install be determined? How can it be reinstalled if necessary?

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:48 AM

All replies