none
hard drive wont boot, bcd problem ? RRS feed

• Question

• hi, i finally got win7 loaded onto one of my spare harddrives and is working has it should be in a duel boot config, first hd has vista on (c drive) the second hd win7 (f drive).
    i want to remove the vista hd and just leave the win7 hd, but when i do this it will not boot,the motherboard dos'nt even see it has a primary drive ! i'm thinking this is something to do with bcd. with both drives in the machine i get a option at start up which hard drive to boot to, with just the win7 drive in the machine i get no boot options. so my qustion is how do i get my win7 harddrive to boot up with the first hd removed ?
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:14 AM

Answers

• cheers for the help chaps, i have tried a few of them options, but did come across a usefull post, well not really usefull but it did state theres no way of fixing it, basiclly the drives have been assigned drive letters c, f etc, so the f drive is mapped has that, when i take out the c drive, the f drive will become the c drive by default, then what happeneds every thing that was mapped in the reg to the f drive is useless, cos its no longer there. sort of makes sense.

bearing in mind this is a test setup,and is just to get a look and feel for windows 7, so far its worked really well, dont want to brown nose here, but it really is very good :)
    so will there be a problem if i format this drive and reinstall windows 7 again on the other working drive that i know boots up,this version of windows 7 has been activated so can i use the key code again, ? or will i need a new code ?
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Monday, June 8, 2009 10:21 PM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:14 PM

All replies

• When you pull one drive off, then just use the other, the BIOS won't 'see' the other (alone) because
    all HDD's have a switch or jumper in the back to indicate 'Primary" or 'Not primary'...

Your problem may or may not involve bcd (probably does) but your first step has to be to make or undo that jumper
    to indicate 'Primary'.

Others may be able to help here about the jumper or switch...

Chances also are that the "new" drive does not have an 'MBR' on it, with the 'Active bit' set in the Partition Table.

Frankly, until you get these things sorted out (if I were you) I'd keep the double drive setup until I've made a list of what
    has to be done...

Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:59 AM
  • thanks for the replys so far, @java_az, running though the repair option on the dvd, this has'nt done anything. i did find a post on this that said run it a few times has it can only fix one problem at a time, i've ran it many times now with no success.

@frankenstynerjcr, " Chances also are that the "new" drive does not have an 'MBR' on it, with the 'Active bit' set in the Partition Table.". this is my gut feeling to, but not got a clue how to fix it, its hard to find a post on how to slove this.
    the drive's i've got are both sata, so dont have any jumpers, they should set them selfs to either primary or slave.but there is a strange problem that occurs, when in duel boot they are both listed has primary drives, when the vista drive is removed, and i try to boot into the win7 drive, in the bois its showing has a slave !
    is this a clue to show the mbr is not loaded on to the win7 drive ? and if so ... well you know what i'm going to ask, how do i get the mbr onto the win7 drive ??..

Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:01 PM
  • if you google fix mbr you will see several options for repairing the MBR.  Don't know if they'll
    work for Win 7, but I'd give them a try.  See if there is a fix mbr option on RC1 install DVD.

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi, Intel E8500 processor, 4gb DDR3 Gskill, Evga Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb, onboard Marvel lan, onboard Ralink Wifi, Onboard Soundmax, 1 500gb Sata 2 hard drive, 1 sata DVD drive. Win Bus 64, Win 7 64, Mac os x 10.5.6
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Also, if your motherboard supports it, you may be able to select the boot device
    by pressing f8 as soon as system boots.  My mobo lets me select the boot device
    if I press f8 during boot.
    Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi, Intel E8500 processor, 4gb DDR3 Gskill, Evga Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb, onboard Marvel lan, onboard Ralink Wifi, Onboard Soundmax, 1 500gb Sata 2 hard drive, 1 sata DVD drive. Win Bus 64, Win 7 64, Mac os x 10.5.6
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:22 PM
  • cheers for the help chaps, i have tried a few of them options, but did come across a usefull post, well not really usefull but it did state theres no way of fixing it, basiclly the drives have been assigned drive letters c, f etc, so the f drive is mapped has that, when i take out the c drive, the f drive will become the c drive by default, then what happeneds every thing that was mapped in the reg to the f drive is useless, cos its no longer there. sort of makes sense.

bearing in mind this is a test setup,and is just to get a look and feel for windows 7, so far its worked really well, dont want to brown nose here, but it really is very good :)
    so will there be a problem if i format this drive and reinstall windows 7 again on the other working drive that i know boots up,this version of windows 7 has been activated so can i use the key code again, ? or will i need a new code ?
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Monday, June 8, 2009 10:21 PM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:14 PM
  • The 'Disk signature' problem sounds correct.
    Before you format the Win 7 drive, you should delete the Win 7 boot entry in the BCD store.

If you can, boot normal Vista with both drives as normal config.

Then use this:    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709667.aspx

Download:  "Vista_BCD_edit.docx" from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/bcd.mspx

Your (eventual) typein will be something like "BCDEdit /delete ID" -- see Michael Petersen's post at:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/e071dd6f-051d-4fd7-989a-327c5276c2c0

For install keys -- I posted 15 of them somewhere.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/9390df8f-09ac-4c1b-8ca9-95618129b3f3

MS really wants us to test Win 7 real good.

You're not absolutely clear as to where the new 7 install is going.
    Sounds like the Vista drive (HDD0) whereas the other (soon to be formatted) drive is HDD1, with no install there.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who know binary and those who don't...
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:33 PM