none
BAD_POOL_CALLER error, Windows 7 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• hey everybody! I've been having some trouble with my computer lately. I had a couple of bad crashes that made my computer die so hard it had to be formatted. The computer shop reinstalled the OS and it's been good enough except that sometimes it turns off at random and restarts itself, or I get random BSODs. It has me on constant edge and driving me mad!

It just BSOD'd with the BAD POOL CALLER error and created a minidump, so I figured I could post here and see if someone may be able to help. I'm really computer illiterate... I already checked for unsigned drivers and the system didn't find anything off.

Here's the download on gdrive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dWZOSFLpVGnBebqs9_M9dxV0G1zLQ1Ov/view?usp=sharing

Hopefully someone may be able to help me shed some light on the issue. Fingers crossed, thank you in advance!! 

Sunday, March 10, 2019 7:41 PM

All replies

• Windows OS,64BIT  & even 32BIT have a setting flaw with memory (Virtual Memory/Page File)..To reset,R.click my computer/properties/advanced/virtual memory/advanced/change button..With C:  highlited,set to Let System Manage, click set 2X exit,restart pc..This works with any storage device once its Active in diskmgmt.msc.

Also,this being Ram Memory is ok

Monday, March 11, 2019 1:39 AM
  • Thank you so much for the response! I've tried to do this change now. For anyone interested, I found it by going to the start menu, right-click Computer, Properties, Advanced System Settings, Performance Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory Change.

Over here the "automatically manage paging file size" option was checked so I couldn't make any changes, so I unchecked it, selected C, ticked "system managed size", then Set, OK, and I restarted the computer afterwards.

Hope I did this correctly! I've never had to dig so deep into the computer before.

I also have no idea of the RAM may be having issues, hopefully not... I guess we'll see :(

Thanks again for the response and I will update if I have more issues! I feel this machine is cursed now :(

Monday, March 11, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

From the dump, we can find the BugCheck C2 was CAUSE by NETw5s64.sys which is the Intel Wireless WiFi Link Driver.

The driver is 2010 and it's too old, it's recommended to contact with Intel and update it, then check the symptom.

start             end                 module name
    fffff880`0587a000 fffff880`05fdc000   NETw5s64 T (no symbols)           
        Loaded symbol image file: NETw5s64.sys
        Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\NETw5s64.sys
        Image name: NETw5s64.sys
        Timestamp:        Tue Jun 01 03:05:02 2010 (4C04085E)
        CheckSum:         00756F73
        ImageSize:        00762000
        Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 11, 2019 7:35 AM
  • Oh my gosh, thank you for the answer and for actually looking at the minidump! I've updated my driver and I hope it'll help. I had no idea it was that old lol! I'll update here if another BSOD happens again.

Just in case, I still have an older minidump from February - would you mind taking a look at it to see if it was the same driver causing trouble, or if it was something else? I've uploaded it to gdrive as well, here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uyPIT3CU2Vqmb7k6OhZfj52ep79BxRZw

Thanks in advance! :)
    Monday, March 11, 2019 3:13 PM
  • The older BSOD mini dump file had a different bugcheck.

There was no misbehaving driver identified in the debugging.

The opening post misbehaving driver was: 

NETw5s64.sys Mon May 31 12:05:02 2010 (4C04085E)

The BIOS is out of date.

Update the BIOS:  A07 > A08

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=r309739&oscode=w764&productcode=xps-15

If there are any more BSOD logs can be collected for troubleshooting.

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Monday, March 11, 2019 3:30 PM
  • Hi,

I have checked the old dump you provided and the result is the same as questionsformicrosoftproducts. It has a different bugcheck 0xc5.

For your reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0xc5--driver-corrupted-expool

Best regards,

Yilia 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:28 AM
  • Thanks for the response! I tried to update my BIOS as suggested but the computer crashed when I tried, so I would rather not risk bricking my machine since I know BIOS tinkering is serious business. The computer has been performing badly, so I'll probably just deal for some time and have it formatted in a few months once I have enough money to spare.

Once again I will update if anything else happens or if it crashes again! :)

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

It's recommended to contact with your manufacturer if you want to update the BIOS.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to post here. 

Best regards,

Yilia 

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:27 AM
  • My same issue started after installing an updated USB3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver.

I rebooted into safe mode and uninstalled the driver.  Problem solved.

Friday, August 2, 2019 6:00 PM