none
Office365 - poor man journaling - what are my options? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 

Hybrid - Office 365 - Mailboxes in the Cloud

I understand that I can set the mailboxes to Litigation and in-Place holds but will that have a cost on the Recoverable Items folder (limited to 30GB growth)? Is that correct?

Is it better to set retention policies and will this also be affected by the 30GB growth?

Thanks, M

Maelito

Monday, November 11, 2019 4:44 PM

Answers

• I see, from what I read it was only up to 30GB. What is the recommendation for my objective? A hold or retention policies? What about licensing? I have E3 on my users. And recovery? Can it be done from the Security console? Thanks for your help, appreciated’

Maelito

Hold or the new-style retention policies from the SCC will do ("traditional" retention policies you configure from the EAC are a different feature, they don't help preserving data). E3 and above license is needed for most of the compliance-related features. Recovery can be done, but it's a very manual process.

If you need this in order to meet compliance requirements, hold is the way to go. It will help you keep all relevant data, immutably, for the duration needed. Moreover, it keeps it in-place, allowing you to easily search it if needed, or export/recover messages. It also extends to deleted users via the Inactive mailboxes functionality: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/create-and-manage-inactive-mailboxes

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 8:54 AM

All replies

• No, not really. The recoverable items subtree has its own quota, not related to the mailbox quota, and you can increase it if needed. In O365, simply putting the mailbox on hold (retention policies from the SCC included) will set the quota to 100GB, if you need more you have to contact support.
    Monday, November 11, 2019 6:23 PM
  • I see, from what I read it was only up to 30GB. What is the recommendation for my objective? A hold or retention policies? What about licensing? I have E3 on my users. And recovery? Can it be done from the Security console? Thanks for your help, appreciated’

Maelito

Monday, November 11, 2019 8:55 PM
  • Hi,

Here is an article about it: Mailbox folder limits across Office 365 options

Recoverable Items folder for primary mailbox is limited: not on hold is 30 G, on hold is 100 G. This quota is limited and will not growth. 

Only the size of Recoverable Items folder for an archive mailbox will growth when it is full.

The recoverable Items folder will only remain items 14 days. After that, items will be delete from it automatically, it will not occupy the quota of recoverable Items folder. It is difficult to reach 100 G for archive mailbox within 14 days.

All in all, you don't need to care about the effect of it.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:09 AM
  • Thanks, is this good practice to place all mailboxes on a hold? This is so I can have journaling setup. No email is ever hard deleted and I can recover it easily. M

Maelito

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 8:43 AM

Maelito

Hold or the new-style retention policies from the SCC will do ("traditional" retention policies you configure from the EAC are a different feature, they don't help preserving data). E3 and above license is needed for most of the compliance-related features. Recovery can be done, but it's a very manual process.

If you need this in order to meet compliance requirements, hold is the way to go. It will help you keep all relevant data, immutably, for the duration needed. Moreover, it keeps it in-place, allowing you to easily search it if needed, or export/recover messages. It also extends to deleted users via the Inactive mailboxes functionality: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/create-and-manage-inactive-mailboxes

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 8:54 AM
  • Thanks, is this good practice to place all mailboxes on a hold? This is so I can have journaling setup. No email is ever hard deleted and I can recover it easily. M

Maelito

It is deiced by your organization demand. If you need keep this emails, you can enable hold for them.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:46 AM
  • Hi

So sorry for the delay -

To resume: I can enable in-palce hold for all exisitng users - any deleted items from now on (or in the last 14 days(default setting) will be kept forever, and there Recov Folder will be growing up to 100GB. 

Any new users will need to be set in-place hold.

Is that correct? 

M

Maelito

Thursday, November 21, 2019 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

When using in-place hold on Exchange online, you need to choose specific mailboxes that you want to place on hold. You cannot choose all mailboxes. So, new created mailbox need to be add to in-place hold again(will not automatically). Create or remove an In-Place Hold

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Hi Maelito,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:15 AM