none
Installation fails (constant rebooting when restarts for first use) - both 32bit and 64 bit versions

Question

• Anyone any ideas how to get this working:

I have a system with a large SATA hard disc.

Currently it has XP, Vista32 and Vista64 installed in a multiboot setup on three separate partitions.

I have tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 beta and both install to a fourth partition without flagging up any problems at all. The computer restarts as required etc. until the setup is complete.

The final restart completes and Windows tries to start but after waiting a few seconds with the Win7 logo pulsating the screen blanks and the system restarts.

After that each time it says Windows didn't shut down properly.

It doesn't make any difference which boot option I choose Windows never actually starts up.

My system is:

ASRock 939N68PV-GLAN motherboard
    AMD Athlon64 939 (single core CPU)
    2Gb memory
    WD Caviar SATA hard disc (with Win XP, Vista and Vista 64 installed in separate partitions)

Onboard graphics and sound.
    Standard MS AT style mouse and keyboard
    LCD 19" monitor

Nothing else connected.

Anyone got any ideas why or how to fix it?
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:31 PM

Answers

• In summary there seem to be a couple of solutions to this problem.

Both solutions seem ultimately to involve installing the Vista drivers for your mother board rather than the beta Win 7 drivers - so that is where the problems seem to lie.

The majority of the affected systems appear to be nVidia chipset motherboards with GeForce integrated graphics. This isn't exclusive but does seem to be the case for most users who have submitted comments.

Solution One (simpler if it works):

Use analogue (VGA) graphics port on your motherboard rather than VGA during installation.

Disable Windows Update automatic update - set to notify me of updates but do not install.

Once installed and running download and install the most recent Vista motherboard drivers from the chipset manufacturer and install them.

Replace VGA cable with DVI cable and reboot.

Solution Two (if above does not work):

Install a separate graphics card and install your system using that graphics card.

Disable Windows Update automatic update - set to notify me of updates but do not install.

Now install Vista motherboard drivers as above.

Remove the extra graphics card and reboot.

IMPORTANT: In both cases Windows Update will try to install the beta drivers for your motherboard again - don't let it as this will put you back to square one! If you manually check Windows update you can tell it to ingore that Windows 7 beta drivers in future and then if you want automatic updates set Windows update back to automatic setting.

• Marked as answer by Carol Haynes Monday, January 26, 2009 10:29 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 10:29 AM
  • At least for me the problem has been fixed in the nVidia and nForce driver packages that are available under Windows 7 on nVidia.com.

My solution with the RC was as follows:

Connect analogue monitor connection to PC
    Install RC
    Run windows update
    Download nForce and nVida driver packages from nVidia.com
    Reboot
    Switch off and restore the DVI cable
    All works fine.

Hope that is helpful to others. Shame they couldn't have fixed this in the RC distribution since the nVidia drivers were available before the RC was available. Hopefully it will finally get fixed in the full release.
    • Marked as answer by Carol Haynes Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:47 PM

All replies

• Sounds like Windows is bugcheck'ing and rebooting; causing it to boot loop.  Are you able to use F8 during the initial OS selection screen to go into safe and see if you're able to successfully go into Windows 7?

Also, through one of your alternate multi-boot OSes, check for a memory.dmp file in the Windows 7 "\Windows" directory.  Based on that information you can choose to try and determine the failing driver.  Mark Russinovich provides a set of detailed technical steps to determine a likely root cause:  http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/12/30/3174871.aspx

Let us know how it turns out.
    Stephen Lodwick [MSFT]
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:59 PM
  •  In your scenario, the suggestion proposed by Stephen would definitely be the most definitive way to find out why the problem is occurring.  In the event that you do not want to look at a kernel dump with WinDbg, an alternative method would be to enable boot logging and to disable the automatic restart failure.  The boot logging should display the drivers as they are being loaded and the disabled restart will allow you to see the actual blue screen which contains the offending driver an error code and a couple of bits of information regarding the actual failure.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Hi, I'm facing the same issue as well. I created a new partition and am trying t install win 7 into it. My other os is windows vista, which is working fine.

Its exactly at the same place in the installation process that the system keeps rebooting.

Per you above suggestion, I tried getting into safe mode only to get a message saying that Safe mode cannot be used during the installation process and the system must be restarted to complete installation. And it goes into the loop again. Unable to get to the memory dump.

My system is a compaq pressario with pre installed win vista sp1 32 bit home premium, dual cpu, 256 mb dedicated video ram, 2gb ram. 500 gb hd (with 50 gb partition for win 7).

Except the keyboard and mouse nothing else connected.

Any help?

Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:06 PM
  • I'm having the exact same issue as rajivwin7. I have a Windows Vista Ultimate install, created a 100gb NTFS partition for Windows 7. Install went fine but when I got to my first bootup I get past the windows startup logo and then get a black screen with the build number in the lower left. The first time this happened I let it sit and it rebooted after about 15 minutes. Next time it never rebooted after leaving it for 3 hours. I ended up doing a reinstall and got the exact same results.

My computer is Intel Q6600 2.4ghz, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS (640mb), 4gb RAM, 320gb and 500gb HD (this is being installed onto a 100gb partition on the 500gb HD).

Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Same problem here. It bluescreens and restarts just before installation is finished. Safe mode doesn't work, saying setup hasn't finished yet.

I tried the 64 bit version, it bluescreens on an error in nvlddmkm.sys
    Also tried the 32 bit version, it bluescreens with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Fresh install on a harddrive which is for Windows 7 beta only. XP 32/64 and Vista 32/64 run fine on this computer, using a different harddrive.

Asus A8N-VM CSM mainboard with 2 GB Ram

Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:16 PM

• So are you getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen in the nvlddmkm.sys driver for both the 32 and 64 bit versions ?

In case you were wondering the nvlddmkm.sys is a 32 bit kernel mode driver which is part of the set of NVidia display driver files.

I am using the NVidia WDDM display driver that shipped with the 64 bit version of the Windows 7 BETA on an NVidia GE Force 8800 GT with 512 Mb video RAM.  I have an Asus P5E motherboard with 4Gb of RAM.

I am having another issue with the Windows Experience Index which may be video driver related.

I hope this additional information helps in finding a workaround to your current problem.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:41 PM
  • The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR _EQUAL is a driver issue. Try reinstalling the drivers

As for Windows didn't shut down properly. Load into the Win 7 dvd and select the repair option on the bottom left. There then should be an option to Repair Startup. 

I hope this helps

Matthew Arkin ITligence Computer Services Microsoft Partner OEM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:10 AM
  • I have tried the Repair Disk option as well. It does not help. Installation is not complete and the root cause it diagnozed is 'Failure while setup is in progress'. 
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:58 AM
  • I have the same problem with both 32 and 63-bit versions of new Microsoft download. It installs fine and does two restarts. When it is setting up for first time, it hangs, then reboots. I inserted install disk and tried to repair, but that had no solution. I have loaded to other computers without a problem. I have a Gateway Intel Quad with 4MB RAM and Nvidia GForce7100 graphics card. This is very frustrating when I see it work on other systems. This computer is one month old and came with Vista 64-bit Home Premium, so I'm sure it's capable of running Win 7. Please give me options to try and I am willing to work on this.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:16 AM
  • Thanks for the replies.

@M Lopez:
    > So are you getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen in the nvlddmkm.sys driver for both the 32 and 64 bit versions ?

No, the nvlddmkm.sys error is with 64 bit windows. I think it was an access violation.
    The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error is with 32 bit windows. I don't think it mentioned any files.

@Matthew Arkin:
    > Try reinstalling the drivers

That's easier said than done. The only way to get into the system is safe-mode-with-command-line. I've never seen the desktop.

The installer's Repair option says it can't be repaired automatically.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:57 AM
  • I have the same problem,I did post it here too,I think it has something to do with integrated video, or nvidia video cards.

Giel123 said:

Thanks for the replies.

@M Lopez:
    > So are you getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen in the nvlddmkm.sys driver for both the 32 and 64 bit versions ?

No, the nvlddmkm.sys error is with 64 bit windows. I think it was an access violation.
    The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error is with 32 bit windows. I don't think it mentioned any files.

@Matthew Arkin:
    > Try reinstalling the drivers

That's easier said than done. The only way to get into the system is safe-mode-with-command-line. I've never seen the desktop.

The installer's Repair option says it can't be repaired automatically.

Can you install some kind of drivers in safe-mode-with-command-line?

Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:06 AM
  • Thanks everyone for your responses and ideas. I am afraid I deleted the partition in digust and haven't had a chance to try again since I posted the original post in this thread.

I suspect it is to do with graphics cards. I have another graphics card I can put in my machine (and disable the onboard graphics) to see if that makes a difference. Unfortunately the card I have is also from the NVIDIA GeForce 7 range so I suspect it will make no difference.

Is there any way to force windows to install with bare VGA graphics and then install drivers from the NVIDIA website?
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:28 AM
  • Please if you have time try with the card :).
    Waiting for the result:D
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Some extra info on my The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error on 32 bit windows:

The blue screen mentions: STOP 0x0000000A (0x827100BF, 0x00000002, 0x00000008, 0x827100BF)

ntbtlog.txt ends with:

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\umbus.sys
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS

I tried disabling the onboard LAN in the BIOS, but that didn't help.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:24 PM
  • I'm facing a similar problem and relieved to see that I am not alone.  I'm installing Windows 7 on my primary master.  Installation gets to "Completing installation..." then bluescreens very quickly and reboots.  It gets to Starting Windows and reboots, then loops.  The bluescreen flashes by too quickly for me to catch what it says.  If I try to boot into safe mode, it seems to freeze at 'agp440.sys'.  Doing the "repair" option from the cd doesn't help.

1.8 ghz, 1 gig ram, Geforce 7600 GS 512 mb.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:27 PM
  • my ntbtlog.txt ends the same both 32bit and 64bit :(...
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:53 PM
  • hmm sorry, the freeze at agp440.sys must have been a fluke thing last night.  It does make it past that and eventually pops up a windows saying something to the effect of "windows shutdown unexpectedly.  Windows cannot continue installation..." . This is just with safe mode.  Normal boot just causes the reboot loop.

My ntbtlog.txt has a butt-load of drivers that do not load, a lot of them referring to "Wan Miniport", it all starts after agp440.sys.  But I do manage to get a few drivers loaded after the NDProxy.sys.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:23 PM
  • I have had another crack at it.

I installed a GeForce 7300GT OC PCIe card and disabled onboard graphics.

Win7 then installed - however there were some motherboard devices not recognised (SMbus was one).

I went to nvidia.com and ran the driver ID tool and it appears that Win7 incorrectly identifies my nForce 630MA motherboard as a 570.

There are no other Win7 drivers available at NVidia so I downloaded the Vista motherboard driver (which includes onboard graphics).

Installing the Vista driver for the correct motherboard and then restoring the onboard ghraphics adapter got my system working (At least in 32 bits - I haven't retried the 64 bit version). All devices were installed and working correctly.

As soon as the system booted up Windows update offered my the nvidia 630MA Win 7 beta driver. I let it install it and this killed my system again back into the reboot scenario.

I have now restored the vista drivers and told WUpdate to ignore the beta driver update in future.

It would appear that Win7 has problems identifying some motherboards correctly and also the nvidia beta motherboard/graphic drivers available from MS seem to be the problem - even when you do install the correct ones manually.

Hope this is helpful to others - how do I report this issue to MS ?

For future reference it would be really useful to know how to install Win7 with basic VGA support to be able to bypass these issues in future installs.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Carol Haynes said:

I have had another crack at it.

I installed a GeForce 730GT OC PCIe card and disabled onboard graphics.

Win7 then installed - however there were some motherboard devices not recognised (SMbus was one).

Only thing is, seems like people having the installation issues, have an nvidia card.  Not sure why yours installed using an nvidia card.  Unless the problem is more specific to AGP.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Most of us have a built in nvidia card.and it seems that the drivers for it are the problem.

I know it isn't really legal,i think it isn't, but could we vlite it to remove nvidia graphics driver?
    I'll try and post an answer:D
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:18 PM
  • I'd be very surprised is vLite will work without any tweaking on Win7.

How about this for a suggestion (I don't know if it will work):

During installation when windows BSODs and reboots on the next restart choose VGA graphics from the startup options. See if you can then get into Windows and if you can download and install the Vista driver from NVIDIA.

Make sure you don't give Windows Update free access to install updates otherwise the same buggy driver will be installed.

Once everything is working go in to Windows update, check for updates and hide the NVIDIA update so it doesn't kill your system again.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Carol,

Thanks for the info. You are 100% correct. I would like to see a default VGA install and then the ability to load proper drivers. I had the same issue with build 6801. It loaded fine and then I updated the video drivers per Windows Update. System would then not load. I hope MS can come up with a work around for this soon.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:27 PM
  • No luck for me yet:

- Booting in 640x480 doesn't help much. The monitor goes in power-down mode, so you can't see anything. The computer doesn't seem to reset until you press a key though, so I guess that's an improvement ;-)

- Installing the NVidia Vista driver via the command prompt doesn't work. It says there's no room to extract the file on X:\, but I guess that's because it can't write to X:\
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:14 PM
  • CAn you install NVIDIA drivers from a command prompt? I have never tried but the installer is just a ZIP file so you could use command line UNRAR or UNZIP from the command line to unzip the installation package to the C: drive and then run it from there.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:24 PM
  • I have same problem but I have ATI card so don't think it is un ique to nVidia
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:47 PM
  • There must have been changes made between 6801 and 7000. I can install 6801 in 32 or 64 bit. Hopefully MS is checnking these foums and will come up with a solution soon. I really would like to try out the latest build of Windows 7!
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Installing the nvidia drivers from the command prompt didn't work. First it says "driver installed", but then it says "the system hasn't been changed".

So I used Carol's trick and temporarily added a graphics card, so the onboard one wouldn't be used. After installing Windows I removed the card. Then Windows loaded the buggy driver and it bluescreened again, but now the windows installation has finished and you can run it in safe mode and install the nvidia Vista drivers. Thank's Carol!
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Just to add, my Nvidia card is not an onboard one so this issue is not isolated to just onboard graphic cards. Unoriginality, Carol's trick will not work for me.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Did you try booting into VGA mode from the startup options to try and force Win7 to ignore the graphics drivers?
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:55 PM
  • Carol,

I tried that, as well as every other way to boot from the F8 menu. Nothing works at this point.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Carol Haynes said:

Did you try booting into VGA mode from the startup options to try and force Win7 to ignore the graphics drivers?

Yes, I did attempt that method but got the same result.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:04 AM
  • add one more to teh list havign exact same issue. I have an Nvidia geforce 8800Ultra. Donno if this helps or not but i was able to install win7 32 bit the other day on the same machine no hardware changes. Now i cant install new 32 or 64 bit. I didnt do anythign diferent i have no idea what this could be. I actualyl am runing win7 32 on one of the drives rite now an no issue its just the new install is a problem really weird.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:06 AM
  • Carol Haynes said:

Did you try booting into VGA mode from the startup options to try and force Win7 to ignore the graphics drivers?

Yes I did too and still had the issue. Any other work arounds would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:22 PM
  • The only solution I have found is to use a different graphics card to install and then download the graphics drivers (Vista version)  from the manufacturer's website for the card you want to use (or onboard graphics)
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:31 PM
  • hmm not a bad idea,  I could go pick up a cheapy vid card and disable the on board until install is completed

Thanks, I might give that a shot.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Carol Haynes said:

Anyone any ideas how to get this working:

I have a system with a large SATA hard disc.

Currently it has XP, Vista32 and Vista64 installed in a multiboot setup on three separate partitions.

I have tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 beta and both install to a fourth partition without flagging up any problems at all. The computer restarts as required etc. until the setup is complete.

The final restart completes and Windows tries to start but after waiting a few seconds with the Win7 logo pulsating the screen blanks and the system restarts.

After that each time it says Windows didn't shut down properly.

It doesn't make any difference which boot option I choose Windows never actually starts up.

My system is:

ASRock 939N68PV-GLAN motherboard
    AMD Athlon64 939 (single core CPU)
    2Gb memory
    WD Caviar SATA hard disc (with Win XP, Vista and Vista 64 installed in separate partitions)

Onboard graphics and sound.
    Standard MS AT style mouse and keyboard
    LCD 19" monitor

Nothing else connected.

Anyone got any ideas why or how to fix it?

Hi Carol - based on your latest responses, it sounds as though you were able to successfully install Windows 7.  Furthermore, it seems reasonable that you narrowed down the driver failure to your on board video card.

To close down this thread and your particular failure, can you provide the make/model/manufacturer/version of your onbaord card?  As much information that you can provide would be appreciated. 

Note: One way to get quite a bit of the requested information is through the device installation log file (setupapi*.log).  If you have an XP/Vista installation on that physical hardware look for setupapi.log (XP) or the setupapi.dev.log (Vista) under the \Windows sub-folders.

Thank you,

Stephen Lodwick [MSFT]
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:51 AM
  • As I stated in my original post:

The motherboard is an ASRock 939N68PV-GLAN

This board uses an nForce 630A MCP chipset with integrated NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Graphics

I have 3Gb of RAM installed and an AMD Athlon64 XP 3000 CPU.

The most useful information that could be issued in this thread is how to force an install of Windows 7 with bare VGA drivers (ie. override the selection).

I presume there is a command line switch that could do this for Windows Setup but since Win7 isn't documented how can we find this information.

I am not suggesting that people take this path by default but if there is a problem it would allow people to at least get the OS installed.

By the way the problem is not the motherboard or graphics - it is Windows 7 (and probably the beta NVIDIA drivers included) that fail to correctly recognise the hardware and install it incorrectly. There are obviously bugs in the correct NVIDIA drivers supplied with Win 7 and via Windows Update because even when I have a system that is running correctly on Vista drivers derived from the NVIDIA drivers download site the new beta version installs the now correctly identified hardware and instantly hoses the system.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Carol,

You are correct with you assessment. I had to revert to an earlier build to load Win 7, becuase it did not recognize me NVidia 630 chipset. If I allowed Windows Update to update the chipset, it will not boot. We need a way to load bare bones as you say, so we can install and then update drivers. This is not a closed problem!
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:17 AM
  • Carol
        Please dont close this until the issue is solved
    We have the same problem without the  solution of an extra video card
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:36 AM
  • I have no intention of closing this until a solution is offered that doesn't require shifting hardware from machine to machine.

I am in the fortunate position that I build and fix machines for a living so I have loads of old hardware lying about the place but I don't want to have to open my case and change BIOS settings when I want to wipe the partition and reinstall it (or the 64 bit version which i haven't got round to yet since the original problem arose).
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:39 AM
  • Instead of having this particular "constant rebooting" thread continue, I would prefer to file a beta report for these particular drivers and report back to the thread.  Ultimately, this is up to Carol and the community.

There are a number of posts to this thread that have similar symptons but are actually quite different issues.  If the purpose is to root cause each issue and identify the failing driver then I would propose doing this in seperate threads.  I would encourage that path if we want to help people get to the quickest resolutions/work arounds.

In Carol's case, the only viable work around at this point is to disable the on-board video card, install a new video card or force it to detect has VGA through a BIOS setting.  There is no parameter for Windows Setup that allows you to force this to detect as VGA.

I will follow up with the thread in the next few days.

Stephen Lodwick [MSFT]

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:13 AM
  • That's fine by me - so long as the issue is still ongoing and I get some feedback I don't mind this thread being broken into separate threads for different issues.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:00 AM
  • I made several attempts to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Beta and my desktop goes into a reboot cycle at the same "completing installation" point. I am using the on-board video on a Biostar TF7025-M2 which is based on the NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a(MCP68S) chipset. Coincidence? I think not.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:15 AM
  •  As I mentioned here before. I am able to load Build 6801 of WIndows 7 on my Gateway Intel Quad Core Nvidia nForce6301/GeForce7100. I have same issues trying to load either 32-bit or 64-bit of recent Win 7 version from MS. I even tried to upgrade build 6801 with build 7000. It made it all the way through, but stopped on last resatrt. System was unable to apply upgrade and reverted back to build 6801. I just wish there was some easy way to install bare bones and try to upgrade once the system is working. I will continue to monitor this forum for suggestions.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:20 PM
  • I believe I'm having the same problem. The files copy, extract and begin to install but while completing the final install the computer enters into a reboot and never successfully enters into the full user interface.

Where should I send my log?

Also, I have the following:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500
    Built In NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i
    2.00 GB RAM
    ECS GF7100/7050PVT-M3
    Display Adapter Driver 7.15.11.7813
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:32 PM
  • I have been checking for a solution since the time I reported this issue on the first day of the beta release. My issue is similar to the last few ones. I find that my video card is also the nVidia GeForce 7100/ nForce 630i. I'll monitor this thread for a solution. Please do not close the thread till we have a solution. It's disappointing to not be able to install the Windows 7 beta on the forst go, like so many others were able to.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:12 AM
  • At least some sort of pattern is emerging - the problem seems to affect:

nForce 630 family of chipsets with integrated GeForce 7 series graphics.

Strangely the problem doesn't seem to apply to non-integrated graphics (at least not in my case) even when using  GeForce 7 series card!
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:43 AM
  • My grafix are ATI, exacaly the same thing happens, the box informing you "windows is preparing your desktop" half way through, blue screen, reboot, over and over. In safe mode it rus ok, I can't see anything wrong. If I reboot, same thing loops over and over again.

Your not going to have to up-grade your hardware again, are you ?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:13 PM
  • Have you tried downloading the Vista drivers for your graphics card from ATI and installing them in Safe Mode?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:15 PM
  • I have the most recent drivers installed from ATI. I think Win7 is somehow installing a basic driver. I've tried in Safe mode, installing the new driver, but get an error can not preform the current task in safe mode. I've even tried making an automated installation file that install it, but NO go either....

This is from an up-grade, I'll try a fresh install when I've more time, see what happens then.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:40 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I'm new here, but seem to be having the same issue with an added twist.
    My setup:
    MSI P6NG Neo-Digital mobo (as you probably guessed: NVIDIA® Geforece7100 + nForce630i Chipset)
    2GB memory (tested successfully with windows memory diagnostics)
    PS/2 Keyboard and nothing else.

I'm installing the publicly available windows 7 on a formatted partition, installation seems fine until I see the "Starting windows" animated logo and then suffer from a sudden reboot after which the Windows Error recovery loads up.
    When I try to "Start windows normally" I get another reboot.
    When I try to enter safe mode windows 7 seems to load up but then I get: "Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart the computer". Clicking ok reboots the machine, which tries to load up and reboots again.
    I went back to the installation DVD and went to "Repair your computer", I found 3 attempts were found:
    1: root cause found: "failure while setup is in progress", no other errors found
    2: "Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully", no other errors found
    3: "Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully", no other errors found

So here I am, probably with windows 7 falsely detecting my chipset or loading a faulty drivers, but I can't even boot in VGA mode since installation won't complete in that case. I don't have an additional display card to try, and I can't find a way to force VGA using the bios.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:10 AM
  • Hi again,

I've been tinkering with my machine a bit.
    I created two partitions, Installed Vista on one of them, installed the correct drivers (supplied with my mobo drivers CD) and then ran the Windows 7 Installation from within the Vista, asking it to install on the other (empty) partition. Installation went as well until I get the same reboot problems. I ran windows 7 with boot logging, and after another reboot I loaded up the Vista and look in the ntbootlog.txt file. The last several lines are interesting:
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\NDProxy.sys
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\NDProxy.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\hidusb.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\udfs.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mouhid.sys

I find it strange the VGA wasn't loaded, NDProxy (whatever it is) was loaded and then 4 times wasn't, and the last thing to be loaded it mouhid.sys.

I wish to get the windows 7 working somehow, maybe copy the correct driver from the Vista partition to the Win7 partition. The question is what should be copied (if it's possible) or what other way is there to get windows 7 working on my mobo?

Thank.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Carol
    Got too cold to work in the shed.
    Moved to inside changed from LCD to vga monitor.
    Making this post using WIN 7.
    Thanks
                 mroscar
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Carol
      After installing and updating I downloaded the nvida driver from the Win 7 update
    I went back with the LCD monitor.
    Hope this is some help to you.
    Thanks
               mroscar

Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:41 PM
  • does your LCD have DVI or D-SUB connections? Mine has both I'll try with D-SUB.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:20 PM
  • All, if your PC reboots at "Completing Installation" and the goes into a reboot loop.  Try using VGA port.  I was having this issue and was using DVI port for my monitor on Nvidia chipset on board 7100 vga.  I am now typing this post using Windows 7 and IE .

Completing installation fails when it tries to detect the video and dvi port.

thanks.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:43 PM
  • OMG I can't belive it:D It is finally working:D
    The thing that solved it was using D-sub(vga) port of the motherboard to connect the monitor :D and not the DVI

I will try now the dvi port too:)
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:55 PM
  • I've been following this thread for a few days, so here's my two penn'orth.
    I doubt the problem has anything to do with display at all.

I have now successfully installed win7 on my Dell XP laptop and also on my Vista desktop.
    On both machines I installed onto its own partition so I can dual boot.

On both machines I had the same problem of constant rebooting at the final stage. I eventually got them going by doing fresh installs from the DVD (trying the repair option didn't work) - took three tries with the laptop and four with the desktop.
    Most frustrating but Win 7 now running smoothly on both machines!

Except that .......... at totally random times (on the desktop) it suddenly crashes to a black screen and has to be restarted.
    But that is probably the subject of a different thread.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:53 PM
  •  I had the same problem with an nvidia board an integrated HDMI port. It started booting normally after I switched to the VGA output.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Please add my name to the list of those who received a successful boot when switching from DVI to VGA. I then tried re-booting with DVI and system would not boot. I will try using Win 7 update to load latest video driver to see if I can boot and run with DVI conncected. Now only problem is slow Internet speed :(
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Wow, my problem is now solved... I booted using the d-sub and it installed fine. Installed Vista version of the the graphic card driver from nvidia and was able to swith back to dvi connection. Now it works fine... Thanks.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 7:50 PM
  •  Finally got it to work, switched to VGA and worked like a charm
    • Proposed as answer by Rosdol Monday, January 26, 2009 9:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carol Haynes Monday, January 26, 2009 10:19 AM
    Monday, January 19, 2009 7:51 PM
  • In summary there seem to be a couple of solutions to this problem.

Both solutions seem ultimately to involve installing the Vista drivers for your mother board rather than the beta Win 7 drivers - so that is where the problems seem to lie.

The majority of the affected systems appear to be nVidia chipset motherboards with GeForce integrated graphics. This isn't exclusive but does seem to be the case for most users who have submitted comments.

Solution One (simpler if it works):

Use analogue (VGA) graphics port on your motherboard rather than VGA during installation.

Once installed and running download and install the most recent Vista motherboard drivers from the chipset manufacturer and install them.

Replace VGA cable with DVI cable and reboot.

Solution Two (if above does not work):

Install a separate graphics card and install your system using that graphics card.

Now install Vista motherboard drivers as above.

Remove the extra graphics card and reboot.

IMPORTANT: In both cases Windows Update will try to install the beta drivers for your motherboard again - don't let it as this will put you back to square one! If you manually check Windows update you can tell it to ingore that Windows 7 beta drivers in future and then if you want automatic updates set Windows update back to automatic setting.

• Marked as answer by Carol Haynes Monday, January 26, 2009 10:29 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 10:29 AM
  •  the smbus is a driver from intel that is installed when you install the chipset drivers  ..if your motherboard has intel chipset then you need to install the chipset driver either from intel or your motherboard manfacturuer
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:33 PM
  • smbus is a driver that is installed when you install the chipset drivers for your motherboard (intel auto-inf)windows7 install most of other board drivers but not smbus(ich9 ok)
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:36 PM
  • I wish I'd found this thread sooner, because this is the exact problem I had.

Solution 1 worked perfectly for me.

FWIW, the NVIDIA Windows 7 drivers (from their website) don't work either.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:09 AM
  • SORRY  IF THIS IS POSTED IN THE WRONG SPOT-

I am new to this forum. I have a Core 2 Quad 9300in my box with the gforce 7050. I received the optional update notifcatoin for the 7050 update. I installed it and upon reboot I got a black screen and dos prompt adviding me the system could not load due to a 7050 issue. Sine that time I have had to do an F8 upon start=up and deisgnate the SATA drive where Win7 is located. Sytem then starts fine. I received another optoinal update for what I thought may be a fix for the prior. It now appears this may be the same update ( sent to me a second time??) . This time the update downloaded but would not install. Still have the start- up issue

here are the particulars:

I have the NVIDIA GFORCE 7050 in my box.
    I installed the NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 610i (Prerelease - WDDM 1.0)

Installation date: ‎3/‎30/‎2009 1:33 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

This driver was provided by NVIDIA for support of NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 610i (Prerelease - WDDM 1.0)

NOW I can not start Win7 Ult without doing an F8 and selecting  my HD from the dos prompt list. 
    Apparently the update corrupted something.  

Another NVIDIA optional update came to me a few days ago:

nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 610i Download size: 68.6 MB

I downloaded this update hoping it would repair the prior - it would not install-= 

nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 610i

Installation date: ‎4/‎16/‎2009 10:32 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070006

Update type: Optional

nVidia Display software update released in March, 2009

More information: 
    http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20254023

Help and Support: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

Still have the start-up issue

Thanks
    jimikahan@aol.com
    Friday, April 17, 2009 5:54 AM
  •  After reading the entire thread in this area, I am tempted to Uninstall the NVIDIA 7050 Update. Before that event, this maching ( a brand new out of the box PC) started up fine, even with Win7...it was not until I did the Nvidia "update" that I encountered the start-up problem. Not anxious to exacerbate this now seemingly minor problem, I thought I would ask the experts here.

Is it advised that I try this:

"Click the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation."

Thanks
    GYMCON

Saturday, April 18, 2009 11:26 PM
  • Hi, I had a similar problem on a HP tablet notebook. I took the hard drive out and did a clean format of it on another PC then installed W7 on this without using the partitioning or formatting tools. Worked a charm.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:48 AM
  • I still had this problem with RC...
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Yes I agree - the problem has not been resolved in the Release Candidate.

Anyone from MS care to comment as to why it hasn't been fixed - it is a pretty major bug when you can't even install it without having to mess about with hardware.

As far as I can tell the simplest fix still seems to work (i.e. swap to the analogue VGA port and ignore DVI). I haven't tried downloading the latest nVidia drivers for Windows 7 yet but I will try them and see if they improve the situation. They didn't last time and I had to use Vista drivers instead to allow a switch to DVI - even so Windows update wanted to update to the wrong drivers.

Come on MS - get this sorted out.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:10 AM
  •  "Click the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall . If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation."
    Difficult to do when you can't get windows to start!
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:12 AM
  • At least for me the problem has been fixed in the nVidia and nForce driver packages that are available under Windows 7 on nVidia.com.

My solution with the RC was as follows:

Connect analogue monitor connection to PC
    Install RC
    Run windows update
    Download nForce and nVida driver packages from nVidia.com
    Reboot
    Switch off and restore the DVI cable
    All works fine.

Hope that is helpful to others. Shame they couldn't have fixed this in the RC distribution since the nVidia drivers were available before the RC was available. Hopefully it will finally get fixed in the full release.
    • Marked as answer by Carol Haynes Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Did they seriously fail to rectify this issue? This is really kind of ridiculous; the error was reported thoroughly, and a temporary solution was developed. Now, I can see that if they were pressed for time to get the RC out and the issue had an easy work-around, it would be okay to skip it for now. However, this is a serious issue that precludes one from being able to even complete setup of Windows 7. In fact, the only work-around for this issue is for one to use a second video card to connect with analog with. Unless you have a usable card sitting around, this is really a ludicrous solution.

I have a lost a ton of respect for the Windows 7 project due to this issue. It's sad that they feel an issue as serious as this should go left unnoticed. I would love to trial and test the Windows 7 RC, however the fact that it cannot even install is quite a let down. I was okay waiting through the beta before this issue was fixed, I understand that bugs do exist and what not, but this truly is ridiculous now.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:12 PM
  • word.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:29 AM
  • I was having all these problem described here and I was using a HDMI cable. I changed the cable to VGA and it installed fine for 32bit and 64bit. If anyone is using a HDMI cable or even a DVI cable and having this problem try using a VGA cable on the on-board video. Hope this helps!
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 5:06 AM
  • It looks like the driver that comes with the RC is the corrupted one that fails on HDMI.  As multiple people have already mentioned, installing via D-SUB [analog], then updating to the current nvidia.com drivers and switching to HDMI works fine.

I would assume that the final version (so much for RC, lol) would have it working.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 4:30 AM
  • For completeness: On an Asrock N68PV-GS (7050/630a chipset), installation using theDVI port derailed as expected after reading this thread.

It was not sufficient to then "repair the computer" using the VGA port (resulted in a loop with W7 saying something like "Windows rebooted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Setup will continue after rebooting".

A fresh install using the VGA cable proceeded OK.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:27 PM
  • I unplugged my DVI and poof my screen was back and finished installing. Have NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300 also. After install plugged back in and picture went out.
    • Proposed as answer by dowood Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:54 PM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:56 AM