none
Disc Read Error....Please Help!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! Unfortunately, in the last two months, I have been getting intermittent disc read errors with my PC and am at wit's end with the issue :( At first, I thought it was my hard drives, but they pass software diagnostic tests, as well as the chkdsk tool via command prompt... I tried replacing all the SATA and power cables to the hard drives, as well as updating the BIOS and running memtest +86 to see if the RAM was the issue....however, the only time that I can go past the disk read error and get my computer to boot and work, (for a little while....until the issue resurfaces and I need to do this next step again..) is to unplug the computer at the power supply and discharge the motherboard (pressing the power key after the power supply is turned off). After waiting for 30 seconds or so, after plugging it back in, the computer works fine and works for a day or two until this is needed to be done again. Does anyone have any idea what may be occurring? :( Any ideas whether it may still be the hard drive? Or could it be the PSU or Motherboard? Please help!
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:34 AM

Answers

• Beowolf215

Nothing you dont already know in terms of the atapi disk controller errors but there are so many other issues that it might be inter related. 

Since you have gone though so many things it might be worth it to do a clean re-install.

I also not you are using AOD (an over clocking utility) which can also cause these types of issues.  If you are overclocking you should revert to stock at least to  test.

If that doesn't help it may be time to take it to a shop.

Some of the event viewer issues

1-Pinnacle service is corrupt

2-Vlc 2.10 often hangs

3-Besides the atapi issue there is also a HD controller error on HD 2 (DR7), HD 2 (DR5)

4-Because of the HD issues Garmin cant update

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:46 PM

All replies

• Did you try any 3rd party tool for testing the system?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/hardware-testing-software/

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:19 PM
  • Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to skydrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post
    If you have updated to win 8.1 and you get the error message "the system cannot find the file specified" it is a known problem.  The work around is to edit the registry.  If you are not comfortable doing this DONT.  If you are, backup the key before you do
    Press Win+"R" and input regedit

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels. Delete "Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic"

Saturday, January 11, 2014 3:52 PM
  • Here's the event log! Thanks for taking a look ahead of time :)

http://sdrv.ms/KO89Eb

• Edited by beowulf215 Saturday, January 11, 2014 9:02 PM
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 9:01 PM
  • Unfortunately yes I have :( I've used Memtest +86 to test my RAM to see if there was any issues with the memory and CPU, and then I used HD Tune to test the health of my drives.
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 9:02 PM
  • Beowolf215

Nothing you dont already know in terms of the atapi disk controller errors but there are so many other issues that it might be inter related. 

Since you have gone though so many things it might be worth it to do a clean re-install.

I also not you are using AOD (an over clocking utility) which can also cause these types of issues.  If you are overclocking you should revert to stock at least to  test.

If that doesn't help it may be time to take it to a shop.

Some of the event viewer issues

1-Pinnacle service is corrupt

2-Vlc 2.10 often hangs

3-Besides the atapi issue there is also a HD controller error on HD 2 (DR7), HD 2 (DR5)

4-Because of the HD issues Garmin cant update

Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:46 PM