Service Pack Did Not Install RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista Business x64. It took about 5 tries before I could get SP1 to even show up on windows update, but once it did, it downloaded without a problem, did it's initial install in windows without a problem and then shutdown to do its 3 phases. It got to 100% of stage 3 of 3 (the end), hung there for about 10 minutes and then said "service pack did not install. reverting changes." And it did, and it works just fine still. I dont have any of those problem drivers or programs for SP1, so why did it fail?
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:16 AM

Answers

• HA, here's to answering my own quesiton. I realized that I had Windows Modules Installer (trustedinstaller.exe) set to manual in services and stopped. Turn it on, set to automatic and made sure it was set to start up in system configuration and holy ***...it worked.

Somebody give MS a medal for this one. You would think that this should one of the many things it checks BEFORE it starts...and I don't know...maybe TELL me its a problem instead of flipping me off and undoing an hour's worth of work...

/sigh
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:34 PM

All replies

• All i can say on this one is a "me too" .. except in my case it's a Vista Business 32bit.

First time around the windows portion failed ... rebooted .. rechecked updates and it offered an Office 2007 Suite SP1 (or something similar ... though i don't have office installed). I let it install that update and after that the Windows portion of SP1 install completed without problems ... only to get the exact same Stage 3: 100% ... "Service Pack did not install. Reverting Changes" message.

I tried a recheck on Windows Update to see if it would offer another "update" like it did with the Office 2007 Suite SP1 update before ... but so far only SP1 ... and honestly .. i am not going to bother right now to simply retry only to get the same result 1-2 hours later.

With kind regards,
    --
      Pascal Hofstee

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:37 AM
  • after reading many threads in this forum , I've seen that nobody have an answer about how to uninstall SP1 RC.  There are a LOT of silly and useless answers but nothing of value yet. 

Some gurus would answer just about anything but in fact don't know anything about this problem.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:30 PM
  • We have experienced the same on Vista Ultimate x64. After churning for 1.5 hours, and two reboots, the update had quit and rolled back.

On identically configured Vista Enterprise x64 systems, Vista SP1 installed without incident.

Amusingly, the update took on systems with active anti-virus, but not on the same type of systems without active antivurus software (but just checked for viruses before attempting SP1 update).

----------

To Microsoft's lacking developers:

What we want to know is why your stupid Vista service pack update waits until after it's work is all but complete to give up and roll back. Why on earth are the impediments to finishing the installation of SP1 not detectable BEFORE it starts the lengthy process. Stupid (a million times stupid) developers to take this approach. It's also great not to get any specific error messages or even the slightest hint about WHY the SP1 update decides to quit in the end.

If the update consisted only of replacing operating system files, as it should, the process would take less than 15 minutes. Since the process takes more like 90-150minutes on even the newest systems (2GB RAM and 10k RPM HDD's), this leads back to the heaving disaster that is the Windows registry. This 1970's hierarchical database, a catch-all mess with the worst indexing on earth, has got to go.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:17 PM
  •  

I have the same problem on Vista Business 32-bit

Error code 8004100A

tsk tsk...

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:21 PM
  • After two failed attemps, I went to the logs or I should say I tried to go to the error log and could not find it.

I ran SFC /Scannow and it created a log that shows some of the TFF fonts are missing. Surely MS doesn't abort an update because of Fonts... You know it is completely unreasonable that they do not create a reason log and put it on the desktop, is that beyond reason? I don't think so,

It is hard to beleive that my HP Pavillion is not updateable on a full purchased windows home premium kit

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:00 PM
  • HA, here's to answering my own quesiton. I realized that I had Windows Modules Installer (trustedinstaller.exe) set to manual in services and stopped. Turn it on, set to automatic and made sure it was set to start up in system configuration and holy ***...it worked.

Somebody give MS a medal for this one. You would think that this should one of the many things it checks BEFORE it starts...and I don't know...maybe TELL me its a problem instead of flipping me off and undoing an hour's worth of work...

/sigh
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:34 PM
  •  

... i had it set to manual too, yes, but it still didn't install after I started the service...
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Ah but you see, we don't exactly have the same problem. I never saw an error code, just a reverting changes on the reboot during the last stage. You can't expect it to work. Who knows what little stupid thing is out of place on your system that is stopping it from going. Kinda like guess, test, and revise from high school math. Ah the memories...
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:27 AM
  • You would have seen an error code too, if you would have looked through the update logs.

"Service pack did not install. reverting changes." was the only thing I saw before I started going through the logs.

So yeah, I think we have "kinda" the same problem Stick out tongue

Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:32 AM
  • Spudman,

Thanks for discoveing a secret for exactly the same problem I encountered yesterday three times. I wa most aggravated by the lack of any feedback as to why it failed at all. I note that before going through the process there was some warning information about how long it might take and that the computer may shutdown and turn on again as part of the procedure. My rhetorical question is why didn't MS include suggestions for initial conditions like the very important "key" that you uncovered? Also, if there are any special instructions needed concerning anti-virus or firewalls (like leave on, turn off etc) why aren't they included? Why don't the wizards there think like customers who will, in all liklihood, be doing this themselves? Why wouldn't they do a what-if scenario to anticipate somevery basic problems? In short, this is a poorly thought-out rollout of an important upgrade. Again my thanks. If it doesn't work for me, then it is something else that I will scour various forums to try an solve.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:09 PM
  • You want to know the irony of this whole thing? When it installed and it turned back on, I checked Services and windows modules installer is now set to manual on its own. So I needed it set to automatic so SP1 could install and set it to manual...

This whole things feels like a bad joke being played on me.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:18 PM
  • You know it is hard to have any respect for Microsoft. They tell me that the upgrade was done on over 4 million computers and maybe I believe them and maybe I don't. My system is nothing special and made/created by HP and a Nvidia graphics card, nothing else, not even printers or scanners or any USB devices,

It goes through Phase 1 and reports 100% Complete and then reboots

It goes through Phase 2 and reports 100% Complete and then reboots

It seems to go through phase 3 and it works for about 10 to 15 minutes up to 98% complete and then without any fanfare or warnings or even a Advice box, it say "Service Pack did not install etc) and then it takes as long to revert but now I see it has wiped out all my system restore points.

I had made sure all Installer services were running but you think their software would check all the services in needs and turn them on.

My confidence in MS has fallen to a new low. Of course now if and when they get this working correctly I guess it is another 60 MB download.

Where are the installation logs recorded, I still can't find them

Totally ticked after 5 attempts - - No more

BTW all programs were disabled in the startup sequence, including spyware and virus and still no go

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Mine fails too., gets to 100% stage 3, then says did not install, reverting changes, when the system reboots, it gives 80004005 error in windows update history. no clue what this is for, and all the suggestions havent worked. I really hope I dont have to reinstal just to get sp1 like I had to with the beta.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:33 PM
  •  

so this is to say that I should of never paid for this stupid software...  next time and forever and ever, I will be a pirate and wait untill the pirate fix the microsoft bloatware.   Few days after the release of this SP1 we still don't have any news about what to do to install it for those who have installed the RC1 . No patch , no news, nothing...

PIRATED COPY FROM NOW ON>>>   why pay for being robbed..  I feel like a looser with microsoft..

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:36 PM
  • Since my earlier post I have tried it twice once I drilled down far enough to find the Module Installer "switch" and turned it to Automatic. Since then I have tried and failed twice now to install SP1 and both times I went all the way to 100% of the third phase of installation. I wish I knew why it worked for you. You are right -it does feel like a bad joke. Thanks anyway....

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:14 PM
  • If I couldn't get SP1 to install, I was going to go back to XP. But since I really need DX 10, I gave it another shot. My suggestion is that if you dont require DX10, go back to XP and wait for Windows 7 in 2010. Besides DX10...is there any other reason to get Vista?
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:39 PM
  • Where did you check for the auto or manual settings for Windows Modules Installer???

Thanks

Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:02 PM
  •  Rio1946 wrote:

Where did you check for the auto or manual settings for Windows Modules Installer???

Thanks

type services in the start menu.

Friday, March 21, 2008 12:52 AM
  • It took some doing but I started in Control Panel, then went to Administrative Tools. There you will see a list of programs beginning with Computer Management, Data Sources etc. Towards the end you will see Services. Choose it to reveal a long list of items in alphabetical order. Scroll down to the Ws and you will see Windows Modules Installer. Double click it and up comes a Properties panel that shows it's service name Trusted installer. In Startup Type it should say Manual. Using the drop down menu select Automatic. A bit futher down make sure it is started using the Start button. Before exiting ensure you hit Apply. Spudman did this and SP 1 installed for him but it did not work for me in two tries. I hope it works for you. Good luck.

Friday, March 21, 2008 1:32 AM
  • Fish23,

Thanks for the help. I found it and changed it to automatic. It has failed 4 times after saying it's loaded 100% on section 3 then does the revert thing. Really strange software.

Thanks again for the help,

Rio1946

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:10 AM
  • BattleGhost,

Thanks for the help with this strange software.

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:14 AM
  • BattleGhost,

Thanks for the help with this strange software.

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:15 AM
  • Rio1946,

Sounds like you have exactly the same symptoms as I do.  If I find an answer I willl post it on this thread.

Fish23

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:45 AM
  • A sample of the errors in the Vista SP1 installer logs for Firewall issues is as follows:

2008-03-19 13:02:26, Error                 CSI    000000ae (F) Logged @2008/3/19:20:02:26.586 : [ml:258{129},l:256{128}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::MatchRules() did not matched rules @FirewallAPI.dll,-32777 and @FirewallAPI.dll,-32769 because of name."
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-03-19 13:02:26, Error                 CSI    000000af (F) Logged @2008/3/19:20:02:26.586 : [ml:258{129},l:256{128}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::MatchRules() did not matched rules @FirewallAPI.dll,-32773 and @FirewallAPI.dll,-32769 because of name."
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-03-19 13:02:26, Error                 CSI    000000b0 (F) Logged @2008/3/19:20:02:26.586 : [ml:202{101},l:200{100}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::MatchRules() matched rules based on rule ID: NETDIS-NB_Name-In-UDP-NoScope."
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-03-19 13:02:26, Error                 CSI    000000b1 (F) Logged @2008/3/19:20:02:26.586 : [ml:238{119},l:236{118}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::RemoveFirewallRule deleting rule (NETDIS-NB_Name-In-UDP-NoScope | @FirewallAPI.dll,-32769, 1)"
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-03-19 13:02:26, Error                 CSI    000000b2 (F) Logged @2008/3/19:20:02:26.586 : [ml:152{76},l:150{75}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::RemoveFirewallRule deleted 1 rules with 1 profiles"
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2008-03-19 13:02:26, Error                 CSI    000000b3 (F) Logged @2008/3/19:20:02:26.586 : [ml:234{117},l:232{116}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::RemoveFirewallRule (NETDIS-NB_Name-In-UDP-NoScope / @FirewallAPI.dll,-32769, 1) from POLICY"

Perhaps a cause for SP1 installation failure and perhaps not. Since Microsoft hasn't bothered to DOCUMENT any of this, or write their installer to spit out meaningful error info, who knows?!!?

This is happening on a generic test system built from a socket775 Intel-brand motherboard running Vista Ultimate from our Technet subscription--no anti-virus, etc even installed. There is nothing special about the system, nor about the way that networking is configured to justify the SP1 installation failures. Every other Windows update has installed without incident and the system has never reported an error when doing so. The system volume has also been checked thoroughly for any sign of error and there are NONE.

Before the stupid Vista SP1 installer decides to abort itself, I want the option to proceed anyway and I want a summary list of the errors and/or conditions that led up to the problem. Blind guesswork and manually digging through verbose installer log files with over 100K lines MANUALLY to look for problems is not acceptable---$#%!$#!% microsoft developers!  Talk about a complexity curse. No wonder it took five years for a desktop Windows major update with all the compelling new features torn back out!  Starting fresh with a new (and stable) OS design that ran all older apps under a built-in WinXP VM would have been infinitely better.

At least the Office developers did their jobs properly with Office 2007 to create compelling business value!

So much for a Vista push to our customers this year,  when it still bombs so easily in a carefully controlled testing environment like this!   At this point, we won't even trust the preinstalled images from the larger OEMs since SP1 is a bomb for many of them too.

Mark-ilv wrote:

On identically configured Vista Enterprise x64 systems, Vista SP1 installed without incident.

Amusingly, the update took on systems with active anti-virus, but not on the same type of systems without active antivurus software, but running Vista Ultimate instead.

----------

To Microsoft's lacking developers:

What we want to know is why your stupid Vista service pack update waits until after it's work is all but complete to give up and roll back. Why on earth are the impediments to finishing the installation of SP1 not detectable BEFORE it starts the lengthy process. Stupid (a million times stupid) developers to take this approach. It's also great not to get any specific error messages or even the slightest hint about WHY the SP1 update decides to quit in the end.

If the update consisted only of replacing operating system files, as it should, the process would take less than 15 minutes. Since the process takes more like 90-150minutes on even the newest systems (2GB RAM and 10k RPM HDD's), this leads back to the heaving disaster that is the Windows registry. This 1970's hierarchical database, a catch-all mess with the worst indexing on earth, has got to go.

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:51 AM
  • Mark,

That was an impressive effort to locate and document parameters associated with the SP 1 failure to install. Well done. I also fully endorse your comments on the programmers who would have the failure signalled so close to the end of the process and without any reference to a cause.

As a systems engineer (but not in the IT world) I find the present situation to be nothing short of bewildering given that MICROSOFT obviously had been planning SP 1 for some time. I am tempted to wait until MICROSOFT does something about it as VISTA Home Premium without SP 1 is running well in my laptop.

Fish 23

Friday, March 21, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Fish,

Thanks.

We actually like Vista+SP1 when it's installed that way from the beginning directly from the DVD boot images that Microsoft has provided on Technet. On systems with 2GB-4GB of RAM and good graphics cards, installation is far better than WinXP and performance is reasonable. Vista uses RAM in excess of 1GB far better than XP and XP64.

Most of the problems that Vista has caused could have been eliminated if this build with SP1 incorporated had been the first one offered pre-installed on new systems. It would also have been better if the RAM requirements to run Vista well had also been honestly disclosed.

What you might want to try is a full partition image backup of your laptop using a tool like Acronis True Image together with a USB HDD. Then you could roll back to a known working state if an attempt to install SP1 damages your working Vista environment. Acronis True Image provides a way to burn a bootable recovery CD that will restore partition images very quickly from external drives.

SP1 can help Vista systems run much better if you don't need robocopy for file archives and backups, and if you have 2GB of RAM or more. A clean install of Vista+SP1 x32 on an older Toshiba Tecra M4 test system with 2GB of RAM (Pent-M 2.2Ghz, PCIe+SATA, but no ExpressCard) allows it to run noticably better than the first Vista release. It also took care of all the drivers this time.

On some test systems, SP1 upgrade installation worked on original Vista release images without incident. Even on the test system where it aborted at the end four or five different times and rolled back, Vista remained completely intact. We are only insisting that all of the SP1 viability tests must be performed at the beginning of the process so that in the absense of system defects, completion is assured.

--ilv
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:48 AM
  • Found this link to help (free help no less!) from Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

I went with the chat option from my laptop while he worked via Remote Assist on my desktop.

He checked a bunch of stuff (took less than 20min), including the Module thing (which was set to manual) and I am on attempt #7 now...hope it works, but it's nice to have someone to ask questions of directly from Microsoft!

Good luck!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:12 PM
  • I am running home premium 32 bit and after the initial attempt failed, I spent 4 hrs on the phone with tech support and tried 3 more times after various fixes suggested by the tech agent, all to no avail, I am scheduled to get a phone call monday for further instructions.

I have a feeling that I was a test case during the phone call to the tech guy.

Gene

Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:52 PM
  • TIP:  If you have Comodo Firewall installed uninstall it from you computer completely before starting the Service Pack update.  Also close your AV and another other programs in your task bar.  Comodo was my issue and I got SP1 to install for me...Just a thought.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 6:04 PM
  •  gkimmel wrote:

I am running home premium 32 bit and after the initial attempt failed, I spent 4 hrs on the phone with tech support and tried 3 more times after various fixes suggested by the tech agent, all to no avail, I am scheduled to get a phone call monday for further instructions.

I have a feeling that I was a test case during the phone call to the tech guy.

Gene

4 hours with the tech dept..  ouch..   They are very nice people but we don't really feel like spending so much time with them..  

I've had to deal with them many times and they never fixed anything but sometimes they can teach you a thing or 2 .  I do not use the tech support anymore, it take way too much time for never being able to fix anything.  I will stick with the RC of SP1  and see if one of these days there will be an answer to this problem..

My guess is that when someone do a major clean up and delete the TEMP files , he loose the files that are used to be able to remove SP1 RC ...... Temp files are supposed to be just that  TEMPORARY files, why does Vista/microsoft would put some VERY important files in this TEMP folder is beyond comprehension . Anyway, having the RC version or the final version doesn't seem to change anything so far..
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 6:06 PM
  •  Skeetarian wrote:

Found this link to help (free help no less!) from Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

I went with the chat option from my laptop while he worked via Remote Assist on my desktop.

He checked a bunch of stuff (took less than 20min), including the Module thing (which was set to manual) and I am on attempt #7 now...hope it works, but it's nice to have someone to ask questions of directly from Microsoft!

Good luck!

Well, about to get back in touch with them...didn't work again.  ARGH!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:32 PM
  • Ok. Just got off the phone with Tech Support. I am sure all of you will love this... Wink

So, if you get the "Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes." error, they say you have to uninstall your antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall software to get around this issue. No disabling...uninstalling. Not even going to go down that road myself.

They also said that the web release this week (March 18) is essentially a 'Beta' release of the final SP1 so they can get it installed, or not installed like many of us, and have MS Research work out all the kinks before releasing the 'fixed' SP1 update on April 18th.

Here is a list of everything that I did that didn't work.

Via Windows Update:

1) Installed the service pack like normal. Failed.

Called tech support and they did the whole easy-assist thing and couldn't figure out what was wrong, so they suggested installing via safe-mode...which I was very hesitant to do.

Standalone installer for SP1:
    1) Installed via safe mode. Failed.
    2) Installed via safe mode with no other services except MS ones running. Failed
    3) Installed via safe mode after running sfc /scannow. Failed.
    4) Installed after running disk check and fixing errors. Failed.
    5) Installed after running memory checker. Failed.
    6) Installed via safe mode with no other services except MS ones running, and all hardware except keyboard plugged in. Failed.

7) Installed via safe mode with no other services except MS ones running, so startup apps and all hardware except keyboard plugged in. Failed.

So I am just going to wait until the next iteration of SP1 to install it. What a pain in the a**.

BTW...if you attempt to install SP1 and it fails, it wipes out all of your restore points. So be aware of this. That's why some people reported gaining disk space after install or failed install.

Good luck to all!!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Jorusfett, that sounds like a rerun of the 4 hours I spent with tech support on Thursday, I am supposed to get a call on Monday from an "Engineer"  I guess that is supposed to be a step up from tech guy, I think I will opt out of the "lets use this guy as a guinea pig" and as you said wait until they fix it.

I can't believe they told you it was a Beta release, haven't they already done that?

Saturday, March 22, 2008 11:24 PM
  •  gkimmel wrote:

I can't believe they told you it was a Beta release, haven't they already done that?

After they told me that MS Research needs to gather all the problems and fix them, I asked the tech support guy point blank if this is really a 'Beta' or work in progress for the April 18th release (since he had mentioned the April 18th release). He said yes. I work in software testing and know when something isn't ready for the masses. If hundreds if not thousands of people are running into the same problem, and there is no solution after almost a week, then MS has bigger problems on its hands. My guess is the focus on automated testing vs. manual testing....which is what all of us in the 'real world' do when we install all of these updates, etc.

I found the excuse of uninstallation of products to be the worst bit of advice I have ever had in regards to installing a service pack.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:37 AM
  • I spent 4 days trying to install SP1 without any luck. In normal bootup my install would hang at stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete. In safe mode the install would complete, then revert back to a restore point prior to installing SP1. I finally got it to install by first uninstalling Norton AV 2007. Just disabling Norton did not allow the install of SP1, only a complete uninstall of Norton would let SP1 install. After SP1 was installed I was able to reinstall Norton without a problem.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:08 AM
  •  

I got mine to install, apparently it fails if your hard drive isnt first in boot priority, even though windows works fine that way, (I dual boot windows and linux, and to keep the windows drive clean of bootloader problems I made the linux partition first in boot priority so I can use grub to dual boot) switched it around, install went flawless, switched it back, everything still works.
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Microsoft has wasted my time for the last time. I was just sitting there for 2 hours looking at my office pc downloading update, installing update and then reverting everything back as it was giving me no reason why ? Who thought it was a good idea to give no feedback as to why it failed ??? What was the point of the update anyway , waste more time ??? As if we have our pcs sitting there just waiting for an update to render it useless while we want to work ?

I backed up everything and installed Suse 10. At least when they do not work, they tell me why. And got rid of all those pesky processes that consume tons of resources for no apparent reason. If you can afford to do so and have the knowledge, switch.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:03 AM
  •  

I have spent 6 h on this nonsense now, trying all sorts of 'fixes' and I still cannot get SP1 to install. I tried sfc/scannow which said some files were corrupt and it was unable to repair some of the files. The sfcdetails.txt files does not list any of these files.

I've tried reinstalling with all the AV and anti-spyware turned off. Still no luck. If the bloody installer atleast gave a proper error message we could figure out what is causing the problem. But no, instead, it just says "service pack was not installed, reverting changes"..that too at the end of 1.5 h!!!

I am going to try one last time with the standalone SP1 pack, and if it does not work again. I am going to dump this POS OS and buy a bloody mac. (I hate macs, but I think they wont make me waste so much of my time..atleast I'll get my work done!!).

Microsoft needs to be billed for wasting hours of the users' time at the rate of $200/h, or sued into oblivion. Morons!

Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:22 AM
  •  H.Seldon wrote:

I've tried reinstalling with all the AV and anti-spyware turned off. Still no luck.

Turning it off doesn't work for some people because the drivers and DLL files still get loaded. You actually have to uninstall it and reinstall it after SP1 is in.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:35 PM
  •  

Am now online with someone from MS Research.-  I will type a running list of what he looks at:

First he went to the web and installed some program named SubInAcl http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

They were trying to create a manual restore point and got a transient error, so are now resetting something from a cmd window...looks like the system register by the names flashing across the screen.  12 failures, last one in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT_CLSID\{FEE45D ...bah, he closed window.  Not sure if anything was done or not here...

I noticed yesterday that somewhere along the way my System Information no longer has ANY data in it with some error about WMI files being moved or missing...hopefully this will also fix that issue.

When I was on the phone with the rep before they took over control via EA, he said he suspected that something had control of the register and was not allowing SP1 to write to it, so after all the prep of the three stages, when SP1 finds out it can not write to the register, it has to revert.

Next, he reviewed my installed programs list...Don't think he did anything there, but I looked away for a couple minutes.

Next, went to Event Viewer...Windows Logs > Application >   filtered by last 12 hours, critical and error...found 4.  Looked at Source WMI that failed to initialize WMI Core or Provider SubSystem or Event Subsystem...

Then, SecurityCenter that said The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish...due to spyware, anti-virus or firewall

Then, searched for System logs found 6 errors, 4 from ACPI one of which said : ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot contact your system vendor for technical assistance

Next went to Problem Reports and Solutions > Problems Windowshas identified >  found 470 for the Windows Modules Installer listing mostly the Problem as WindowsWcpOtherFailure3 

Judging by the date/times most of these will be from the multiple attempts already made to install SP1

Added Permissions for standalone SP1 for Everyone and made sure that the System settings were all set to Allow.

Added Everyone to Owner tab and Effective Permissions tab

Reboot to Safe Mode With Networking and reconnect him via EA

Started standalone install using Run as Administrator option

Will report back again later on if this worked this time.

EDIT: Failed again...argh

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:44 PM
  • You know, when you read these posts you wonder how sometimes Microsoft ever gets anything to work at all.

It is stupid for them to say, delete your antivirus, delete spam checkers etc and even when you are using only their products such as Their Firewall and Defender, it still will not install. There was a program on TV the other day and they had a brand new computer with no Anti Virus or Spam and they turned it on and connected to the internet and it was compromised within two hours by spammers and it had pop ups going on that told you to buy this and that, but MS wants you to do that.

I often shut down my High Speed Modem when installing programs of a questionable nature.

Anyways back to SP1, I bet it will turn out to be a problem with their firewall.

Again this would not happen at all if they restricted all access to System32 directory and the registry. With the advent of larger drives, space is not as critcal and a program should have to install all their files within their own directory. API calls allowed only to the key components. This would also force companies to write better programs BUT of course software companies would cry foul but in all honesty, if a company can't write software that is reliable and can't use calls then let them write their own subroutines.

OKAY, off my soapbox

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:58 AM
  • I was having the same problem as everyone, (I'm running Vista ultimatex86 btw), At first It had problems install updates, they kept failing and what not, and then after countless "Upgrade Installations while using updated files" when you run the DVD when you're logged in, and removing my Creative Audigy sound card because it was said by Microsoft that it had problems with the drivers and that Windows Update wouldn't give me the 70mg Install of the Service pack. I finally got all the updates installed but the Service Pack didn't show up on the update list so I downloaded the full install and it kept giving me the 0x8007000D error and I read on a thread that it suggests file corruption. So I re-downloaded the file and It actually got through 2 reboots but yet failed again giving me the reverting back prompt. Then when I got back into windows I checked the Windows Update screen and there it was, the Service Pack upgrade, I had Windows Update and download it and it installed without fail. Its taken me 3 days but I've got it installed and its running amazing. Even though I'm down a Creative Audigy sound card until new drivers/hotfix come out to fix the issue which is fine, my onboard sound is fine for now. I think I have done everything that has been suggested and I can't for sure say exactly what I did to get it installed, I just tried everything -_- I hope this helps anyone, maybe you can try some of the things I have tried.

I'm running a Dual P4 3.0 Ghz with 1.5 gigs of ddr400 ram and a Nvidia 7600gs (512 AGP)
    Monday, March 24, 2008 2:45 AM
  • I just received a call from Microsoft research department, she wanted to take control of my computer and see what the problem was, I told her that I would not let her do that, I asked her if they knew what the problems were and she said that yes they did know and that by sometime next month they would have it fixed, so I told her I was unwilling to spend anymore time on this ( I have spent many hours already ) and when they had it fixed I would try again.

We decided to archieve my case number and if I had any trouble with the new release to call them ( fat chance of that ) so there you have it, evidently this latest iteration of sp1 is in fact another beta.

Monday, March 24, 2008 2:58 PM
  • I had the same problem but a different error code and I turned off my Mcafee Firewall and it worked. You don't have to uninsstall it just turn it off until you finish the installation. I am running Windows Vista Home Basic

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:42 AM
  • @jorusfett: you have tried the steps that I went through also, except I didn't call MS.

you're also correct bout the restore points !!

I have tried to install the SP1 on a vista home premium and a vista enterprise without luck (also after removing antivirus soft ...)

the home premium machine became unstable after the repair from the restore point (no shutdown ...) so decided to backup and wipe with a new integrated install from MSDN -> no problem since then, everything is running again ...

So I'll guess I'll wipe and load the enterprise machine with a new build also ...

fwiw, I tried to install the msdn SP1 version, the windows update and the kb full download ...

Beginning to agree that we as early adopters are guinea pigs ...

good luck to the rest of you !

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:29 AM
  • Jorusfett,

Your post here has to be one of the more useful and revealing ones among the hundreds of failed attempts (and numerous different errors) as well as successes contained in the SP1 Forum threads. With your excellent effort (and time investment) you have confirmed what I was beginning to suspect-that the release was made to garner feedback to troubleshoot the errors that seemed to be anticipated by MS, so that changes can be made for a likely 'updated update", perhaps next month.  From gut feel, the number of different errors leads me to think that there are many, many different "initial conditions"  (in security software, utility software and even hardware) among the many machines in which the posters are trying to install SP1, me among them.  I am following your lead and will refrain from installing SP 1 until its next iteration. Judging from some of the stories I've read, I suppose I should consider myself lucky that in the five times I was unsuccessful, my machine always successfully reverted to the pre-SP1 condition and all that I lost was some time (while 'enjoying the aggravation').

Thanks again for your efforts and providing the interim solution that I need.......

Fish23

Acer Aspire 5570 Laptop, Intel Duo Core T2250, VISTA Home Premium 

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Have we tried turning off our Firewall? It worked for me.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:18 AM
  • Mackey,

Firewall settings are only one of many factors that can trip up SP1. Good that SP1 installed for you.

On several of our test systems, SP1 installed just fine with firewall software enabled. It even installed correctly under VMware on virtual machines. That's why we try several test cases that fit our customer base rather than assuming that all will be well after trying something on a single system.

It's just another of those 'depends' factors that Microsoft needed to document better and design SP1 to work with better. If that were the one factor that held back SP1, then SP1 should plainly report that fact. Aborting over firewall settings would still be exceptionally stupid for the developers. A warning that they would have to overwrite existing custom settings and an operator decision on whether to proceed would have made sense.

If Microsoft unleashes the true final revision of SP1 before April 15th with similar results for even more customers, the Windows division will need boxes of Depends for themselves...

Microsoft has the opportunity to try their software builds on thosands of test cases, so they have absolutely no excuse for unleashing something labeled as FINAL when it clearly is not for those of us who have wasted time on this lipsticked pig so far. That is simply another Microsoft FRAUD--and yes it's probably time for yet another Vista-related liability class action suit.

--ilv
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:57 AM
  • Let me reword my statement. I'm not blaming the problem on the firewall What caused my problem was that I had 2 firewalls running at the same time which can cause internet based programs not to function properly In my case the update failed to install, So I turned off one of my Firewalls and I had no more problems. Installation successful and I am aware that not everyone is having the same issues.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:41 AM
  • Mr Mackey,

Thanks for your suggestion. Just to answer your question, and further to Mark-ilv's post in response to yours, yes, one of my 5 unsuccessful attempts did come with my Norton Firewall turned off and WINDOWS Modules Installer running after I saw both those suggestions in other posts to this Forum. Only the first two attempts were done under the same conditions as I thought merely repeating the first attempt would succeed. I had no idea it was such a 'roll of the dice' a the time until I found this Forum and realized  the true extent and nature of the situation. I still think sitting back and waiting for a 'Final Final' version at this point is the best strategy. I hope it comes with a clear and comprehensive set of recommended initial conditions. I am doing this because every WINDOWS update has downloaded and installed successfully in the 11 months that I have had this laptop so I do not believe I have a machine fault (HW or SW) . I believe I have a combination of software "states" that is preventing success.

Fish23

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:33 PM
  •  

I'm not one to believe Microsoft tech support, but just to quote what one of them told me :

[paraphrased] the current release of service pack 1 is indeed the final version and there will not be another release on april 18th, whatever you heard was false.[/p]

hrm, right...this was right after he told me that my vista install failed because I either had bad ram or bad sectors on my harddrive...I love microsoft tech support, always blaming the hardware and never the software.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:11 PM
  • They will never admit any fault in any of the problems we have had. Thanks Bill for the almighty notebook and the peoble who read it.

Friday, March 28, 2008 12:05 AM
  • I don't disbelieve what you were told, Battleghost, but I believe if you talked to five different people at Tech Support you would probably get five different answers. Jorusfett talked to them at length and he didn't get that same answer.  If you consider the range and depth of the problems reported on this forum for the WINDOWS SP1 Update,  it is difficult  to believe that there isn't something that MICROSOFT has to fix.  It can't be 'all hardware, all the time'........

Friday, March 28, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Hi!

I have the same problem with Vista Business 32bit.
    I would like to know if somebody has formated, reinstalled and retried to install SP1 without any drivers or software installed?
    Same problem on a fresh install?

I have many software installed and few tweaks applied and I don't want to waste my time with formating and reinstalling to obtain the same result.

Sorry for my english!
    Friday, March 28, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Don't waste time reinstalling unless you have a copy of Vista boot media that has already been updated to SP1. You can download the ISO images of that media if you have a Microsoft Technet subscription.

It's the only way to be absolutely certain that you will get SP1 onto your system.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 11:23 PM
  • Thank you for this post, about being a Beta. I was debating about installing SP1 or not. I like to keep up with updates. But! I have this computer, new about a year now, and up to a few months ago, had lots of problems with things running right. I am tired of spending hours and days fixing problems. I will wait a while yet to install SP1.

My computer, new a year ago. HP with Vista pre installed.

I even returned a software program, for refund, that they said was Vista ready, but was not. This was months ago, and as far as I can tell, they still have problems with that software and Vista.

Thank you

Friday, March 28, 2008 11:53 PM
  • Yeah, I get the same error. So far I have uninstalled my antivirus, total bull$hit, I had to fix my error logs, more bull$hit.... I had to manually start the installer, Why was it shut down??? Things happen to my Vista box that NEVER happened to my XP or osX box, EVER!!! I have never been so let down by M$ B4 in my life. It makes me glad that they never got a dime out of me personally. And as far as I am concerned, if and when Vista is stable, MAYBE, maybe I'll duel boot it on my machine at home, and if so, they still won't see a dime of my money... I'll borrow a friends disc... That's right M$, until you show me that it REALLY works, I'll never buy it, I'll use it... but I'll never buy it... Vista is the biggest waste of an OS that I have ever seen... and I have had every windows version since 3.1.... So for now, I will keep my XP box cause I need it for games, but I am going to recommend that no one buys Vista, or M$ products for that matter until they show me that they are actually worth it.... Could I write an OS, def not... but then again I don't try, rush it out the door, and let "loyal" users deal with the pains. M$..... *** off..... Ubuntu & osX here I come, to a better computing world... In my opinion, this is the beginning of the end for the monopoly known as M$.... and I hope it comes sooner than later.

-P@
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:11 PM
  • I have unistalled firewall (KIS) and others without luck. I have done everything I have found on internet but no luck.

I have contected Microsoft and with their instructions I got some changes: now installer stops at 1/3 100%.

Luckily I have True Image so it is quite easy to revert original state after these experiments, but I'm quite disappointed with Vista right now, first time.

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:42 AM
  • I updated my system. I did an analyzer from Microsoft that looked at all my software and drivers and it reported no problem.

Tried the update again and still no go. I think it is criminal that they wipe out all you system restore points.

Still since they say they have millions of updates being done correctly, they say it is my system...

I got out the DVD and attempted to reload Vista into the original folder and believe it or not, it failed on the last two minutes and rolled it all back which took 2 hours. This is my last try and I may revert to XP because I have a few issues with Vista and my scanner etc

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:22 AM
  •  

System Specs:

ASUS P5n32-E SLI

Vista Ultimate x64

8 Gigs of DDR2-6400 Ram

2x eVga 8800GTS 640mb Superclocked

All of the service pack 1 updates I had tried got me to Stage 3 of 3 100% and failed, reverting changes. Called tech support and they were useless, sorry, but the things they suggested me to do I could have done on my own, and truthfully I bet they were only following a script of listed things to try before saying "your hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced". So what I tried was to run the Vista setup cd WITHIN Vista. This opens up the "Upgrade" option which keeps all system settings and programs/files. Lord be hold it got to the finally stages (configuring vista for first time use) and it fails, giving me the following message:

"Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accesible, and restart the installation. Error code: 0XC0000005"

I tried with only one hard drive plugged in and copied the setup cd onto my harddrive and it still failed. Removed 3 of my 4 sticks of ram and it still failed. The hard drive is just as new as the operating system and I had already run chkdsk on it for bad sectors. In the end, I copied the contents of my entire drive onto a secondary drive (for back-up) and formated the drive to prepare it for a clean install. Now there is a few things to note when installing Vista, but the major issue is as follows. If you have multiple hard drives (I have 4 internals) REMOVE ALL but the main drive. When you are selecting what drive to install Vista on from the drive list there is bad code here that makes Vista chose the first drive on the list to store the Master Boot Record even if you chose the 3rd drive on the list. For example, if you have 4 drives, and you want to install Vista on the 3rd drive that's on the list, it will install on the third drive but put the Master Boot Record on drive 1. This caused me immense grief because the only way to boot the machine was to boot off of the cd and when the "hit any key to boot off of the cd..." screen came up, I didn't hit anything defaulting it back to the harddrive. Another problem that happened to me once was that when Vista goes into sleep mode, on certain systems it will kill the nic card causing it to always say "network cable unplugged" despite a cable being present, and no lights turn on on the jack. To resolve this issue you have to clear your CMOS.

Anyway, from a clean install stand point all updates installed perfectly and when I got to the Service Pack 1 update, it cleanly installed. Now since I hit about 3 issues on seperate installs of Vista in the same night, I successfully reformated, installed Vista, updated Vista, and Installed Service Pack 1 on the same machine perfectly THREE TIMES. Evidently the issue is not hardware and pure software.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:22 AM
  • I did the safe mode trick found here and it installed the last stage fine. I have also read that xpsp3 is meant to work wonders once installed according to beta testers.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:12 AM
  • No luck here. I tried that safe mode -trick too. Every time PC restarted, I directed it safe mode. But no, at the end: service pack did not install. Reverting changes.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:07 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by the "safe mode trick", but prior to my reformats I had already tried an install in safe mode. Ontop of that I also tried installing it after selecting selective startup in msconfig (basically I only booted the basic windows services and nothing else which in a sense is similar to safe mode but not quite). Needless to say neither worked. I wouldn't be surprised if it's one registry entry that one of the Windows Updates changed from 0 to 1 causing us all hours of grief.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Hmmm, I will try disabling the windows firewall and try the trusted installer trick later on today. Don't expect it to work though. I have Home Premium x64 installed and tried to install the stand alone sp1 right after a clean install of vista. Didn't work (couldn't install (try again on restart), and reverted). So i went on installing other drivers from the dell site for my xps 1330. Deliberately left out installation of panda antivirus and internet protection because I had read virus software could be a problem when installing the service pack. After all the other standard updates, sp1 finally showed up in the windows update application and I tried again. It didn't work. Same problem. Don't want to be without virus protection much longer though. Even windows keeps reminding me of this .

Since my system seems to be working fine, I will just turn off updates. This way I won't have see that anoying little icon all the time that is telling me there is an update available that I won't be able to install anyway. Don't REALLY need sp1 anyway since everything seems to be working ok as it is (fingers crossed). Will try manually in a few months to see whether there are further upgrades and then maybe try again.

Incredible though how microsoft keeps getting it wrong with every single version of windows. Also incredible that after a few months and hundreds of posts this problem still has not been resolved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dell XPS M1330 (LED screen) - 2,2 GHZ duo core - Intel GMA965 - 4 GB OCZ DDR 800 - 64 GB SSD (OCZ Core series)

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:16 PM
  • I dont understand what u mean by  "make sure it was set up in system configuration"....how do u do this?

I know how to put it on automatic just dont know how to do that, i tried putting it on automatic thinking it would work like that and it didnt....another hour wasted :/

I am refering to "Spudman" post :

<<HA, here's to answering my own quesiton. I realized that I had Windows Modules Installer (trustedinstaller.exe) set to manual in services and stopped. Turn it on, set to automatic and made sure it was set to start up in system configuration and holy ***...it worked.

Somebody give MS a medal for this one. You would think that this should one of the many things it checks BEFORE it starts...and I don't know...maybe TELL me its a problem instead of flipping me off and undoing an hour's worth of work...>>

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:22 PM
  • A BIG, BIG thankyou to Spudman - saved my computer from being thrown out the window!

This technique worked a treat after trying 5 other ways to get around it, although I did have to disable all third party security as well if that helps anyone else?

So much for the new, easy OS! Doh!!

Friday, November 7, 2008 5:53 PM
  • BLUF <bottom line up front>: Despite Microsoft thoughtfully provided three page PreLim encyptics steps, would still be wise to further invest in providing, upon this level of time consuming, repetative failure, a "no matter how befuddling looking as it may seem" error message that can subsequently be online searched for, addressed, and eventually resolved to fellow customers satisfaction! No?

For the short attention span folk that I am, here is how I found spudman's  suggested setting location:

Start > Control Panel > at top left click on Control Panel Home > click on System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Services > Windows Modules Installer

So moving on, here's where I quote one of my fellow workers, a lovable Viet Nam vet, "Whiskey Tango Fox, over!" As you click on this service it displays:

Windows Modules Installer, Description: "Enables installation, modification, and removal of Windows updates and optional components. If this service is disabled, install or uninstall of Windows updates might fail for this computer." Does this sound familiar?

As per spudman's appreciated suggestion, on the top left of this window I clicked on _Start_ the service, then on the right side of the window I right_clicked on Windows Modules Installer > selected Properties > changed Startup type from Manual to Automatic > clicked on Apply button > Clicked on OK button.

Even though this is an HP DV6405us laptop with AMD 64x2, 2GB RAM, McAfee disabled, set config for Performance, dual boot linux, etc, I'll now spend an additional hour or two, for the seventh time over the last couple months, attempting this MS V SP1 update - I'll reply either way to this entry if it fails again or surprises the *** out of me! In the mean time, back to my other Ubuntu desktops and laptops...

Spudman wrote:
    HA, here's to answering my own question. I realized that I had Windows Modules Installer (trustedinstaller.exe) set to manual in services and stopped. Turn it on, set to automatic and made sure it was set to start up in system configuration and holy ***...it worked.

/sigh
    Friday, November 14, 2008 8:14 PM
  • I still could not solve the problem... I have the same problem, and I check the "Windows Modules Installer" service which really set to "manual". I set it to "automatic" but I found it will return "manual" after soon itself. I don't know why? So I still could not complete service pack update. Who can help me?
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:38 AM
  • I found my problem is about the boot manager. If your type "bcdedit" in command prompt and it says "the boot configuration data store could not be opened. the system can not  find the file specified.", you should use the vista install CD repair the startup. If it says not dectects any problem about startup, you should delete c:\boot directory then repair again.
    I install vista sp2 with this problem, and it takes me one day and half to fix it. Haha~~
    Friday, May 29, 2009 12:34 PM
  • hey guys check this out after several attempt it works on me thanks to idea of spudman and fish23. First I try to perform a clean boot first 

follow these steps
          a.     
    Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights. 
          b.     Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility. If you are prompted for an 
                     administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
          c.     On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then unclick Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is
                     unavailable.)    
          d.     On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
    Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

Click OK, and then click Restart

after the restart I follow spudman's advice I set my module to automatic then click start then ok......  NOW IT WORKS SP2 FINALLY INSTALLED

guys I hope this may help solve your problem.    

note: if this still doesnt work I also try bcdedit
    Monday, July 27, 2009 11:52 AM
  • Double Holy ***, it worked for me too. I had tried to install SP1 about 4 times with each NON-install taking about 3 hours. I did considerable searches of the internet looking for this PERFECt discussion and solution.

Oddly enough, the previous installs were all done under the SAFE BOOT mode and it would go through the three stages  in about three hours only to find as many on this discussion had - that you get the message the the update did not install without any explanation. then it would take another hour to remove what it didn't install. !??!!!!???*&^%$#!!!!

This time in safe boot mode I tried the change of the Windows Modules Installer Properties from Manual to Automatic and it told me it couldn't be done in Safe Boot Mode - and it told me this immediately!!! I didn't have to wait until the end. 

I restarted in a normal fashion and made the change in the Windows Modules Installer Properties to Automatic and bingo it worked the first time and it worked extremely fast - The update was installed in about 15 minutes!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now to try SP2!!!
    Friday, January 8, 2010 12:44 AM
  • guys, the problem still exists!

i installed a new installation of vista basic 32 bit (from the original cd) to a newly formatted hard disk on my laptop (fujitsu siemens). afterwards, without installing any other software at all, i tried to install sp1 but as usual failed at stage 3 100% and reverting changes. this happened about 4 hours later...! (&#!!!!?!!^*&#%*#).

help

Friday, July 16, 2010 6:20 PM
  • guys, the problem still exists!

i installed a new installation of vista basic 32 bit (from the original cd) to a newly formatted hard disk on my laptop (fujitsu siemens). afterwards, without installing any other software at all, i tried to install sp1 but as usual failed at stage 3 100% and reverting changes. this happened about 4 hours later...! (&#!!!!?!!^*&#%*#).

help

OK, there are some prerequisites to the installation of service pack. Mine was to update the BIOS! After a huge search i've found that some certail laptons need to update the BIOS. I did it and thx god i've got installed everything without any problem. (my laptop is fujitzu siemens).

rgrds

isidoros

Monday, October 18, 2010 2:19 PM