none
How to Fix Generic Host Process for Win32 Service Error....?

Question

• Hi...

Need help to fix Generic Host Process for Win32 Service Error, We are getting this error on entire 32 bit workstations. First time It’s happened six months before, that time we have solved this issue by updating Microsoft patches and SP3… But from last week onwards we are getting the same error… try to fix with some patches bucouldn't solve yet...

please help me to solve this...

If nyone need more info, let me know...

Thanks & regards,
    SG
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi... Thanks for your reply....

I downloaded the dll files from www.dlldump.com, and followed the above steps... but couldn't solve that error with this steps..
    after that i just use the below commands..

1) Start - Run - type 'netsh'
    2) in command promt type 'winsock' press enter
    3) then type 'reset' and press enter...
    Restart PC..

Thanksssss....

• Marked as answer by Sajin George Monday, January 18, 2010 3:59 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:59 PM

All replies

• do you have errors in event logs? Please post those.

This may fix your issue, if you haven't tried it already (reference: http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/310506-generic-host-process-error-winxp-sp3.html ):

These 3 files (wscsvc.dll, wzcdlg.dll and wzcsvc.dll) were replaced when you upgraded to SP3. You must put back the SP2-versions of the files. The build of the SP2-files are the same for all of the 3 files: 5.1.2600.2180
    The date (on my computer ) is August 4, 2004.

Do like this:
    1) Create a new folder that is easy to access (C:\Temp).
    2) Search your hard drive for these 3 old files, and copy them to C:\Temp.
    3) If you didn't find all the 3 files on your PC, copy them from an other PC with SP2, or you can download them from http://www.dlldump.com/ . When you download, the date will change on the downloaded files, but that's OK. Save the files into C:\Temp. In my case, I had to download wzcsvc.dll .
    4) Restart your PC, and press F8 to enter the startup menu.
    5) Select one of the Safe Mode options (without network) for starting Windows. I used Safe Mode with Commnd Prompt.
    6) Open the folder C:\Windows\System32, and rename the 3 files (e.g. wscsvc.dll_sp3, ...). Or if you dare, you could delete them...
    7) Copy the 3 old files from C:\Temp into C:\Windows\System32.
    8) Reboot your PC.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Hi... Thanks for your reply....

I downloaded the dll files from www.dlldump.com, and followed the above steps... but couldn't solve that error with this steps..
    after that i just use the below commands..

1) Start - Run - type 'netsh'
    2) in command promt type 'winsock' press enter
    3) then type 'reset' and press enter...
    Restart PC..

Thanksssss....

• Marked as answer by Sajin George Monday, January 18, 2010 3:59 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Glad to hear resetting the winsocks fixed the issue. Thanks for posting the fix.

Have a good one.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Why would i copy the old files if they dont work? I have a couple of questions about Steps 6 and 7.

Start in Safe mode and then open C:\windows\system32 and rename the dlls you mention above, but why would i copy the old files after i renamed them in system 32?
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:52 PM
  • winsock didnt fix for me, right now, i am logged on as admin, but all of my favs and internet preferences, desktops and other things are easily accessible from another user account. the above fixes did not work on those, I havent tried the renaming of the dlls yet. Waiting for your instruction.

Many thanks

kai
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Why would i copy the old files if they dont work? I have a couple of questions about Steps 6 and 7.

Start in Safe mode and then open C:\windows\system32 and rename the dlls you mention above, but why would i copy the old files after i renamed them in system 32?

As a backup in case your system crashes and wont boot. Then you can access your PC via recovery console, and put them back into the original place.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:48 AM