Windows 10 v1703 Unattended Domain Join Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello TechNet!

Recently my department has been working on upgrading our deployment image from Windows Anniversary Edition to the recently updated Creators Edition.

We built an image in a VM, sysprepped it, captured it, and added it to our 2012 WDS Deployment Server, but when imaging computers the unattended domain join fails every time with error code 0x54a.

For your reference this is an unsecure domain join with prestaged computers, though I have attempted it with credentials as well.

I cannot find any useful documentation for this error code, and so I turn to the gurus of this forum.

Steps taken:

- Used old working Unattend.xml from Anniversary Edition

- Built new unattend with FQDN in join domain field.

- Imaged computers with unmodified WIM from install disk.

I've even constructed a new imaging server with Windows Server 2016, but the deployment still fails to join our domain. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! 

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:29 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the links but we actually discovered the issue.

To join the domain using a prestaged object it was necessary to set the following:

<ComputerName>%MACHINENAME%</ComputerName>

In the specialize pass.... a setting that wasn't necessary in anniversary..... or for a few years for that matter.

Hopefully that helps anyone stuck on a similar problem!

Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I search online for a long time, can’t find out something related to the error message you mentioned.

Please refer to this step by step guide to deploy your 1703 machine to check result, some users here shared the method about unattend domain join.

Unattended install Windows 10 using Windows Deployement Service on Win Server 2012 R2

https://geekdudes.wordpress.com/2015/10/30/unattended-install-windows-10-using-windows-deployement-service-on-win-server-2012-r2/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

In fact, for WDS issue, you’d better ask for help from WDS forum

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?forum=winserversetup

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:38 AM
  • Thanks for the links but we actually discovered the issue.

To join the domain using a prestaged object it was necessary to set the following:

<ComputerName>%MACHINENAME%</ComputerName>

In the specialize pass.... a setting that wasn't necessary in anniversary..... or for a few years for that matter.

Hopefully that helps anyone stuck on a similar problem!

Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:45 AM