none
Vista -Slow Shutdown

Question

• When I tell Vista Ultimate to shut down it take ann extremely long time,  upwards of 3 to 5 minutes.  The same happen when I attempt to log off or restart.

There are no device driver flags and no event messages to indicate a problem.

The mother boad is an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, Video is an MSI NVIDIA 6800GS and the Sound Card is an Creative Labs Audigy 4, all have the latested drives.  Single HD Drive - No RAID,  NOT on a domain.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thanks,   

Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:46 PM

All replies

• maybe one of ur drivers/programs is not shutting dow

or maybe ur system is configured to delete the pagefile on shutdown or even do some task like clear up cache on shutdown...

To REALLY reduce your shutdown time. Start Regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control. Click on the "Control" Folder. Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" Right click on it and select Modify. the default value is ( i think) 12000. Setting it to a lower 4 digit value,( say 6000) will make your PC shutdown faster, but you could end up losing data, so use this tweak judiciously.

perhaps How To Make Vista Start, Run and Shutdown Faster will help u.

Sunday, July 08, 2007 7:44 AM
  • Yes, a program or driver or service is refusing to shut down. Thats a huge vista problem. Why vista doesn't have better control I don't know. I forced the issue though by making vista KILL all programs, demons, etc much quicker. Normally vista is set to take 20 seconds each or 20000 milliseconds.  But for some reason, his default setting in the registry seems to allow pesky programs to stay alive far longer than that as if having too long a setting is the same as disabling the Kill command. My out of the box Vista compter would remain on for hours if I let it promting me to routinely force shutdown. I am now using a risky approach by modifying that registry entry to kill in half the designated 20000ms which results in a 10 second shutdown. Rebooting seems faster too as if I've cleaned up a bad program. Its risky because some programs may not be able to write data back in time but in my view, screw that program. Just make sure you've saved any docs you've got open. Who cares about the rest.

Backup your registry.
    run Regedit
    goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
    on the right find "WaittoKillServiceTimeout" key.
    Change the long 20000 ms setting to a smaller number. Best to start with 15000 first.

Hope that helps.

PCmag wrote that Microsoft is trying to get users to use the hybrid sleep mode instead of shutting down. I have used it by setting my laptop power options to sleep when I close the lid. restarting is indeed very fast and th computer lasted in that state unplugged for two days. But still, when I want to shut down, shut down now dang it!!!!

My opinion is that Vista sucks anyway. This isn't the only problem I've had with it by a long shot. Sure there has been some potentially cool advances and tools for master users. But Microsoft doesn't seem to get that the important thing is the user experience, not their vision of how you should interact with your own comptuter. So I'm moving to linux. I've built a kubuntu (8 beta with kde) desktop server machine and I really like it. I have full control and can change what I want. There are plenty of productivity programs in the open source world so I don't miss  hardly a thing. I am probably soon going to partition this Vista laptop and setup ubuntu linux on it as my default OS and use Vista only for those  rare things where I dont' have a choice program wise. I figure that if someone has to learn enough to make registry edits on Vista to make it work, why not just go for full control????? Microsft said Vista was a work in progress. My ***. Why not then go to an OS where the progress has been much greater.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 6:00 PM
  • there are many reason for windows vista slow shutdown.
    1) virus
    2) some processes take time to terminate
    3) some operating system's configuration issue

here is the best way to troubleshooting vista slow problem. It has explained all possible reason for vista slow working and shutdown.

here is url of site : http://vista-tip.blogspot.com/

• Proposed as answer by The Master Gee Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:22 PM
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:35 AM
  • Dam windows vista is the main problem !!!

But i did take my time right down to 15 seconds only using TuneUp Utilities 2009 (Allows users to try the software at no obligation for up to 30 days )

Id say its a bit better than regediting as i had no result from that and plus its best if you dont no much about pc s

http://www.tune-up.com/download/

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:30 PM
  • what applications were running?

Try to reduce startup programs.

• Proposed as answer by PCoptimizer Friday, February 18, 2011 1:36 AM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 1:29 AM
  • To diagnostic slow shutdown times, you have to follow my guide [1] to make a shutdown trace and compress the shutdown_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl as 7z or RAR and upload it to your Skydrive [2] and post the link here.

I take a look at the trace, maybe I see what's wrong with your Windows.

regards
    André

[1] http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140247
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:59 PM
  • i found a similar question on the web  that i think you may help you fix your shutdown problems: http://www.pcuser.com/content/questions/windows-takes-very-long-time-shut-down

- I hope this helps :)

Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:48 AM