none
Can ping synology, but not access file sharing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have a strange problem.

I have 2 synology servers, one in a location we'll call 10 and one in a separate office 2 blocks away that we'll call 20. they are connected by a VPN.

the unit we'll call synology1 is in building 20, the unit we'll call synology2 is in building 10

i have a new computer i added to the LAN in building 10. i can ping synology2 by name and by IP. but when i try to browse it in windows explorer \\synology2 and \\192.168.12.150 both give the "windows cannot access....." diagnose or cancel dialog box

but if i windows explorer browse synology1 (in the other building connected by VPN) i can access it fine by name or ip.

windows firewall is turned off. discovery/file sharing is turned on

i cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on.

Any help is appreciated.

-Albert

• Edited by AAATech Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:03 AM

All replies

• Hello Albert,

Please check the permissions settings on shares to see if the issue is caused by permission.

Disconnect synology2 from the VPN and then try to see if the new computer can access synology2.

What's the operating system of the new computer? If you still can't access synology2, please check logs in Event Viewer according to the corresponding timestamp.

Event Viewer->Applications and Services Logs->Microsoft->Windows->SMBClient.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:32 AM
  • Hi Leon,

thank you for your response.

to answer your questions:

permissions: there are no permissions, the shares are open

i disconnected the VPN and same problem

nothing revealing in the eventviewer. a few times it gives errors "Failed to establish a network connection." which we know.

Regards,

Albert

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:44 PM
  • Hello Albert,

You could try running the following commands on the client:

• logman start sinology -ets -pf Microsoft-Windows-SMBClient -bs 64 -o sinology.etl
    • [reproduce problem]
    • logman stop sinology -ets

Analysis of the sinology.etl file (perhaps using Microsoft Message Analyser or making the .etl available in this forum) might give some insight into what is going wrong...

Gary

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:54 PM
  • Hi Gary, i get Error, the system cannot find the file specified
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:56 PM
  • Hello Albert,

Sorry, that was my fault! The "-pf" should be replaced with just "-p".

The command "logman start -ets -?" shows some help. In the output below I have highlighted (in bold) the two optons that I mixed up.

Microsoft ® Logman.exe (10.0.18362.1)
    Usage:
      logman start <[-n] <name>> [options]
    Verbs:
      start                         Start an existing data collector and set the begin time to manual.
    Adverbs:
      trace                         Create a trace data collector.
    Options (trace):
      -f <bin|bincirc|csv|tsv|sql>  Specifies the log format for the data collector. For SQL
                                    database format, you must use the -o option in the command line
                                    with the DNS!log option. The defaults is binary.
      -mode <trace_mode>            Event Trace Session logger mode. For more information visit -
                                    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=136464
      -ct <perf|system|cycle>       Specifies the clock resolution to use when logging the time
                                    stamp for each event. You can use query performance counter,
                                    system time, or CPU cycle.
      -ln <logger_name>             Logger name for Event Trace Sessions.
      -ft <[[hh:]mm:]ss>            Event Trace Session flush timer.
      -[-]p <provider [flags [level]]> A single Event Trace provider to enable. The terms 'Flags' and
                                    'Keywords' are synonymous in this context.
      -pf <filename>                File listing multiple Event Trace providers to enable.
      -[-]rt                        Run the Event Trace Session in real-time mode.
      -[-]ul                        Run the Event Trace Session in user mode.
      -bs <value>                   Event Trace Session buffer size in kb.
      -nb <min max>                 Number of Event Trace Session buffers.
    Options:
      -?                            Displays context sensitive help.
      -s <computer>                 Perform the command on specified remote system.
      -config <filename>            Settings file containing command options.
      [-n] <name>                   Name of the target object.
      -as                           Perform the requested operation asynchronously.
      -m <[start] [stop]>           Change to manual start or stop instead of a scheduled begin or
                                    end time.
      -o <path|dsn!log>             Path of the output log file or the DSN and log set name in a SQL
                                    database. The default path is '%systemdrive%\PerfLogs\Admin'.
      -[-]r                         Repeat the data collector daily at the specified begin and end
                                    times.
      -[-]a                         Append to an existing log file.
      -[-]ow                        Overwrite an existing log file.
      -[-]max <value>               Maximum log file size in MB or number of records for SQL logs.
      -fd                           Flushes all the active buffers of an existing Event Trace
                                    Session to disk.
      -ets                          Send commands to Event Trace Sessions directly without saving or
                                    scheduling.
    Note:
      Where [-] is listed, an extra - negates the option.
      For example --r turns off the -r option.
    More Information:
      Microsoft TechNet - https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=136332

Examples:
      logman start perf_log
      logman start "NT Kernel Logger" -o log.etl -ets
      logman start "NT Kernel Logger" -p "Windows Kernel Trace" (process,thread) -ets

Gary

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:03 PM
  • ok, done. where can i find this file? it's not in c:\perflogs
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:09 PM
  • Hello Albert,

It is in the "current directory". If you issued the commands in a command window, then just type "dir sinology.etl" there and it should be visible. If you used some other method to issue the commands then the sinology.etl is probably in the default/home directory for the account under which logman was run (e.g. %SystemRoot\System32 for the administrator account).

Gary

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:15 PM
  • Thanks for your help Gary. this was the solution:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-in-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-and-windows-ser

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:04 PM
  • If the synology only has smb1, newer windows 10 don't have the enabled by default.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:08 PM