none
How to disable Windows Explorer History

General discussion

• Is there a way I can stop Windows Explorer (not IE) from showing history of folders I've accessed on my PC. I know I can simply go into IE and tell it to delete history and tempory files and it will remove everything, but is there a way to stop if from keeping history in the first place? Running Vista 64 bit just incase there are any subtle difference from the 32bit one.

Thanks, Jay

Thursday, July 02, 2009 12:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Do you mean the Recent Items at the Start menu showing history of files you've accessed on your computer?

Or do you mean Temporary Internet Files which stores copies of webpage, images, and media?

If it is related to Recent Items, you can perform the following method to turn off it in Windows Vista's start menu.

1.     Right-click the Start button and then select Properties.

2.     Uncheck Store and display a list of recently opened files under Privacy.

Otherwise, if you mean Temporary Internet Files, you can go to Temporary Internet Files and History Settings to set history page to 0. What's more, please click Advanced button in Internet Options window, and check 'Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed'.

If I misunderstand or you have any concern, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.

Hope this helps.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 5:03 AM
  • im wondering how you can keep your viewed folders from showing up in the path field of explorer as autocomplete values

ie: typing c:\r will autocomplete as c:\random_folder

Friday, July 03, 2009 3:05 PM
  • No I mean like files showing up in "Windows" Explorer, not IE, in the pull down bar at the top. For instance lets say you have some folders on your c drive named temp, temp1, temp2. I goto those folders and access files in them. Then I close them all out. Next time I open My Computer, if I click on the pull down bar at the top where it shows Computer with the little icon next to it and the >s. It will show C:\temp, C:\temp1, and C:\temp2 under it, I'm guessing because they were folders I recently accessed on the PC. Guessing because IE is somewhat integrated in Windows, that when I clear history in it, that it also clears history in the Windows Explorer windows as well.

But what I'm trying to do is stop Windows from showing this history of folders I've been to. I mean it's easy to clear the history and it all goes away, but it's just bugs me that you have to do that everytime and there doesn't seem to be a way to just turn it off.

Jay
    Friday, July 03, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Based on my research, you can visit the following website to manually delete unwanted items from the drop-down box of Windows Explorer addreesbar.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-unwanted-items-from-addressbar-history-in-windows-explorer/

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

You are right that Internet Explorer is integrated in Windows, Internet Explorer uses the same addressbar with Windows Explorer. To disable this kind of feature, you need to turn off AutoComplete. For detail information, please visit the following website.

How to turn off AutoComplete

http://articles.winferno.com/internet-privacy/turning-off-autocomplete/

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Monday, July 06, 2009 3:35 AM
  • Hello support,

Instead of the folders I have recently visited my drop down box shows a few of the websites I have visited in the past (even though I havent visited some of them at all recently). How do I remove those website links?

Akroma

Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:34 PM