none
Unable to Install Custom.wim with MDT / BDD

Question

• We've created a customized Install Image ("Master-Custom.wim", prepared before capturing with sysprep ..). Our intention is to deploy this Master -Custom.wim with MDT/BDD (incl. using the Deploy-Databasesettings). Therefore we've added OS Type "Custom image file" with the Master-Custom.wim. OS-setup- files ("Copy Windows Vista or W2k8 setup files from the specidied path.") from Vista-InstCD. After the Deployment Point-Update we've replaced the LT-WinPE Bootimage in WDS.

Problem:

The LT-WinPE is booting via PXE, the Task Sequence is starting correctly with Initalization, Validation, State Caputure and Preinstall.

But the sequence "Install Operating System" doesn't work. We're getting the error:

"Windows cannot access the necessary file \\WDS-Server\Distribution$\Operating Systems\CustomOS\Master-Custom.wim. Make sure alle files required for installation are available, and restart the installation."

After this message we're getting a red "Deployment Summary"-window:

"The package (patch) GUID DEFAULT does not exist. Setup failed applying image...".

Note:

The Master-Custom.wim is accessable, additionally we can see in the Server Manager under "Manage Open Files ..." that the required files are accessed.

What's wrong with our Master-Custom.wim, or are there any files missing to install/setup the image???

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:45 PM

Answers

• How are you going about capturing your image with imagex?

You need to have the /flags switch to tell the deployment tools what version of vista you are capturing.

ex:

for vista enterprise:  imagex /compress fast /flags "Enterprise" /verify /capture c: z:\image_name.wim "description"

The quotes are necessary.  Also try to avoid hyphens and use underscores instead.  Not sure if that makes a difference, but you never know.  Can anyone verify this?

Also, exactly what version of BDD/MDT are you using?  BDD 2007, MDT, MDT 2008?  WAIK, WAIK 1.1?  Are you running x86 or x64 versions?

All of these questions (including previous poster's questions) have different answers, depending on what you are actually using.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:27 PM
  •  

I just noticed this in the original post, "OS-setup- files ("Copy Windows Vista or W2k8 setup files from the specidied path.") from Vista-InstCD" I think you are saying here that you selected that setup files were required. That's not the correct option to select if you already have a wim file. That option is for scripted installs.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:32 PM

All replies

• I am a little confused by your post so please excuse me if I am asking stupid questions but I think we can get to the bottom of this. Let me ask you a few things to see if we can make some progress.

1. You added the custom wim file into the workbench as an OS by selecting "Custom Image File" and "setup and sysprep files not needed"?

2. you added out-of-box drivers so you have NIC drivers?

3.You added a task sequence in the workbench that contains your custom os wim?

4. You added a lab deployment point edited the rules and bootstrap.ini to reflect your settings? (can you please post your cs.ini?)

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:55 PM
  • How are you going about capturing your image with imagex?

You need to have the /flags switch to tell the deployment tools what version of vista you are capturing.

ex:

for vista enterprise:  imagex /compress fast /flags "Enterprise" /verify /capture c: z:\image_name.wim "description"

The quotes are necessary.  Also try to avoid hyphens and use underscores instead.  Not sure if that makes a difference, but you never know.  Can anyone verify this?

Also, exactly what version of BDD/MDT are you using?  BDD 2007, MDT, MDT 2008?  WAIK, WAIK 1.1?  Are you running x86 or x64 versions?

All of these questions (including previous poster's questions) have different answers, depending on what you are actually using.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:27 PM
  •  

I just noticed this in the original post, "OS-setup- files ("Copy Windows Vista or W2k8 setup files from the specidied path.") from Vista-InstCD" I think you are saying here that you selected that setup files were required. That's not the correct option to select if you already have a wim file. That option is for scripted installs.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:32 PM
  • 1. No:

"Custom Image File" (you're right) and "Copy Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 setup files from the specified path."

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

customsettings.ini:

Settings]
    Priority=CSettings, CPackages, CApps, CAdmins, CRoles, Locations, LSettings, LPackages, LApps, LAdmins, LRoles, MMSettings, MMPackages, MMApps, MMAdmins, MMRoles, RSettings, RPackages, RApps, RAdmins, Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER
    UserDomain=BM-ADTEST
    UserID=Administrator
    UserPassword=rsp1is44

UserDataLocation=NONE
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES

[CSettings]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    SQLShare=\\BN-WDS1\Distribution$
    Table=ComputerSettings
    Parameters=UUID, AssetTag, SerialNumber, MacAddress
    ParameterCondition=OR

[CPackages]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=ComputerPackages
    ParameterCondition=OR
    Order=Sequence

[CApps]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=ComputerApplications
    ParameterCondition=OR
    Order=Sequence

[CAdmins]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=ComputerAdministrators
    ParameterCondition=OR

[CRoles]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=ComputerRoles
    ParameterCondition=OR

[Locations]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=Locations
    Parameters=DefaultGateway

[LSettings]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=LocationSettings

[LPackages]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=LocationPackages
    Order=Sequence

[LApps]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=LocationApplications
    Order=Sequence

[LAdmins]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=LocationAdministrators

[LRoles]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=LocationRoles

[MMSettings]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=MakeModelSettings
    Parameters=Make, Model

[MMPackages]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=MakeModelPackages
    Parameters=Make, Model
    Order=Sequence

[MMApps]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=MakeModelApplications
    Parameters=Make, Model
    Order=Sequence

[MMAdmins]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=MakeModelAdministrators
    Parameters=Make, Model

[MMRoles]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=MakeModelRoles
    Parameters=Make, Model

[RSettings]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=RoleSettings
    Parameters=Role

[RPackages]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=RolePackages
    Parameters=Role
    Order=Sequence

[RApps]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=RoleApplications
    Parameters=Role
    Order=Sequence

[RAdmins]
    SQLServer=BN-WDS1
    Instance=SQLEXPRESS
    Database=Deployment
    Netlib=DBNMPNTW
    Table=RoleAdministrators
    Parameters=Role

Regards

MicLe

Monday, April 21, 2008 11:38 AM
  • I assume you got this figured out since answers are marked as correct but just in case you didn't I will point out that setup files are not needed when using a custom wim file. Setup files are used when doing a "scripted" installation.

Monday, April 21, 2008 11:52 AM
  • Thanks to flayofish!

Your tip "... /flags ..." is the solution for our problem!!!

We're using: MDT 2008 v4.1.523.0, WAIK (x64) 1.1 v6.0.6001.18000

We've done the capturing with a Capture-Image from WDS. After this we deploy the Image with MDT. The deployment in this case is an installation within the Tasksequence. The WAIK-ImageX-help describes this ("The /flags value is required if you are going to re-deploy a custom Install.wim with Windows Setup."). In the MDT-Documentation you cannot find anything about this circumstances.

Once more: many thanks to flayofish!!!

Monday, April 21, 2008 12:53 PM
  • The reason for /FLAGS not being documented is probably because when you use the built-in capture function, which is documented, MDT will add the /FLAGS switch automatically.

And to Mr Marcum, sorry, you do need the setup files, even when deploying a custom image.... either by adding the Vista DVD as an OS to the workbench, or by pointing to it when adding the custom image as an OS.

The source setup files must also match the version of the custom image.

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:57 PM
  • I was referring to the option in the New OS Wizard "Sysprep and Setup Files Are Not Needed" Is that not the correct option to chose when deploying a custom .wim?

I thought you could add server 2003 source files only and deploy server or XP.

Are you saying that I have to add XP source files if I want to deploy XP?

I guess that's why you have an MVP and I don't :-P

Monday, April 21, 2008 9:11 PM
  • Only Vista... Lite Touch will run setup.exe when deploying Vista, not imagex, and therefor needs the setup files... when deploying legacy os images, imagex is used...

Monday, April 21, 2008 10:32 PM
  • touche' Mr. Arwidmark.

That'll teach me!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:14 PM
  • To further clarify,

If you are deploying a custom Vista .wim image, you can select setup files are not needed.

edit: yes you do need the Vista DVD as an OS in order to use the sysprep and setup files are not needed option on your custom .wims.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:13 PM
  • When adding a Vista Image (as a Custom Image File) you need to either specify setup files or add a full Vista DVD as an operating system (full set of source files)

If you only add a Custom Vista Image (as a Custom Image) and not specify setup files or add a full Vista DVD as an operating system (full set of source files) you will se the following error:

ERROR - Unable to find SETUP, needed to install the image \\Server\Distribution$\Operating Systems\Windows Vista Enterprise Sp1 Eng x86\Windows Vista Enterprise Sp1 Eng x86.wim

ZTI Error - Non-zero return code by LTIApply, rc = 1

It's easy to reproduce...   make a backup of the operating systems folder.. delete all operating systems.... add your vista image (as a Custom Image file without specyfing setup files).. try the deployment, it will fail with the above error

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Hi There I get the same problem using BDD 2007 with Patch 2.

I have read alot of blogs and posts that say you must include the setup files with your custom image basically the second option from the add os wizard screen.

Is this correct as I have had it working with just the custom image. But now I get the error. .

I read that this is all to do with the WAIK 1.1  needing to be re-installed.

Just a bit confused.

If any one has any iformation then please reply. Thanks

Monday, June 02, 2008 11:41 AM
  • This is correct.  You must have the installation files with your custom.wim file.  The reason this could have worked before is that if the TS can't find the installation files it will look for them in another OS, possibly your original task sequence.  If it finds them it will use them, otherwise it will fail with the failed to find setup error.  So to make this more consistant it is recommended to copy the setup files in with your custom.wim file in the appropriate OS folder.

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:54 PM
  • THANKS, Johan!  This resolved my issue!

When importing my custom .wim file into Workbench, I needed to browse to the location of my Windows 7 OS Setup files.....

THANKS!

RLR:-)

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:21 PM
  • I know this thread is really old but since it's the first thing that comes up on a Google search for this error I thought I would post my solution to this problem which seems to have resurfaced since the release of Windows 7 SP1.

I just received this message after replacing our old Windows 7 source files with the new Windows 7 SP1 source.  The problem is that the custom images we're deploying are still based on the old Windows 7 initial release and so they look for the SETUP.EXE file associated with that release instead of using the one packaged with SP1.

Our solution was to re-import the old Windows 7 release CD and keep it in the deployment share until such time as we can rebuild our custom images using the SP1 source.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 11:13 PM