none
Bootmgr is missing

Question

• Hi,

I am getting an error message saying 'bootmgr is missing. Press ctrl - alt - del to restart'

I have read posts saying that you can repair this with the Vista repair disk, but i wasn't supplied with one.

Is there a way to fix this without the disk?

Cheers

Friday, November 16, 2007 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi quincy_yvsin,

Thank you for the post.

In most cases, the error message indicates that the boot sector is damaged or missing.

We can try to use the following methods to troubleshoot the issue. However, performing the following steps requires a Windows Vista installation disk. If you do not have a disk, please contact your computer manufacturer or Microsoft Customer Service to obtain one.

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400, available from Monday to Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

===========================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER.

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore (If System Restore is enabled on your computer)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

What’s the result?

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:08 AM

All replies

• Hi quincy_yvsin,

Thank you for the post.

In most cases, the error message indicates that the boot sector is damaged or missing.

We can try to use the following methods to troubleshoot the issue. However, performing the following steps requires a Windows Vista installation disk. If you do not have a disk, please contact your computer manufacturer or Microsoft Customer Service to obtain one.

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400, available from Monday to Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER.

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore (If System Restore is enabled on your computer)

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

What’s the result?

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:08 AM
  • What do you do if nothing shows up under avalible operating systems? I know I have vista on my second sata drive and linux on the other. unfortunatly after installing linux I lost the ability to boot to vista.

Need help please .

Sunday, March 02, 2008 4:07 PM
  • what if vista was factory installed? I have no disc to re-install with.

what do I do?

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:56 PM
  • As you don’t have a Vista DVD, you can download and create a Recovery Disk (32-bit x86 or 64-bit x64) here http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ After downloading the ISO image to your hard disk, burn it to a CD (a DVD is not necessary as the 32-bit version is 120MB and the 64-bit version is 148MB).

It cannot install Vista but it repairs an installation in the same way as the Vista DVD, i.e. boot from the disk, choose ‘Press any key to boot from CD/DVD’ and Vista will start to load the Windows files. Select your language, time, currency and keyboard then click ‘Repair’ in the bottom left corner. Within the repair option there are five choices: Startup Repair, System Restore, Backup Restore, Memory Test and Command Prompt.

Choose Command Prompt, then

Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR (the capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter

Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT (the capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 2:57 PM
  • I was searching for a solution and came across this thread. Method 1 worked perfectly for me. I was really worried that I was going to lose all my data; this would have been awful timing since I'm waiting on a new external hdd that I ordered to backup everything :(

Tim, thank you for your assistance, it is much appreciated. I was wondering if you could provide a bit more detail on what could have caused this? In my particular situation, I think it had something to do with me reformating my system restore partition (d) within computer management. For me windows boots on C and I have a small D partition (which is very common I assume). I had also accidentally marked the D drive as 'live' and couldn't figure out how to undo this. Could this have potentially caused my 'Bootmgr missing'?

Thanks again!
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:43 PM
  • December 27, 2009

Dear Mr. Quan,

When I try using your Method 1, I get an Error Prompt, "Startup Repair could not detect a problem.  If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer."  I do not have a device attached to my computer.  If you read this, may I please request your kind advise?

When I use Method 2, in the System Recovery Options dialog box, and type the command, Bootrec /RebuildBcd , I get a prompt, "Total identified Windows Installations: 0."  The operation completed successfully."

Thank you very much.

Dear Burrwalnut,

When I type in the Commands,

"BOOTREC /FIXMBR (the capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT (the capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter"

I get prompts, "The operation completed successfully."

Is there anyone, who has not already replied to me in the past, and who can advise me how to recover my personal files and data on my personal computer?  Someone has been deleting my personal files by remote-access and by unlawfully trespassing my home.

Thank you very much.

Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Hi. I can't get past step 5 in each method because there is no operating system to choose from in the System Recovery Options box. I then tried reinstalling Windows Vista I only have the "Custom (advanced)" Option and when I enter that I have to choose "Where [I] want to install Windows?".

There are 3 things:

Name                               Total Size               Free Space          Type

Disk 0 Unallocated Space     47.0MB                    47.0MB

Disk 0 Partition 1                 462.7GB                  462.7GB                Primary

Disk 0 Partition 2                 3.0GB                      3.0GB                   Logical

When I choose the first option, it says "The selected partition requires at least 6826 MB free space.".
    When I choose the second option, it says "Windows is unable to find a system that meets criteria for installation."
    When I choose the third option, it says "The selected partition requires at least 6826 MB free space" again!

I have the option to "Load Driver" and when i select it, it says:

"To install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK.

Note: The installation media can be a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive."

I have the option to Browse but I don't know what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone could help me now it would let me save the money I'd be spending on a technician? Thank you.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Go here http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

This solution fixed my missing Bootmgr error.

The OEM disk would not repair it.  I am running Win 7 x64 and when I burned the boot disk from the above article I was able to repair my system.

Windows 7 repair disks can be found here: http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:06 PM
  • I have the same problem as stephen Da "I can't get past step 5 in each method because there is no operating system to choose from in the System Recovery Options box. I then tried reinstalling Windows Vista I only have the "Custom (advanced)" Option and when I enter that I have to choose "Where [I] want to install Windows?".
     I put in my drivers disk on my second CD drive but still nothing comes up when i browse through it there are so many files that lead no where and im just aimlessly trying to find a file that sounds familiar

When I use Method 2, in the System Recovery Options dialog box, and type the command, Bootrec /RebuildBcd , I get a prompt, "Total identified Windows Installations: 0."  The operation completed successfully." Nothing changes afterwards.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 10:59 PM