none
Error "Integration features have been disabled" Error "The parameter is incorrect".

Question

• As the title states, I 'm experiencing trouble starting Virtual Windows XP for Windows 7.  I downloaded and installed Virtual PC Beta for Windows 7 as well as the Virtual Windows XP.VHD.  Once restarted, I double clicked on Virtual Windows XP in the start menu... everything looked good, yet part way through the setup I got an error "Integration features have been disabled".  In the same dialogue box I read, "You can log on to continue without these features.  To try enabling integration features, you can close the windows virtual application window and then start the virtual machine".   After I closed this window I got another error message "The parameter is incorrect".   So, I made my way to the Virtual PC folder in the start menu and opened the virtual machines folder.  I then right clicked on virtual windows xp machine and selected settings; it the setting I went into integration features and disabled it on startup. I Tried to start virtual windows xp again and this time I just got an error "The parameter is incorrect".  When I close this dialogue box the virtual windows xp install stops and the virtual windows xp vm hibernates.  Really need some help!  Cheers!
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:11 PM

Answers

• Can you help us with the logs ?

Please set the traces on (as below), repro this issue, and send us %temp%\VPC_* files from the host machine .

Run the following from elevated CMD
    setx VPC_OUTPUT_LEVEL 15 /M

setx VPC_TRACE_LEVEL 15 /M

Repro the issue again and send the %temp%\VPC_* files from the host machine

In Windows Event Viewer, navigate to Applications and Service Logs->Microsoft->Windows->Virtual PC->Admin and around the time of failure see if any error/warning is logged.

You can mail us these at
    wcvdata@microsoft.com

Thanks, -Rahul -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."

Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Thanks Paul. We have noted the details and will look into them.
    Please let us know if you can repro the above bug with some steps.

Nitin
    Monday, June 01, 2009 5:15 PM

All replies

• Can you help us with the logs ?

Please set the traces on (as below), repro this issue, and send us %temp%\VPC_* files from the host machine .

Run the following from elevated CMD
    setx VPC_OUTPUT_LEVEL 15 /M

setx VPC_TRACE_LEVEL 15 /M

Repro the issue again and send the %temp%\VPC_* files from the host machine

In Windows Event Viewer, navigate to Applications and Service Logs->Microsoft->Windows->Virtual PC->Admin and around the time of failure see if any error/warning is logged.

You can mail us these at
    wcvdata@microsoft.com

Thanks, -Rahul -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."

Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:22 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem and it went away. I'm not really sure why, but here's the sequence of events

1. Installed windows virtual pc and xp mode. XP mode gave the "Integration features have been disabled message"

2. I tried uninstalling xp mode through control panel and reinstalling. Same thing.

3. I then wondered if it was anything to do with the fact that I hadn't yet entered a product key for windows 7 rc so I registered it.

4. When trying to launch windows virtual pc, I got a message along the lines of "Virtualisation is disabled. Enable it in your bios"
    Did activation cause this?

5. I uninstalled xp mode, and then I uninstalled windows virtual pc using the /uninstall switch on the update file from a command prompt.

6. Reinstalled both wvpc and xpmode. Same error that hardware virtualisation was not enabled.

7. Unistalled both. Reinstalled virtual pc. Tried virtual pc on another vmc which I created ages ago under virtual pc 2007. Same error that virtualisation was not enbabled.
    8. After looking around the internet came across a post advising cycle cpu via a cold boot and this can cure the virtualisation not enabled problem so shutdown and restarted
    9. Tried wvpc on the old vmc and it came up without error.
    10. Reinstalled xp mode and it too came up without error and the integration feature phase went through ok.

I've never ever had a problem with virtual pc 2007 not seeing hardware virtualisation enabled. Its been enabled since may 2007 when I built this pc.
    It seems a mighty big coincidence that hardware virtualisation went away according to wvpc when I activated windows 7, and only came back after a cold boot.
    It also seems too big a coincidence that integration features install ok with an activated copy of vista and not on an unactivated one.

Still, it's all rather circumstancial, one for the microsoft development test team I think. There is one, isn't there? ;-)

I hope this helps somone. It's been a frustrating couple of hours.

P.S. The Event ID 146 occurrences in the virtual pc eventlog which are also visible under Customised Views\Adminstrative events which state that "Virtual PC Integration Components on 'Virtual Windows XP 2' is out of date. Please update to the latest version of Virtual PC Integration Components." still occur after xpmode installs with its integration features working.

London UK
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Hello Paul, 

The Windows Virtual PC requires Hardware Assisted Virtualization support. The issue above occurs due to some BIOS issues. Could you please check that you have the latest BIOS? Also, can you share your hardware details.

The Event ID issue is known.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:32 PM
  • "The Windows Virtual PC requires Hardware Assisted Virtualization support"

I know, and its always been enabled for virtual pc 2007 running under vista and I've never had any issues enabling harware virtualisation in individual vm's
    I work in IT by the way.

DIY build a just over a year ago.

Abit IP35 Pro Motherboard bios 17 (This IS the latest official on the abit website although I have seen an 18 floating around on some tech forums. I think its a beta that was released on request for e0 stepping support. Funnily enough I probably need it as I have a q9650 sitting in the corner waiting to be installed in this setup.

8GB Corsair Dominator (2 x 4gb kits TWIN2X4096 -8500C5DF) Currently running at 800MhZ
    Intel E8400 (3GHZ) NOT CURRENTLY OVERCLOCKED
    1 X 500gb Western Digital Caviar WD500KS SATA
    1x 1TB Wester Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS SATA
    MSI NX8800GT 512MB Graphics
    Hauppauge WINTV-HVR1700
    Corsair HX620 Power Supply
    NEC DVD-RW ND-2500A ATA

All drivers running came with windows 7 RC

The only software I have installed for testing is a copy of Office 2007 Ultimate with EVERYTHING selected and a copy of AVG Free Antivirus 8.5

All possible updates to windows 7 rc and office 2007 ultimate (SP2+..)  had been applied at the time of the windows virtual pc/xp mode vhd installation.

If you need anymore let me know.

Best Regards

Paul

London UK
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Thanks Paul. We have noted the details and will look into them.
    Please let us know if you can repro the above bug with some steps.

Nitin
    Monday, June 01, 2009 5:15 PM
  • This was driving me mad but I eventually got everything sorted out and enabled by following some of the steps detailed by Paul Hodges.

I was trying to enable the feature in a virtual machine I had previously created in Virtual PC 2007 SP1. I copied the VM files across to a Windows 7 install I was testing, installed VP Beta and used the copied virtual hard drive etc. Whatever I tried, I could not enable the integration feature. Until I tried something in Paul's post.

Whilst the Virtual Machine was running, I went in to its Control Panel chose to change the product key. I had an unused key knocking around and entered this and then activated the key.

Bingo, everything sorted itself out with a quick reboot. I was able to install of the intergrated features and I now have all of my host drives etc readily available from within my virtual OS

Monday, June 01, 2009 7:53 PM
  • I am getting the same issue and until now could not fix it.
    Any idea?

I am using Windows 7 x64 and I have 4 virtual machines
    1. Virtual Machine for XP
    2. Windows 2008 Server (from VS.Net 2010)
    3. Windows Server 2000 (from VPC 2007)
    4. Windows XP-English

All machines shows the same issue.
    .Net Senior Developer
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:58 PM
  • OK After getting this error I also was stumped, I have a Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Core 2 Quad system with 8GB RAM. Without warning my Virtual XP was like a turtle loading and then gave the same error.

This morning I tried again and same error, and nothing I did helped. After pressing continue I get the same box that looks like XP mode but black and a blinking cursor like DOS mode. I also could not increase the size of the box and even Ctrl+Alt+Del did nothing to kill the VXP..

I did have at the top of the VXP ineterface the 'Action, USB, Tools, etc.. So when ever I tried to kill it the VPC would just go into hibernation and then when I tried to reboot it took ages and did the same. Here is how I fixed it finally.

I went to Tools, Settings and 5th from the bottom on the left side was Intergration Features. When I clicked on these Integration Features all the boxes were checked with the exception of the most important "Enable at startup" So I checked it clicked OK. Now I had the issiue of not being able to STOP V XP (as I said it would only hibernate) I went to Win7 and typed Ctrl+Alt+Del and selected start task manager, then the 2nd tab Processes, and clicked on the column Image name so they would be alphabetical (also you must tick the box on bottom left first in some instances "Show processes from all users.

Anyway I clicked to end vpc.exe and suddenly the box that was only black in Virtual XP went white, then I went one tab over and selected the Windows XP mode and clicked end process. Without rebooting my Win 7, I booted Virtual XP again and it came up first time and the Integration feature was enabled.

I hope this helps someone

Good luck

Saturday, July 31, 2010 9:29 AM
  • Bob_bunny,

followed your sequence of actions and resolved the exact same issue you had. thanks for sharing.

also, for anyone trying to get to the cause , I started getting this issue after an windows update - KB2286198

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:31 AM
  • My VM would not shut down last night and I had to force it to close. This morning the integration features would not load, but following Bob_Bunny's post got me up and running again.
    Friday, August 06, 2010 3:28 PM
  • I had the same symptoms as Bob_Bunny (running Win 7 Pro 64) and his solution worked for me too.  Many thanks!
    Monday, September 20, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Cold boot did it for me.  I should have tried that first rather than all the other processes suggested on this forum. ;)

Thanks for the solution.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Hi

I am installing a software on Windows XP mode which is compatible with XP. It requires restart after installation. Whenever I am doing restart the Windows XP virtual mode is coming up with black screen and giving message "could not enable integration features". I try to reinstall the Windows XP mode but after installing the same software this happened again  when I restart the Windows XP virtual mode.

If I am going to Tools (of Windows XP Mode) -> Settings -> Integration Features its current value is Unavailable.

May I have solution for this problem please?

Many Thanks
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Going through quite a few of the suggestions the only one that worked and was the simplest was to uninstall windows update KB2286198 as SWsherlock mentioned.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Hi
    I am installing a software on Windows XP mode which is compatible with XP. It requires restart after installation. Whenever I am doing restart the Windows XP virtual mode is coming up with black screen and giving message "could not enable integration features". I try to reinstall the Windows XP mode but after installing the same software this happened again  when I restart the Windows XP virtual mode.
    If I am going to Tools (of Windows XP Mode) -> Settings -> Integration Features its current value is Unavailable.
    May I have solution for this problem please?
    Many Thanks

I have the exact same problem.  XP mode worked great for months, and suddenly I get the same INTEGRATION FEATURES     -       UNAVAILABLE (and grayed out)

What is this problem, but most importantly, how do I fix it???

Monday, May 02, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Thank you Bob_Bunny, worked for me too.

Confirmed on Win 7 Pro. x64 Fr. as of May 8 2011.

Lizarc

Sunday, May 08, 2011 3:51 PM
  • I also followed Bob_Bunny's instructions BUT:

When I went to Tools, Setting, Integration Features, it was already checked "Enable at Startup".  I unchecked the box to disable it.  I then shutdown VXP mode as described by Bob_Bunny.  It was able to start VXP normally with no errors.  I then went in to Tools, Setting, Integration Features again, re-selected "Enable at Startup" then did a normal Shutdown of VXP mode (using the Ctrl Alt Del button on the top right).  I was able to startup again normally with no message, integration features enables and was able to attach my USB device properly.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Thanks very much Bob_Bunny. I had the same problem you had, and your solution was perfect! What a relief!

Friday, July 15, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Hi!

This happened for me after an Windows 7 Update. (Sp1) Both on my computer and the VPC.

Looking into all of the other suggestions of solutions, I tried out another approach. So here is the answer on How to solve the problem with "Integration features have been disabled":

1. Uninstalling the Integration Component on the virtual pc

2. This will force a reboot of the virtual computer.

3. After the restart, logg on the VPC

4. In the tools menu of the VPC window, you should see an option to Install the Integration Features.

5. Click this option and follow the installation on the VPC screen.

6. A new reboot have to be done after the installation (done automatically by the installation)

7. After the restart, log on and then under the same tool menu, select Enable Integration Features.

8. Then it is up and running again!

Hopes this helps you as well

Regards

a no more frustrated Norwegian

Harald Lund

Monday, August 08, 2011 8:56 AM
  • Many Thanks Bob_Bunny your solution is very good and its working with me now after long time :)

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:37 PM
  • The proceedure described by dagu7dagu5 was not exactly the same, but shutting down the VM in the Task Manager processes worked for me. The problem occurred when a program running in the VM was updated and after that the VM would not load integration features.

• Proposed as answer by Computer Art Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:10 AM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:10 AM
  • Hi Harald Lund,

I tried using your steps, but after I uninstalled the Integration Component on the Virtual PC I restarted my VPC and logged in but now if I try to perform the step 4 nothing is happening.

I tried restarting couple of times but no luck.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:17 PM
  • Same deal. XP mode would fail to enable integration features after a BSOD on the host OS. 

My "enable at startup" was already checked but I just deselected and reselected it and ended the VPC.exe process. After that my XP mode kick back up and is running like a boss. 

Thanks Bob_Bunny!

Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:22 PM
  • This is a Windows XP Security update. 

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=14416

So you're running Virtual XP Mode on an XP machine?????  Huh???  Just for grins I checked the updates within XP Mode and this update is not there.

I think we have a communication breakdown here.  I thought this thread was about Integration Features UNAVAILABLE.  Not simply "disabled."  I wish my problem was so simple as to go into a menu and turn it on.

• Edited by harleydood Friday, March 30, 2012 6:43 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 6:39 PM
  • My "Enable at startup" was also already checked - I did exactly you did - but after restarting nothing happened, I got the same message as before! Is there any other solution? Thanks.
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Windows 7 Pro running on a Dell N4010 with Core i3 64-bit.

I had the same problem as Bob-Bunny so followed the process he described. I found that Enable at Statup was already checked so I left it alone and simply ended vpc. exe and Windows XP Mode. When I restarted Virtual machine, all was well. Perhaps there's a glitch in hibernating Vitual PC rather than closing it.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:23 PM