none
Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro not working. RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a windows 10 pro product key from microsoft to upgrade my windows 10 home edition, but when I enter the new key it says (We couldn't activate Windows- The product key you entered can't be used to activate this edition of Windows. Please try a different key). Is it possible to upgrade to windows 10 pro without doing a complete new install? 
    Sunday, March 27, 2016 1:15 PM

Answers

• I purchased a windows 10 pro product key from microsoft to upgrade my windows 10 home edition, but when I enter the new key it says (We couldn't activate Windows- The product key you entered can't be used to activate this edition of Windows. Please try a different key). Is it possible to upgrade to windows 10 pro without doing a complete new install? 

Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, Activation > right side, click Change product key > now enter this generic Pro product key...............VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

That will start changing your Win 10 Home to Pro, but not activated.
    When completed, use your purchased Win 10 Pro key to activate.

Sunday, March 27, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Hi, 

First, please let me know what kind of product key you  have, the full pro version or just upgrade key from Windows store.

As I know, to upgrade to Windows 10 pro, we may go to:

Settings->Update and security->Activation, then click on the Go to Store.

Then Windows 10 pro would be available there.

For the other way, we may consider download the proper install Media and then perform an upgrade install to

keep the files and settings.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:29 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hello,

Please follow the answer of this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/40bb79c9-41e6-43a5-a496-1c73eee950ac/upgrade-windows-10-home-to-windows-10-pro-using-volume-license?forum=win10itprogeneral

Let us know if you need more help, Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

Sunday, March 27, 2016 1:32 PM

Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, Activation > right side, click Change product key > now enter this generic Pro product key...............VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

That will start changing your Win 10 Home to Pro, but not activated.
    When completed, use your purchased Win 10 Pro key to activate.

Sunday, March 27, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Hi, 

First, please let me know what kind of product key you  have, the full pro version or just upgrade key from Windows store.

As I know, to upgrade to Windows 10 pro, we may go to:

Settings->Update and security->Activation, then click on the Go to Store.

Then Windows 10 pro would be available there.

For the other way, we may consider download the proper install Media and then perform an upgrade install to

keep the files and settings.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:29 PM
    Owner