none
Download folder has no 'plus' sign to expand folder in windows explorer

Question

• My download folder has no 'plus' sign normally used to expand a folder in windows explorer.  I can only open up the file from the left frame and its contents will show in the right frame.  So in other words it wont show sub-folders in the left frame.  I have to go through each folder to see the contents inside.  Seems like it must be just a setting but I cant figure it out.  Please help.  Thanks

So far, 22 views and no one has the same problem?  No one has any idea how to change it?  Any ideas at all?

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Where is the Download folder located? If it is under Favorites, it is just the shortcut of Download without plug.

Please navigate to C -> Users -> Your username -> Downloads, you will find plug or arrow there in the left pane if the Download folder has subfolders.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by djneilsfla Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:26 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is this about Windows 7? In Windows 7 there is no plus sign in explorer, but a small arrow. Also these arrows only show up when movving the mouse over the left pane in Windows explorer.

I am 99,99% sure this behaviour is not configurable. That would mean there is something wrong with the Windows installation. Top exclode any setting, in explorer press ALT and click tools-fodlr options. In the new windows click "restore defaults" on each tab. Then close and re-open explore and check whther the issue still persists

Please first check whther the issue also occurs in clean boot and when using an alternate user account. If so, consider running SFC /scannow to search for missing or corrupted system files or using system restore to estore your computer to a known good state.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

• Edited by SenneVL Wednesday, November 09, 2011 3:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 3:42 PM
  • IM sorry, yes I shouldve mentioned it is indeed windows 7.  I mistakenly thought I posed my question within  Windows 7 specific environment.  My fault.  Yes, I see the arrows for the other folders beneath, but for some reason I am unable to expand the download folder in the left pane.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Hi,

Where is the Download folder located? If it is under Favorites, it is just the shortcut of Download without plug.

Please navigate to C -> Users -> Your username -> Downloads, you will find plug or arrow there in the left pane if the Download folder has subfolders.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by djneilsfla Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:26 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Thank you Niki.  Thats exactly it.  I guess in previous versions it was possible but not now.  Anyway, Its a little less convenient, but that is the answer.  So simple.  Thank you.

Neil

Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:28 AM