none
Windows Update KB938371 Failed code 80070017

Question

• I have tried everything on every post I could find on this issue and nothing works. Where can I upload my screenshot, Update log file, and NFO files to?
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:49 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Please note this tool cannot be available on Windows Vista SP1.

If you didn’t install SP1, let’s take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Before we go any further, let's backup the registry key first.

1. Click "Start", type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Select "My Computer" (the root node) on the left pane, under the "File" menu, click "Export", under Export, choose "All Export" range, and select "Desktop" in the Save in box and type "backup" as the File Name. Click "Save".

Note: If any unexpected issue happens, we can restore the registry key simply by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

Input the following commands in the CMD window and press ENTER at the end of each line:

REG   ADD   HKLM\COMPONENTS   /V   STORECORRUPTTIMESTAMP   /T   REG_SZ   /D   "0"   /F

REG   DELETE    HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\CHECKSUR\

Install CheckSUR again.

If still fail, please only post the CBS log.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:45 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

First, I would like to share the following information in Windows Update error code list.

0x80070017 ERROR_CRC Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

This error "cyclic redundancy" typically occurs when the hard disk is not working properly. We can try troubleshoot this issue by taking the following steps. (If you have tied them before, please ignore them and let me know)

1. Login the computer in Safe Mode.

2. Launch an elevated CMD window.

3. Run the following command:

Chkdsk /R

If a message is received asking if we will schedule the check the next time the system restarts, select "Y". Then restart the computer and we will be able to finish the scan.

4. After that, please try running disk defragment also in "Safe Mode".

5. Restart the computer and check the Windows Update issue.

Friday, May 16, 2008 10:43 AM
  • Ok, ran a check disk in administrative CMD window, and a defrag all in safe mode...now getting a:
    80073715 error on the KB938371 update.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 10:23 PM
  •  

Hi,

This indicates that we have resolved the disk CRC Data error. The error message should be a new one. At this time, let’s resolve it by taking in-place upgrade:

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.
    2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3. Install Vista.
    4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.
    5. Test the issue after the installation finished.

If you do not have Windows Vista installation DVD, you can contact your computer manufacturer to get it.

Monday, May 19, 2008 11:12 AM
  • Ok, I purchaced a Vista Home Premium Upgrade via marketplace/download through digital locker when Vista first came out. I have only done 1 (one) install and that is this one I am running.
    I tried to follow your directions but when it got to where to choose wich installation, it told me that upgrade has been locked out and is not option and the only one left is a clean install with loosing all files.
    Now I have all my personal files on another drive......but if I have to go through all that updating drivers again , I will almost certainly downgrade to XP........
    Please tell me there is another option.....I like Vista, but I am a little OCD about having all the updates. If I can't install one, that meens something is wrong..and hiding it is not an option. I just want it to work right.
    Monday, May 19, 2008 11:09 PM
  • Hi,

Given the current situation, let’s troubleshoot this issue by another way.

Step 1: Download KB938371 from the following site:
    ================================
    Download KB938371 to your desktop.

Update for Windows Vista (KB938371)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=695d7c32-252c-40e8-a15d-81029bec7d76&DisplayLang=en

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB938371)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46a4ed53-4000-4d0e-baff-eed79780f9ef&DisplayLang=en

Step 2: Clear up Windows Update temporary folder
    ================================
    1. Launch an elevated CMD window.
    2. Type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
    5. Click the Start Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
    6. In the opened folder,  Right-click on the folder "SoftwareDistribution", rename it to "SDold" (without the quotes).
    8. Still in elevated CMD window, run the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) i.

Step 3: Install KB938371 in Clean Boot mode
    ========================================
    1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Restart the computer and install downloaded KB938371 in Clean Boot.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:29 AM
  • Ok, did the above and it said "Update did not install".

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your feedback, troubleshooting this tough issue will be time-consuming.

The error 80073715 mostly can be caused by a local issue, and we have eliminated the third party software. At this time, let’s focus on the local system resource.

Suggestion 1: Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

===============================================

The System File Checker tool gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator".

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files. If prompted to insert the CD, click "Continue" each time it prompts.

Suggestion 2: Use CheckSUR Tool to repair system corruptions

==============================================

Note:  This tool only applies to Vista non SP1 system. If your system has been upgraded to Vista SP1, please ignore it.

1. Please download and run CheckSUR tool from the link below to your desktop, according to your System Type:

CheckSUR tool for Windows Vista 32-bit

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0/4/504c8468-9e77-4331-9327-1dba0b43ccd1/Windows6.0-KB947821-v2-x86.msu

CheckSUR tool for Windows Vista 64-bit

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/e/b/4eb4efa7-a893-4fb7-aac7-2db2003972d5/Windows6.0-KB947821-v2-x64.msu

2. Double click on the downloaded file to run the CheckSUR tool and restart the computer to check the results.

If the KB938371 still cannot be installed, please find the CBS log in WINDOWS\Logs\CBS folder and CheckSUR.log, then post the pertinent results from them.

In addition, we also can install Windows Vista SP1 directly to replace several system files to the latest version to troubleshoot this issue.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:16 AM
  •  

I ran "SFC /Scannow" and downloaded CheckSUR tool for Windows Vista 32-bit.

When I tried to run it said "The update does not apply to my system".

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:41 AM
  •  

Hi,

Please note this tool cannot be available on Windows Vista SP1.

If you didn’t install SP1, let’s take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Before we go any further, let's backup the registry key first.

1. Click "Start", type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Select "My Computer" (the root node) on the left pane, under the "File" menu, click "Export", under Export, choose "All Export" range, and select "Desktop" in the Save in box and type "backup" as the File Name. Click "Save".

Note: If any unexpected issue happens, we can restore the registry key simply by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

Input the following commands in the CMD window and press ENTER at the end of each line:

REG   ADD   HKLM\COMPONENTS   /V   STORECORRUPTTIMESTAMP   /T   REG_SZ   /D   "0"   /F

REG   DELETE    HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\CHECKSUR\

Install CheckSUR again.

If still fail, please only post the CBS log.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:45 AM