Windows Update won't load in Safe Mode w/Networking

Question

• While doing an update install of my Mobo graphics it failed.  Error code 80070020.  I went to MS Knowledge base and tried to follow a Vista link KB883825 that says to Boot in safe mode with networking Start>msconfig>safe boot with networking>services>hidemicrosoft>disable all>start menu>disable all>restart>windows update.........................

Nothing happens!

Anyone else had this problem?  Any cures?

Micrometeor
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:02 PM

All replies

• Why would you need to do that which infact you could boot into safe mode with networking once you reboot ur rig and at first sight of POST (power on self test) hit the F8 key a few time and that would lead you to safe mode option
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:29 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes, you can keep pressing F8 after POST so that you can go to Safe Mode. Meanwhile, if you are using Windows Vista, you can post the issue to Windows Vista forum via the following link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsvistaitpro

Thank you.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:56 AM
  • Daniel Ho & Sean Zhu,

Windows 7 RC ultimate x 64 build 7100 

I guess I'm not being clear.  I get to safe mode with Networking, I disable all services except Microsoft, I stop all startup items.  When I try to open Windows Update Nothing Happens!  I even tried manually disabling all the services except the Microsoft services as Windows Update was shown as stopped-but that was just a waste of time.

I'm only trying to follow the KBA for Vista as that is what shows up when I SEARCH for Error Code 80070020.  KB883825 [I know there are other ways to get there, I'm just trying to show the steps That I followed, THAT IS NOT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!]  

THE PROBLEM IS WINDOWS UPDATE DOES NOT OPEN IN SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

I just tried operating another site in I.E.8 with no problems. So the networking is operating.  I also tried Google {default browser} ok with networking.

Micrometeor
    • Edited by Micrometeor Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:04 PM update & clarification
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Thanks for the update. If Windows Update cannot be started in Safe Mode, you can also try Clean Boot and other methods listed in the KB article.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:18 AM
  • Thanks for the update. If Windows Update cannot be started in Safe Mode, you can also try Clean Boot and other methods listed in the KB article.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    If Windows Update won't work in Safe Mode with Networking with all the Antivirus disabled to enable an upgrade to be installed is this A problem with W7 RC or is it instead a problem with my system?  I've tried every method listed and it still wouldn't install.  So I gave up and turned everything back on.

A few days later it installed without all the #%$^&!  It seems to me that W7 is still in the RC stage, not RTM!  Too many little bugs!

Micrometeor
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 6:20 PM
  • I just have to ask, if you are not using Windows 7 RTM, how can you say it "is still in the RC stage, not RTM!  Too many little bugs"?
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:30 PM
  • I just have to ask, if you are not using Windows 7 RTM, how can you say it "is still in the RC stage, not RTM!  Too many little bugs"?
    I guess someone forgot to tell you.  W7 is RTM.  I'm downloading W7 Pro x64 RTM on my desktop as I type this.  I'm running W7 Ult RC x64 now but what I've seen running it on my primary PC for several months there are still lots of bugs that still need to be corrected.

Micrometeor

Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:25 PM
  • I would be interested in your comments after your install RTM.

BTW, I have been running RTM since it was made available.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 12:16 AM
  • Lead3,

W7 Pro RTM x64.  Try it yourself, Safe Mode With Networking, only windows services running; Windows update will NOT RUN! I will agree that a couple more of the bugs are gone like Sleep and Hibernate problems (at least so far); but this is one thing that hasn't been fixed, it would appear.

BTW, the networking does work, just not the Windows Update.

Micrometeor
    Monday, September 7, 2009 8:53 PM
  • You are right but I don't think Windows Update is suppose to work in safe mode. It did not work in Vista. See this article. It says that Windows update is a service that is disabled in safe mode

"3. Install the update in Safe Mode. Safe Mode disables most running processes and services. These services include the Windows Update service."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339
    Monday, September 7, 2009 9:58 PM
  • One of the original posts and I think the Vista KB said to "install in Safe Mode with networking then clicking Windows Update."
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:07 PM
  • If you go to Services, you will see that Windows update service is not started in safe mode. If you try to start it, it will generate an error that says this service is not able to run in safe mode. This was true of Vista as well.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:32 PM
  • If you go to Services, you will see that Windows update service is not started in safe mode. If you try to start it, it will generate an error that says this service is not able to run in safe mode. This was true of Vista as well.
    Lead3,
    You seem to be missing the point! I was merely stating that the KB article said to do this! 
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:01 PM
  • I don't think I am missing anything. The KB does not say to go to Windows Update as far as I can see. It says install the update. I believe this is for when you have already downloaded a stand alone copy of the update.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:36 PM
  • I don't think I am missing anything. The KB does not say to go to Windows Update as far as I can see. It says install the update. I believe this is for when you have already downloaded a stand alone copy of the update.
    I'm not going to debate the ridiculousness of your response.  I accurately quoted the KB article I followed.  No more!
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Well if you are so closed minded then all I can say is good luck.

BTW I suggest you reread the KB that you quoted.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 11:53 PM
  • So what's the reason why? I'm having the same problem.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:06 AM
  • So what's the reason why? I'm having the same problem.

Gmgarciam,

I guess no one at Microsoft wants to answer this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  At least those that speak English.

Micrometeor

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:02 PM
  • I love it when people don't bother to read the question, or supply answers just off the top of their head without testing them. Maybe that's what I'm doing too, but I'll give it a shot

If you wish to run Windows Update in Safe Mode under Windows XP Professional, then merge the following REG file. Note that if you don't have office you don't need to insert the ose key. Make sure none of these services are set to disabled.

========================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\BITS]
    @="Service"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer]
    @="Service"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\ose]
    @="Service"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\wuauserv]
    @="Service"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\BITS]
    @="Service"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MSIServer]
    @="Service"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\ose]
    @="Service"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\wuauserv]
    @="Service"

========================

Please note that this &*^*## Windows Live ID was created solely for responding to this message and will be abandoned, as will the associated email address, today. This user does not appreciate being forced to create yet another &*%&% email address just for the privilege of participating in this forum.

Friday, August 6, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Thanks so much for posting this.

My cohort's XP system would lock up in regular mode (due to a hung update, I thought) but boot up fine in safe mode. It only connects through wireless so I was lucky it connected in safe mode. Thanks to the registry mods, I was able to run and finish Windows update which fixed the 'hang 10'  (10 updates left :) problem.

Doug

Smartlab Software

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:04 PM
  • I have tried the exact same thing but with the standalone installer and have encountered an error, which states that this service may not be used in safe mode.
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:50 PM
  • OMG....why do you have to be such a "DUMBASS", abd7477? Ive had the exact same problem for 2 weeks......
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:16 AM
  • MS still has not fixed this issue. Running MS update does not work in safe mode using 64 bit VISTA. Could be MS is not supporting 64 bit VISTA any longer. Or they are doing it from India and communication is a problem. Have you ever tried talking to India Tech support? I don't think Microsoft will work this issue. They have bigger fish to fry. Like trying to figure out how they got so far behind Apple.

Friday, March 25, 2011 5:10 PM
  • I have this same problem in Win 7 x64
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:11 PM
  • I have this same problem in Win 7 x64

That was the OS of my Original Post August 15, 2009 although at the time it was still RC, not the Pro x64 I'm running now.... I've no idea if it is supported now.

Micrometeor

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:38 PM
  • It's so funny to see how some people can't seem to read! I'm sorry that you had to deal with such a dumbass micrometeor. I had an issue with Windows Update and the computer refuses to install 4 of the updates (while it installed on my laptop) and copying the error code to google search took me to this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Windows-Update-error-80071A90

see how it says safe mode with networking? STILL DOES NOT WORK! It's so annoying because I don't want to shut down my computer anymore. I will try the other option to see if that one works, but to see how this fails is.. *chuckle* funny

Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Same problem here ERRRRR. Same errors and tried the same adb7477 did. Hope someone finds an answer before my PC explodes due to the constint restart it does after each update attempt. then fails.
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 2:33 AM
  • I was having the same problem, which was really pissing me off and tried all of the MS recommended fixes to no avail as stated by most of you.  I finally decided to use the good old trial by elimination strategy, went into Windows Update and deselected all of the updates.

I then installed the two updates one at a time in the following order:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2488113) - installed/rebooted - Successful!

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932) - installed/rebooted - Successful!

I then selected/installed the remaining updates - all which were Successful!:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB982018)

Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2446710)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2492386)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2522422)

Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2515325)

It may be my imagination but Windows 7 seems to load noticeably faster now.

Hope this cures the frustration. ;^)

• Proposed as answer by Golgo-13 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Micrometeor Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:41 PM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:43 PM
  • I was having the same problem, which was really pissing me off and tried all of the MS recommended fixes to no avail as stated by most of you.  I finally decided to use the good old trial by elimination strategy, went into Windows Update and deselected all of the updates.

I then installed the two updates one at a time in the following order:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2488113) - installed/rebooted - Successful!

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932) - installed/rebooted - Successful!

I then selected/installed the remaining updates - all which were Successful!:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB982018)

Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2446710)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2492386)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2522422)

Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2515325)

It may be my imagination but Windows 7 seems to load noticeably faster now.

Hope this cures the frustration. ;^)

This may cure your problem, but it doesn't cure MS's INCORRECT KB ARTICLE!!

Micrometeor

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Golgo-13, thanks for the solution. I have the same OS and problem and your solution was clear and very helpful. It worked! Thanks for taking the time to post the solution.
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 12:26 AM
  • Zppyjohnny,

Glad my solution worked for you.

Kind regards.

Saturday, May 7, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Yes for vista error code 80070020 one solution is to msconfig, safemode & networking, then go to windows update a search for updates again...vista will not allow you to go to windows update from here...dont know why but yes it is ms kb solution. btw the other solution for this error does not fix the problem either.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:21 AM
    I'm not going to debate the ridiculousness of your response.  I accurately quoted the KB article I followed.  No more!

Actually Lead3 was right and thanks to him for that. I finally managed to install a troublesome update (Win 7 x64 SP1) in safe mode. Windows update doesn't run in safe mode that's true but http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339 Method 3.1 says "Download the update" then Method 3.2(a) says "Double-click the downloaded file to install it".

So you're not supposed to run Windows Update in safe mode to get the update, but rather download the update and install it directly.

I found my update using http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx using the IE browser. A download link will be in your "shopping basket" after you add your searched update to it.

Double clicked the download and it worked, no need to use Windows Update.

To be on the safe side, since I was getting the ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION(0x80070020) error, I then ran msconfig.exe in safe mode, disabled non-Microsoft services and all Startup items, then booted into Windows normal mode. All OK, then reboot to normal mode with Services and Startups enabled again.

Friday, July 1, 2011 6:30 PM
  • When I boot into Safe Mode in Win7 Ultimate, and attempt to run the downloaded update setup program, it says it is unable to install this update because the Windows Installer service is not running.

If I try to start the Windows Installer service, it says this service is not allowed to run in Safe Mode.

So, the MS KB article is recommending a solution which is impossible to implement (in Win7 Ultimate).

Monday, September 5, 2011 3:28 AM