none
bitlocker doesnt work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My bit locker is currently refusing to open. A year ago I my motherboard died which resulted me in getting a new computer. 

-I "cloned" my HDD to an NVME drive.
    -Everything works including the older drives that were encrypted. But this specific drive keeps showing " The bitlocker encryption is not compatible with your version of windows. Try opening the drive with a newer version of windows" It was fine "pre-clone"

-I forgot about this drive until I had to access some files.I have regular updates in the span of the year and the other drives work fine so I doubt the message is accurate.

Sunday, October 13, 2019 3:46 PM

All replies

• Suggestions:

Open Command Prompt as Admin:

Type the following command to unlock your BitLocker drive with 48-digit recovery key:
    manage-bde -unlock D: -RecoveryPassword YOUR-BITLOCKER-RECOVERY-KEY-HERE

If you can remember your BitLocker user password, type the following command. After pressing Enter, you’ll be prompted to enter the user password.
    manage-bde -unlock D: -Password

Next turn off BitLocker Encryption:
    manage-bde -off D:

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, October 14, 2019 1:00 AM
  • Hi,

As S.Sengupta says, you could try to use manage-bde command with BitLocker Recovery Key to unlock it.

And please confirm your Win10 version. I recommend you first check Windows update via Online and see if you can get the updates.

Also, we can change the SATA settings in BIOS, to Auto to see if it can work with you.

Here are some posts with the similar issue with yours, just for your reference, you can try the method mentioned in them:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bc0f627d-5966-4b09-ba6a-3bf2457a4f10/windows-10-1709-quotthe-bitlocker-encryption-on-this-drive-isnt-compatible-?forum=win10itprosecurity

Hope above information can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 2:30 AM
  • I don't think I still have my bit locker recovery key. I have a key but how do I know if it is for the drive. I do know the password for that drive.

What should I type? on cmd?

Monday, October 14, 2019 3:18 PM
  • Suggestions:

Open Command Prompt as Admin:

Type the following command to unlock your BitLocker drive with 48-digit recovery key:
    manage-bde -unlock D: -RecoveryPassword YOUR-BITLOCKER-RECOVERY-KEY-HERE

If you can remember your BitLocker user password, type the following command. After pressing Enter, you’ll be prompted to enter the user password.
    manage-bde -unlock D: -Password

Next turn off BitLocker Encryption:
    manage-bde -off D:

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

I don't think I still have my bit locker recovery key. I have a key but how do I know if it is for the drive. I do know the password for that drive.

So with this new info What should I type? on cmd? just:manage-bde -unlock D: -Password  ?

without entering the recovery key?

Also regarding unlock D. D refers to the Drive letter right?

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, D refers to the Drive and type the command  on CMD.

If you don't have the BitLocker recovery key, I think the method will be difficult.

Have you check the windows update?

If the issue still persists after getting all updates, check the SATA settings in BIOS, change to Auto to see if it can work with you:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-sata-hard-disk-mode-from-ide-to-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope above information can help you.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Farena

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:41 AM
  • Does this mean that I cant do the CMD method if I do not have my bit locker key? and I am stuck only with the SATA settings method?

yes my windows is up to date

Sunday, October 20, 2019 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

Yes.

Unlock your BitLocker drive needs the recovery key.

You may try the SATA settings method.

Monday, October 21, 2019 7:57 AM