none
Cannot access shares on my Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet (Win 10 Pro) from my Win 7 desktop (Win 7 Home Prem) RRS feed

• Question

• I can access shares via the net use command with no problems, but when I try to access via explorer I cannot access.  The error on the Win 10 tablet (from the Event Viewer) is "Unknown user name or bad password."  I can access my win 7 desktop shares from the tablet with no problems.  Net user username on the desktop shows Password Required to be NO.  On the tablet it is YES and I see no easy way to change.  The login for the tablet is local and I have a blank password, which I suspect is the problem.  

Password protected sharing is off.  Does not matter whether "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" is checked or not.  Note that it is checked on the win 7 desktop.  

If the blank pw is the problem, then I would think that setting the UAC Password Not Required to the proper value would solve that problem.  I just don't see any easy way to do that and I don't know how it got that way on the win 7 desktop.  The manipulation of the UAC attributes seems to be a server activity for admins using LDAP/Active Window.  

I could you some help here.

• Edited by wdmcmillen Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:15 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 9:01 PM

Answers

• No change.

Take a look at this registry key, on your Dell-Tablet, which may disable it (vlaue =0)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa on the right panel find limitblankpassworduse , double click on it and change the value to zero (0x00000000)
    Then restart your computer  and try to access your shared folder.

Momominta

• Marked as answer by wdmcmillen Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:04 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 7:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Would you please provide us with the screenshot of the error event? We can to do further analysis based on the error code and the detailed description.

Regards,

Zoe

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Well, this is most bizarre.  When I booted the 2 machines up this morning, I had access to the lenovo-tablet shares from my desktop.  Now this has not been working for months and nothing I tried helped, so something I did yesterday got it working, although I made no changes.  I only viewed settings.  

Now I also have this problem on a win 10 dell tablet that is configured identical to the lenovo tablet.  Here's the error generated on the desktop side (win 7).  I will get one of these 2 errors.  Note that I have no problems connecting to the shares via net use.  

Here's the Security Log error on the dell tablet side that is denying the logon.  

Settings for dell-tablet:

• dell-tablet is an auto local logon (logs on with no user input) with what is probably a blank pw
    • "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" is checked (note that logon is denied if this is unchecked
    • net user <username> shows "Password Required" YES
    • desktop and dell tablet are on workgroup HOME (no domain)
    • password protected sharing is turned off for all networks

Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:28 PM
  • Whether or not it should *really* be necessary I adopt the following policy to avoid file sharing headaches on any small home network involving Windows 10.

1. On each machine have at least one user account with a password (not blank).

2. Use Credential Manager on each machine to store a valid username and password for every other machine to which it requires file sharing access.

3. Set up sharing for each required drive and/or folder using Advanced sharing, remembering to set Permissions as necessary.

If (3) is troublesome because you have many folders to share and/or Windows tends to sometimes forget the settings it is easy to create a batch file using "net share" commands to automate sharing (or unsharing).

Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:01 PM
  • Momominta, in the win 7 desktop hosts file would "pc1" be the name of the pc?  e.g., dell-tablet? Normally the 2nd hosts parameter is a url.  

Also not sure what you mean by the NAS name.  NAS stands for Network Attached Storage.  Here the share is on the pc hard drive.  We refer to the share as \\dell-tablet\sharename

Friday, February 8, 2019 10:19 AM
  • Well it was worth a try.  Didn't work Momominta.  Still same problem. 

I suspect it's the blank password but then I couldn't connect to my Lenovo Thinkpad with exactly the same error (which I started the thread on) and is configured exactly like the dell, also with a blank password -- I can now connect to from the desktop.  I haven't got a clue what's going on and it works just fine using net use so I am able to connect to the share.  

I could do what misar1946 suggested above but that would require me to actually log on each time which I do not want to do.

Just trying to understand how the sharing works.  I wonder if I'd have the same problem if I were running Win 10.

Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:05 PM
  • Yes.  Always set up security with full access to Everyone.
    Sunday, February 10, 2019 2:51 PM
  • Momominta, are you wanting me to turn Password Protected Sharing on?  It is off on the Lenovo that is working.  In working with shares over the years I have always made sure it is off.
    Sunday, February 10, 2019 4:29 PM
  • No change.
    Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:09 PM
  • The suggestion I gave you previously was with Password Protected Sharing on

Assuming your computers can actually see each other*, the approach I described is the only way I have found which consistently avoids user, password, credential, etc issues when Windows 10 is involved. As I said it should not be necessary but on a small private LAN I prefer it to wasting hours messing around with network settings each time the inevitable inexplicable problem arises.

* I always leave network discovery on but that also needs another "unnecessary" workaround for a quiet life.

Sunday, February 10, 2019 8:51 PM
  • The suggestion I gave you previously was with Password Protected Sharing on

Assuming your computers can actually see each other*, the approach I described is the only way I have found which consistently avoids user, password, credential, etc issues when Windows 10 is involved. As I said it should not be necessary but on a small private LAN I prefer it to wasting hours messing around with network settings each time the inevitable inexplicable problem arises.

* I always leave network discovery on but that also needs another "unnecessary" workaround for a quiet life.

misar1946, I cannot argue with you.  I've wasted a lot of time just trying to avoid having to login.  Stubborn I guess.  I've only been using Win 10 for a short time since I bought the Dell tablet. Been using win 7 and earlier versions back to 3.0.  Don't remember having this much trouble with sharing under win 7, although networking and sharing have always been a challenge.  

"...inevitable inexplicable problem arises."   Well put and always true.  

Monday, February 11, 2019 1:06 AM
  • Thanks Momominta.  That allows access.  I have no explanation as to why I have access to shares on my lenovo-tablet which is set to on (1).  It was configured, as far as could tell, exactly the same as the dell-tablet.  This is what misar1946 calls "the inevitable inexplicable problem"
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:04 PM
  • misar,

For Win10 Home/Pro users  like me with a small home network, it is very convenient to run without passwords, as we have complete physical security.  However, as I just found to my chagrin, at least one password protected account is REQUIRED for successful file sharing or drive mapping.  

Other than misar1946's description above, I couldn't find this documented anywhere, and I looked a LOT!.

I think there is some sort of underlying assumption on the part of Windows 10 developers that "of course everyone has password protected accounts - why wouldn't they", so there's nothing in the documentation to treat situations like home networks.

Anyway, if you are having trouble getting Win10 boxes connected on your home network, it may well be that like me, you have dispensed with password protected accounts.  As soon as I password protected my primary accounts on both the PC's I was trying to connect - boom!  Everything started working.

One further note.  You may (or may not - I'm not sure) also have to start up the SMB1 and/or Function Discovery services to get everything working, but you should start by adding a password to the primary account on all PC's of interest (on my setup, I used the same username and password on both PCs I wanted to connect - but I'm not sure if that is entirely necessary)

Regards,

Frank

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 11:59 PM