none
Hyper-V very slow on my laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a laptop with windows 10 pro on it.

My specs are :

Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-8650U CPU @ 1.9ghz 2.11GHz
    16 GB ram installed
    500 gb ssd drive.

Installing hyper-v has no problems.
    When I try to create a vm (gen1 or gen2) I can't run it normal.

When I try to open the  settings of the vm the whole application is hanging.
    After a While the settings are showing (10 minutes later)

The settings in the bios are ok for virtulization, I have updated drivers and so on.

Please help me, I can't find the problem?

Thank you very much.

Monday, September 9, 2019 1:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

1.Where is the location of your VM's VHD? 500G SSD or other disk.

I suggest you contact hardware manufacturers and disk suppliers to confirm that their products are all right.

2. Make sure that the Win10 has already be installed the latest update.

3. Try to perform a clean boot to see if there are still the same problems.

For more information, you can see here:

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2018/01/29/windows-10-in-hyper-v-vm.aspx?m=1

Also can see here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/1bb04140-d110-4d42-bb47-29724e233fb6/slow-virtual-machines-in-hyper-v?forum=winserverhyperv

Hope this can help.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:10 AM
  • you are welcome :-)

The disks are located on the ssd.

What do you mean with: I suggest you contact hardware manufacturers and disk suppliers to confirm that their products are all right. what do I have to ask them?

I tried a clean boot but doesn't make sense.

I really can't find WHY hyper-v is getting so slow while clicking the settings of the vm.

If you have other solutions please let me know.

thanks for your information :-)

• Edited by flakkee Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:00 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:01 AM
  • >>What do you mean with: I suggest you contact hardware manufacturers and disk suppliers to confirm that their products are all right. what do I have to ask them?

What we need to do now is to eliminate the problem caused by disk failure, so please do a test for me to migrate the VHD of the virtual machine to another disk to see if there is the same problem.

Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 2:21 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

Friday, September 13, 2019 6:30 AM
  • I have a similar situation. 

New laptop i7-8650U CPU, M2 SSD. Clean Windows 10Pro install(3 days ago), new Virtual Machine(imported from MS images).

I noteced, that if I made External Switch (connected to  Wifi module Intel Wireless-AC 9560) then network speed dropping. Even for host system. And doesn't matter  VM is started or not.

If I switching this connection to internal, than speed is grouing up immediatly. But unfortunatly in that case i can't use network by VM.

And I found a lot of links with this problem but no one desision.

Friday, September 20, 2019 8:34 PM
  • @Dmytro you problem sounds different: you only have problems with network speed, while flakke can not even open the settings of a VM.
    So you should probably create a new thread.
    You updated your Wifi driver?
    Saturday, September 21, 2019 10:52 AM
  • @Dmytro you problem sounds different: you only have problems with network speed, while flakke can not even open the settings of a VM.
    So you should probably create a new thread.
    You updated your Wifi driver?
    thanks, I've found another threads with my problem. I already downloaded latest driver, but it didn't help for me. So I trying to get solution from any source))
    Sunday, September 22, 2019 12:10 PM