Help with encrypted and locked drive !!!!? RRS feed

• Question

• i use bitlocker to lock one of my drive (lets say its A)
    so when i lock drive A, bitlocker asked me to encrypt all of my files etc, so i encrypted the drive, and it takes a long time to complete the encryption, while the encryption file reach 10% suddenly my laptop is not responding, i waited for 1 hours and no progress so i decided to turn off the computer (forced turn off) then turned on again the computer.... the encryption file is not completed and the computer is not responding in the process, and now after that my drive is locked with bitlocker.... will i be able to open my drive A?? i already tried some times and the bitlocker keep not responding if i want to unlock my drive A, i dont have a backup file for my drive A, can i open the drive somehow?? its an external hardisk..... its contain my important files... please??
    my driver that got partially encrypted is a transcend 500GB, storejet 18m/25m type
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:23 AM

All replies

• Hi, you can try using command line to decrypt the disk.

1. Open an elevated command prompt.
    2. Change to %WINDIR%\System32 .
    3. Use the following command to check the status.

Cscript C:\windows\system32\manage-bde.wsf –status

4. Then, you can use the following command:

Cscript C:\windows\system32\manage-bde.wsf –off X:   (where X refer to the partition, you want to decrypt.)

Then, let's see the result.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Hi, you can try using command line to decrypt the disk.

1. Open an elevated command prompt.
    2. Change to %WINDIR%\System32 .
    3. Use the following command to check the status.

Cscript C:\windows\system32\manage-bde.wsf –off X:    (where X refer to the partition, you want to decrypt.)

Then, let's see the result.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
      pardon me but i am a total noobs in this kind of situation and still learning (slowly because i am a dummy) so could you please give me a detailed and example for this method?
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Hi terra_mother-earth, let's try follow the steps below:

1. Click Start, type "cmd" in "Search programs and files".
    2. Right click on "cmd.exe" icon and choose "Run as Administrator".
    3. Type the following command to check the status in command prompt window.

Cscript C:\windows\system32\manage-bde.wsf –off X:    (where X refer to the partition, you want to decrypt.)

If you encounter any problem during the procedure, please let me know.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Hi terra_mother-earth, let's try follow the steps below:

1. Click Start, type "cmd" in "Search programs and files".
    2. Right click on "cmd.exe" icon and choose "Run as Administrator".
    3. Type the following command to check the status in command prompt window.

Cscript C:\windows\system32\manage-bde.wsf –off X:     (where X refer to the partition, you want to decrypt.)

If you encounter any problem during the procedure, please let me know.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    i am trully sorry but evrytime i tried to do that, the prompt always said

WARNING : The script manage-bde.wsf is not supported. Please use manage-bde.exe.

ERROR : The operation cannot be performed because the volume is locked

what should i do?? everytime i want to enter the password to unlock my driver, it always not responding
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Hi, I suggest you check the following KB article and try the solutions:

How to use the BitLocker Repair Tool to help recover data from an encrypted volume in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928201

Note: though it is for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, we can still use the steps under Windows 7.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:06 AM
  • Hi, I suggest you check the following KB article and try the solutions:

How to use the BitLocker Repair Tool to help recover data from an encrypted volume in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008

Note: though it is for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, we can still use the steps under Windows 7.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT

How to prepare the hard disk for BitLocker Drive Encryption

<script type="text/javascript"> loadTOCNode(2, 'moreinformation'); </script> To encrypt drives and to verify boot integrity, BitLocker requires at least two partitions. These two partitions make up a split-load configuration. A split-load configuration separates the main operating system partition from the active system partition from which the computer starts.

The BitLocker Drive Preparation Tool automates the following processes to make the computer ready for BitLocker:
    • Creating the second volume that BitLocker requires
    • Migrating the boot files to the new volume
    • Making the volume an active volume
    When the tool finishes, you must restart the computer to change the system volume to the newly created volume. After you restart the computer, the drive will be configured correctly for BitLocker. You may also have to initialize the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) before you turn BitLocker on.

Q :
    1. what does it means by creating the second volume that bitlocker requires?? how to get that second volume?
    2. how to migrate boot files to the NEW VOLUME (A)??
    3. how to make the volume an active volume?? is the volume that will be MADE an active volume the same with the NEW VOLUME (A) which is used for the final destination of the boot files that will be migrated??
    4. what is Trusted Platform Module and how to initialize that application?

System requirements

<script type="text/javascript"> loadTOCNode(2, 'moreinformation'); </script> To create a new partition or to merge unallocated space with an existing partition, the target system must meet the following requirements:
    • A genuine version of Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1, Windows Vista Enterprise Service Pack 1, or Windows Server 2008 must be installed.
    • The active partition must contain boot configuration data and boot files.
    • The target partition must meet the following requirements:
      • The partition must be on a simple disk that is initialized for basic storage.
      • The partition must be a primary partition. Extended drives and logical drives are not supported.
      • The partition must be formatted by using the NTFS file system.
      • The partition must not be compressed.
      • The cluster size of the partition must be less than 4 KB or equal to 4 KB.
      • The partition is not using software spanning, software mirroring, or software RAID. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
        314343   (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343/ ) Basic storage versus dynamic storage in Windows XP
    Q :
    1.  where to get that active partition, and where to get the boot configuration data and boot files?
    2. what does it mean by "The partition must be on a simple disk that is initialized for basic storage." ??
    3. The partition must be a primary partition. Extended drives and logical drives are not supported. <<<<< with this statement, does it mean that i cant use external harddisk to be the partition ? and what will happen to this partition that the system asked to fulfill? is it going to be a place to store that boot configuration data and boot files??
    4. how to check cluster size of a driver / partition??
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:21 AM
  • Hi, are you talking about KB933246 which is mainly for BitLocker Drive Preparation Tool? I suggest you check the following KB928201 and use BitLocker Repair Tool:

Note: The BitLocker Repair Tool is included by default in Windows 7, and it does not need to be downloaded separately. You can go directly to step 4 in the article and see if you can use the tool to decrypt the data.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:55 AM
  • You cannot vote on your own post
    and i dont know why but it seems that i dont have the

BitLocker Repair Tool files

or maybe i dont know how to search for the bitlocker repair tool....
    i search in my system drive and no files with that name i think.... and also, everytime i tried to download the bitlocker repair tool it always said that windows update for bitlocker repair tool is not applicable for my computer
    Hi, are you talking about KB933246 which is mainly for BitLocker Drive Preparation Tool? I suggest you check the following KB928201 and use BitLocker Repair Tool:

Note: The BitLocker Repair Tool is included by default in Windows 7, and it does not need to be downloaded separately. You can go directly to step 4 in the article and see if you can use the tool to decrypt the data.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT

i see, but somehow i did not get the windows 7 CD... how come??
    You cannot vote on your own post
    and i dont know why but it seems that i dont have the

BitLocker Repair Tool files

or maybe i dont know how to search for the bitlocker repair tool....
    i search in my system drive and no files with that name i think.... and also, everytime i tried to download the bitlocker repair tool it always said that windows update for bitlocker repair tool is not applicable for my computer
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:48 AM