none
Wierd Volume Shadow Copy Service errors

Question

• Hi,

We have a problem, please help.

vssadmin list writers

shows:

Error: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error.
    Check the Application event log for more information.

vssadmin list providers

shows:

Error: Unexpected failure: Class not registered

In the Event Log we see 2 events:

Event #1:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        VSS
    Date:          8/8/2011 2:04:46 PM
    Event ID:      22
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      HV1
    Description:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name Coordinator is [0x80040154, Class not registered
    ].

Event #2:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        VSS
    Date:          8/8/2011 2:03:28 PM
    Event ID:      8193
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      HV1
    Description:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered

Operation:
       Instantiating VSS server

Thank you!

Monday, August 08, 2011 7:08 PM

All replies

• The event can be cause when you try to run some 3rd party backup tool or for example 32bit 3rd party tool. When those errors occurs? completely random or when you are trying to perform some operation?

With kind regards
    Krystian Zieja
    http://www.projectenvision.com
    Follow me on twitter
    My Blog
    Need help with your systems?
    Monday, August 08, 2011 7:27 PM
  • As I said, even simple standard Windows commands like:

c:\>vssadmin list writers

or

c:\>vssadmin list providers

cause that.

No need to run 3rd party software to see those errors :)

Monday, August 08, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Can you re-register VSS binaries?

Do the following

Cd windows\system32

Net stop vss

Net stop swprv

regsvr32 ole32.dll

regsvr32 vss_ps.dll

Vssvc /Register

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll

regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll

regsvr32 es.dll

regsvr32 stdprov.dll

regsvr32 vssui.dll

regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

After re-registring try if vssadmin works now?

Regards

Satish

• Proposed as answer by RTTAdmin Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:33 PM
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Thank you, Satish, but your commands show 3 error messages:

The module "swprv.dll" was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715

The module "eventcls.dll" was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715

The module "es.dll" was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Still no luck. Any suggestions, guys?
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Are you trying these commands from c:\windows\system32?

Can you try

regsvr32 /u swprv.dll

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll

Do let me know if it doesn't resolve the issue

Regards

Satish

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:17 AM
  • regsvr32 /u swprv.dll

DllUnregisterServer in swprv.dll succeeded.

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll

The module "swprv.dll" was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715

The same thing...

Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Test following steps:

1. Stop the Following services:

Volume Shadow Copy Service.
    MS Software Shadow Copy Provider -- keep it stopped
    "COM+ event system"
    "COM+ System Application"

2. Take the backup of the "Subscriptions" key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\EventSystem\{26c409cc-ae86-11d1-b616-00805fc79216}\Subscriptions

3. Delete the "Subscriptions" key

4. Restart/Start the following services

"COM+ event system"
    "COM+ System Application"
    "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"
    "Volume Shadow Copy"

5. Reboot the machine.

Run the command "VSSadmin List Writers" from the command prompt to check the result.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by Lmmlopes Friday, October 09, 2015 9:24 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Thank you, Shaon, but there is no Subscriptions key. There is only EventClasses key. Should I create an empty key named Subscriptions?
    • Proposed as answer by Porsh Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Porsh Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:23 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 10:37 AM
  • Any ideas?
    Friday, September 02, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem that is discussed above and I tried the above steps including deleting subscriptions key. Nothing worked.

when I did the above steps the result is as below.

>VSSadmin List Writers
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Error: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error.
    Check the Application event log for more information.

Please let me know the next step

Thanks,

Porselvan

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:26 AM
  • Wish to chime in with same problem as Soft-Dev.  No subscription key but do have Eventlog key.  Same error as Porsh above.  Still looking for an answer.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Any resolution here? I'm having the same issue on a fresh install of WHS 2011
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 1:21 PM
  • I was finally able to solve my VSS issue with the assistance of others.  I also was able to remove and recreate the cause several times to verify the solution.  Refer to the following thread as it may be of help.  Also be sure to read all of the posts relative to my problem and resolution.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/5587519b-6a84-45b0-9948-36f4f3416379/?prof=required]

• Proposed as answer by UNS Support Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by UNS Support Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:56 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 7:13 PM
  • I was finally able to solve my VSS issue with the assistance of others.  I also was able to remove and recreate the cause several times to verify the solution.  Refer to the following thread as it may be of help.  Also be sure to read all of the posts relative to my problem and resolution.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/5587519b-6a84-45b0-9948-36f4f3416379/?prof=required]

I have looked through this thread and can't identify exactly what you did to solve your problem. I have exactly the same problem. Can you summarize here?

Thanks,

David

David J. Bookbinder

Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:41 PM
  • David,

Have you looked at my entry of November 18, 2011 that includes a detailed list of steps I took to finally find my solution?  I put the offending key back in to verify the problem returned and then performed the same test on my original drive and in each case this worked for me.  I suspect you are experiencing a similar conflicting key.

Gary

Sunday, April 29, 2012 5:10 PM
  • I did try removing the COM3 key, and all that happened was that I got a lot of VSS errors in the log. Re-imported it and was back where I was. I now see that although you responded to the OP, your problem was different. In my case System Restore works fine, but VSSADMIN and the Volume Shadow Copy service don't work.

David J. Bookbinder

Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Were you ever able to solve this problem? I have what appear to be identical issues and am blocked from backing up my system drive because of them.

Thanks!

David

David J. Bookbinder

Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:40 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this problem? If so, what was it? I have the same issue and have logged a lot of hours trying to resolve it, with no success.

David J. Bookbinder

Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:41 PM
  • David,

The original thread that I participated in months ago contains the steps I took to narrow down my problem.  Once I did as noted, the restore, backup and VSS issues went away.  Apparently, a number of backup or encryption applications are not wholly compatible with the VSS service.  In my case, once the problematic key was removed, I was able to perform backups, system restores, etc.  All of these functions appeared to work properly and still do.  To test my problem, I reinserted the problem key and my problems returned.  The original hard drive, which was smaller, and from which I had cloned the current drive, was reinserted in the system and it demonstrated exactly the same behavior.  With the problem key removed, VSS issues went away and it also worked properly.  I know this is not a solution for all VSS issues, but is an indicator of what contributed to my problem.  Do you have any Norton, PGP or encryption applications on your system?  My problems seemed to originate when Symantec released its first updated version of the PGP encryption software subsequent to its purchase of PGP.  The upgrade installation failed and seemingly corrupted my drive.  After I removed the PGP from my system, the drive functionality returned and I ended up with stray Symantec keys that may have also been a factor.  I discounted that for the most part as my original hard drive resolved by just removing the one key as previously reported.  I'm sorry but I don't have much else to suggest.  And you are correct, this took numerous hours to pin down as I found very little helpful online information as I worked to a solution.

Gary

Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Using a tool called Tweaking.com Windows Repair, I was able to restore VSSADMIN functionality. However, VSS still fails to work with Event Log errors 8193 and 12293 and the Retrospect backups fail with error -1017 ( insufficient permissions).

Ideas, anyone?    

David J. Bookbinder

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 1:32 AM
  • In case anyone else has this problem and finds this thread, I was apparently able to solve the shadow copy / bitlocker parts of the problem by using mountvol /r to remove old mount volume data and mountvol /e to enable automatic mounting of new volumes. I don't know why this worked, but it appears to have eliminated the bitlocker errors, which in turn appears to have eliminated the VSS errors when I try to do an open file backup with Retrospect. Still not positive all is as it should be, but so far so good -- I did do a normal backup of my system volume.

David J. Bookbinder

• Proposed as answer by dbookbinder Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:48 PM
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 5:46 PM
  • This worked for me on 2008 R2 to resolve a free space computation VSS failure i've been banging my head against a wall on for two days.

Many thanks!

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:39 AM
  • WOAH -

Why did you tell him to do this knowing he is using windows 2008 R2? These commands are from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184

In which it clearly states:

"Important
     This article is not for use with Windows Vista, with Windows  Server 2008, or with later Windows operating systems.
     Starting with Windows Vista and with Windows Server 2008, Windows component installation is manifest-based.
     Trying to manually register specific components, as described in the following steps,
     can have unexpected results that may require you to reinstall Windows to resolve."

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Just to follow up on this issue, apparently the mountvol /r and mountvol /e commands fixed my particular problem, which appears to have been Bitlocker-and-nonexistent-volume related. I've done several full backups in the past month with no problems.

Best,

David

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:48 PM
  • This worked for me, once going thru each of them, kicked off the backup and it ran without any VSS issues or errors
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:34 PM
  • Please check the following services:

Service (starttype: manual): "Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider"  (in my case this service was deactivated and produced the error above) 
    Service (starttype: manual): "Volume Shadow Copy"
    Service (starttype: manual): "Windows-Backup” 
    Service  (starttype: auto): "Remoteprocedurecall (RPC)"

Saturday, December 01, 2012 1:53 PM
  • In Windows 7 it is irrelevant that your user account is a local admin or not.

Run "vssadmin list writers" from an elevated command prompt.

Right click "Command Prompt" select "Run as Administrator".

Friday, January 04, 2013 5:25 PM
  • Reregistering files was a common way to fix VSS issues back in Windows 2003.  However, due to the changes in Windows 2008 and 2008R2 servicing, reregistering files will either not work or actually damage Windows.

Please discontinue using regsvr32.

Robert Mitchell Senior Support Escalation Engineer Microsoft Corp.

Monday, January 07, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Robert -

What CAN we do???  I have a server that is 5 hours away by plane, that suddenly decided not create snapshots.  There has to be some sort of remediation process.  The onset of this problem was sudden and without a cause that I can identify.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:49 PM
  • I too am in this same position, the error occurred randomly and we are no longer able to use DPM to get backups on a critical server that has very small maintenance windows. This is running on server 2012 but after the warnings of not using regsrv32 there are not many more steps to resolve this. maybe a backup solution that doesn't use VSS is the only resolution at this point.
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:52 PM
  • You rock. I've had this problem for months. All started with my Home Server auto backups failing on my Windows 7 x64 machine. Uninstalled the Home Server Connector software and then still wasn't even getting restore points which I never notices for a few months. Removing that COM3 Key worked. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
    Saturday, January 04, 2014 11:40 PM
  • Take a backup of the Registry ,

search and delete the problematic key {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} in registry . it should found under HLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\VSS\Providers\{e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623}

Monday, October 06, 2014 2:26 PM
  • So this has been out there for quite awhile. I just cam across the answer that works for us.  We had converted a couple of VMs from HyperV to VMWare.  However, that process left the HyperV snapshot provider in place and our backup software was attempting to use that to create snaps.  Like T Bahu, we found the problematic provider entry from the windows application log and deleted it from HLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\VSS\Providers.  In our case it was {3e02620c-e180-44f3-b154-2473646e4cb8}.
    • Proposed as answer by fastBONE Tuesday, March 03, 2015 9:10 PM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 3:02 PM