none
Exchange 2016 - Disable Outlook Anywhere RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my environment, we do not allow user to connect email externally, accessing email must be through VPN connection.

In exchange 2016, outlook anywhere is enabled by default, how can i disable it?

For OWA accessing via externally, i have restricted it via IIS with internal IP added.

If i disable outlook anywhere, what is the impact? can we still receive mobile email?

IF there's no impact, how can i disable outlook anywhere in exchange 2016?

thanks!

Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:05 AM

Answers

• >>In exchange 2016, outlook anywhere is enabled by default, how can i disable it?

If you want to disable external Outlook Anywhere for all users, you can just cancel publish Outlook Anywhere to internet. You could refer to the link provided by Udara.

>>If i disable outlook anywhere, what is the impact? can we still receive mobile email?

In Exchange 2016, MAPI over HTTP is the default protocol. If you are using previous versions of Outlook client such as Outlook 2007/2010, it will use outlook anywhere. In this case, the connection may be affected.

Otherwise, there should be no effect if you disable outlook anywhere.

Mobile device use EAS protocol to sync emails so it should not be affected too.

>>How about restricting IP in IIS for RPC? is this recommended?

I found this article about how to restrict a web site access to some IP addresses in IIS. You may check if it’s helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:17 AM

All replies