none
Vertical taskbar issues

General discussion

• I have been putting the taskbar to the left side of my primary screen and there have been issues since XP.

1. I have the program icons shown on the first column and the Quick Launch toolbar shown on the second column (so the Quick Launch buttons are shown on the right edget of the taskbar). When moving the mouse over an opened program icon, the preview thumbnail is shown under the taskbar. That means a section of the preview is hidden by the taskbar.
    2. I have "Auto-hide the taskbar" turned on, sometimes the taskbar is shown under the application, this is easily seen because the title bar is transparent and the taskbar is visible under the maximized application. I have to press the Windows key to make it show above the applications.
    3. If the taskbar is moved from the left side to the bottom and back to the left side, the buttons in a toolbar such as the Quick Launch toolbar have their insets changed, they have a higher top and bottom insets.
    4. With Windows 7, after doing problem 3, the system tray icons are truncated, the actual icons are painted lower than the buttons.
    5. Some of the buttons in the sys tray are not displayed correctly, I created a shortcut for the Task Manager in the Start folder, the task manager icon is never shown and is always hidden. The option seems to always revert to "Only show notifications", if I change it back to "Show Icon and notifications", I then see two icons for the Task Manager.
    6. After Windows started, the volume and network icons are not always shown even if the option is set to "Show icon and notifications".
    7. It seems the visibility of the icons in the sys tray is not working well, when changing the status of an icon in the "Notification Area Icons" dialog changes the status of other icons.
    8. The sys tray icons used to be left aligned in XP/Vista, in Windows 7 they are right aligned and that looks odd.

Regards.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:56 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your comment.

I will forward it to our feedback team.

Thanks again.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:16 AM
  •  one other thing should be fixed is align icons to bottom when using vertical position, instead of top align.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:27 AM
  • I would like to see the taskbar vertical, but the position of icons reversed. ie. Start to stay at BOTTOM and date/time to be at top.

G.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 1:39 AM
  • I would like to see the taskbar vertical, but the position of icons reversed. ie. Start to stay at BOTTOM and date/time to be at top.

G.
    I would like to see this too. Since the taskbar doesn't contain text labels anymore, the left and right screen positions are much more attractive now.

Also, there is a small glitch on the 7100 build (x64) with the tray bay when the taskbar is on a vertical position: the botton right place for a icon stays empty with an odd number of icons. I've uploaded a screenshot showing it, look at the botton, right above the clock:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9186/49654963.jpg
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:08 AM
  • Another problem:

if I pull the vertical taskbar to the right to make it wider and then pull it back to the left, the background of the taskbar remains wide while the taskbar itself shrinks. All the applications are under this "ghost" taskbar.
    Here is the printscreen: http://rapidshare.com/files/269899562/pic2.jpg.html
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:15 PM
  • I've got another problem with vertical taskbar (on the right side).

Steps to see the bug:

1. Move the taskbar to the right side, turn on auto-hide.
    2. Change its width (useful if there are many similar opened windows with different names, e.g. of IM).
    3. Change theme from Aero to simple or run any fullscreen program (e.g. game).

Then you'll see - the taskbar changed its width to default (even if it was 'locked'). You'll have to change it back. Until the next fullscreen program :-)

This problem is actual for all builds since 7.100 (not actual for 7.000).
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:37 PM

G.
    I would like to see this too. Since the taskbar doesn't contain text labels anymore, the left and right screen positions are much more attractive now.

I wouldn't... I'd rather have it customizable instead.

Also:

--> display the Quick Launch in the customization options: it was cluncky to find out how to get them back !!!

--> make it stay locked when I select its width: it keeps changing when computer wakes up, hybernate, etc.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Me too. Start at the bottom would be handier for me. Customizable would be fine.
    Friday, May 18, 2012 7:36 PM