none
Windows 10 "Error 0x80070522: A required privilege is not held by the client." for a storage drive with all the privileges. RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows 10 freshly and I think that after changing my drive letters back to their earlier order my H drive started acting weirdly. I "didn't have permission" to write in its root and when I checked the ownership of the drive it was something S-1-5-21-, and the permissions were different from other drives' and I changed the ownership to "SYSTEM" and altered the permissions back like the other drives had, which is how they all have been and working. After that the error message changed to the "Error 0x80070522: A required privilege is not held by the client." and "unknown reason". This remains on that particular drive/HDD after reinstalling the Windows 10 on a formatted C drive, basically acting like C drive and Windows denying me the right to write there.

I thought these permissions and whatever were handled by Windows, so I don't understand why reinstalling it doesn't fix the issue. I just want to know if the HDD is going bad, but I don't believe that is the case here because strangely enough I can use the drive normally with the hidden administrator account. My own account is an administrator account with all the rights and ownership and UAC is turned off.

So in a nutshell the H drive is acting like the system C drive with that you can't write in the root of it except with the hidden administrator account and the issue doesn't go away with reinstalling Windows. Writing in folders works well. I haven't formatted the H drive yet because it has almost 1 TB of stuff and I'd like to think there is some other way to resolve this issue.

Where are these things located if not with the Windows on C drive? Is the HDD telling the Windows that I don't have privileges to write on it? Why is it working with the hidden administrator account then and why is the HDD different from others? I am not very tech savvy but I like to think I am not an idiot.

Edit: Default folder view settings won't apply to the drive H either, others use nicely the settings I have put but this one doesn't comply.
    Thank you for your time,
    Rich
    • Edited by RichmondJ Tuesday, October 4, 2016 8:16 PM Added the folder view setting thing
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:59 PM

Answers