none
Cannot connect to network printer win 7 to xp machine error 0x00004005

Question

• I have 2 windows 7 machines - the first one added to the network can add all of the network printers available.  The 2nd, can not add ANY of the network printers that are connected to an XP machine.

I'm attempting to connect to Oki Microline 320 Turbo printers - it's ancient and as basic as they come.  I know it's possible, because it works on one of the win 7 machines.

I can map the printer at a command promt using the net use lpt1: \\computer\printer and then test with dir >lpt1.

I can browse the network and see both the computers and the printers, but I just cannot attach to them.  It says it can't find the .inf file for the driver.  I've pointed it to the c:\windows\inf directory - where it says it can't find the driver.  I've even mapped the c drive on the xp machine and pointed the win 7 machine to the c:\windows\inf file on the xp machine.  It loads a driver, but then errors out that it can't connect to the printer.

I am able to connect and print to the printer on the other win 7 machine.

I have added one as a port - but I have a software package that specifically looks for \\computername\printer - so the port option is not an option.

I've checked the print spooler - it's starting automatically.  I've changed the local security policy; security settings; local policies; security options; network security LAN manager authentication level to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session secruity if negotiated.

Please help!

Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:10 PM

All replies

• im having the same problem with hp laserjet 1020 printer..
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:49 PM
  • i am too :(
    Monday, January 04, 2010 6:13 AM
  • any solutions??  Same problem here too...
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Same here except my printers are on a server 2003 print server and I'm trying to connect to them from a W7U 64bit machine.

When I try to connect to any of the discovered printers I get:

"No driver found -- windows can't find a driver for HP Laserjet P2015 series pcl 6 on the network. To locate one manually, click OK, Otherwise, click Cancel and consult your network administrator or the printers manufacturer's website."

At this point if I click cancel I get:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer"

more details:

"Operation failed with error 0x00004005"

If I click OK and go to my network folder containing the drivers for that printer I get:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer"

more details:

"Operation failed with error 0x00000214"

I also try "The printer that I want isn't listed" link and then through the directory but without success. I even try going directly to the print server but still with the same error messages.

evan D
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:42 PM
  • I am also getting the error: "Operation failed with error 0x00004005"

I have a Lenovo Y500P with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (7-64).

I have a strange work around where I vnc into an XP computer with the printer driver installed then vnc back (loop) to the 7-64 box. This gives me the printer for as long as the XP box is vnc'd into the 7-64 box. I am using RealVNC enterprise to do this. I am not sure if this is a function of vnc in general or just for RealVNC.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:16 PM
  • I'm having this as well.  Did anyone find an answer?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:03 PM
  • I am having the same problem trying to connect the the hp laserjet 2605 dn and konica minolta bizhub c200.  Need help quick.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:51 PM
  • I found the answer here:-

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/bd43f9f6-e231-484f-a3b8-e06afeee7c7e

This post says:-

The 32bit driver name is different than the 64bit driver name.  You will need to create a Local Port which will basically copy the print formated data to the xpmachine share.

Here's the KB how to perform this task
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282842

on Windows 7
    Add Printer
    Local Printer
    Add Local Port
    \\XPMACHINE\printersharename    (Make the share name one word or you have to "" quote the whole thing)

Select the driver installed when you connected the device to USB

complete the wizard

print test page.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:15 PM
  • I can't connect to a printer that installed in windows xp. i use win7 home edition 64 bit system operation.
    when i want to connect to the printer,
     NO DRIVER FOUND "
     it says windows can't find a driver for Xeror DC 400/350/250 PCL 6 on the network. to locate one manually, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and consult your network administrator or the printer manufacturer's website."

BUT when the other computer that use wind 7 home edition 32 bit, it doesn't have problem.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:47 AM
  • Thank you so much after spending the whole day trying to sort out this problem I just followed the steps in your posting and I now have a link to my network computer. 

I dont know how we would get on without sites like these to help us with our problems!

Sunday, March 28, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Since adding a new Compaq computer with Win 7 to my network, no Win XP users can print on an HP3030 printer. Have 10 hours trying to solve the problem, no luck.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Just a quick point of clarification.  You can use the IP Address as the name of the networked computer. This technique helps with some name resolution issues if for example you can't find the sharename or get an error connecting, BUT can make it more complicated if you are using DHCP for your machines.  You may have to go into you router/wireless/hub setup and designate an address to that networked machine with the printer on it so the IP address doesn't change on you when it renews it at some interval.  If you don't know how to do this, check your router/wireless/hub for how to add a static IP address to a machine (its usually very easy to do)

Also, when Selecting "Create a new port" in the 'Type of Port' dropdown menu... be sure to add a 'Local Port' and not a 'Standard TCP/IP Port' when using the IP Address even though you are using an IP address, you want to set it up as a Local Port.  The format will look something like this:

Enter a port name:

\\192.168.10.198\Printer1

As the previous post suggests, it is a good idea to make the printer name have no spaces - this makes connecting a lot easier.  You change the name in the Printer's Properties, under the 'Sharing' Tab (not just by changing the name of the printer icon in the Printer Folder)

hope this helps.. happy printering!

Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:29 PM
  • -----------------

SORRY.. I replied to the wrong post.. I apologize if my above post doesnt make sense - it is directly related to this post above..

-----------------

Just a quick point of clarification.  You can use the IP Address as the name of the networked computer. This technique helps with some name resolution issues if for example you can't find the sharename or get an error connecting, BUT can make it more complicated if you are using DHCP for your machines.  You may have to go into you router/wireless/hub setup and designate an address to that networked machine with the printer on it so the IP address doesn't change on you when it renews it at some interval.  If you don't know how to do this, check your router/wireless/hub for how to add a static IP address to a machine (its usually very easy to do)

Also, when Selecting "Create a new port" in the 'Type of Port' dropdown menu... be sure to add a 'Local Port' and not a 'Standard TCP/IP Port' when using the IP Address even though you are using an IP address, you want to set it up as a Local Port.  The format will look something like this:

Enter a port name:

\\192.168.10.198\Printer1

As the previous post suggests, it is a good idea to make the printer name have no spaces - this makes connecting a lot easier.  You change the name in the Printer's Properties, under the 'Sharing' Tab (not just by changing the name of the printer icon in the Printer Folder)

hope this helps.. happy printering!

Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:31 PM
  • SORRY.. this is a reply to post lower down on the thread.. please see it re-entered below (where is will make more sense)

Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:31 PM
  • Hi saurabhg88,

HP 1020 driver, upload the latest software you can get rid of this problem.

Easy come

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:45 AM
  • Wow!!! That saved me after only trying for two hours!

thanks!

Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Jason Brown - CapabilitySoftware you are absolutely brilliant person, you are just Genius... You made my day and solved my problem. Thank you so much. Your steps helped me to solve the problem.

Thanks

Sanj

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 10:18 AM
  • Wow - Jason, have you made my day easier.  Perfect solution to a vexing problem!
    Friday, August 10, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Just seen this string and followed Jason's solution. Perfect

Have had a number of hours trying to solve this and this simple work around has done the job

Cheers

Paul

Monday, November 05, 2012 10:40 AM