none
My nas devices and other computers are not showing in Windows 7 File Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason Windows Explorer is only my NAS devices and other computers as Media devices. Previously it showed all of the devices under "Computers".  It bad enough that Explorer claims the one NAS has nothing but empty folders when in fact it's holding almost a terabyte of data, but to completely "delete" all units from being seen? What gives?

Für Elise - Support the Heart & Breast Cancer Foundations.

Friday, April 19, 2019 8:08 PM

Answers

• Solved the problem with a solution so simple I'm surprised no one thought of it.

Network Connections>Wireless Network Connection> Internet Protocol Version 4 > Properties > Advanced > Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

The devices will not work under the default setting - Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server. If static IP address is used or the DHCP server does not provide NetBIOS setting, use Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Friday, July 5, 2019 11:27 PM

All replies

• Update: Win10 box can see the NAS devices but say all the folders are empty. Ran nbtstat -a for each NAS and PC and the NetBIOS shows the names of all of them but the command also says "Host not found". Ran NetBScanner from the Win10 and only it was found. I wonder if the router has crapped out. Again.

• Edited by LilBro Monday, April 22, 2019 12:37 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 12:21 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest you map these devices as network drives.

Please refer to the link below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Azure/en-US/9e110b4c-93d9-41b3-a694-d70df0fb880c/nas-shows-up-as-media-device?forum=w7itprovirt  

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 22, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Update: Error message -

---------------------------
    Services
    ---------------------------
    Windows could not start the Computer Browser service on Local Computer.
    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Computer Browser Properties set to Automatic Startup.

Dependency Services - Workstation

Browser Support Driver

SMB1.x Miniredirector

SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper & Engine

Redirected Buffering Sub System

Mup

SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector

SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper & Engine

Redirected Buffering Sub System

Mup

In addition, every time I look file and printer sharing it's set to do not share EVEN THO' I SET IT TO SHARE.

What now? Should any references to SMB1 & SMB2 be deleted from Registry?

• Edited by LilBro Friday, April 26, 2019 1:11 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2019 1:06 AM
  • Can't map what Windows refuses to see.

Friday, April 26, 2019 1:06 AM
  • Hi,

Can these devices be recognized normally in the File Explorer before?

I would suggest you update the latest patch.

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 26, 2019 9:55 AM
  • On both my Win7 and Win10 computers the "Computers" section of Network disappeared around April 14. All updates have been installed on both machines. Maybe I should uninstall whichever ones came out around the 14th.

Friday, April 26, 2019 2:54 PM
  • I'm beginning to think the problem lies in the POS router supplied by that POS Frontier Communications. I cranked up my MacPro running OSX 10.8. Guess what? even though it could see two of the three NAS, it couldn't load the files at all from the one NAS and only from the Public folder on the other. I'm in the process of downloading Linux Mint just to see if it has the same problems.

Saturday, April 27, 2019 12:53 AM
  • Update 4: I built a "live" Linux Mint USB drive and ran Mint. Guess what? Every drive, every folder and every file showed up. I realized also that my MacPro, being in the basement, was having a hard time getting a wireless signal from the POS Netgear D2000 modem my ISP provides. It did show every drive and every folder and some of the files. Hmm...Kinda narrows it down as to who the culprit is.

Sunday, April 28, 2019 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing more detailed information.

I really appreciate your ability to troubleshoot, analyze the issue and find the right direction.

I believe that you can solve the problem soon.

Best regards,

Travis

Monday, April 29, 2019 7:27 AM
  • Uninstalled the last two (April) updates on my Win 10 box and guess what? I could see the NAS drives, open the NAS drives, and see the files and folders. Hmmm...Could it possibly be the updates hosed my network? Now to see if the same happens with Win 7. Still can't see the networked computers, tho'.

• Edited by LilBro Tuesday, April 30, 2019 12:12 AM added comment
    Monday, April 29, 2019 10:35 PM
  • Hi,

SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709 and later versions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows 

And please check these services on computers:

Function Discovery Discovery Resource Publication  (Running) (automatic)

Computer Browser; Network Connections; Network Location Awareness; Function Discovery provider host

Best regards,

Travis

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709 and later versions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows 

And please check these services on computers:

Function Discovery Discovery Resource Publication  (Running) (automatic)

Computer Browser; Network Connections; Network Location Awareness; Function Discovery provider host

Best regards,

Travis

Checked both the Win 7 and Win 10 box and all of those services were already set as you described. I've ruled out Norton 360 as this was happening some time before I installed it. And turning it off has no effect.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

Can you see other computers and shared folders in the file explorer?

We can also check if there is a problem with the NAS.

Best regards,

Travis

Monday, May 6, 2019 9:28 AM
  • As my original post showed, explorer does not show the "computers" category. It does show the NAS as storage but I cannot access the folders or files on them. Three different NAS devices - WD MyBookDuo, WD MyCloud, and Seagate GoFlex Home.

Monday, May 6, 2019 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

Have you contacted NAS Support for more in-depth investigation? 

Meanwhile, I will try to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Travis

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:16 AM
  • Their response is "We're sorry but we no longer support these devices". That makes about as much sense as if GM and Ford were to tell their customers they'll no longer support any vehicles built before 2016.

I already followed the tips at
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-version-1809-network-does-not-show/d5241167-97e6-4b6d-a7e6-96238f876d27.

All four services mentioned are already set to automatic start up. All computers have network discovery turned on and specific folders are shared.Both of my PCs are running Win10 - Latest.  Neither shows my NAS devices as Computers under Windows Explorer as it did under Win7 Pro. The NAS devices do show up under storage but if I try to open them I'm thrown to their respective web pages, not the content. All three show up UPnP-AV devices and if I try to access those renditions Media Player opens again instead of the files on the devices.On the laptop which came with Win10 I can access the file contents from This PC but I can't get to the partitions as set up by the manufacturers. And that means they are now totally useless as backup devices. Which also means I can't recover a backup from any of them.Any suggestions? Is it Windows? Is it the devices? Is it the POS wireless router my ISP provided (Netgear D2200D, courtesy Frontier Telecom, where string and tin cans is state of the art).

Thank you.

Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:22 PM
  • Solved the problem with a solution so simple I'm surprised no one thought of it.

Network Connections>Wireless Network Connection> Internet Protocol Version 4 > Properties > Advanced > Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

The devices will not work under the default setting - Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server. If static IP address is used or the DHCP server does not provide NetBIOS setting, use Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Friday, July 5, 2019 11:27 PM
  • Hi,

Good to hear that you have solved this issue by yourself. In addition, thanks for sharing your solution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,

Travis

Monday, July 8, 2019 5:53 AM