none
windows 32 bit to 64 RRS feed

• Question

• i recently bought a new harddrive for my pc cause my last one failed on me. and i lost my vista disk and key so i bought windows 7 home premium from the same local shop i got my HDD. ive been doing research and all windows 7 versions comes with 32 bit and 64 bit on the disk. except basic.  but i have premium and it only came with 32 bit. why is that and what can i do about it? i want to put more Ram in but  need 64 bit to do so.  is there any way to get that with out paying for windows again just for the 64 bit ?  pretty sure they gave me a copy of windows thats not retail. probably for beng sold with a new pc purchase pre installed  idk 
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:52 AM

Answers

• As you say, you may have received a system builder (OEM) copy. I believe that only includes one form (in your case, 32 bit).

I've never done it, but I believe that I've read that your key could be used to activate a 64 bit version. The problem is coming up with an installation DVD. The builder (your local shop) is supposed to provide all support for an OEM copy. Perhaps they'll help.

• Proposed as answer by zhen tan Friday, September 23, 2011 9:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:32 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:05 AM
  • The Windows 7 product key will work for the 32-bit an/or the 64-bit version, there are no different keys. Even a different language could be activated with the same key. You only need to get the 64-bit copy. I think (like bobkn) you should go back to the OEM shop and switch the disk for a 64-bit version.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:28 PM

All replies

• As you say, you may have received a system builder (OEM) copy. I believe that only includes one form (in your case, 32 bit).

I've never done it, but I believe that I've read that your key could be used to activate a 64 bit version. The problem is coming up with an installation DVD. The builder (your local shop) is supposed to provide all support for an OEM copy. Perhaps they'll help.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:05 AM
  • The Windows 7 product key will work for the 32-bit an/or the 64-bit version, there are no different keys. Even a different language could be activated with the same key. You only need to get the 64-bit copy. I think (like bobkn) you should go back to the OEM shop and switch the disk for a 64-bit version.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:28 PM