none
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. Additional information: 0x80070005.

Question

• Hello,

I have this incurable problem (looks like a curse) with system restore.

Whenever I try to restore any older restore points I have the restore operation ends miserably with the error message "system restore could not access a file" and the event viewer shows "An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. Additional information: 0x80070005"

The restore fails in normal boot, safe mode, and System repair environment "The one next to safe mode in the F8 window"

I don't have Norton nor Zone Alarm nor roxio, I use ESET Smart Security 4 and I've used system restore numerous times while ESET is installed, plus if the problem was eset then why would it fail even in the system repair environment.

I tried also resetting the security and registry permissions using this http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx.

I'm out of ideas and in need of help.

I also tried "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk /r", also tried manually created and automatically created restore points.

A side question, is there a log file for the restore operation?
    A log file that shows which files were restored and which had problems?
    If such a file exists it would be very helpful in diagnosing this strange problem.

Thanks in advance.

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate here.
    • Edited by RoamingHawK Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:34 PM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:42 PM

Answers

• Thank you Thomas_77 for the reply.

I did try removing all the restore points but it didn't work, I also remember that the volume shadow service was never disabled.

I managed to solve my problem by a Repair Install, it might seem a drastic measure, but it was my last option.

I think the problem was that There was something wrong with the permissions of the files/registry which prevented the restore operation from finishing correctly, and with no log file for the restore operation to look at, there was nothing else I could do.

Thanks anyway.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 11:23 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Try remove all restore point and then restart the Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) services:

Step 1: Remove all restore point

===================

1. Click start button, right click 'Computer' and choose Properties.
    2. Click Advanced system settings, click System Protection tab.
    3. Highlight Partition C, click 'Configure..' button, Click Delete.
    4. Please repeat the above steps with the other partitions.

Step 2: Restart VSS service

======================

1. Click the "Start" Button in the "Start Search" bar, type: "services.msc" (without quotes) and press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2. Double click the service " Volume Shadow Copy".
    3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the "Stop" button under "Service Status" to stop the service. Click start button to restart this service.

Then manually create a restore point. 

Thomas77
    • Proposed as answer by Thomas_77 Friday, December 25, 2009 5:06 AM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:17 AM
  • Thank you Thomas_77 for the reply.

I did try removing all the restore points but it didn't work, I also remember that the volume shadow service was never disabled.

I managed to solve my problem by a Repair Install, it might seem a drastic measure, but it was my last option.

I think the problem was that There was something wrong with the permissions of the files/registry which prevented the restore operation from finishing correctly, and with no log file for the restore operation to look at, there was nothing else I could do.

Thanks anyway.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 11:23 AM
  • I too have the same issue and problem with SYSTEM RESTORE.  What's with Microsoft and the roll-out of Windows 7?  I wish I was still running XP.     

John..........Windows 7 Home Premium
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:55 PM
  • I too have the same issue and problem with SYSTEM RESTORE.  What's with Microsoft and the roll-out of Windows 7?  I wish I was still running XP.     

John..........Windows 7 Home Premium
    I realize that I am posting in a thread that is over a year old, however, it is the same issue.  I recently started getting all sorts of strange error messages regarding .dll files that supposedly weren't made to work on Windows. *shrug* I didn't change anything.  Anyway, I went to Microsoft support and was told that in order to get the issue resolved I could either go to the HP support site or pay for Microsoft to fix it.  I went to the HP site and they recommended a system restoration which I have been trying to do since yesterday afternoon with no success.  I am in safe mode.  I have tried 6 different restore points and all of them act as if they are going to restore and then at the last moment, after the "Restoring Files" message, I get the freaking "An unspecified error occurred during system restore." message.

I bought this HP just before the release of Windows 7 and it came with a free upgrade to 7 when it was out.  I have the upgrade disks ... somewhere ... but that's it.  The computer didn't come with any disks itself. I would greatly appreciate some help, PLEASE. I'm ready to go back to stone tablets. 
    Monday, July 18, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Me too- HP PC with Windows 7 64 bit.  Trying to resolve this problem.  Not sure what the cause could have been.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:19 AM
  • ox800700b7 means the HD is going for a dive. HP will not replace it either, even under wanrranty unless you bring your box to the store where you bought it. Don't take no for an answer. Have them replace your drive, with Windows on it.

That's my 2 cents.

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:44 AM