none
2018-11 Cumulative Update KB4467682 breaks custom Win 10 Start Menus RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I work for a non-profit as part of the IT Dept, we run Win 10 Pro throughout our facilities, since we can't afford Enterprise. As part of that, to avoid the crapware constantly popping up in the start menus of my users, I used the procedures found  at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/customize-and-export-start-layout and https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/windows-10-start-layout-options-and-policies#taskbar-options to create a custom start menu applied to every PC using Group Policy. It has worked beautifully for a number of months now on over a hundred PC's. After KB4467682 was released, I've noticed that when a user logs into a PC they haven't logged into before, instead of this 6 pinned and locked icons at the top of their start menu, they now only have one. All of the Win32 icons now no longer show up, only Provisioned apps.

To see pictures, I have a post at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/2018-11-cumulative-update-kb4467682-breaks-custom/b0f57d22-3a0b-4678-8264-c5fa90fbf651?tm=1543856020859

It only affects programs in the exported XML file that are Win32, rather than Provisioned apps (hence why you still see the icon for the Weather app). And I've been able to narrow it down to KB4467682, as it just started happening in the last few days. Also, I uninstalled KB4467682, reapplied the Group Policy, and it worked fine. 

In the XML file, I have attemtped to change both the 
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE% or %APPDATA% value to the actual file path (C:\Program Data....); I've re-exported a pre-created start menu using the Export-StartLayout command in powershell on the SAME PC after KB4467682 is applied, set it as the start menu in GP, and logged into with a different user account, no change. I've copied the XML file from the read-only share on our fileserver that it's been stored on for months now, copied it to the local machine and set in GP, no change. 

But, again, once I uninstall KB4467682, then it works fine on the same PC. Something changed and it broke Microsoft

XML file follows:

<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification" xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout">
      <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />
      <DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups">
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6">
            <start:Group Name="Internet">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />
              <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk" />
            </start:Group>
            <start:Group Name="Microsoft Office">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Excel 2010.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft PowerPoint 2010.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Word 2010.lnk" />
          </defaultlayout:StartLayout>
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
      <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace">
        <defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
          <taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
            <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" />
            <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk" />
            <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />
          </taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
        </defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
      </CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>
    </LayoutModificationTemplate>

Monday, December 3, 2018 4:54 PM

Answers

• Using Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, Group Policy assigned Start Layout. KB 4467682 broke our menu for new user profiles as well.  Existing profiles were fine if they existed locally before the update.  Putting the test machines in a clean OU and only using the Start Layout option still didn't work, so that ruled out things like Telemetry being to restrictive.

After a lot of trial and error, I have finally got ours to work again after this update.  Looks like MS broke the DesktopApplicationLinkPath function again - but only on Start Layout, Taskbar was fine.  I got ours to work using DesktopApplicationID instead.  You can find out the ID for non-store installed apps - it is assigning Microsoft.AutoGenerated.{ALongString} to them.  Luckily the Long string has stayed consistent across all machines of varying models I tested with - even in house developed apps and explorer shortcuts to mapped drives.

So to figure yours out, open powershell with admin UAC privileges.  Then run Get-StartApps .  Look for the app you need.  Example Outlook 2016 ProPlus is Microsoft.Office.OUTLOOK.EXE.15  All text is case sensitive.  If you don't see your app, it has to be in the start menu and I did my queries as the local admin.

Another thing we are doing in case this doesn't give the same results.  We are setting the c:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\shell\DefaultLayouts.xml file to a cleaned up baseline xml file.  Then we additionally delete c:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\shell\LayoutModification if it exists.  OEMs like to stick junk in those files.  Who needs HP's equivalent of Candy Crush. 

These 2 files combined with our Start Layout gives a clean tile area with only our corporate apps, allows users to pin anything else they want, but they can't tamper with our corporate pinned apps.  Before we gave up and opened our checkbook for Enterprise, the game links would sometimes come back or show ugly blank pending download tiles.

Hope this helps.  No idea if it will survive the next MS feature/quality update - they might change programmers assigned to it and switch syntax again.  It's retarded that Export-StartLayout doesn't output in the format that currently works, even on the same machine.  Attaching a sanitized version of our XML

Seemed odd business enterprise would get a bug like this, I noticed that Group Policy doesn't seem to be working for selecting the Channel anymore.  We have GP set to "Semi-Annual" under Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business > Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received.  However our machines aren't greying out choice on the local Windows interface, everyone can still choose their channel under Windows Updates > Advanced.  Win10 default is the typical consumer path of Semi-Annual Targeted and ignores the GP setting.  Whole point of GP is so we don't have to individually set it.  Anyone else using Enterprise experiencing this?

<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification" Version="1">
      <DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups">
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout">
            <start:Group Name="Your Group Name" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Office.OUTLOOK.EXE.15" Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0"/>
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Office.WINWORD.EXE.15" Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0"/>
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Office.EXCEL.EXE.15" Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0"/>
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.AutoGenerated.{A-REALLY-LONG-STRING}" Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2"/>
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.AutoGenerated.{ANOTHER-REALLY-LONG-STRING}" Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2"/>
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="C:\Users\Public\Desktop\CUSTOMAPP.exe" Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2"/>
              <start:Tile Size="4x2" Column="0" Row="5" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
      <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\FolderWithNoSpaces\Outlook 2016.lnk" />

• Edited by GluedToMyChair Friday, December 7, 2018 4:58 PM Forgot to put back OnlySpecifiedGroups, then found Taskbar section doesn't work with a space in the folder name even though it is in quotes and there's still a space in the link file
    • Proposed as answer by JoshKliewer Friday, December 7, 2018 9:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by LobotomizedJ Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:15 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 4:46 PM

All replies

• I'm currently having the same exact issue.

Using a <g class="gr_ gr_27 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="27" id="27">custom .</g>XML in local GP doesn't work after the below update is installed. Please Push out a new update to resolve this issue.

2018-11 Cumulative Update KB4467682

• Proposed as answer by JoshKliewer Monday, December 3, 2018 8:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JoshKliewer Monday, December 3, 2018 8:58 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2018 6:53 PM
  • Did you by chance find a work around for this yet, or are you waiting for Microsoft to fix it? This update is still out breaking start menus.

Thank you 

Monday, December 3, 2018 8:58 PM
  • Still waiting unfortunately. I tried doing a basic search on TechNet and the Microsoft support site, couldn't find any mention of it yet, hence why I created this.
    Monday, December 3, 2018 9:25 PM
  • Not sure what I am missing but it doesn't seam to be urgent for those of use that created custom start menu's.
    Monday, December 3, 2018 9:39 PM
  • I work for a smallish medium company doing desktop engineering and I can confirm both the finding and the unfortunate work around.

I am wondering if it has to do with the "fluent" remodel of the start menu that MS is introducing with build 18290.  Found here:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/11/28/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18290/

Since our machines get patched from MS before we roll them out, this could be an issue.  Can we please get this fixed soon?

Monday, December 3, 2018 10:39 PM
  • What blows my mind is that even using the Export-StartLayout command on the same PC after KB4467682 is applied doesn't fix it. It would be one thing if something in the structure of the XML file had changed, and what was being generated was just simply a format change. I could deal with that, and run two XML files on my file servers administrative read-only share, and just run a slightly different version of the installation script on affected machines. Point it to the updated XML file instead of the old one.

But no, this just flat-out breaks them for no discernible reason. Opening up a command prompt and entering in the actual path of the shortcut (%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Excel 2010.lnk) works just fine, so its not in how Explorer is interpreting those values. It's just flat-out broken, and if you aren't using the Microsoft Store and paying them even more $$$, you get to go screw yourself. 

Don't like to have your Start menu's full of crapware every other month when they force new apps onto your system because your organization can't pony up for Enterprise? Go screw yourself.

This has been Windows 10 in a nutshell. "Screw you, pay us."

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:52 PM
  • Just wanted to chime in here and confirm this issue. We run Windows 10 Enterprise and I create our reference image with MDT on a VM. I export the start layout from our reference image and apply it during the post install phase of our deployment task sequence. This works well but broke with KB4467682. I confirmed by reverting VM snapshots to previous versions, saving an image and deploying:

October 24, 2018—KB4462933 (OS Build 17134.376) - No issue
    November 13, 2018—KB4467702 (OS Build 17134.407) - No issue
    November 27, 2018—KB4467682 (OS Build 17134.441) - Broken. The tile groups don't show up at all.

Event Viewer shows the following under Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\ShellCommon-StartLayoutPopulation (same error for every grouped tile):

Attempting to write the W~%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2016\Access 2016.lnk tile to storage encountered the following error: shellcommon\shell\tiles\curatedtilecollections\collectioninitialization\lib\unresolvedlinkpathtileinitializationhandler.cpp(54)\StartTileData.dll!00007FFD2FADA482: (caller: 00007FFD2FAC45FF) Exception(1) tid(149c) 8000FFFF Catastrophic failure
        CallContext:[\GetCollectionActivity\InitializingStartLayout\LogAllTilesActivity\WritingStartLayoutToStorage]

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:03 PM
  • Using Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, Group Policy assigned Start Layout. KB 4467682 broke our menu for new user profiles as well.  Existing profiles were fine if they existed locally before the update.  Putting the test machines in a clean OU and only using the Start Layout option still didn't work, so that ruled out things like Telemetry being to restrictive.

After a lot of trial and error, I have finally got ours to work again after this update.  Looks like MS broke the DesktopApplicationLinkPath function again - but only on Start Layout, Taskbar was fine.  I got ours to work using DesktopApplicationID instead.  You can find out the ID for non-store installed apps - it is assigning Microsoft.AutoGenerated.{ALongString} to them.  Luckily the Long string has stayed consistent across all machines of varying models I tested with - even in house developed apps and explorer shortcuts to mapped drives.

So to figure yours out, open powershell with admin UAC privileges.  Then run Get-StartApps .  Look for the app you need.  Example Outlook 2016 ProPlus is Microsoft.Office.OUTLOOK.EXE.15  All text is case sensitive.  If you don't see your app, it has to be in the start menu and I did my queries as the local admin.

Another thing we are doing in case this doesn't give the same results.  We are setting the c:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\shell\DefaultLayouts.xml file to a cleaned up baseline xml file.  Then we additionally delete c:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\shell\LayoutModification if it exists.  OEMs like to stick junk in those files.  Who needs HP's equivalent of Candy Crush. 

These 2 files combined with our Start Layout gives a clean tile area with only our corporate apps, allows users to pin anything else they want, but they can't tamper with our corporate pinned apps.  Before we gave up and opened our checkbook for Enterprise, the game links would sometimes come back or show ugly blank pending download tiles.

Hope this helps.  No idea if it will survive the next MS feature/quality update - they might change programmers assigned to it and switch syntax again.  It's retarded that Export-StartLayout doesn't output in the format that currently works, even on the same machine.  Attaching a sanitized version of our XML

Seemed odd business enterprise would get a bug like this, I noticed that Group Policy doesn't seem to be working for selecting the Channel anymore.  We have GP set to "Semi-Annual" under Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business > Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received.  However our machines aren't greying out choice on the local Windows interface, everyone can still choose their channel under Windows Updates > Advanced.  Win10 default is the typical consumer path of Semi-Annual Targeted and ignores the GP setting.  Whole point of GP is so we don't have to individually set it.  Anyone else using Enterprise experiencing this?

<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification" Version="1">
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout">
            <start:Group Name="Your Group Name" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Office.OUTLOOK.EXE.15" Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0"/>
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Office.WINWORD.EXE.15" Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0"/>
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Office.EXCEL.EXE.15" Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0"/>
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.AutoGenerated.{A-REALLY-LONG-STRING}" Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2"/>
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.AutoGenerated.{ANOTHER-REALLY-LONG-STRING}" Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2"/>
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationID="C:\Users\Public\Desktop\CUSTOMAPP.exe" Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2"/>
              <start:Tile Size="4x2" Column="0" Row="5" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
      <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>
              <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\FolderWithNoSpaces\Outlook 2016.lnk" />

• Edited by GluedToMyChair Friday, December 7, 2018 4:58 PM Forgot to put back OnlySpecifiedGroups, then found Taskbar section doesn't work with a space in the folder name even though it is in quotes and there's still a space in the link file
    • Proposed as answer by JoshKliewer Friday, December 7, 2018 9:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by LobotomizedJ Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:15 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 4:46 PM
  • Looks like Microsoft pulled KB4467682 due to reported blue or black screen issues:

"As a precaution, we have removed this optional update from Windows Update and Window Catalog to protect customers. Fixes and improvements will be available in the December 2018 security update release and will include a resolution for this issue."

No acknowledgement of the Start Menu issue sadly.
    Friday, December 7, 2018 7:48 PM
  • After installing this update some users with custom Start menu layouts may see them display incorrectly. Microsoft is working on a resolution and estimates a solution will be available mid-December 2018.

Saturday, December 8, 2018 6:56 PM
  • Much appreciated GluedToMyChair, that took care of it. 

And even some official acknowledgement from Microsoft that they know about the problem. Thanks all

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:17 PM