none
How can I change the Windows 8 login screen color? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there.

I've recently installed Windows 8 on two separate systems and it is all working fine. The systems are on a standard Windows Domain which means users have to sign in to access their individual accounts. 

When Windows 8 boots up, the Seattle scene screen pops up (as normal) and then you need to either click the mouse of a keyboard button to open the log-in screen. 

The background of the login screen (where users enter their username and password) is an ugly dark purple color. How can I change this color? When users sign in, they get their own choice of Start screen background, but the LOGIN screen background seems unchangeable..

Please help me find out how to change the login screen background. Thanks

Monday, November 26, 2012 3:29 PM

Answers

• The background of the login screen (where users enter their username and password) is an ugly dark purple color. How can I change this color? When users sign in, they get their own choice of Start screen background, but the LOGIN screen background seems unchangeable..

I've explained this here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/159202-windows-logon-screen-background-color/page__view__findpost__p__1018771

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:50 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• The background of the login screen (where users enter their username and password) is an ugly dark purple color. How can I change this color? When users sign in, they get their own choice of Start screen background, but the LOGIN screen background seems unchangeable..

I've explained this here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/159202-windows-logon-screen-background-color/page__view__findpost__p__1018771

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:50 AM
    Answerer
  • Instead of just changing the color, can you add a picture to that particular screen or is it ugly solid color only?  I haven't found the option to change the color to a picture in the settings anywhere.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:44 PM
  • can you add a picture to that particular screen

Have you had a look a Picture Password?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/picture-passwords#1TC=t1

Presumably if you made the "Picture Password" so impossible to enter that the user always reverted to keying in their account password you would have effectively just a background picture for their login.   <eg>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:14 AM
  • Instead of just changing the color, can you add a picture to that particular screen or is it ugly solid color only?
    This Win7 functionality was removed. You can only change the useless Lock-Screen.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:29 AM
    Answerer
  • Maybe this.  Make sure you access charms from WITH the Win8 menu

To change the background

1. Open Start by swiping in from the right edge of the screen and then tapping Start. (Or, if you're using a mouse, point to the lower-left corner of the screen, move your mouse all the way into the corner, and then click Start.)

2. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Settings.)

3. Tap or click Personalize, and then tap or click the background, background color, and accent color you want. The background and accent colors you pick will show up in a few other places too, like the charms and the sign–in screen.

• Proposed as answer by Mac_Ma Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:43 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:05 PM
  • what if there isn't a folder "accents" at the end of the address you suggest?  Any alternative?

Many thanks

Sunday, March 16, 2014 12:54 PM
  • Make sure its current user one

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Accent

You will have following entries in there:

AccentColor and StartColor

Change them to HEX colour retaining "ff" in the beginning
    I.E. black is 000000 so should be ff000000

restart

After login colour will change

• Proposed as answer by Benwars Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:31 PM
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 8:08 AM
  • I changed StartColor to ff000000, which after restart, did indeed change the color of the lock screen to black. Thank you for posting!

• Edited by Benwars Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:32 PM