none
Vista x64 "Missing Operating System / clfs.sys" Error???!!

Question

•  

I'm having one hell of a problem.  I moved my PC from one case to another.  I have a 2TB RAID5 array on board on my ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe and a 1TB striped disk on a controller on my PCI-E 1x slot.  I setup the RAID5 hoping to not lose my data and it looks like I might be doing that. 

I set my system up and labled each drive to which SATA connector it was attached to so there wouldn't be any issues when I put it all back together (yeah right).  I ended up unplugging one of the RAID5 drives which didn't make the RAID too happy but it booted to VISTA just fine, but it told me that the RAID was degrated.  I canceled the check disk that came up for the C: drive because I knew the root of the problem, I was missing a drive.  I shut down the computer and plugged the drive in that was detached.  Now the RAID showed that it was healthy.  I attempt to boot to windows and all that comes up on the screen is "Operating System Missing" GREAT.  I boot into the recovery console on the DVD and it says it fixed an error and to restart.  Restarted and now windows tells me that the file CLFS.sys is missing and to boot into the recovery console from the install DVD.  No biggie right?  I've done this before and it all went fine.  Not this time. 

The recovery console fails to recognize my windows installation.  When I go to the "load drivers" screen to add the RAID drivers from my flash drive I can see the C: drive!  So windows knows about my array just fine but not windows.  I look through the drive and all my data is there windows folder etc. 

Restarted again hoping it was a fluke, nope same error.  Boot into recovery console and it says windows found an error on the disk and it will fix it.  Well, it says failed to write c:\boot\boot.XXXX.  I restart again like it says and now it says \boot\boot is missing and to boot into recovery console which says it found an error and thats the loop i'm stuck in.  I dont really mind having to install windows again but I have about 4-500 gigs of data I need to back up from the drive and I Can't do that in the recovery console because it doesn't know about my striped RAID array.  I'm ready to put ANOTHER drive in there and install XP just to move my data from the RAID5 to the stripe but I'd REALLY like to know how to fix my VISTA install so I can be sure I have all my data backed up.

Another problem is VISTA doesn't know about my current installation of VISTA so I can't use my "upgrade" CD KEY because there isn't a windows installation according to the recovery console.

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.  I need to know if there is a way to manually fix this or if i'm SOL.  And if so I need to know how to go about installing VISTA again on my RAID array.  Urgg all because I wanted to move cases. HELP

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:17 PM

Answers

• HI,

I’d like to suggest you perform a startup repair of Widows Vista, the following are the detail steps:

1.    In order to start the Windows Recovery Environment you must boot your computer off of the Windows Vista DVD that you purchased or that came with your computer. To start this process, insert the Vista DVD into your DVD drive and turn your computer on.

2.    As you want to boot the computer from the Windows Vista DVD you need to press a key, and any key will do, on your keyboard when you see the above prompt. After you press the key, you should hear your DVD reader spinning up and then you will see a black screen with a white status bar at the bottom stating Windows is loading files.... After a while, the status bar will turn completely white and you will see a screen stating that Windows is loading. The Windows Setup environment will continue to load

3.    Configure the Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method options so that they are set correctly. When done, press the Next button. You will now be at the main Windows Vista setup screen where you would normally install Vista on to a computer.

4.    As we want to repair the computer, you should click on the Repair your computer option. This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box

5.    Select the Vista installation you would like to repair and if there are drivers you need to load in order for Vista to access any of your drives or other components , then you should click on the Load Drivers button to load them. When ready, press the Next button to continue. The automatic recovery will search and fix the problem.
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:16 AM

All replies

• HI,

I’d like to suggest you perform a startup repair of Widows Vista, the following are the detail steps:

1.    In order to start the Windows Recovery Environment you must boot your computer off of the Windows Vista DVD that you purchased or that came with your computer. To start this process, insert the Vista DVD into your DVD drive and turn your computer on.

2.    As you want to boot the computer from the Windows Vista DVD you need to press a key, and any key will do, on your keyboard when you see the above prompt. After you press the key, you should hear your DVD reader spinning up and then you will see a black screen with a white status bar at the bottom stating Windows is loading files.... After a while, the status bar will turn completely white and you will see a screen stating that Windows is loading. The Windows Setup environment will continue to load

3.    Configure the Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method options so that they are set correctly. When done, press the Next button. You will now be at the main Windows Vista setup screen where you would normally install Vista on to a computer.

4.    As we want to repair the computer, you should click on the Repair your computer option. This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box

5.    Select the Vista installation you would like to repair and if there are drivers you need to load in order for Vista to access any of your drives or other components , then you should click on the Load Drivers button to load them. When ready, press the Next button to continue. The automatic recovery will search and fix the problem.
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:16 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:00 AM
  • YES BUT I DNT HAVE THE DISC ANYMORE

WHAT DO I DO?

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:00 PM
  • I wouldnt mark this thread as answer, because i am suffering from the same boot issue, totally unable to boot from the vista DVD simply because it crashes before it gets into boot dvd set up and display blue screen error

This seems like a simple enough issue to solve but how can it be solved if the machine crashes before it reaches the DVD set up?

System even crashes when trying to get into safe mode (right now im in safe mode)

I searched the issue and found out this is a log file driver issue, i also found a hotfix on microsoft website but was unable to install it, i am already running SP1 and upto date, the hotfix did not install because it said it does not apply to this system, then crashes and display blue screen (how ironic)

any suggestion? i havent got another system to use but i have got another spare hard drive

This issue started happening right away i updated my bios from 0706 to 2001 on Asus M2n32 sli duluxe wifi motherboard

i also saw something about the timing in bios could be incorrect, would resetting the bios using cmod solve the issue?

i have not tried that.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 5:04 PM