Windows Update 800F081F

Question

• My Windows update can not connect after downloading the newest version 7. something

I get the error of  800F081F  is there any information on this a fix for this

Vista Home Premium on a SATA drive

Thanks

Chris Denny
    Monday, January 21, 2008 4:56 PM

Answers

• I had the same error recently when updating one of my Windows server 2008 and I solved it by turning off UAC (User account control)
    Might be of help to someone.

best regards
    Gorazd Šemrov
    • Proposed as answer by allonone Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, September 19, 2011 3:08 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Restart Windows Update Services! All I needed to do.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 3:38 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the post.

Internet Explorer 7 is built in Windows Vista. I would like to know what the newest version 7 you mentioned is.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1 Rename Windows Update Temporary folders

======================

1. Click Start, in Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv

net stop Cryptsvc

cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

rd /s /q DataStore

ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start Cryptsvc

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose Run as administrator.

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Step 2 Reinstall Windows Update agent 3.0

======================

1. Download Windows Update agent 3.0 to D:\ from the following link:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

Note: Please do not download it to the system drive (C:\). Otherwise, we cannot install it.

2. Click start, click All Programs, click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

3. Type the following command and press Enter.

D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

Note: There is a space between “D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe” and “/wuforce”.

Then try to install the updates again.

If the issue persists, please let me know the IDs of the updates which cannot be installed.

In addition, please send me the following information for further research:

WindowsUpdate.log

=============

1. Click Start->Run, type: %windir% and press OK.

2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log". Please be aware that there may be another file named "Windows Update.log". I am requesting the file without a space in the middle of the name.

System Information

==============

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to us.

I have created a FTP site and you can upload the above files to me from the following site:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=c5e43c17-2290-479d-ba39-1ec855b5d9d4

Password: qw%Fy2nsT+

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:37 AM
  • I too am receiving this error message.  I tried to follow the above steps but it did not change the outcome.  When I check the event logs I am also seeing the below messages.

--------------
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core (Feature Pack) into Default(Default) state
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-Package-en-US-MiniLP (Feature Pack) into Default(Default) state
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package WindowsUpdateClient-SelfUpdate-Core-Package (Language Pack) into Default(Default) state
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package WindowsUpdateClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp-Package_en-US (Language Pack) into Default(Default) state
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package WindowsUpdateClient-SelfUpdate-Core-UIComp-Package_en-US (Language Pack) into Default(Default) state
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package WindowsUpdateClient-SelfUpdate-Core-CoreComp-Package_en-US (Language Pack) into Default(Default) state
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package WindowsUpdateClient-SelfUpdate-Core-Package (Language Pack) into Default(Default) state
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-Package-en-US-MiniLP (Feature Pack) into Default(Default) state
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package WindowsUpdateClient-SelfUpdate-Core-Package (Update) into Default(Default) state

----------------
    Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:51 PM
  •  

Tim

I have not being able to up date windows,get same code error 800F081F

what can I do about it?  is this update necessary?

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 3:38 AM
  •  

Hi Amos and Galindoandm,

You can try methods below:

Method 1 Install the WSUS version 3.0 client program from the following site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494/en-us

Method 2 In-place Upgrade of Vista

=======================

1. Start the computer.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Note: We may need to reactivate the system after the upgrade.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 7:31 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I was trying to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 KB 936330 through Windows Update released 18 Mar but the update was failed giving ERROR CODE 800F081F. I read that Microsoft recommends to update to Vista SP 1 through Windows Update and not through standalone update package for a single computer so I was trying to get the update through Windows Update.

I have tried renaming update temporary folder as described in your steps above (BUT ALL my update history gone?!?) and tried re-installing Windows Update Agent. It says my Vista already have the agent installed so this installation isn't needed and so I went to "Check for Updates" and it says my Windows is up-to-date and no updates are available for my computer.

What do I do now if I want to get the update through Windows Update? And why Microsoft does not recommend getting the update through the standalone update package? And why is the big difference in file size 427 MB (for standalone update package) and abt 62 MB (for one through Windows Update)?

Friday, April 04, 2008 8:59 AM
  • No replies? Nobody can offer any help?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Hello Tim,
    I could not install Vista SP1 , so, I tried your method of inserting this command file :

net stop wuauserv

net stop Cryptsvc

cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

rd /s /q DataStore

ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start Cryptsvc

onto the clip board ,and NOW my system doesn;t recognize my files , nor can I access system restore, how do I undo this mess, do not have a CD/DVD drive installed for a CD repair.
    Thanks ,
    Rick

Sunday, December 28, 2008 6:59 AM
  • I had the same error recently when updating one of my Windows server 2008 and I solved it by turning off UAC (User account control)
    Might be of help to someone.

best regards
    Gorazd Šemrov
    • Proposed as answer by allonone Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, September 19, 2011 3:08 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Gorazd Šemrov, you solution worked for me. thanks
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:01 PM
  • This worked for me under WS2008 as well Gorazd, thanks.

I also had error 80070003 on some updates until I tried your solution.

Turning off UAC in WS2008 is done as follows:

Control Panel > Classic View > User Accounts > Disable UAC > Tick the box confirming you want to disable it > OK

It says it needs a reboot to take effect, but in my experience the updates went on fine at that point without a reboot.

You could then turn UAC back on if you wanted to before doing the reboot the updates invariably need.

Regards,

Sam Prince
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Restart Windows Update Services! All I needed to do.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 3:38 PM