none
"Turn Windows features on or off" empty

Question

• Hi I have the problem described in KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712 but neither of these methods can fix the problem, Google searches indicate that a number of people are having this problem as well.

Has anyone been able to come up with a method to fix this problem?

My PC is running a new install of Vista Ultimate 32bit.

I am seeing a number of other problems as well but I was thinking they could all be related to this issue.

Thanks

Nick

Monday, August 18, 2008 5:15 AM

All replies

• please tell me you have a solution to this problem ;-)

I have exactly the same main problem, and a few other things not quite right also.  I have tried the KB article but dont want to use system restore.

Sunday, October 19, 2008 11:06 PM
  • I am having exactly the same problem (Vista Ultimate 32 Bit), and the above solution does not work for me as the registry value "StoreDirty" in HKLM\COMPONENTS does not exist.

Is there any other solution other than system restore? I remember that I was able to install IIS using the "turn Windows features on or off" feature, but that was a long time ago, and I suspect that one of the Windows updates installed since then is to blame.

Thanks,

Till

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:38 PM
  • I am having exactly the same problem where "Turn Windows Features on or off" is empty with Vista Ultimate 32 Bit. 

I am also getting the following error when trying to install the latest security patch: "Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package KB958644 (Security Update) into Resolved(Resolved) state"

Here are the things that I have tried:

1.) Ran the System File Checker.  At the command prompt, type Sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.  No consistency issues were found. It didn't resove the issue.

2.) Tried to restore before applying Vista SP1, however I no longer had this checkpoint as an option.  I restored to my oldest restore point, but this didn't resolve the issue.

3.) Tried to delete a potential StoreDirty registry value.  At the command prompt, type "reg delete HKLM\COMPONENTS /v StoreDirty".   The registry entry did not exist.

4.) Tried to reinstall Vista SP1, however, the uninstall option was not available.  I successfully uninstalled Vista SP1 using the procedure in Method 3 of the following support article  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537

After uninstalling Vista SP1, I still had an empty "Turn Windows Features on or off" box.  After reinstalling VIsta SP1, I had the same issue.

Anyone have any more ideas?  I am not sure that I want to go through the work of a clean install of Vista.

Thanks.

Jeff

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:20 AM
  • Its fixed on my pc.  Now, I'll try and remember what I did to fix it.

- uninstalled silverlight (i had a beta)

- uninstalled SQL server 2008 9I think I had some beta components left in there)

- uninstalled VS2008 (it wasnt beta but seemed to be broken as I couldnt install its SP1 either!!)

- I ran some microsoft install cleanup tool that I cant remember the name of right now!!

possible it was: VS2008-PatchRemovalTool-x86.exe

sorry I cant remember any more.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Hi

Try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712

or Run the Inplace Upgrade using the OS DVD from the Desktop.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Hey, It seems this issue has been plaguing people for over three years. The article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712 clearly doesn't work for most people as the scan finds nothing and reverting to a restore point mean you need to have one that was created before the issue started. Has no one found a proper solution? I do wonder where Microsoft is in these situations too busy befriending Nokia I suppose. Why isn't there an explanation as to why this happens? There's talk of corrupted system files. But, then why doesn't SFC find anything. More to the point what happened to the system file protection system. Aren't system files supposed to automatically be replaced from the dllcache(XP) or some such equivalent source on vista/Win7 if they become corrupted? Apologies for the rant, but I'm beginning to lose the respect of my kids 'cos I'm failing to fix this one! :-)
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:29 PM
  • It is not empty, it says please wait. So wait, it could take 3 to 5 minutes or longer depending on the amount of services you have!
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 10:42 PM
  • It is not empty, it says please wait. So wait, it could take 3 to 5 minutes or longer depending on the amount of services you have!

Hmmm, possibly the most unhelpful comment I've ever read. Are you suggesting people are imagining their features boxes aren't empty, and that they're simply being impatient?
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 2:25 PM

Hmmm, possibly the most unhelpful comment I've ever read. Are you suggesting people are imagining their features boxes aren't empty, and that they're simply being impatient?

Nah, he's just saying that he's still running on Windows 98 and doesn't have that issue....
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Alright, here's the fix I got from Dell : Reset to factory defaults.

Tested the Windows features on/off and surprise ... it works.

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Reset what to Default ?
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:35 AM
  • Reset what to Default ?

Either reinstall windows from scratch or use the system default procedure that reinstalls the OS from the image stored on the computer (depending of the manufacturer).

Hope this helps

ChrisWasHere
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Either reinstall windows from scratch or use the system default procedure that reinstalls the OS from the image stored on the computer (depending of the manufacturer).

Hope this helps

ChrisWasHere

??  So wiping out an install is the only solution to this problem?

Sorry...not a solution I can live with.

• Proposed as answer by Murss Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Murss Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:47 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Murss Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Murss Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:48 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Either reinstall windows from scratch or use the system default procedure that reinstalls the OS from the image stored on the computer (depending of the manufacturer).

Hope this helps

ChrisWasHere

??  So wiping out an install is the only solution to this problem?

Sorry...not a solution I can live with.

Try this fix, found it today and it worked for me: in the registry editor, go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control, and modify (or add if not there) the key "RegistrySizeLimit" with a value, in hex, of "FFFFFFFF" (or in decimal 4294967295).
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Hi everyone.  I think I found a fix for it which involves installing the Windows System Update readiness tool.  Here is a link for a website I found.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/03/06/fix-blank-or-empty-list-in-vista-turn-windows-features-on-or-off-optionalfeaturesexe/

• Proposed as answer by joliv25 Monday, March 26, 2012 5:31 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 2:40 PM
  • This worked for me. Thank you!

Brent

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 11:32 PM
  • From Services "Windows Modules Installer"

Just put Startup type: Automatic

Just put Service status: Started

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Hi everyone.  I think I found a fix for it which involves installing the Windows System Update readiness tool.  Here is a link for a website I found.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/03/06/fix-blank-or-empty-list-in-vista-turn-windows-features-on-or-off-optionalfeaturesexe/

^ this worked for me without having to go into the registry

THANKS!

Monday, March 26, 2012 5:31 AM
  • I am currently downloading this fix and will try it.  BTW, I also noticed that all my Windows Games are gone, as well.  Did anyone notice if they had the same problem, and might this also cure it?
    Wednesday, July 04, 2012 10:48 PM