none
Bitlocker Screen is Orange with White Lines

Question

• Hi all

This is a weird one.  We have been upgrading all our laptops to Windows 10 over the last few weeks and everything was going smoothly.

Over the last couple of days some of our users have started calling in as the normal blue Bitlocker Password Entry Screen has been replaced with an orange screen with white vertical lines on it (and no text).

The user's bitlocker password can be entered (blind!) and the laptop continues to boot as normal.

This has happened across different makes (Dell, HP, Fujitsu) and various models of laptops, so not a hardware fault.

TPM should not be an issue either (some affected laptops have them, some don't)

Has anyone any thoughts?

Could it be related to updates which came out on Tuesday?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Thursday, July 14, 2016 11:54 AM

Answers

• Hey folks,

I'm not 100% sure this'll fix things (and not for every case!), but it's pretty low-risk and I'd love to see if it helps with the issue. Can one or two of you give it a shot for me and report back on the results?

bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v

For context, we think there's an issue with the boot-time font files, and if all the right things are in place this command will force a servicing event that will fix those files.

Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:09 PM
  • Was able to get rid of the screen by doing the following:

- enter your bitlocker (or user) password on the orange screen blind which temporarily bypasses the problem

- uninstall the security update (KB3172985). It will ask to restart, let it restart. It will still have the orange     screen but the update will be uninstalled. Access your account again.

- suspend bitlocker first, then reinstall the update (if you check for updates it will automatically find and reinstall it)

- restart your computer and the bitlocker password screen should now appear (if you chose that option when installing bitlocker)

Friday, July 15, 2016 9:02 PM
  • I wanted to share the workaround we discovered here:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

This disables the fancy, graphical, Windows 10 boot menu and reverts to the text-based Windows 7 version, including the Bitlocker PIN entry screen. It works fine, the only thing you lose is the prettiness of the screen, and it's easy to revert (change "legacy" to "standard") when and if this is fixed.

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:45 PM

All replies

• I had the same/similar issue starting yesterday with the Windows 10 bitlocker passphrase screen being corrupted. I have had Windows 10 installed for quite some time, but yesterday morning when I signed on to my personal Dell laptop (without TPM or network login), I had a blue screen with horizontal lines. I could also enter the passphrase blind, but that is not going to work long term. I also assumed this is probably related to the updates, so I backed up the PC and did a system restore to before the update. That actually killed Windows and I got stuck in an endless error loop. I was forced to boot to a Windows restore USB key and reset Windows. I was able to keep all my files with the restore, but all my programs had/have to be reinstalled. I hope this can be fixed quickly.

I tried to add a picture, but I apparently can't do that until my account is verified. Soooo Microsoft, how the heck do I verify my account?

***I updated my profile picture to be the picture of Windows 10 Bitlocker Passphrase screen.

• Here is the same issue with Windows 8.1 from years ago (I can't enter links because of Microsoft). Look up: VERY strange BitLocker "enter password" startup screen, not blue - ORANGE - I can't see anything, BUT after I type password and hit enter, Windows IS booting
    • I do notice now that once I enter the passphrase, my Dell logo--which looks normal before the passphrase screen--is distorted (low/wrong resolution) after I enter the passphrase. I think the folks in the above thread are onto something with the graphics, and Microsoft needs to let us know what they destroyed with the update.

• Edited by JabberJ Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:34 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:14 PM
  • We are running into the same issue with Windows 10 bitlocker. The screen is orange with white vertical lines. So far we have tried rolling back the display driver but that did not have any effect. Seems to be caused by the Tuesday update.
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 4:22 PM
  • The July updates KB3163912 and KB3172985 are out for Windows10!

Can you add this issue to that thread? Then hopefully John Wink (MSFT) can see it and comment.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 4:42 PM
  • Done, thanks!
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Hey folks,

A couple of questions... Is this limited to specific graphics hardware (NVIDIA GeForce, GT, GTX)? And does this happen only on a reboot or also on a cold boot?

Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:56 PM
  • Hi John,

It is happening on our Lenovo Carbon X1 laptops. They use the Intel HD Graphics 4000 video chipset. It occurs both on a cold boot or a reboot of the system.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:07 PM
  • Hi John, I am using Intel HD Graphics on a Dell Inspiron laptop. It happens on warm boot and cold boot for me.

Thank you!

Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:20 PM
  • Is this a non-English version of Windows you are using?

Thanks,

Eliyas

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:13 PM
  • Also could somebody please post a photo of the screen?  Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:16 PM
  • I am using an English version on Windows 10 Pro. 

• Edited by JabberJ Friday, July 15, 2016 11:48 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:30 PM
  • The screen looks like the image from this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/orangewhite-striped-sign-on-screen-bitlocker/5bc6bb31-83bf-4bad-b328-3c54188178e6

It is the English version of Windows.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:37 PM
  • I had the same/similar issue starting yesterday with the Windows 10 bitlocker passphrase screen being corrupted, I have a azure horizontal bar at the top and the rest is black.

I have had Windows 10 installed since it came out last Year and had no such issues yet. I have no TPM installed on my computer.

Please see also my initial post from Yesterday.

Bitlocker bootsplash screen is corrupted after upgrade on July 12th 2016

Some facts:

CPU: Core i7

Grpahics: AMD 7950

Windows 10 Pro - German version

The issue happens for both, cold and warm boot, as each time the system boots up, it asks to enter the bitlocker password.

Bitlocker passphrase prompt screen
    • Edited by techie333 Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:48 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:41 PM
  • Here is the blue screen with horizontal "dashes"

https://goo.gl/photos/UgkcRESRuc8nDhun7

Thanks,

• Edited by JabberJ Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:47 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:47 PM
  • Hi Eliyas / John

The screens we've seen look the same as ISPowerObjects posted

The models we have seen this on are:

HP ProBook 640 G1 - Intel HD 4600
    Dell Vostro 3460 - Intel HD 4000

Not sure the Fujitsu model at present but think it is an Intel chipset too, it starts sounding like it's an Intel Graphics specific issue to me.

External monitor shows the same screen if plugged in.  Following successful password entry the Windows logo displays normally when booting/

Some people have reported the bitlocker recovery screen displays OK (following the orange screen initially) but I haven't been able to recreate or validate that.

It is the English version of Windows.

Cheers

Andy

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:50 PM
  • Hi Andy,

the corruption does also happen on my system with an AMD Graphics Card, so I have doubts this is isolated to an Intel Grpahics.

Cheers

J

Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:00 PM
  • Oh, and to try to troubleshoot I've tried a cold boot as well as hybrid.

I've turned bitlocker off, rebooted and turned it on again.

I even increased the graphics memory

All to no avail.

One bit of success was achieved by removing the updates, then updating Windows again, but unfortunately the user had to take the laptop before we could analyse it. 

It seemed to restore the correct Bitlocker Blue screen bI don't know if this is permanent or some kind of fluke. Unfortunately unless I get access to the laptop again to check which specific update as installed/reinstalled or unless I get another one to test I cannot validate this - sorry.

Sorry doeffi - I didn't see your post re AMD as I was frantically typing at the time, so not Intel specific!

Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:02 PM
  • Hello,

This also happened to us. The display adapter is an Intel G33/G31 chipset. The strange thing is that from around 20 computers in our network, only 2 were affected by the orange screen with white vertical lines. All computers have the exact same specs and running Windows 10 Pro.

Friday, July 15, 2016 1:54 AM
  • Hello,

Same here. Since last Tuesday patch, all laptops setup with Bitlocker have this issue of vertical orange lines when bitlocker asks for the pin code prior Windows 10 boot.

Affected systems reported are, at the moment, Lenovo T430s equipped with Intel HD Graphics 4000.

• Edited by PoY00ch Friday, July 15, 2016 7:33 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 7:18 AM
  • We are having the same issue, orange screen with white vertical lines (the same as PoY00ch's image) instead of the BitLocker page, the user can type their BitLocker password at this point and Windows will then load.  So far its occurring on about a fifth of our laptops, various manufacturers (Fujitsu, Samsung, Lenovo), models and specifications. They've all been upgraded to Windows 10 as opposed to clean installs. 
    Friday, July 15, 2016 11:12 AM
  • I was able to get my passphrase screen fixed. I had used System Restore to restore to the point before the update. This actually crashed my laptop and I had to use a USB restore key to reset Windows. After resetting Windows, it automatically installed the updates again and I still had the corrupted screen. I had lost all my applications--including Dell drivers during the reset, so I let Dell's site tell which which drivers to install. After installing the latest Intel drivers from Dell's site (Intel's site said I was up to date), I rebooted the computer and the passphrase screen is now fixed.
    Friday, July 15, 2016 11:55 AM
  • Hi JabberJ

Unfortunately this is not something we can easily do with hundreds of users across multiple platforms.

Hopefully it will help point MSFT in the right direction though.

Do you have the updates on the machine again or are they still outstanding?

Friday, July 15, 2016 12:20 PM
  • I understand. Yes, it installed all the most recent updates. I hope they are able to get it resolved pretty quickly.
    Friday, July 15, 2016 12:51 PM
  • I've been able to replicate this issue after installing kb3172985.  If I install it on a PC with the BIOS set to UEFI, I get the light blue screen with no PIN entry field visible.  If I set it to Legacy, I get the orange screen with vertical lines and no entry field visible.  In both cases, if I enter the PIN I can still get into Windows.
    Friday, July 15, 2016 12:52 PM
  • Happens on a reboot, cold boot and when you come out of sleep.
    Friday, July 15, 2016 1:35 PM
  • We have faced this issue in HP machines with blue screen after HP logo. Uninstalling the patch doesn't solve the issue
    Friday, July 15, 2016 1:49 PM
  • We are having this same issue with several of our PC's, since the latest patch was pushed on Tuesday, July 12th, 2016.  Uninstalled the patch (KB3172985) does NOT resolve the issue.  We are able to type in the PIN blindly, and it accepts.

Here's a helpful tip, should you be looped into Recovery Mode.  Instead of Resetting your OS and losing files or apps do the following:

1. Open the Command Prompt

2. type "manage-bde -status" and press ENTER

3. You may have two volumes in this list, IF SO determine which volume is encrypted, notate the drive letter associated.

4. Once notated, type "manage-bde -protectors -disable C:"  *NOTE: If your encrypted volume is a different letter, replace "C" with that letter.  Press ENTER.  Running this command will SUSPEND Bitlocker

5.  type "wpeutil reboot" and press ENTER.

6.  You're computer should now reboot into Windows without the Orange Screen

I want to notate that this WILL NOT  resolve the Orange screen, HOWEVER, it will prevent you having to completely reset your PC.  IN ADDITION, Suspending Bitlocker will only suspend for 1 reboot, meaning, the next time you reboot, you'll arrive at the Orange screen/ BitLocker PIN screen.

NOW, regarding the Orange Screen, Vertical Lines issue. Has anyone tried decrypting the HDD, then encrypting again to see if that resolves this?  We haven't yet and are planning to, but I was curious if anyone else had tried this?

• Edited by spriggles Friday, July 15, 2016 2:33 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 2:26 PM
  • Hi spriggles.

Yes, we decrypted and re-encrypted.  No joy, still the orange screen.

Regards

Andy

Friday, July 15, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Hi spriggles.

Yes, we decrypted and re-encrypted.  No joy, still the orange screen.

Regards

Andy

Thanks for the quick response, Andy.  This in itself has save me a ton of troubleshooting time.  Much appreciated.
    Friday, July 15, 2016 2:34 PM
  • We're experiencing the same problem here. We're only seeing it on HP Elitebook 820 G2 laptops Windows 10 at the minute.

Tried uninstalling KB3172985 as this was the last update to install which didn't seem to have any impact on the problem.

Friday, July 15, 2016 3:45 PM
  • We have been having this issue with one of our laptops as well.  A Latitude E6540, running Windows 10, has the integrated graphics from an Intel chip.  I have uninstalled the updates, it wouldn't let me revert back to a prior build though, I have uninstalled the graphics driver (still had the screen pop up) reinstalled the driver, decrypted and re-encrypted the drive, tested it on an external monitor, all to no avail. 

Just tossing this on the thread so others know what else has been attempted.

Scott

Friday, July 15, 2016 3:52 PM
  • By prior build I mean the previous version of 1511 since this massive update was an upgrade from that version it seems.
    Friday, July 15, 2016 3:53 PM
  • Thanks to each of you for all of your assistance.  

We to are having this issue, but only on a single laptop.  We're waiting to hear from Microsoft and I'm continuing to monitor this thread to find a solution.

Darrell

Friday, July 15, 2016 3:58 PM
  • Thanks to each of you for all of your assistance.  

We to are having this issue, but only on a single laptop.  We're waiting to hear from Microsoft and I'm continuing to monitor this thread to find a solution.

Darrell

Hey folks,

It'd be great if a few of you would be willing to gather some additional information to help us debug this. If you can help, please gather the following data, ZIP it up and name the ZIP file as your handle here on TechNet, and upload it to the TechNet folder on my OneDrive here:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtwXjrnjoGBmlw9JslDsRkkU0xzV

Here's a list of the data we need:

• Run Msinfo32.exe (link) and get us machine details
    • Binaries related to the boot path. Not all of these files will be visible in explorer (by default). Try using xcopy /H to copy them to another folder.
      • If the machine is UEFI
        • Mountvol s: /s will mount the ESP partition (s: could be any available drive letter)
        • Copy everything in that volume (this volume will have only system files related to boot and no personal data)
      • If it is BIOS machine, please copy all files from c:\windows\boot volume and all subfolders
    • Files from C:\windows\logs folder and all subfolders

If you can collect all of that, ZIP it up and upload it, it would really help. Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

Friday, July 15, 2016 5:33 PM
  • Just experienced this on two laptops. One is 2011 Sony Vaio Z2 and the other is a 2014 Dell XPS 15. 

This isn't a hardware or driver issue.

https://twitter.com/randompunter/status/754021864121434112

Friday, July 15, 2016 6:55 PM
  • Hi John,

I uploaded the requested data to the TechNet Folder.

Thanks,

Isaac

• Proposed as answer by parkjc Friday, July 15, 2016 8:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by parkjc Friday, July 15, 2016 8:56 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 8:50 PM

- enter your bitlocker (or user) password on the orange screen blind which temporarily bypasses the problem

- uninstall the security update (KB3172985). It will ask to restart, let it restart. It will still have the orange     screen but the update will be uninstalled. Access your account again.

- suspend bitlocker first, then reinstall the update (if you check for updates it will automatically find and reinstall it)

- restart your computer and the bitlocker password screen should now appear (if you chose that option when installing bitlocker)

Friday, July 15, 2016 9:02 PM
  • Hi John,

I uploaded the requested data to the TechNet Folder.

Thanks,

Isaac

Received, and thanks!
    Friday, July 15, 2016 9:23 PM

Interesting, we'll look at this. Thanks!
    Friday, July 15, 2016 9:23 PM
  • Hi John,

I Uploaded the requested data too, appreciate your work on this.

Thank you

D

PS I found out that the updated KB3172985have been superseeded with the following. It would be great to know if this could be related and if so, how we can load this update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172988

• Edited by techie333 Saturday, July 16, 2016 4:32 PM
    Saturday, July 16, 2016 3:52 PM

That worked, thanks alot!
    Monday, July 18, 2016 11:47 AM

This fix worked for us as well!  Thank You!
    Monday, July 18, 2016 1:00 PM
  • This is pretty clever stuff. :-)

We're testing something a little easier to work around this, stay tuned!

Monday, July 18, 2016 3:07 PM
  • Hi John,

I Uploaded the requested data too, appreciate your work on this.

Thank you

D

PS I found out that the updated KB3172985have been superseeded with the following. It would be great to know if this could be related and if so, how we can load this update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172988

Definitely a good question, but I don't think so. We've tracked this issue back to the boot-time font files, if you can believe it. We're testing a quick fix right now, hopefully I'll have something for you in short order.

Thanks!

Monday, July 18, 2016 3:11 PM
  • Hey folks,

I'm not 100% sure this'll fix things (and not for every case!), but it's pretty low-risk and I'd love to see if it helps with the issue. Can one or two of you give it a shot for me and report back on the results?

For context, we think there's an issue with the boot-time font files, and if all the right things are in place this command will force a servicing event that will fix those files.

Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:09 PM

This disables the fancy, graphical, Windows 10 boot menu and reverts to the text-based Windows 7 version, including the Bitlocker PIN entry screen. It works fine, the only thing you lose is the prettiness of the screen, and it's easy to revert (change "legacy" to "standard") when and if this is fixed.

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:45 PM
  • bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v

This worked perfectly in our case.  I suspended BitLocker, rebooted, and ran bfsvc.exe at an elevated command prompt.  The next reboot displayed BitLocker w/ Pin as expected.  If the full output of the command would be helpful, I can post if you'd like.

Thank you!

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:47 PM
  • Just tested this on a stricken machine (a Dell Latitude E7470 with Intel graphics) and it fixed it! \o/
    Monday, July 18, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Hey folks,

Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

I tried on my machine and it solves the issue perfectly, great stuff.

Thanks for diggin into this and the provided solution.

Monday, July 18, 2016 5:01 PM
  • Hey all,

I have been having the same problem on my Lenovo T430s. Unlike many on this thread I have been unable to log in blind. Any thoughts?

Essentially I get the orange and white line screen upon booting at which time i type my password and hit enter, but nothing changes. Hitting escape makes the screen flicker for a second but it remains in the orange and white lines...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

Monday, July 18, 2016 5:37 PM
  • this fix work for us. thank you.
    Monday, July 18, 2016 5:58 PM

That's pretty clever! Works around the fonts issue nicely. Hopefully the command I provided will work for everyone, but if anyone needs to go with this solution instead please let me know.

Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

Monday, July 18, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Thanks!   This worked like a charm!
    Monday, July 18, 2016 6:23 PM
  • bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v    resolved the issue for me.  Thanks!!
    Monday, July 18, 2016 6:27 PM
  • I am unsure how to actually apply this fix...
    Monday, July 18, 2016 6:36 PM
  • Steps that worked for me:

1. Suspend Bitlocker

2. open CMD with evalated rights (administrator)

3. run the commend: "bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v"

4. Reboot the Computer

5. In the case you are not prompted for password, witht this reboot, just reboot again :-)

6. Done

• Proposed as answer by dwhyte Friday, July 29, 2016 10:36 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2016 6:50 PM
  • We've been experiencing this annoying screen as well. About 4 of our Windows 10 enterprise laptops have been affected. All Lenovo but different models. There are two we can't even get into. We try to enter the password/use the recovery key but it won't accept either.

Creating a Win 10 ENT disc as I type so I boot from that and access CMD that way and try the command I saw below.

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:02 PM
  • I was able to log in using the recovery key (when typing blind you must hit "tab" after each group of number...dont type the hyphens). I then suspended bit locker and ran the above fix (bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v).

After rebooting the computer it all starts up normally. Unfortunately I cannot reinstate bit locker. when I try it says "wizard initialization has failed. the configuration registry database is corrupt"

Any thoughts?

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:46 PM

Open an Administrator command prompt and run the command, that should be all that's needed.

Thanks!

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:54 PM
  • Your method works but I tweaked it a little:

-enter your bitlocker (or user) password on the orange screen blind which temporarily bypasses the problem

-suspend bitlocker

- uninstall the security update (KB3172985). It will ask to restart, let it restart. It will still have the orange     screen but the update will be uninstalled. Access your account again.

- suspend bitlocker again, then reinstall the update (if you check for updates it will automatically find and reinstall it)

- restart your computer, resume bitlocker, restart, and the normal bitlocker password screen should now appear (if you chose that option when installing bitlocker)

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:56 PM

Open an Administrator command prompt and run the command, that should be all that's needed.

Thanks!

Did this and it worked! Thank you!

But now I cannot un-suspend bitlocker. it says the registry database is corrupt...

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:57 PM
  • I was able to log in using the recovery key (when typing blind you must hit "tab" after each group of number...dont type the hyphens). I then suspended bit locker and ran the above fix (bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v).

After rebooting the computer it all starts up normally. Unfortunately I cannot reinstate bit locker. when I try it says "wizard initialization has failed. the configuration registry database is corrupt"

Any thoughts?

This doesn't sound like it's related... The problem we're discussing here doesn't actually have anything to do with BitLocker, it's just the password entry screen (part of the boot loader) that was problematic.

Restoring to an older restore point should get rid of the corruption for you. Thanks!

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:57 PM

1. Suspend Bitlocker

2. Click Start, type CMD, right-click on search result and choose Run as Administrator.

3. Run the command: "bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v"

4. Reboot the Computer

5. First reboot may have rebooted more than once and then not prompted for Bitlocker PIN. All seemed normal after next reboot.

6. Done

Monday, July 18, 2016 8:59 PM

This workaround worked for me also.  Was able to blind enter password before to get into system before workaround

Toshiba P845, upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Professional

Monday, July 18, 2016 10:50 PM
  • This worked for me--nice work.  I used an elevated command prompt but there was no need to suspend bitlocker.  

I'm on an old Dell Optiplex 960 with Intel onboard graphics.  I was getting the orange screen with white vertical lines.  

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:32 AM
  • Hey folks,

Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

I have a custom-built gaming desktop PC, and I just encountered this issue today. I was getting the orange screen with white bars; same symptoms as others discussed here. This command resolved it for me. I simply opened a run-as-administrator command prompt, copy/pasted the command, waited a few seconds, then tested with a reboot. Worked like a charm. Didn't need to suspend Bitlocker or run it from a recovery CD; just a normal administrator command prompt. Thanks!
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:44 AM

1. Suspend Bitlocker

2. Click Start, type CMD, right-click on search result and choose Run as Administrator.

3. Run the command: "bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v"

4. Reboot the Computer

5. First reboot may have rebooted more than once and then not prompted for Bitlocker PIN. All seemed normal after next reboot.

6. Done

I use a custom desktop that had the same problem with a white/orange screen instead of the bitlocker screen.

The steps above fixed the problem for me, thanks!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:54 AM
  • Hi John

Yep, we've just tested on 3 machines and this worked perfectly.  Am about to deploy the fix to more machines and will update following this.

Cheers

Andy

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 11:33 AM
  • Thanks John, this worked for us as well.  

Just ran the command in an elevated command prompt.  I'll be adding the command to the logon script so for those that haven't experienced the "Creamsicle" wallpaper wont.

Thanks for your assistance.

PCNerd2001

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:24 PM
  • This command fixed orange stripes for me. Thank you!

If it helps:

I did not suspend BitLocker before running it.

Neither did I uninstall the update in question like some guy in this thread.

Running this command produced this output: http://pastebin.com/QAAXSaft

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:41 PM
  • Hey folks,

Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

Just wanted to confirm that this fixed our problem too. There was no need to suspend Bitlocker. Just ran the command on an elevated cmd. 

Thank you very much John!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:35 PM
  • I unintalled the KM3172985 update, rebooted and reinstalled the update.  I rebooted and it came up to the orange screen.  I enter the bitlocker pin blindly which then loaded Windows.  Then I ran the:

"bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v"  

command.  I rebooted again.  This time....No orange screen but the normal bitlocker pin screen came up.    

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:56 AM
  • Hi,

This did work for the issue we were having.  Except now when someone logs into this laptop it creates a TEMP profile on C.  Any thoughts?

Karen

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:14 PM
  • Thanks John

Looks like we got this problem from Windows updates for Windows 10 on 5 HP laptops so far.

Your fix worked on them all

Cheers

Pat

Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

This did work for the issue we were having.  Except now when someone logs into this laptop it creates a TEMP profile on C.  Any thoughts?

Karen

Have you tried to log in more than once with the same account? We had a problem a while back where sometimes on first logon after applying an update you'd get a temp profile, but it would work on subsequent attempts. I doubt this is it, I'm pretty sure we fixed that problem but wanted to make 100% sure.

If that's not the problem, take a look at this article. It was written for Windows Vista/Windows 7 but the guidance is still valid for Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947215

Thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:44 PM
  • So I've tried all of the methods suggested here and on some they work and on some they don't.

I'm working with a Lenovo T530. Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit. Bitlocker is enabled.

I disabled bitlocker, uninstalled the updates, rebooted, logged in, disabled bitlocker, re-installed updates, rebooted, logged in, restarted and BOOM. Orange Screen.

I also tried running the command: bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v, in elevated admin mode but it still displays the Orange screen after a reboot.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Hi John - this fix has been a godsend for me - but I've had 1 machine this hasn't worked on...

Windows 10 Lenovo Yoga

I get this: when I run the command bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v"   (with elevated rights)

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bfsvc.exe %windir%#boot /v
    BFSVC: ServiceBootFiles MuiOnly:n Res:y Fonts:y BootMgrOvw:nBootStatOvw:n DbgTransports:y CreateSetupObj:n
    BFSVC: Unable to open file C:\WINDOWS#boot\Resources\BOOTRES.DLL for read because the file or path does not exist
    BFSVC Warning: Failed to determine source OS version.
    BFSVC: Unable to open file C:\WINDOWS#boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi for read because the file or path does not exist
    BFSVC Error: Failed to validate boot manager checksum (C:\WINDOWS#boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi)! Error code = 0xc1

This was a windows 8.1 upgrade to win 10 about a month ago

Thursday, July 21, 2016 3:29 PM
  • Hi John,

thanks a lot, works like a charm! With the amount of errors reported, I can tell you that the command seems to fix the font stuff you mentioned.

Thanks again! :)

Cheers,

poy

Thursday, July 21, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

I have been fighting with this too today. Removing update didn't work and bfsvc didn't work either. The command line solution posted way up the thread by sholz

is the only thing that has worked for me. It gives a really ugly screen, but it works!

My fight was made more difficult by the user having locked up the TPM module with too many failed login attempts. I had to use a Win10 rescue stick to get into the disk via command line and enter the recovery key and then suspend bitlocker via the console!

Thursday, July 21, 2016 3:42 PM
  • Our office found this problem last Thursday (a week ago today), and it occurred on nearly all PC's.  Dell's, PowerSpecs, etc...

The BCDEDIT solution is the ticket in every case!  No need to uninstall patches, turn BL on/off, etc!

Simply do this at an elevated CMD prompt:
    ============================
    BCDEDIT /v

BCDEDIT /Set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

BCDEDIT /v
    ============================

The /v option displays the value of each boot manager variable and thus you will see the "bootmenupolicy" variable set to "Standard" before and then set to "Legacy" after the variable is set by the 2nd command above.

Of course after this, the BL preboot password prompt is a 'character mode' display and not the pretty sky-blue Bitlocker display.  But for the end-user that still makes a lot more sense than an orange screen with white stripes!

By the way, on 7/14, I opened a case (1347275975) with Microsoft.  I'm not sure if the person who obviously had English as a secondary language, really understood the problem.   I had to work hard to not be charged $499 for support too.  Classic waste of time!  Support person said they would look into it and get back with me.

Just now, I called back (to explain that a workaround is available) and support person Ryan said that the case was closed because it was "not in the scope of the department" and he could read the case to even understand what the problem was.   Geesh!  MS Support causes my blood pressure to rise.

tma

• Proposed as answer by Nick_damas Friday, July 29, 2016 7:06 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:41 PM
  • Can confirm that bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy works.

Just tried it on three different laptops with SUCCESS!!

• Proposed as answer by Nick_damas Friday, July 29, 2016 7:13 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:55 PM
  • You seem to have a typo in your command:

bfsvc.exe %windir%#boot /v

should be

Please try to type the command in Command Prompt (run as administrator) and do not paste it

Friday, July 22, 2016 6:40 AM
  • After thinking I had resolved the issue using the bcdedit command, I powered up the laptop this morning to find the orange screen had returned. It appears for some reason that on this computer the legacy screen only works on a restart. When powering up following a shut down, the orange screen comes up.

After failing to get the bfsvc.exe command to work yesterday  (I got errors on it too), I ran it again out of desperation. It produced errors again, however when I boot up now after a shutdown I am getting the correct blue modern/standard style BitLocker screen. Restarts are still loading the legacy black and white "DOS" style because I haven't run the command to reset it.

Very strange.

Friday, July 22, 2016 9:14 AM
  • Hi John this work for me on a dell laptop ran it took 30 to 40 seconds to run and worked a treat

thanks

Ashley

Friday, July 22, 2016 10:02 AM
  • I came in to work today to this same issue. I have a basic question. If all I see is the orange and white bars how do I get to cmd? Thanks, Jon
    Friday, July 22, 2016 11:38 AM
  • Hey all, So I was able to get it fixed and thoughts I would post the steps I took. After booting to the orange and white screen, I hit escape which took me to the main bitlocker page. I assume this is because I still have my machine set to use the Windows password instead of the bitlocker login. From there I was able to go into the advanced settings and run the command prompt to execute the commands above which worked great! Thanks for posting the temporary solution to still very strange issue. Jon
    Friday, July 22, 2016 2:23 PM
  • Worked for me.

Dell - Win10 - AMD 7 series Graphics - Service Tag 7RVRXX1 (in case you need to take a look at the full hw specs)

Monday, July 25, 2016 11:28 AM
  • I also get the orange screen with white lines. If I hit the ESC button I can get to a screen that asks to enter the recovery key. Once I enter the recovery key it asks me to continue or repair and I've tried both. Continue just reboots the computer and back to the orange screen and I have to repeat the process but then I click on repair and it asks me to reset my computer which I've done and it worked for a day but I end up having to reinstall all my software and I'm tired of reinstalling Microsoft Office as I have to call the 800 number to reinstall due to it thinking I'm putting it on more then one computer. I can't get past the screen that is asking for the recovery key so I can't get to a command prompt to enter your code. Any ideas???
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 2:49 PM
  • Okay, here's what worked for me. On the orange screen with the white lines just type your encryption password only, hit enter and you can login. Hope this helps others.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:27 PM
  • This worked for me after troubleshooting this for hours for one of my clients. Really appreciate the help.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Folks:  Respectfully, I don't understand all of the chatter about finding a fix to this problem.

My Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:41 PM comments above (unless someone can prove me wrong) are a definitive fix.  This fixed 10+ PC's in my office that were seeing the problem. Fixed every one.

Doing the following at a cmd prompt (w admin priv)

BCDEDIT /Set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Fixes the problem by turning the BitLocker pre-boot screen in to a "character mode" display and thus bypassing any font issues.

tma

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:38 PM
  • Thank you so much.  I have been doing battle with Dell and their only solution has been to reinstall the operating system.  This simple command save me days of work.  "bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v"

Kind regards,

David

Friday, July 29, 2016 10:38 AM
  • bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v" 

This works and you do not revert to a character mode.

Friday, July 29, 2016 10:43 AM
  • Thank you so much tmikea!

We have HP ProBook 450 laptops which we recently upgraded to Windows 10 and then later deployed BitLocker Encryption via GPO in AD.

So far one of them failed and had that ugly and orange stripes on the boot logon screen.

I tried all of the above solutions proposed (uninstalling patch KB3172985 or running the bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v command in elevated CMD)  AND NONE of them worked unitl I tried the "BCDEDIT /Set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy" command and IT WORKS!!!

Yes the background at the pre-boot authentication screen is all black kind of Linux based OS looking but who cares as long it works.

Again, thank you so much.

I really do appreciate it!

_nick_damas

Friday, July 29, 2016 7:13 PM
  • IT WORKS , YES IT DOES!!

Thanks tmikea!

_nick_damas

Friday, July 29, 2016 7:17 PM
  • Not in our case it did not.

the BCDEDIT command in the post above fixed the issues, you only won't have that sky-blue background any longer on the pre-boot authentication screen.

Thanks Microsoft ;(

_nick_damas

Friday, July 29, 2016 7:19 PM
  • I am having the same orange screen with vertical lines and cannot get past the screen no matter what. Even if I try entering my password it still sits on the orange screen.  Pressing ctr/alt/del restarts it but back to the orange screen. Trying to get windows into safe mode doesn't work either; it just ignores the command and goes to the orange screen.  I cannot use any BCEDIT commands.  I have Windows 10 on custom built pc and no boot disk except what's on my solid state drive.  Am I gong to have to make some type of boot disk somehow to get the BCDEDIT command?
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:48 AM
  • Hi

We have had the same issue with a Dell 3640 laptop however I followed the below instructions and this worked.

You need to enter your bitlocker password in blindly at the orange screen.

1: uninstall the security update (KB3172985). It will ask to restart, let it restart. It will still have the orange screen but the update will be uninstalled. Access your account again.

2: suspend bitlocker, then reinstall the update (if you check for updates it will automatically find and reinstall it)

3: restart your computer and the bitlocker password screen should now appear (if you chose that option when installing bitlocker)."

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 11:25 AM
  • It is waaaay too easy. It is a Bitlocker issue only. Simply pretend the orange screen is not there and type your password normally(you won't see what you are typing). Hit enter and all is well and normal. I get this every time my computer shuts down and comes back on. Now why it appears, I have no idea. Bob.
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Thank you. I'd recommend doing this for a quick fix especially if this happened to multiple PCs. 
    Friday, August 19, 2016 1:31 PM
  • I have an Acer Aspire v3-371, recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro, 1511 build 10586.545.  I am having the blue screen problem.  I think just since most recent updates installed on 13th Aug including Cumulative update KB3176493.  I do not seem to have KB3172985 installed. I can type the Bitlocker password in and then it works ok but would like a proper fix.  I have tried both the CMD lines bsfvc... and the bcdedit... and neither work.   I am not very technical and I am self-employed - no IT dept!

Any ideas?

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:41 PM
  • Hi John

Is this something that can/should be run prior to installing the 1511 update to hopefully prevent more of our users from having the problem?

Thanks

Sam

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 12:04 PM
  • This worked like a charm running cmd with admin.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 11:44 PM
  • Got word back:

"The champ reported that the fix for this issue should be included in the 14393.82 servicing release (KB3176934) that just went out recently. Can you ask folks to apply this servicing update and see if that fixes the issue? "

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:35 PM

Hi I have looked for the installed update but cannot find KB3172985 to uninstall. We still have the same problem. 

I did see that there were plenty of other updates waiting to install so I have completed the install of the updates. 

Thursday, September 01, 2016 8:30 AM
  • Worked well for me 

Lenovo T430s, Windows 10, 64-bit

Thanks!

Friday, September 02, 2016 12:58 AM
  • A month back I used BCDEDIT /SET {default} bootmenupolicy legacy.... BUT

for some reason, most of the laptops changed back to the Orange Screen automatically.

I was curious to try this method. I ran it on 2 laptops so far and it worked.

I rebooted 3x's on each and the proper Bitlocker screen was displayed.

Thank you!

Thursday, September 08, 2016 6:00 PM
    Issue is related to a mismatch in signing. Depending on what updates were taken when, you can end up with a signed bootloader but unsigned fonts in the boot partition (on UEFI) or boot directory (on BIOS). 
    1. Workarounds: Test with bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v

The command “bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v” forces a servicing event that updates the fonts to the correct, signed version.

This is a proper fix for the issue on Windows 10. It is unknown whether this has a positive effect on down-level OS's.

2. Non-workarounds: Set “bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy”

Some content has recommended “bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy”. This command enables a legacy text screen.
    The August 9th, 2016 cumulative update and subsequent cumulative updates contain correctly signed files and so should resolve the issue for any machines that correctly
    Friday, September 23, 2016 6:41 PM
  • Tried bfsvc twice to no avail but bcdedit has worked. Windows 8.1 which had a load of patches (200+) installed by company yesterday - not all of which made it. Thanks Sholz!
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 12:23 PM
  • Thanks! It Worked.. 
    NOTE: There is space after bfsvc.exe(hit space bar here)%windir%\boot(another space here)/v

I was trying without space bar and that is why it did not work before. Now it worked when I also put spaces

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:54 PM
  • There is a easy solution or a hard solution and people fall into the hard solution, because, quickly respond to panic, but remember, there is always a solution and you have to exercise your mind. First you have to remember the culprit of the problem, it's not necessarily hardware's, which is rare, the orange stripes or any other colours is basically a confusion of the computer mind because they are usually stupid. So this is what you should do, take the stupid hard drive out and replace it with any spare external hard drive and if you don't have one buy a old one from somewhere. You install the windows into that, once it's install shut down the computer and take the plug off. Now also insert the stupid hard drive and make that into a slave. Start the computer with the old hard drive which you installed the windows, when you are in the window screen go to start then go to computer, you will see the stupid hard drive, double click on it and save all your work, then right click and format. The stupid hard drive becomes alive and well. Once the format is done shut down the computer and plug off, take both hard drive and place the formatted hard drive in it's place and restart with new installation, once done, shut down the computer and plug off, add the old hard drive where you copied all your saved documents and now make that one your slave. You will go through the same process, once you are in the window screen, go to start, computer, then copy back your documents. WALLAP.
    • Proposed as answer by EasyMind Wednesday, November 08, 2017 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, November 08, 2017 2:09 AM