Print Jobs- stuck/won't cancel/won't delete !!!!

Question

• This has been going on for way too long.  It's been happening with XP and now Vista. It happens with several different printers from several different manufacturers.  It happens most recently with my Lexmark Vista compat. printer.

Print jobs won't print; but, when you try to delete the print job, it just stays there.    Cancel does nothingDelete does nothing.    Stopping the spooler via services does nothingPowering off the printer then re-powering does nothingRebooting does nothing.    After everything...still...."1 document pending".   It won't go away.  The only way to fix it is to delete the printer and re-install.   This is getting really flippin' old!

There are about 42,500 web pages about  this problem, yet Microsoft seems to know nothing of it?  Yea right. 

Is there a REAL solution to this problem?....or must I just go buy a computer with a real OS??

Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:11 PM

Answers

• If you are on Vista Home Premium, go through the following steps to clear "deleted" print jobs from the print queue.

1) Go to Control Panel

2) Select System and Maintenance

3) Select Administrative Tools

4) Double-click on Services

5) In the list of services, scroll down until you find one called "Print Spooler"

6) Right-click on "Print Spooler" and select "Restart"

7) The "deleted" jobs will disappear and any queued jobs in your print queue will print

Hope this helps. I figured it out on my own without any assistance from the paid professionals.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

I totally understand the feeling of encountering so many printing issues, but please understand that many factors may cause this problem and we will try our best to assist you.

Before going in-depth into this issue, I need to collect some information from you, which is important for further troubleshooting:

1.    Please briefly describe the environment, including: whether the printer is connecting locally or shared? If it’s shared, which system or device acts as the print server? Is the network wireless or wired?

2.    How many computers are involved in this problem? Are the involved computers upgraded from Windows XP to Windows Vista? Or clean install? How long does the problem persists?

3.    What are the models of involved printers? Are they using LPT or USB interface?

4.    If the problem only occurs in one computer, have you tested other computers in the same environment? Please also let me know the system information of this computer, especially the model of the motherboard.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:29 AM
  • Hello,

As this thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to ‘Comment’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:16 AM
  •  

I have a very similar problem with my printer and so does my brother with his EPSON printer.

When I print a file, the file will print but then in the printer status window after the print job is completed it shows that the file is trying to delete itself but it for some reason can not delete. If I try to print another file it will get stuck behind this file that has not deleted. The work around solution that I have done is I have to cancel all print jobs (even after this the job still looks like it is trying to delete), then I turn off my printer and turn it on again and the file seems to delete itself. This is a very cumbersome problem if I have a lot of files to print and I have to keep turning the printer off. In the case of my brother he has another model EPSON printer (newer version just bought a month ago) and as his printer is in his basement and he works wirelessly upstairs with his lap top it is a MAJOR pain (he has to keep going downstairs to turn the printer off and on again).

Please note, my old lap top (DELL Inspiron) used ME and it worked fine with the EPSON printer (and still does). I must admit I feel like the technology re VISTA operating system has made things worse (I thought creating a document and printing it was a pretty basic function for a computer).

Here are the specs:

printer: X6150 EPSON

LAPtop : DELL INspiron 1520

Re your questions:

1) Local printer

2) Connected directly to laptop via USB cable

3) Clean install from DELL

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:28 AM
  • I've run into a similar problem with Vista Home Premium.  My HP C4385 printer is connected wirelessly through a router and has worked well until recently.  Now there is always one print job stuck in the print queue.  It can't be deleted (it tells you it is deleting, but it never finishes the process).  Turning off the printer only re-sets its memory; once turned back on it tries to print the job once more and gets locked up.  I have tried to delete the printer definition in the printers list, but it also gets stuck in "deleting" mode, never to complete.  I created a new printer definition in the printers list, but it also gets stuck and can't be deleted.  I tried following a thread on an XP forum that suggeste creating a "delete print server" script, but Vista won't allow me to save it to the C: drive - - it says my administrator account needs administrator approval to do so.

It would be kind of nice if someone could post something helpful on this issue.  Right now I have to run my old XP laptop to print anything...as a result, I'm not very excited about Vista right now.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:17 PM

• Not sure if this will work that well for you but this is what I found worked for me.
    1. Start
    2. Control panel
    3. Printers
    4. Double click your printer
    5. See the jammed jobs in there
    6. Click Printer
    7. Click Cancel All Documents
    8. Wait about a minute, should hear your printer cooperate again

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:38 AM
  • If you are on Vista Home Premium, go through the following steps to clear "deleted" print jobs from the print queue.

1) Go to Control Panel

5) In the list of services, scroll down until you find one called "Print Spooler"

7) The "deleted" jobs will disappear and any queued jobs in your print queue will print

Hope this helps. I figured it out on my own without any assistance from the paid professionals.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:03 AM
  •  R. Thompson wrote:

If you are on Vista Home Premium, go through the following steps to clear "deleted" print jobs from the print queue.

1) Go to Control Panel

One other thing I had tried prior to doing these steps. I went into the C:\Windows\system32\spool\ folder and right clicked on the PRINTERS folder, remove the read-only bit in the properties. This may be required in order to allow you to restart the Print Spooler service. Try steps 1-7 first, if they don't work. Change the read-only stuff and try again.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:07 AM
  • This one nailed it - - thanks a bunch R. Thompson.

Saturday, May 03, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Just wamted to share my experience with this.  Restarting the spooler by itself did not work for me.  With an additional step I have been able to resolve as follows:  First stop spooler using instructions in previous comments.  Then open task manager and stop the process associated with your printer.  Then restart the spooler as indicated in previous comments.  This worked for me... I hope it helps someone else. 
    Sunday, May 04, 2008 2:26 AM
  • I'm having the same issue. Tried spooler and pretty much everything else.  I didn't try task manager...where is this located?  Any other suggestions would be great.  Thanks
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 11:23 AM
  •  

I have tried all the above and nothing is working. My HP laserjet 1320 printer is shared on the network. I have shut the printer off and tried the above mentioned step. Still nothing. I have removed the printer and re-added it.
    Friday, May 09, 2008 4:21 PM
  • I'm still having the same issue with my HPpsc 1315.  I've tried stopping and starting the spooler, deleting the project, deleting the printer and the printer won't delete.  I can't print anything and have no idea what to try next.  Please let me know of any other suggestions
    Monday, May 12, 2008 9:48 PM
  • I was just able to get it to work and wanted to pass it on.  I turned off the spooler described about and left it off.  I then went to software add/remove and removed all HP software.  I then reinstalled this software after turning the spooler back on and it worked!  Hope this helps some of you.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 10:14 PM
  • I'm having the same problem and did all the above.  Finally got my printer (HP 7100 series) to print, but when I view the printer tab under the control panel it shows the printer I tried to delete (but couldn't since there was a job stuck) but not the one I installed.  Any thoughts?

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:09 AM
  • I have a brand new Gateway GT 5656 and a brand new Lexmark X6570 printer only a week old. This printer is directly hooked up by USB cable to this desktop, but is listed as shared as we will use it on the wireless router for the laptop in the home ( this is not set up yet)

2. This is a new gateway computer with vista installed clean

3. Lexmark x6570 using the usb interface to this desktop to directly print

It has printed okay three times, then gets stuck. i treid all of the above as well and eventually had to uninstall and reinstall the printer. It printed two more times then stopped again. What the hey? I will return the desktop if this is a vista problem noone can identify and gfo for an apple if this is how it is going to be. These are both brand new out of the box units.

Di

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:53 AM
  • I just tried this and it worked! Thanks

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:01 AM
  • So what is the solution to this problem? On this forum there are couple options on how to remove it but it keeps happening every time I print so how can I fix this issue where the job gets printed to the printer but the Print job does not get deleted.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:01 AM
  • The response from R Thompson seemed to work to delete the prints that get stuck. He said to open the control panel, then administrative tools, then double click services, then find print spooler, then click the restart for the spooler.

I have done this each time it gets stuck, but it is crazy that you can't print more than a page or two on any printer without it getting stuck.

Does any microsoft assistance help with this???? These are warrantied products. Do we need to configure them differently to fix this solution. It looks like this has been going on awhile looking at the message boards. Any permanent answers from microsoft so we don't have to do this every few copies??

Thanks to everyones inputs. Diana

Saturday, June 07, 2008 4:01 AM
  • I don't know if anyone answered you. I know this is old, but if you press contol and alt at the same time with delete, the task manager will open or it will ask you, and you select task manager. It the printer will appear on the first tab, and you can select it and click end task. 

I did this and it does get rid of the stuck part, but I need it it to print all the time, and I do not know the answer to that one. It is funny microsof t has not addressed this one. It seems very basic for such a large corporation to have an OS that allows printing!

Frustrated, Blooming-iris

Saturday, June 07, 2008 4:14 AM
  • HUH?????

Chane what type back to question?

What radio button at the top?? Are you talking about Windows Vista? I do not see how to send or do as you instruct at all.

If someone found a permanent answer I would love to hear it. I wonder if it got quiet becasue they all took the computers back. I am about to!!

This was my last posting to delete the stuck files, but it only prints one or two copies then gets stuck. How can I get it to work?

Thanks Diana

Re: Print Jobs- stuck/won't cancel/won't delete !!!!

The response from R Thompson seemed to work to delete the prints that get stuck. He said to open the control panel, then administrative tools, then double click services, then find print spooler, then click the restart for the spooler.

I have done this each time it gets stuck, but it is crazy that you can't print more than a page or two on any printer without it getting stuck.

Does any microsoft assistance help with this???? These are warrantied products. Do we need to configure them differently to fix this solution. It looks like this has been going on awhile looking at the message boards. Any permanent answers from microsoft so we don't have to do this every few copies??

Thanks to everyones inputs. Diana

Saturday, June 07, 2008 4:22 AM
  •  

This is a not a problem with vista, it is with lexmark that installs a spooler dependent on itself.  I really resent Microsoft's first response to the gentleman who had the lexmark with the print spooler that stopped and it appears microsoft knows the answer because they did everything they could to try to avoid answering the question. It would be sort of like filing an insurance claim and the insurance company wanting to know the name of your mothers 2nd cousins niece before they pay,

Stopping and starting the print spooler does not work because it only stops again. I have had it work up to a day before it would stop but it always does.  As far as a clean install, this computer is 10 days old, was updated with all the windows updates, and is a vista home premium.  I have no problems with anything but LEXMARK.  LEXMARK is not going to fix this problem as long as we run to wal-mart and buy their junk.

I have two printers in my network, the HP gives no problems and I have set it as my default printer and bought ink for it.

I will marginalize (or rather lexmark has marginalized) my X6150 which is only good for scanning and a fax machine, and yeah if I want to print, the spooler might work for a few hours after a reboot.

By the way, I always disable sleep and hibernate on my machines as well.

This is a LEXMARK issue, buggy drivers, lack of customer support, there is a failure to acknowledge the print spooler problem by lexmark and the CANNED responses from microsoft do not work or if they work they work for a very short time because as sure as the sun sets at night and rises in the morning, the print spooler will stop again.

This is my second and last Lexmark Printer.   Even when you uninstall the Lexmark, they make hard to use someone else's printer and the spooler problem will persist as their software uninstall will not remove their changes to the print spooler. To solve this do the following:

Some Lexmark printer drivers install a service called LexBCES, and make the spooler dependent on that service. There seem to be a number of cases where the LexBCES service gets hung, and that then blocks the spooler from starting. To fix this:

1. open a Command Prompt window (Go to "start" "all programs" "accessories" "command prompt"

2. key in the following:
    sc config spooler depend= RPCSS
    (note there is no space between the depend & the = but there is a space after the = before the RPCSS)

3. press Enter.

To really solve this problem, get a trash bag, place your lexmark printer in it.  Put it out for the trash collector to pick up.  Get you a good HP printer.  Use the command above if necessary to get the spooler to work with your new printer.

Avoid buying Lexmark until they first acknowledge, then fix the problem.  I am not waiting for the acknowledgement and I am tired of having these problems.  When we all quit buying lexmark and when they are on the verge of bankruptcy, I suspect they might consider they should have fixed these problems but I will believe a fix when I see it.

Good hardware, but apparently, their engineers lack the capacity or willingness to fix this problem.

LEXMARK=buggy drivers, flawed software, a constantly stalling print spooler. Installation programs that both fail to completely remove old drivers and fail to properly install new ones.

LEXMARK printers should not have the LOGO works with vista until it is verified they can do so without a team of engineers and now counting, 25 pages of posts from people having the same problem with the same machine.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 5:33 PM
  • I Have the same problem with a Lexmark Printer x1250 All-In-One.  The spooler do not delete the print job;  to do so i have to turn off/on the pinter.  Also, i created a job for deleting the spooler it is found in Microsoft Knowledge base and it also works if you do not want to turn off/on the printer every time.

I consider both Microsoft and Lexmark responsible of this.  I bought a Mac so i have now the two OS.  I have to tell you that Mac OS works way way better than Vista.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:29 PM
  • I just discovered that if you go the "Printers Folder" and do right click on the printer that has the problem and got to "Properties" then go to the "Ports Tab" and check the "Enable Bidirectional Compatibility" option, the spooler will delete the jobs automatically since that was the problem with my case the Lexmark printer and Vista where not comunicating.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 1:46 AM
  •  

Since I just went through this *** just recently I have found 2 solutions other than the standard restart:

1. Restart the spooler service as shown by those above - I preffer the GUI method but thats just me:

Control Panel -->Admin Tools -->Services-->Print spooler-->Stop and start

2. Delete the actual files telling the spooler it has something to print:

C drive --> Windows--> System32 --> spool--> PRINTERS --> There will be 2 files for every document that is in the queue.  Delete them and restart your computer.

Hope that helps - worked for me.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:20 PM
  • I had the same problem with my LAPTOP, but once you remove the battery for 10 seconds and replace it. It resolves the problem.  Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Thanks a lot Thompson! It was so helpful. I was struggling with this for couple of days

Saturday, September 13, 2008 10:25 PM
  • Oh, thank you so much for this post. It was very helpful. I had pending print jobs on 2 printers and they FINALLY cleared!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:38 PM
  • I tried it all but the print spooler window is still not active.  Any more ideas?

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:38 PM
  • This is not a problem with Lexmark: it is a problem with Vista.  Vista sucks.  I have a HP printer that does the same thing.  drives me nuts...  none of the solutions here work. 

Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Stop the print spooler service as mentioned above

Go to C:\windows\system32\spool\printers\

Delete all the .spl and .shd files in there from the time when the jobs were stuck.

Restart the print spooler service

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 6:44 PM
  •  

Having trouble to print on HP office jet 4215

I checked on Printers and faxes -  it comes up with 19 pages ready to print but I can't get the printer to print them out

Monday, November 10, 2008 12:06 AM
  • Thank you thank you thank you!  I spent 2.5 hours trying to get rid of this print until I came across your post (R Thompson - Page 1).  In the past I had got rid of stuck prints by hardbooting the print server, pc and wireless modem but it just wouldn't work this time.  Then I came across your post - I won't throw the whole thing out of the window now!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:19 AM
  • I found the following on Fixya. It worked for me. Hope it hlps you.

also had similar problems...what i did was to stop the spoolsv.exe. by pressing CTL-ALT-DEL brings up the windows task manager. goto to the Processes tab and look for the image name 'spoolsv.exe', select it then press the End Process button. a confirmation dialog will appear. press yes. Then go to this folder: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS' you will see a bunch of files, delete all these files. After deleting said files, then press the Start button, press Run. A run prompt will appear. type this 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe'. Then goto to your 'Printers and Faxes' folder and try to refresh your printer. I do this everytime when i can't delete the spooled printer. Hope this helps... Smile

Sunday, December 07, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Hi

This problem seems to be an issue with vista and how it deals with upgraded drivers.

We had the problem with a Dell all in one printer and a new Vista dell laptop.

The customer installed the software supplied with the printer, It turns out this was for XP, and didnt work at all.

Uninstalling the driver and installing the Vista package let you print one page and it gets stuck in the spooler. It turns out when uninstalling the XP package it doesnt remove the dirvers or software. When installing teh Vista version it only upgraded Some bits and not all.

Solving the isse involves deleting all the printer files for teh XP install manually and then installing the Vista version.

By doing this it all works as expected.

Ian
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 10:50 AM
  • For XP if it says deleting-printing

Go to run program in the start menu

type in      services.msc       press ok

Look for print spooler in the provided list

Stop the service

then start the service again.

Go back to the printer window and cancel the pending print documents, they should disappear and you can print as normal

It worked for me, it might work for you.

Sunday, March 08, 2009 4:22 PM
  • Dear Mr. or Ms. Thompson:

You are a GENIUS!! Don't even try to deny it. This worked! I can sleep tonight! Thank you!!!

Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:36 AM
  • There are two solutions to this problem, one easy one difficult.
     A) Easy solution (expensive)... run (don't walk) and purchase a 24" iMac.
          This computer has a "real" operating system, but if like me, your printer is still based on a Vista machine, you will have to go to step "B")
     B) I don't know *why* the VISTA 'Cancel" and "purge" comands from the System->printer don't work, but here is the solution I found on the web.
        1) Run services.msc and STOP the printer spooler.  (Why you have to do it this way is beyond me.)
        2) Go into
            C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
            And delete all files in this directory.  (If you know what you are doing, you can just delete the ones you want).
        3) Restart the printer spooler.
        4) Donate money to a school to purchase Apple computers for all the children.... until such time as Microsoft chooses ship a "real" operating system. 
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:48 AM
  • I feel for you man.  First, take a deep breath/ Recommend some Chi Gung breathing exercises.  See this was posted a year ago, but replying for the sake of the community. 

Luckily, there's a workaround.  I found it at 

http://community.contractwebdevelopment.com/how-delete-or-cancel-hung-print-jobs-windows

Print jobs clogging up your queue?

It's easy enough to cancel a print job in the queue - you simply right-click it and select "cancel," after which the print job status commences to display "deleting..." After which you normally expect the print job to cancel and disappear so you can resume printing, correct? Unfortunately, often the print job will hang and prevent you from continuing to print anew from that same printer. We're going to show you how to forcefully delete these pesky print jobs.

How to force delete print jobs

Fortunately, there is a way to delete the hung print job without having to save all your work, close all your applications, and restart your computer. Here's how (note that this is intended for Windows XP systems, but a similar approach works on other systems - if this doesn't work for you reply below with your Operating System and version):

Browse to Start -> Run... and type in "NET STOP SPOOLER" (this will stop the print spooler service)

Browse to your windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS\ folder

You should see files there ending in .SPL and .SHD created around the time you tried to print - delete these files.

Browse to Start -> Run... and type in "NET START SPOOLER" (this will restart the print spooler service)

Double click the printer icon in the lower-right corner of your taskbar to examine your print job queue and browse to View -> Refresh.

Voila :) You should see that annoying hung print job finally disappear completely and you should now be able to resume printing without having to restart your computer.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Thanks alot!

Angry and fed up for a few hours and this saved me!

Thanks once again!
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:09 AM
  • This is a great fix for a home user, but not in a networked environment with a dozen people printing to the same printer. We've been having this issue for a while now in our office and I'm frustratingly clueless.

Clearing up a print queue is not a problem but we need a solution to prevent it from happening again and again. I can't keep going to each machine to go through all these steps.

Our environment has a mix of Vista and XP machines and what's strange is when a Vista user has printed job, it will not delete from the queue which prevents any others from printing. Then what's really weird is a different user, who can have an XP machine, will not be able to print to the same printer either and we DO NOT even use a print server; we print directly to ip.

I've tried disabling AutoTuning, unchecking SNMP in the port settings for the printer, verified it had the latest Vista driver, etc, etc,  ad naseum...

I'd love to hear about any permanent fixes to this issue.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

updating the core spooler components and installing the latest drivers is all what you can do.If the problem still reoccurs after that a spooler dump from the time of the problem is needed to find out the cause of the problem.

This means you will need professional support.You should open a support case at microsoft if the problem affects your production.

Regrads,
    Cengiz Kuskaya

EDU
    Monday, July 06, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Thanks Cengiz, but I'm not familiar with "updating the core spooler components". Also, how can I capture a spooler dump? Can you please elaborate on that?

Yes, I'm about to open a paid M$ ticket on this. I feel I've tried everything else.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Hi,

you should search in Microsoft Knowledgebase for the latest versions of the following components.Compare the versions with your own.You can ignore the kb article description.If a newer version is available you should install the hotfix.

Core Spooler Components

localspl.dll > Local Print Provider
    win32spl.dll > Remote Print Provider
    spoolss.dll > Spooler Router
    spoolsv.exe > Spooler Service
    unidrv.dll > MS Universal Printer Driver.Most of the 3rd party printer drivers are working in conjunction with unidrv.dll

If the problem still reoccurs after updating your 3rd party driver and the core spooler components you should create a full user mode dump from the spooler service.

First install Debugging tools for Windows to capture a full user mode dump.

Debugging Tools for Windows - Overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

Install Debugging Tools for Windows 32-bit Version
    Download page for the latest 32-bit packages.
     Install Debugging Tools for Windows 64-bit Versions
    Download page for the latest 64-bit packages.

After that you should wait till the Problem reoccurs.As soon as the problem reoccurs you should create a dump as follows.

Step 1 >> create a folder named “temp” under c:\
    Step 2 >> open command prompt and type the following commands
    Step 3 >> cd "C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)" >>You should navigate to the "Debugging Tools for Windows" folder.If you install the x64 version the name of the folder is ""Debugging Tools for Windows".
    Step 4 >> cscript /h:wscript  >> Change the default script engine
    Step 5 >> adplus.vbs -hang -quiet -pn spoolsv.exe -o c:\temp

As soon as you apply step 5 the debugger will create a *.dmp file under the C:\temp folder.

After that the dump should be analysed.

Regards,
    Cengiz Kuskaya

Notify: If the problem mostly occurs with Lexmark printer drivers.This problem is known at Lexmark as "ThrowDriverException".

EDU

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Thanks Cengiz. I will check this out.
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:09 PM
  • It looks like that someone has removed my last entry.I hope you have copied it ?

Regards,
    Cengiz Kuskaya

EDU
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:32 PM
  • After a reboot I am able to print one job.  That job just hangs in the queue "deleting".  I have a bat file that I got from this forum that performs the delete of the print jobs just fine.  I run it as administrator and the bat file is successful. Now the print queue shows 0 jobs and the Printers folder is empty.  I go to print and the new print jobs hangs up just as before with status of printing, but does not print.

Has anyone been successful with this process?  Another very frustrated MS user. 
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:47 PM
  • i waana doona job in microsoft .what i have to do

Friday, August 07, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Hi,

the problem seems to be a caused by a faulty lexmark printer driver.The forum members have mentioned only some temporary workarounds.To proof this problem a full user mode spooler dump is needed but this cannot be done in a forum.

You should open a support request at MS.The problem is known at lexmark as far as I know.If you open a support request at Lexmark with the keyword "ThrowDriverException" they know what to do.

They will provide you a workaround or a new fixed printer driver.

Regards,
    Cengiz Kuskaya
    EDU
    Friday, August 07, 2009 7:41 AM
  • heyyy...you are the best man
    i've tried so many things which ddnt work until i reached your solution
    finally IT WORKS!!!
    thank you
    regards
    architect hadeel
    Friday, August 07, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Hi arhitect,

please kindly provide us more information about your solution and steps so other users can also benefit from this thread.

Regards,
    Cengiz Kuskaya

EDU
    Friday, August 07, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Thanks R. Thompson. It really worked!
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Markxs is on the money! Thanks for sharing.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:27 PM
  • Thank you so much.  This has solved my problem.  I will keep it in mind for futher reference.
    Kathy
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:26 PM
  • Works perfect thank you so much.
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 12:35 PM
  • I found an alternate solution that worked perfectly on my laptop and the Lexmark x6150.  Please note that this means disabling a security feature in Vista. 

Turned User Account Control off

Open Printer Properties and click on Advanced

Click on Print Processor

Change the printer's processor to RAW

I'm not sure which of the steps above actually solved the problem, but I do not want to experiment more since it is working now.  I ran several test documents and each time the job was cleared.  I hope that this will work for others out there.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:26 PM
  • This also worked in Windows 7. Thanks for the information, it will save me much further frustration.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:46 PM
  • The computer connected Locally
    There is only one computer
    It run on XP
    The pPrinter is HP Deskjet 6122 USB
    My problem is since I downloaded Betta my printer setting changed to Memo Print and no matter what I did I could not cancel it from print job and my printer would not print. I had important documents to print out and I had to cancel Betta.
    These are the exact issues I was having:
     Cancel does nothingDelete does nothing.    Stopping the spooler via services does nothingPowering off the printer then re-powering does nothingRebooting does nothing.    After everything...still...."1 document pending".  
    I want to download Betta again but I need to know how to resolve the printing issues before I do.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 4:22 PM
  • Thanks R. Thompson and Kompooter you are correct it does work in Win 7. I have had this problem too long to count, with XP and Vista. Again it occurred in Win 7, which I was surprise that it wasn't fixed. I found that it is easy to correct in Win 7 thanks to Thompson's lead. For those who have installed Win 7 here is how I resolved it:
    Control Panel
    Systems and Security, Find and Fix a Problem
    Hardware and Sound, Use a Printer
    This opens a troubleshooting dialog box, click next
    and the spooling problem gone and the doc in the queue printed.

Without the ideas presented here, I was trying everything and getting nowhere. If this is a spooling problem why wasn't it fix in Win 7 or even in Vista.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 3:24 AM
  • Brilliant I have been trying for days to sort this out and with the end task process added - worked beatifully - thankyou
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:11 PM
  • I have HP D1600 with XP.  Go to printers, properties, advanced.  Uncheck send documents to print spooler- check print directly to printer.  The damn spooling can be bypassed!!
    Hallelujah!!!!  I had the same problem on an old Lexmark  Oh yes, it works!
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Genius!!!!!  Thank you!!  This is only thing that has actually worked!!!!!
    Friday, December 11, 2009 1:36 AM
  • Thanks for the tip on restarting the print spooler service! I did not read all the way through but saw the info for vista and used it for XP. Just click start/run and type services.msc and restart the print spooler.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Well, I have come up with a .bat...
    The "ping" commands is just to be sure that everything has time to complete (an alternative to the sleep command)...
    Everytime I get a stuck job, just run the .bat and I can print again....
    I tried the "trash the printer", but don't wanna spend the money on another one.... besides the scanner works flawless...
    Here goes the .bat...

echo -------------- Start ----------------
    sc stop spooler
    ping localhost -n 2
    sc stop lxbk_device
    ping localhost -n 2
    taskkill /im lxbk* /f /t
    ping localhost -n 2
    del /q c:\Windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*
    ping localhost -n 2

sc start lxbk_device
    ping localhost -n 2
    sc start spooler
    echo ...............End...........
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 2:20 AM
  • bump

Pretty much what he said.  From windows XP(actually windows 95, but who's counting) to windows 7 printing has never worked worth a ____.  I used to be a lower level admin, so I've used a number of different systems.  Off the top of my head I can say for sure some dell laptops and desktops from work.  Personally I use Toshiba,(3 different models), and also I've used Hp back in the day.  For printers, I've used canon, hp, lexmark... probably a few more, ranging from deskjet to laserjet. 

Print jobs ALWAYS get stuck in the print queue.  There is a way to manually fix this, but I thought that was the purpose of GUI software to make things work at the click of a mouse.  Instead I have to open a command windows, or go through services, shut down the spooler, etc etc etc.  I mean, would it honestly be that hard for the programmers to just put a button on the print window that says "Shut down all the ____ and restart it all because it isn't working correctly" since it happens so often and all.

I mean let me make a quick analogy.  I draw lines in mspaint (I actually have other graphic software, but again who's counting).  It's really tedious to draw it pixel by pixel or to try to keep a straight line with the mouse.  So there is a function that draws a line between any two points.  Wow, amazing!
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:22 PM

1) Go to Control Panel

Thank You so much!! You just saved me so much money from not having to call Geek Squad!! Thanks again...You are a GENIUS!!!
    Friday, December 25, 2009 6:58 PM

1) Go to Control Panel

This worked like a charm for my HP C6380 printer (using Vista). Thank you!!!
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 7:39 PM

1) Go to Control Panel

This works on my HP F2280 printer. Never had this problem with my other printer which does a lot more work. This is a Brother HL 2030.
    Seems to be a Microsoft issue rather than a printer manufacturer problem to me though.
    Thanks for your help.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 9:40 PM

1) Go to Control Panel

7) The "deleted" jobs will disappear and any queued jobs in your print queue will print.

Thank you R Thomson this really works. Simples when you know how I suppose!!!!!

Sunday, January 03, 2010 9:45 PM
  • To get to task manager, press and hold, Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys all at the same time and left click Start Task Manager option.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 9:50 PM
  • I found an alternate solution that worked perfectly on my laptop and the Lexmark x6150.  Please note that this means disabling a security feature in Vista. 

Turned User Account Control off

Open Printer Properties and click on Advanced

Click on Print Processor

Change the printer's processor to RAW

I'm not sure which of the steps above actually solved the problem, but I do not want to experiment more since it is working now.  I ran several test documents and each time the job was cleared.  I hope that this will work for others out there.

AtlasAF , Thank you SO MUCH.  I restarted the print spooler, then changed the printer's processor to RAW like you specified.  The only thing different I did was that I used the 'WinPrint' printer processor instead of the default Lexmark printer processor.  And I used the 'RAW' data type just as you mentioned.

Everything works great...my old printer (Lexmark 6150) is working great now and even seems to printer faster (time lag between documents)!!!!!!
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:42 PM
  • that is positively brilliant!  this method is the ONLY thing i can find that works................... AND I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO CALL SOMEONE IN BANGLADESH! 
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Thanks so much for this information.  It solved the problem.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 4:50 AM
  • Restarting the service did nothing for me, but going into the PRINTERS folder and deleting all the files there (I checked the dates to make sure they were corresponding to the stuck print jobs) did.

After that, I did a Refresh on the Printer Manager and the jobs disappeared.

John Bailo
    Monday, February 08, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Thanks R. Thompson  That did it! :-)
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:51 AM
  • THIS IS GREAT!  Thanks, RThompson!   After setting it read-only, the "deleting-printing" job started printing, so I restarted the spooler service again.

That took care of it..

Thanks VERY VERY MUCH!

:)

Pat
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 12:18 PM
  • After following these steps, it worked great. Thanks for the info. Dell wanted to chage me $200 for "software" contract
    just to diagnose this problem. I hope other people find this answer.

Thanks again.

Jose
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Hi.

I faced the same issues when trying to print a document from a wireless laptop. The solution I found was to follow R. Thomson's steps that he listed below, however, follow the steps on the computer that the printer is physically attached to. It worked for me after several frustrated attempts from my wireless laptop.

Here are a few other possible reasons that files may be getting stuck in the print que;

1. The size of the document is too large

2. Print preferences are set too high (should be 300 dpi or less)

Hope this helps you.

Faspa

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:01 AM
  • You are brilliant!  Thank you :)
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:50 PM

1) Go to Control Panel

7) The "deleted" jobs will disappear and any queued jobs in your print queue will print.

Thank you R Thomson this really works. Simples when you know how I suppose!!!!!

Thanks R. Thompson! Been having this type of trouble on Windows Vista Pro with a Lexmark printer for ages.  Finally neaded to crack it and your advice worked!
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:03 PM
  • This was exactly what worked for me.  My drivers worked fine when I was using Vista, but once I upgraded to windows 7 every document would hang in the spooler until turning the printer off and then back on.  Enabling bidirectional compatibility (as noted above) is what did it for me.  That's the only adjustment I had to make.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:14 PM
  • OK in Windows 7, even turning the printer on and off no longer works. Dell Computer,HP Printer all via a wireless network - now what do I do?

Monday, April 12, 2010 3:42 AM
  • OK in Windows 7, even turning the printer on and off no longer works. Dell Computer,HP Printer all via a wireless network - now what do I do?

Monday, April 12, 2010 3:42 AM

1) Go to Control Panel

This worked for me - thanks!
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:30 PM
  • I am on Windows 7 and I have the same issue.  I dont have System and Maintenance in my control panel, and I see no way to get to Administrative tools.  How do I fix this problem in windows 7?

Thanks.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:30 AM
  • You just saved my life...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :) :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 3:04 AM
  • THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! this is the only helpful answer i've found and it worked on the first try!!!
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:29 AM
  • The reply by R. Thompson worked after fixing a duplicated printer driver.

I cleared the spooler as indicated but it still wouldn't print.

After checking the printers folder there were two version of the printer driver, the main one (set to default) and a second one postfixed with "(copy 1)" in the name.

I deleted both sets of drivers. Unplugged the printer USB cable. Replugged the printer. Let Windows Vista search for and install the drivers again. Then everything worked fine and dandy.

Monday, May 31, 2010 4:47 AM
  • HP officejet 4215 driver, if the link you can use to download software.
    I wish you success
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 7:05 PM
  • You're a genius - sorted it right out. Thanks! :)

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 4:49 PM
  • i went to file

print

choose my printer

r. clicked on it.

choose run as administrator

choose cancel all documents

or r. click on your printer choice and the delete will show you the jobs in the q.

Friday, June 11, 2010 11:02 AM
  • thank you  sir, will try it to see if it works, dave g.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 3:23 AM
  • I have a Lexmark printer that I have had for a couple years and never any problem printing, then suddenly this happened. I couldn't delete the job that was indicated as "printing"; however, I could delete jobs that had been queued after that job. I went through the instructions to stop, clear, and restart the spool, and it happened all over again. I reloaded my printer software . . . and it happened again. I did notice, however, that when I went into the c:\windows\system32\spool\printer and clearing out all the documents in that file, ALL the documents were shockwave flash items. So, I went to Adobe, tested the shockwave player and it was not there . . . something happened to it. I downloaded it (it's free and took only a minute or two), rebooted (just for the heck of it), requeued my document (a test page to start) and everything is working just fine now.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:07 AM
  • The solution that worked for me (MS Office 7 os) and HP printer was to turn off printer and then turn off computer and remove the battery.  When I restarted both, the stuck print job was cleared. So much has changed with Officer 7 that I could not even find some of the locatons mentioned.  Please go step by step with solutions and don't assume you know how to get to windows/print spooler/ etc. 

I did not have this problem with XP or Vista. It started with Office 7.  However, since the Forum has been up and running since 2008, it is clear it is a MS os problem and not a printer problem.  Nothing helpful from the MS Moderator.  Surely MS should have a patch out for this.  Printing is a pretty basic function.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:34 PM
  • I wanted to also post this solution about the Lexmark 644e, a multi-function printer we use in the office.  I had searched the internet and spoke with Lexmark and no one could figure out how to solve this problem.  Once and a while the printer will have this issue where our faxes, which are supposed to all be forwarded to an email address get stuck in the print queue.  When you try to delete them from the cancel jobs button you cannot.  Although faxes can still be received and are in the MFP you can't get any of them and there is no way to delete them.

Solution:

Go to Configuration / Fax Settings / Analog Fax Settings

Under the Receive Fax Settings title, go to Fax Forwarding.  Change from the Forward option to the Print option.  Click Submit. 

Power down the MFP, wait 15 seconds and restart and your stuck faxes will Print.

Hope this helps someone out there, this took a while to figure out.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Thank you so much for this solution DoctorDew. I am 65 and not very good at this IT stuff and have been trying lots of the solutions on these pages but this one worked! 

Bluebell

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:00 AM
  • Good post - two years later and still nothing from these guys - I will look to another brand = Lexmark are trash

Thursday, July 01, 2010 1:13 AM
  • Thank you so much!!  Worked like a charm!  =)
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:53 AM
  • AtlasAF,

Thank you soooo much!  I had some issues with my HP wireless printer. Fix them to find out that a bunch of jobs just wouldn't clear the Queue.  I always turn off UAC and once i changed it to RAW it worked fine.  and best part, the printer Queue status cleared.  Great fix!

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:25 AM

1) Go to Control Panel

R.Thompson thank you! This is the only solution that actually worked for me.
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:31 PM
  • The above worked except I had to leave out System and Maintenance.  Thanks!  This saved me some time (lots) and agony!!

Friday, August 06, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Not taking the credit... but if you run a .BAT file with the commands...

The job is done in a few seconds, with ONE double click.

Here goes the .bat...

echo -------------- Start ----------------
    sc stop spooler
    ping localhost -n 2
    sc stop lxbk_device
    ping localhost -n 2
    taskkill /im lxbk* /f /t
    ping localhost -n 2
    del /q c:\Windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*
    ping localhost -n 2

sc start lxbk_device
    ping localhost -n 2
    sc start spooler
    echo ...............End...........

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Thanks.  WORKED PERFECTLY.
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:28 PM
  • THIS WORKED LIKE A CHARM FOR ME! JUST RESTART THE PRINTER SPOOLER. HAD DOCUMENTS THAT WERE"DELETING" BUT NEVER DID AND STOPED MY PRINTER.  ALL BETTER NOW!!!!!!
    Friday, August 27, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Thanks very much, this worked!
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 2:27 PM
  • i will be getting another computer. i don't know about the printing.

Saturday, September 04, 2010 12:59 PM
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!   &(&^^$&%*&    VISTA!!!!!

Once again, Vista has that little vein in my forehead throb with frustration!

These steps worked for me.

Monday, September 20, 2010 3:00 AM
  • Thank you so much. I tried to figure something out last night (got no where) and you saved my day R. Thompson!
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Worked on Windows 7 as well. So glad to find this. I feel like the person at the top of the page. The only way I could get around this was by uninstalling, then reinstalling.

I am having this issue with an HP D1660 deskjet. I also have a D7100 PhotoSmart that is connected to the same computer and there is never a problem with that one, just the 1660.

Hallelujah!

Friday, October 08, 2010 12:59 AM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you! Bet you didn't know this was going to live forever....
    LynnS
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 4:17 PM
  • Thank you!  
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:34 AM