none
Internet Connection Sharing not working after reboot (1703) RRS feed

• Question

• This has been reasonably well documented, but all threads I've found about it are MS reps saying to discuss this on Technet.

Since Windows 10 build 1703 (some people say 1607 but I can't verify this now), Internet Connection Sharing does not work after a reboot, until you go into the adaptor settings and manually disable and re-enable it. I've tried this with multiple machines, multiple adaptor types, and I get the same behaviour on everything running 1703.

Has anybody found a workaround for this? And if not, has there been any official word about a fix in the works?

Thanks.

• Edited by jtc42 Sunday, August 20, 2017 9:57 PM
    Sunday, August 20, 2017 9:36 PM

All replies

• Hi jtc42,

I find that lots of people have the same issue about disable and re-enable ICS after restart. And the issue seems occur after Windows 1607 and 1703 version.

Here is a workaround - you can schedule running a script each time the computer starts, which will disable and re-enable ICS on desired interfaces.

Please refer to the link below about Dmitriy Bykov and DeadlyMercury’s reply.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/ics-internet-connection-sharing-dosent-work-in/a203c90f-1214-4e5e-ae90-9832ae5ceb55

I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

Best regards,

Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:57 AM
  • Yesterday, I installed Connectify Hotspot Plus on my Windows 10 PC because I got tired of disabling and re-enabling Internet Connection Sharing, after every reboot.  Connectify Hotspot Plus is dynamite and works perfectly.  I definitely recommend Connectify Hotspot and Connectify Hotspot Plus.  I bought Connectify Hotspot Plus ($34.98), since I wanted to share wireless internet to wired ethernet client(s).  However, Connectify Hotspot (non-Plus) is free and shares wired internet to wireless.   It took too long for me to take this step.  I kept expecting a fix for Internet Connection Sharing.  Peter Guild
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 5:04 PM
  • What fixed this for me is resetting the windows defender firewall. After that it works like a charm again.
    • Proposed as answer by Deadl0ck12 Thursday, March 22, 2018 4:35 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 4:35 PM
  • Resetting the windows defender firewall is what fixed it for me. 

Thursday, March 22, 2018 4:36 PM
  • The proposed WORKAROUND is not working if the underlying internet connection is PPPoE. The API failed to enable sharing for the PPPoE connection. And workaround is, workaround anyway. We want a true fix.

I am using Windows 10 1803 (17134). I have to manually disable and re-enable sharing after every reboot to get ICS working.

Please fix it, Microsoft.

This is long lived bug that you never fix. See

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/ics-internet-connection-sharing-dosent-work-in/a203c90f-1214-4e5e-ae90-9832ae5ceb55

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 12:14 PM
  • Hey folks,

in the meantime the freeware tool cFosICS was released to manage Windows Internet Connection Sharing.
    It comes with additional commands to fix the Windows bug which may stop Internet Connection Sharing from working after a reboot.

See details here:
    https://www.cfos.de/en/cfosspeed/cfosics.htm

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 9:10 AM
  • For a fix for Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) doesn't work after a reboot in Windows 10 which is still applicable for even more recent versions of Windows 10:

To fix this issue, set the following registry subkey:

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedAccess
    Type: DWORD
    Setting: EnableRebootPersistConnection
    Value: 1

Then, change the ICS Service Startup mode to Automatic.

Friday, February 22, 2019 8:50 PM