none
wg311v3 driver does not start (code 10)

Question

• I have a PC with a netgear wg311v3 wireless PCI card.
    However, I can't get it to work

Initially (after the install of Win7), there was no driver at all (none on the disc), so I had no internet
    So I hooked up ethernet cable to my laptop & ran windows update over the shared internet connection (which works fine), and windows update successfully installed a driver for the card (with correct name etc).

However, the card does still not work, the device manager shows "device cannot start (code 10)".
    After browsing trough the internet, I found that previous builds of Win7 (before 7100) did work correctly with this card, and even had the driver on disk, but the current one doesn't for some reason.

Can someone provide me with the driver that was bundled with the previous Win7 builds and/or point to a driver that DOES work on Win7.

(btw, the card isn't broken, it works fine under other OS, so it is a Win7 problem)
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 11:30 AM

Answers

Initially (after the install of Win7), there was no driver at all (none on the disc), so I had no internet
    So I hooked up ethernet cable to my laptop & ran windows update over the shared internet connection (which works fine), and windows update successfully installed a driver for the card (with correct name etc).

However, the card does still not work, the device manager shows "device cannot start (code 10)".
    After browsing trough the internet, I found that previous builds of Win7 (before 7100) did work correctly with this card, and even had the driver on disk, but the current one doesn't for some reason.

Can someone provide me with the driver that was bundled with the previous Win7 builds and/or point to a driver that DOES work on Win7.

(btw, the card isn't broken, it works fine under other OS, so it is a Win7 problem)

I Just got my WG311v3 to work in windows x64 by installing the software package from netgear and the moving the card to a different PCI slot. When I restarted the computer the Netgear networking wizard would actually start and I have managed to connect without any problems.
    • Marked as answer by SaMcp1123 Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:59 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:37 PM

All replies

• MLM-NL,

Have you tried manually installing this older driver from the Netgear website?
    -Alex
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 4:50 PM

I Just got my WG311v3 to work in windows x64 by installing the software package from netgear and the moving the card to a different PCI slot. When I restarted the computer the Netgear networking wizard would actually start and I have managed to connect without any problems.
    • Marked as answer by SaMcp1123 Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:59 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Ok pretty much same problem for me also..

my Hardware...

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Mobo

Intel  Pentium Core2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz

PNY GeForce 8600GT 512MB DDR

4GB DDR2 PC5300

I wiped my drives and did a clean install as moving from temporary XP64 to my win7 Ultimate x64, then found out that my Belkin network card was not supported (Belkin F5D7000v6 - only v7 or v8 cards of this model supported)

so off I trot to my local computer store for an upgrade and I see the Netgear WG311v3 on the shelf with a sticker on the front proclaiming Win7 support (visit www.netgear.com/win7) now as I currently had no internet I had to go round a friends to make sure I got the latest drivers

I get home with said drivers stored safely on my USB stick, Uninstall the Belkin card, reboot and run the netgear program I downloaded round my friends. This then tells me to shut down and installl the card and then follow the on screen prompts when I restart. 

So having shut down, installed the card and restarted I am starting to wonder why nothing has happend. Going into deice manager I noticed that there was a yellow exclamtion over my network card, when I look to see what the problem is, I am greeted with the code "Device cannot start (Code10)"

having rootled around on the internet via my phone (thank god I have a HTC Desire) I came across many referrences to this issue with this and other makes of Wifi card, there were, however 2 common issues... either the driver was not signed, or the machine was running with 4gb of RAM.

Having read that some people had got cards working by dropping down to 2gb, I decided to give this a try.

Dropping to 2gb worked and I now have internet on my PC again - currently trying to work out how to get my other 2gb back in and keep the internet running.

I have heard mentioned a few times that the Code 10 is normally an IRQ error which suggests to me a conflict in IRQ address between the 2nd 2gb of RAM and the Wifi card but not sure how to get round this as yet. hope that is of some help.

just found this on the Netgear forum posted by a guy call bhear - will try it when I get home later tonight

Hi everyone. hope this one helps somebody out there.

just bought a Netgear WG311 v3 and tried to install it several times on Windows 7 32bit. first with the included CD drivers, then i went here on supportpage for
    WG311 and downloaded wg311v3_v5.0.0.5_setup.exe.

Always get the errorcode 10, (device didnt start.) begun to search on forums
    for issues about this and now its WORKING!

so here we go. first you have to find right driver and that should be
    wg311v3_3_1_setup.exe, NOT the one on the supportpage for WG311.
    try to google it and you will find.

1. Properties on wg311v3_3_1_setup.exe and select "compability" and choose "windows vista service pack 2" also checkbox "run as administrator".

2. Run wg311v3_3_1_setup.exe in my case 2times (first it will ask you to remove previosly drivers, then install the new ones.

3. reboot computer and when you enter windows you will be prompted
    "install uncertified drivers, select yes and trust driver"

4. now it should work! ive spent 6 hours for this.

Monday, July 12, 2010 1:11 PM
  • Kragen2179,

You are my hero.  It was utterly amazing.  The only differnce was that it took me four times of installing.  After the fourth time I was reading you entry again from my Laptop and then I looked up at my home computer and "low and behold", the Netgear wizard was there.  I almost gave up, so thank you very very much.

Bests

Esecman

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:14 PM
  • i had the same problem as you and everyone else so i try to download and use wg311v3_3_1_setup.exe that i downloaded from the netgear website.  so i uninstall the other versions i was trying to use and use this wg311v3_3_1_setup  but it doesnt  prompt me to install uncertified drivers.  how do i install uncertified drivers without relying on the computer to ask me to?

also i tried putting the card itself into a different slot and it does start installing driver software but it always fails.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:31 PM
  • thanks alot

u r my hero

Friday, March 25, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Just used the same method proposed here by Kragen2179 to get this card functional on a Dell Windows 10 machine in 2017.  I'm altering his method just slightly to detail the process for Windows 10.

Bought a Netgear WG311v3 and tried to install it several times on Windows 10 32bit using the drivers on the support page for WG311v3 and downloaded wg311v3_v5.0.0.5_setup.exe. 

It would always produce errorcode 10, (device didn't start.) And the Smart Wizard for setting up the wireless card would not open under any compatibility settings.

Solution: First you have to find right driver and that should be 
    wg311v3_3_1_setup.exe. This is NOT the one on the support page for WG311v3. 
    On Google I found http://www.network-drivers.com/drivers/1722/1722365.htm , and provided you avoid the advertising downloads, it easily provided wg311v3_3_1_setup.exe .

1. Go to properties on the file wg311v3_3_1_setup.exe and select "compability" and choose "windows vista service pack 2" also checkbox "run as administrator". 

2. Run wg311v3_3_1_setup.exe,  possibly twice since if you installed other drivers first, it will have to uninstall them before these will be installed. 

3. Reboot the computer, you will be prompted with a warning to
    "install uncertified drivers, select yes and trust driver"

4.  Now the Smart Wizard is functioning and all is well.  What's also interesting, is that upon rebooting, the Windows 10 native drivers seemed to take over and function, until I reopened the Smart Wizard program from Netgear.  I don't care which one works, provided it works.

Many thanks to Kragen2179 for finding this solution.  My only other option was crawling around the basement to run cable and learn how to properly splice R-45 ends, which I have now, but its a pain.   

Saturday, October 28, 2017 2:11 PM