none
No Windows Media Player 12 on Win7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Windows Media player 12 was not installed on Windows 7 Home Premium N, how do I get it now?

I get an error message when trying to install WMP11 instead.

Is there somewhere I can get WMP12 seperate? Should this already already come along with the Win7 I paid for?

Regards
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:03 PM

Answers

• Hello Deurdy,

Like the previous versions of Windows, an N version Windows 7, which does not come with Windows Media center/Player, has been released in Europe, but only for sale directly from Microsoft sales websites and select others. If you need to use the Windows Media center/Player, you might try downloading and installing the software from the following hyperlink

Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N and Windows 7 KN (KB968211)

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:12 AM

All replies

• No, Windows Media Player 12 does not come with Home Premium N because then that would just be Home Premium, not "N". :)

You want to download the Media Feature Pack:
    * http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968211

Any particular reason why you were using N if you wanted the player?  I'm just friendly-curious, since I prefer you *not* to be frustrated and that seems like a source of frustration. :(
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:42 AM
  • Hello Deurdy,

Like the previous versions of Windows, an N version Windows 7, which does not come with Windows Media center/Player, has been released in Europe, but only for sale directly from Microsoft sales websites and select others. If you need to use the Windows Media center/Player, you might try downloading and installing the software from the following hyperlink

Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N and Windows 7 KN (KB968211)

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:12 AM
  • The was no specifiec reason why I got Home Premium N.
    When I did the compatibility check from Microsoft, this was the version of Windows 7 that was suggested as compatible, and as such I bought and downloaded that one from the Microsoft website.
    I had no idea that N would be without Media Player, and also did not get any other suggestions to purchase.

Thanks for the responses.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:29 AM
  • If you are in Europe or other EU country, the N version is the only one you can purchase which is missing on purpose bundled apps like IE and WMP because of a lawsuit from the EU, which claims the apps had a monopoly on their respective markets because they were bundled in windows.

- JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Space | ----- | Contact me | 'Gadget' programs
    • Edited by JoelbX Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:27 PM edit sig
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Yah...make sure to Thank the EU for their "insightful" decisions concerning MS products.../insert extreme sarcasm here

I think it's ludicrous to push things like this on ANY company, not just MS. If your company has a product, you should be able to develop it as you see fit and MS should be able to have it's apps as a part of the OS as they see fit.
    Too allow users to install other apps to replace these MS apps as they see fit, then the ability to easily change the default app is all that's required to satisfy this..."issue" with bundling MS apps in Windows. Then users who actually want to use a different app can do so, but removing the entire app itself..that's no damn solution!

I think this has gone way overboard in the EU (and other countries it seems), most Windows users simply want an easy way to do all the stuff they like to do, and MS had the apps in Windows to allow them to do this. The vast majority of users are not techhie (like us) and aren't familiar with the alternatives, how to get one, or even how to install and configure one either, nor do they WANT to! All this has done is to complicate things for many users...just like it has for you, unfortunately.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:46 AM
  • i couldnt find it on mine i have widows 7 premium found it in gadgets i live in australia
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:34 AM