none
Spooler SubSystem App

Question

• I am running a test PC with XP Pro SP2 upgraded to Vista Business V6.0. This computer is connected to a domain which is running Windows Server 2003. The print server is also running 2003. All other PC's on the network are currently running XP Pro SP2.

For the first three weeks I had three printers installed on my Vista PC over the network, all of which worked fine when I printed to them. Now the print spooler crashes after startup, message states 'Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed'. I restart the service and within 5 minutes it happens again.

Eventvwr error message states: '

Faulting application spoolsv.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b734, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000af1c9, process id 0xd8c, application start time 0x01c72fa78291efe3.'

I have not installed any software on the PC since the upgrade. The printers on the network are all Kyocera printers and the drivers for these printers have been included in Vista since RC1.

Please help........

Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:39 AM

All replies

•  Sorry about stupid name but every one I tried was taken so got teed off and did random name.

I have done exactly the same upgrade from XP Pro SP2 to Vista Business as supplied in Microsoft action pack, we have all our printers on the network (HP4050's HPLJ5's and OKI C5250) when Vista starts it reports a spooler subsystem app has stopped responding. If i try and add a printer get error print spooler not running this has occured since installing Vista, all other users are on XP SP2 with no printing problems.

I have restarted the print spooler manually but as soon as you try adding a printer either locally or from network the spooler subsystem error recurs, I have used the send error to Microsoft to check for fixes but it comes back with nothing found check back later!

I have searched the internet but no fixes appear, until I can get the printers working rolling the upgrade to other machines is stalled, anybody got any ideas.

• Proposed as answer by ORV SR Monday, November 30, 2009 9:16 PM
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:59 AM
  • Same problem. I have an HP LaserJet which gives me the error when attempting to install in Vista but I have an Epson on the same network which installed with no problem.
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 6:54 PM
  • I have now got all printers working, the only way I found to do it was to go back to windows XP remove all printers then perform the Vista upgrade. Once Vista was running add printer brought up all my network printers and allowed them to be installed, so far no spooler problems. Maybe HP do something weird with the spooler, Vista upgrade advisor did say there might be problems with the HP printers, not that it would stuff all of them up, wouldn't even let the OKI install because the spooler would not run.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 3:49 PM
  • I am encountering this issue with about 5 Vista machines. On all of them the spooler crashes on startup. Sometimes I get the message, sometimes I don't.
    Friday, February 02, 2007 1:47 PM
  • I have ran into the same thing.  I tested heavly with Beta 1 and R2 and never had this problem.  Installed an upgrade from XP Pro SP2 to Windows Vista Business and can not connect a printer to a Server 2003.  The Microsoft support page is worthless on the subject.  Very disappointing experince.  Really makes we wnat to recommend it to anyone.
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 4:13 PM
  • I found that my issue was directly related to some 3rd party software. We use Desktop Authority to map drives, run scripts, etc. Well, I had a few to many instances of identical printers mapping. Once I eliminated the unecessary redundancy all the printers mapped correctly, and the spooler stopped crashing.
    Monday, February 05, 2007 12:39 PM
  •  

Same problem here, I had the problem with the RTM version and now with the full version.

I have a HP 1055 and a Canon 3220. The printer spooler repeatedly crashes. It puzzles we that this happens. Its seems that Microsoft should know how to write Vista to handle an xp driver properly as the xp software was written by them and its been around awhile. Even if they had to have an emulation mode. I see that the is xp service pack 2 mode for running applications. Is there some way to do the same thing for printing. Does printing function in compatability mode when a program is run in compatibility mode? Once this problem is solved I'm going to buy 11 copies of vista.

Monday, February 05, 2007 6:50 PM
  • I have the same exact issue here on my network. I really hope there is a quick resolution to this.
    Monday, February 05, 2007 7:54 PM
  •  

I upgraded my HP laptop from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate.  I never had any printers connected to this laptop and I get the same message whenever I start up.  I have no software installed other than Office 2007 and maybe a few versions of QuickBooks.

Has anyone found a solution?

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 1:49 PM
  • Same problem here - 1 HP ColorLaserjet 2600 directly connected via Ethernet, 1 HP LaserJet 1020 connected at another workstation. Even not possible to install the printer driver.
    Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:20 PM
  • I'm having the same spooler problem... the service keeps stopping. My PC is a brand new Dell with Vista pre-installed, so no upgrade issues are present. I initially tried to hook this printer up as local but HP doesn't have a Vista driver available. So connected it to an XP Pro machine and shared it. It worked for a while when I first added it as a network printer after I restarted the spooler service. But my user accidently deleted it this morning and now it won't work at all after adding it back. Is this happening because the driver's incompatable?
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 5:46 PM
  • I thought I was experiencing the same issue that everyone has reported here, I'd attempt to add an HP 4550DN and after Windows would ask me to name it, it would freak out and say the name already existed and to use a different one.  I'd then go back and try another and get a printer spooler is not running error.  So once I repeated this process with 4 different names and going back and manually restarting the service (turns out the service panel didn't know that the spooler service had stopped, as it said nothing but wouldn't let me start it without going into the properties for the service).  Once I decided to give up, I closed the wizard and re-started the service and went to my printers panel to find, lo and behold, all my different names for the printer!  The darned thing had installed them, but didn't know it!

MyCat8it, I had tried running ultimate upgrade on my laptop previously before I blew it away due to the problems the upgrade was experiencing.   Rest assured though, this isn't an upgrade issue ;)  This is a printer driver interaction with Vista issue.

Friday, February 09, 2007 2:55 PM
  • I am having the same problem... event name:  APPCRASH every time I attempt to start the spooler service.  If anyone finds a solution please let me know!!!
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 7:07 PM
  • This is just not right!

its Microsoft with Microsoft and it fails to work

well done Microsoft (!)  Job well done with Vista....

Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:21 AM
  •  

Did a clean install with VISTA Business -- Twice --  and have the same problem occurring.  Spooler subsystem crashes repeatedly.  I have to restart the service 3-5 times before I can print the job or convert a doc to PDF.

Early on was having issues when I logged on to domain.  Message was:  "Trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed."  Wondering if the two issues aren't related...  I'm printint to a network resource on a MS server 2003 box.

Not so patiently waiting for MS to recognize this issue and deal with it.  Printing is pretty basic stuff.  What did they change between RC1 and the release???

Good Luck to all -- -- I'm calling MS Professional Team today.

Gary

Thursday, February 15, 2007 2:19 PM
  • I have tried this solution and so far it seems to work.  Not developed by me so I won't take credit.  The only glitch with it is the installed local printers don't show up in the printers folders but do show in the drop-down list for the various applications. 

No more printer spooler crashes -- --

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a intranet are local.

Take Care -- -- Gary
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 3:21 PM
  • It took me awhile to figure out how to fix this, but I managed to get it going.

Now, first go to your services and make sure the "print spooler" is "started." If not, then start it.

Next, delete your printer from your available printers list. If you have print jobs spooled, you may have to reboot your computer before continuing as your printer will not delete. Once rebooted, delete your printer. Now, to be safe, reboot one more time.

Once rebooted and/or once printer is deleted from your list, go back to your printer settings where it shows where your printers are, the same location where you just deleted your printer (Start-->Settings-->Printers). Right click with your mouse, and click on the last option, "Server Properties."

Once open, click on the "Drivers" tab. Find the driver for your printer in the list. Click the driver in the list one time to highlight it. Then click the "Remove" button.

Reboot your computer.

Once your system is rebooted, go back to Programs-->Settings-->Printers and this time add your printer. When you click "Add Local Printer," make sure to choose what port your printer is connected to. I use USB, but others may use LPT1, a network port, etc. You will then be prompted to install a driver for your printer.

If you already have your driver as a .inf, skip this paragraph:
    (Go to the website of your printer manufacturer, and download the latest driver. The driver will most likely be in a compressed .exe file. Extract this file (using a program such as WinRAR. The extracted file/files may be in the form of another compressed .exe file. Extract that. All your .inf driver files [2000,XP,etc] should be found in all the extracted files. From my own experience, the XP driver usually works in Vista).

When instructed to install your driver, browse to the location of your driver (.inf) and open it. Your printer will install. It will then prompt you to print a test page. Do that to make sure your printer is spooling properly.

end.

NOTE --> I noticed my print spooler stopped working after having done an update from Microsoft the other night. That update was particularly for my printer. When i tried to print something last night, nothing would print. Then I started getting the crash errors. From my own assumption, the update Microsoft provided was the Vista driver for my printer. I have since downgraded back to the XP driver and all is perfect.

I hope what I just listed here will work for you all too. i have done this procedure on several computers now with different printers and this technique has worked for all of them.

Good luck,
    Daniel W. Pegues

Saturday, February 17, 2007 8:43 PM
  • After making the following settings in Group Policy, my spooler service for all PC's in my Domain started working without fail. User Configuration> Administrative Templates> Control Panel>Printers> Browse the network to find printers: Enabled.

User Configuration> Administrative Templates> Control Panel>Printers> Point and Print Restrictions: Enabled. Check both: "Users can only point and print to machines in their forest." and  "Users can only point and print to these servers" then list the servers "domain\server" seperated by semi-colons ; ... Good luck

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:28 AM
  • Almost identical setup as you and the exact same problem. This started when i tried to print to a PDF. I previously had one local printer(USB) and one networked printer that worked fine. Now whenever I try to print anything I get the same faulting spoolsv.exe. I have tried the policy fixes but that didn't help. Anyone get any other suggestions? I will NOT be upgrading any other PCs in our domain if this is the kind of nightware i can expect.
    • Proposed as answer by Eric Crammer Tuesday, March 03, 2009 4:02 AM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:13 PM
  •  SBrown5000 wrote:

After making the following settings in Group Policy, my spooler service for all PC's in my Domain started working without fail. User Configuration> Administrative Templates> Control Panel>Printers> Browse the network to find printers: Enabled.

User Configuration> Administrative Templates> Control Panel>Printers> Point and Print Restrictions: Enabled. Check both: "Users can only point and print to machines in their forest." and  "Users can only point and print to these servers" then list the servers "domain\server" seperated by semi-colons ; ... Good luck

I tried your solution but unfortunately it didn't work.

I'm getting really crazy when I'm trying to print anything... :(

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:39 PM
  • i have the same problem !!  The crach blopck all network printer !!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:58 PM
  •  dwpegues wrote:

Now, first go to your services and make sure the "print spooler" is "started." If not, then start it.

Next, delete your printer from your available printers list. If you have print jobs spooled, you may have to reboot your computer before continuing as your printer will not delete. Once rebooted, delete your printer. Now, to be safe, reboot one more time.

Once rebooted and/or once printer is deleted from your list, go back to your printer settings where it shows where your printers are, the same location where you just deleted your printer (Start-->Settings-->Printers). Right click with your mouse, and click on the last option, "Server Properties."

Once open, click on the "Drivers" tab. Find the driver for your printer in the list. Click the driver in the list one time to highlight it. Then click the "Remove" button.

Hi - I've been trying this to remove some HP network printers that got automatically installed by logging onto our network.  I think these printers/drivers are causing my spooler crashes.  However, I can't keep the spooler service running even for 30 seconds to get the printers removed!  Every time I try to delete a driver or printer, it get the error that it can't be done when the spooler service isn't running.  This is just infuriating.  Nice job MS. 

Does anyone know how to remove printers or printer drivers in any other manner?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Try either clicking start and typing net stop spooler  then deleting them (you can use net start spooler to start it again), OR try rebooting into safe mode

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:33 PM
  • Well, I found a work around of sorts to delete the bad/conflicting printer drivers.

Move or delete the c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 folder.

Reboot.

(no spooler crashes at this point)

Go to Printers Folder in CP.  For me the printers were still listed there, but said "drivers need to be updated".  Spooler didn't crash, so I was able to select and delete all of the printers.

Then right clicked in the printers folder and went to server properties\drivers tab.  Selected and removed any remaining drivers.

Rebooted.

No errors. 

Installed the one network printer that I actually needed (Dell 5110cn Color Laser) manually and then updated to the Vista driver.

So far so good.

• Proposed as answer by innsomnia Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:42 PM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 8:26 PM
  • I have had the same problem; i have tried removing the printer drivers etc. A solution that worked for me was to uninstall a freeware PDF printer application.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:22 AM
  •  Pretzeldude wrote:

Well, I found a work around of sorts to delete the bad/conflicting printer drivers.

Reboot.

Go to Printers Folder in CP.  For me the printers were still listed there, but said "drivers need to be updated".  Spooler didn't crash, so I was able to select and delete all of the printers.

Then right clicked in the printers folder and went to server properties\drivers tab.  Selected and removed any remaining drivers.

Rebooted.

No errors. 

Installed the one network printer that I actually needed (Dell 5110cn Color Laser) manually and then updated to the Vista driver.

So far so good.

THANKS !!

WORK IT THIS TIPS !!

Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:30 AM
  • Quick work around to this problem, but first, my background:

My computer is a new vista home premium that came pre-installed.

My printer is an oki c5150n that does not have vista drivers, operating on a network.

When I first installed the oki, everything ran fine for almost a week (Wow!)

Then, started getting printer crash every time I'd print with message SubSpooler has encountered a problem and closed.

Tried the various solutions offered on this forum, but none worked.

What I have found is successful, though a pain, is to restart the print spooler after each print job.

It's easy enough to do:

Start>all programs>administrative tools>services

on the services, scroll down to Print Server and click on that.  There are several options to restart it. You may have a link in the upper corner of the services block whcih you may click on, or you may double click on the print spooler offering several more options, including "recovery" options to automatically restart (haven't tried those yet).

I copied the services icon onto my task bar for easy return to it.

One hopes Microsoft fixes this quickly. We have four computers and I'm not "upgrading" the others until we can print without jumping through hoops.

I look forward to a permanent fix.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:14 PM
  •  SchoolAdmin wrote:

I have had the same problem; i have tried removing the printer drivers etc. A solution that worked for me was to uninstall a freeware PDF printer application.

I had the same problem after ugrading from Win XP Pro to Vista Home Premium.  I had installed the freeware Pdf995 software a few weeks after installing Vista.  The problem developed then, but I didn't know what caused the problem.  All printers disappeared after the error message.  Using the quoted message as a clue, I tried to delete the PDF995 printer yesterday.  I couldn't keep the spooler loaded long enough to delete the Pdf995 printer.

I then used regedit and deleted every entry that included pdf995.

The problem was solved.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 9:10 PM
  • When I first installed the upgrade from XP Professional to Vista Business I had this problem. The suggestion to remove the freeware pdf programs worked. Both Primopdf and Nitropdf do not work in Vista but Cutepdf does. I now have all my printers plus Cutepdf and the problem has gone away. Thanks for the solution.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:23 AM
  • Ok guys I have a similar problem. 

Background first.

OKI C5150n printer setup with TCP/IP.

1 Windows ME desktop- old e-machine 1ghz processor

1 Windows 2000 laptop-IBM

1 Windows XP desktop-Clone

1 Windows Vista Ultimate desktop-Clone upgraded from Windows 2000

1 Windows Vista Premium laptop-HP 1 month old

1 Windows XP laptop-Systemax

Had a problem last week with printing on the Win ME desktop.  Spooler problem, didn't think anything of it.  Just reinstalled drivers.  Notepad worked correctly, but I think that there was still an error when trying to print from Broderbund Print Shop 15.  

Never noticed the problem with the other systems.  I know I printed with the Vista desktop all last week.

Today had problem with the HP laptop with Vista.  Spool error.   Thought the kids were doing something wrong so I took a look and I kept getting the spool error.  I could tell the laptop to print a page, would get the spool error, Printer properties would lock up.  Tell the laptop to reboot and the page would print.  I changed the printer settings to just send the print job to the printer, bypass the spool.  Printer has 32 MB buffer, so it should handle most jobs.  Prints fine.

Tested the Win ME desktop and now Broderbund prints fine. 

So I don't think it is a complete vista problem.  I used the same driver for the upgraded desktop that I used on the HP laptop. Besides, I think the problem was on the Win ME desktop too.

Anybody else notice the problems usually had either an HP or OKI in the setup?

BTW, If you don't like Microsoft or feel that it requires too much trouble to work on it then shut up and start using Linux, because that will not ever give you a headache.

Kevin

Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:19 PM
  • This almost worked. I was not able to delete the drivers from server properties \ drivers tab. The options to add \ remove were greyed out. So this did not work for me. Am I suppose to be connected to my domain when in the server properties? Also, you say to delete or move the folder, well are you suppose to move it back? I wasn't able to do any thing unless I did. And I agree with many of you, this vista thing is a crock. I am ready to throw in the towel..... problem after problem. I want to send my machine back and have them (Dell) put XP on it. The downgrade would be worth it. Too much of my time has been spent trying to make vista work with stuff. I'm fed up... It's been over thirty days, and countless hours.. and my machine still does not work. Microsoft sucks.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 3:25 AM
  • you never had any printers installed yet and it crashes? are you kidding?
    Friday, March 30, 2007 3:35 AM
  • I could kiss you! (Well, almost)
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:11 PM
  • I have a Hp Deskjet 710C and can do everything in the suggestions, except i have the same problem as swncmjr, the Add/Remove icons were greyed out in the Properties-->drivers tab.

My system is running Vista Business 64,
    Office 2003
    Adobe reader 8(had issues installing)

the printer works fine on a system with Win Xp 32

hope someone has a solution to both our problems
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 4:35 PM
  •  

Ok, for the lot of you the problem is your print driver. They are not compatible with vista. The drivers cause the registry entries to eventually corrupt. You will need to remove the print driver entries from the registry, restart, then add the appropriate vista print driver.

Start -> Programs-> Accessories-> run -> type regedit and hit ok

Select the folders HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> ControlSet001 -> Control -> Print -> ;Environments -> Windows NT x86 -> Drivers -> Version 3

Now delete any folder entries related to the print driver you previously installed.

Now instead of Environments click on the Printers folder and remove the offending printer folder entries from here as well.

Exit the editor.

Restart.

The spooler problem should be gone and the offending print drivers gone from Printers and Faxes including server properties.

Now find a compatible print driver then add it.

I applied this to two vista buisness computers without going  into safe mode and both are fixed.

Good luck.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 1:43 AM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with the printing and the trust failing.

If you get a fix from microsoft can you please help!

Thursday, May 03, 2007 8:36 AM
  •  Pretzeldude wrote:

Well, I found a work around of sorts to delete the bad/conflicting printer drivers.

Reboot.

Go to Printers Folder in CP. For me the printers were still listed there, but said "drivers need to be updated". Spooler didn't crash, so I was able to select and delete all of the printers.

Then right clicked in the printers folder and went to server properties\drivers tab. Selected and removed any remaining drivers.

Rebooted.

No errors.

So far so good.

It worked for me, I  did mostly as you said, moved that w32x86 folder,  my printer removed and then restarted the computer. I then simply installed the updated drivers and software from my printers manufacturer and so far it has worked for me.
    Sunday, May 06, 2007 4:58 AM
  • i am running Windows Vista Ultimate and my printer is Epson Stylus CX5400.i tried that method but it still isnt working and i am getting the same error message:

Spooler SubSystem App has stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: spoolsv.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549b734

Fault Module Name: localspl.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bcf7

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00070a15

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 8d13

Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Additional Information 3: 8d13

Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Monday, May 07, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Gary - thank you so much - I have been trying to solve this problem for MONTHS.
    Monday, May 14, 2007 5:39 PM
  • yais

acoording to the Epson site, you are not suppose to run your print driver setup program on your cd in a vista computer. Apparently the setup software is incompatible. Follow the steps I outlined in my other post above and go to the Epson website to download and install a vista compatible version of your print driver. If the method above does not work, you may need to restore your computers factory settings, and then install the new driver.

Monday, May 14, 2007 7:09 PM
  • This worked great for me. The key was removing the old driver which I think was for XP. When reinstalling I used the Vista driver from printer mfgr and worked like a champ.
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:12 PM
  •  

I was having the same issue with my network of nine networked printers and one local printer. Once I updated the drivers for all of them, I was still getting the spooler error.

I then went into the properties of the local printer, connected via usb, and changed the spooler setting to have it print directly to the printer. No spooler, no problems since.

Hope this is helpful to someone. You guys are always helpful somewhere. 

Friday, August 10, 2007 9:17 PM
  • Hi,

it looks like the spooler is crashing because of incompatible printer diver.Delete all queues and after that right click the print server properties and remove all 3 rd party drivers.

You can use one of the MS In-Box Printer drivers from the same series wich is shipped with the OS.Hope it will help !

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:40 PM
  • My problem was caused by a corrupted entry in the spool queue.  It's a good thing I wrote a simple operating system in school over 25 years ago -- I couldn't find anything online suggesting that as a cause of the APPCRASH.  Fortunately, it popped into my mind -- and that was the problem.

-Open up c:\windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS  (or wherever you keep your system32 direc).

-Delete the contents of the directory (not the directory itself).

-Retart the print spooler service.  Easiest way: Start-->Run and enter "services.msc" w/o the quotes.  Right click on Print Spooler and select start.  If the problem was a corrupted spool queue, spoolsv.exe should stay up.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:46 PM
  • You can try these below steps:

* Turn off your printer

* Remove the existing printer.

* Reload the printer drivers from ("Add a printer") (or) by installing the drivers for the printer from the printer website (or) the CD which was provided to you by the printer manufacturer.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:27 PM
  •  

Hey, I'm also having problems with a HP Laserjet 1020. It was printing just fine and then after a few hours I went to print some more before getting this error. Now everytime I turn on the comptuer the error comes up.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:23 PM
  • I don't usually play in the registry- but so glad I did- I must have spent hours on this one- thanks for the fix!!

Monique

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 7:07 PM
  • I have the same problem.  I have a Kodak easyshare printer and until I loaded my Laxmark, all was well.  As soon as I loaded my printer/scanner, spooler issues arose.  I've tried everything, and now, I'm debating, using my start up disk and starting from scratch!  This is ridiculous!  I'm starting to hate vista!  Any ideas?

Friday, September 14, 2007 11:44 PM
  •  

Ok . let me try and give you guys a hint here.     Look at the data the app crashere with. You will find a file probably a .dll file thats is the culprit.  You need to delete this file. It will be in the registry but the or the system32 printers folder.  Easiest way to do it is do a full search for it including hidden files and then delete the bugger.

This is because Vista and and many xp print drivers don't work.   Some of these other solutions may help but in my case the spooler service kept dropping every time I try to add a printer or delete a printer.  Even if you delete all your printers there will still be older .dll 's  aroung inthe the system.  Find the the one that makes the spooler crash and you have cracked it.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:36 PM
  • I got it working by uninstalling all printers, removing all driver bits and pieces and reinstalleing printers. This is a tough one

Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:16 AM
  • It seems that irrespective of whether computers are upgraded from XP SP2, or a fresh Vista installation, on a network; peer to peer or domain, this same problem persists.  I have tried them all and it occurs whether under an Administrator or Limited User account.  There have been enough reports on this problem on this forum and others therefore there seems little that can be done until Microsoft provide a formal fix.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:49 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you!  This worked like a charm in my case.  Wasn't having much luck elsewhere. 

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:24 AM
  • I did the workaround by renaming the drivers file and voila-no more spooler subsystem krapp. This is obviously a terrible problem and should qualify for an update fix. There was a similar problem that was addressed on 8/30/07, with a new localspl.dll file issued.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:07 AM
  • Make sure you see my post above about deleting a corrupted spool queue entry -- it's happened to me a couple of times now.  [I found a way to duplicate it: printing a picture to a PDF driver from Photosuite.]

Some of you are finding success by essentially reinstalling large parts of your system.  If the reason that works is b/c it deletes the spool queue, deleting a corrupted entry is a heck of a lot easier (20 seconds)!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:54 AM
  • Here is how I got rid of the spooler subsytem error on my laptop which I used to patch into my work's network.  The error occured after I installed the HP Laser Jet printer and a toshiba printer.  You may need to be connected to your network. Click on control panel, then click programs, then click turn windows features on or off, next click the + sign next to "print services," and select the boxes marked LPD and LPR.  If there is a check mark in the box labelled "Internet printing client" then unselect it.  Restart your computer and when you do you will see the error again.  Now you need to go back to the control panel and select "system and maintenance," scroll down and select "administrative tools," then double click "services" (select continue), scroll down until you see "print spooler" and the right click it and select properties. Here you can start or stop the printer spooler. keep this window open. Next I opened the control panel and selected printers.  You may not be able to see your printers at this point because of the spooler error. Now go back to your "print spooler" "properties" window (you my have to right click print spooler and select properties again) select start spooler (if only stop is available the select stop and then select start).  Return to the "printers" window and you should be able to see the printers available on the network.  At this point I deleted the Hp printer, I kept the tosiba printer, but I set my default to the "Microsoft XPS Document writer." I now toggle to the toshiba printer when I am patched into the network.  The spooler error is gone.  The HP may not have anything to do with it but I think setting the default  back to the XPS document helped.  However, you can't do much of anything print-wise unless you get rid of the spooler error.  Best of luck to all who try this tip! Oh and the spooler error is not a virus just a annoying glitch in the vista program!

Saturday, November 17, 2007 12:23 AM
  •  

mikeshtown's fix is fast and easy (and it works):

"My problem was caused by a corrupted entry in the spool queue.  It's a good thing I wrote a simple operating system in school over 25 years ago -- I couldn't find anything online suggesting that as a cause of the APPCRASH.  Fortunately, it popped into my mind -- and that was the problem.

-Open up c:\windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS  (or wherever you keep your system32 direc).

-Delete the contents of the directory (not the directory itself).

-Retart the print spooler service.  Easiest way: Start-->Run and enter "services.msc" w/o the quotes.  Right click on Print Spooler and select start.  If the problem was a corrupted spool queue, spoolsv.exe should stay up."

Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:54 PM
  • I am useing Windows Vista Home and i have Spooler Subsystem Error long time ago.

i tried to resolve but ther is no way and i report this masg to Microsoft and i didnt get any reply from them !!!!!!!

please please please help

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 5:23 AM
  • OH MY GOD! 

This worked.  In my Vista operating system (none of that tech acronym stuff for me...), the Print Spooler also included, IN THE UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER, two links:

Start Service
    Stop Service

I clicked Start Service and Lo! The Heavens Opened, and My Printer Doth Work Again!

Now, this is LIKELY premature celebration, but hey, this worked.  Big shout out to Mikeshtown's fix, babies...

WHY DOESN'T MICROSOFT ISSUE A FIX FOR THIS?????????  I PRINT A TON OF PICTURES AND WORD AND EXCEL FILES AND THIS WAS MADDENING, MADDENING I TELL YOU.  Sorry for the screaming, but DAMN this was annoying.  I'ts almost enough to drive one BACK TO APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, January 02, 2008 8:32 PM
  •  

WORKED immaculately !
    Many thanks for the perfect solution !

Saturday, January 05, 2008 1:28 PM
  •  

I am getting the same error with an IP Based printer where I have an IP Port configured to go directly to printer. It has been working for a few months all of a sudden is getting this same error code 0x0000000d and I cannot figure it out. Also, I tried other printers also connected to this computer and all have the same error.

There is no print server or computer sharing just direct IP Port configured.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:25 PM
  • I too have the recurring "spooler subsystem has stopped " and the printers do not appear on the PC unless I start the printers before booting the computer.

Friday, February 01, 2008 4:49 PM
  • I chased this error for a week without any luck. This fix worked immediately and just the way you described. After restarting a queued and waiting HP PS C6180 driver installation installed automatically without a glitch. I was also able to see that the troublemaker was a Toshiba Network Copier/Printer driver that jumped my Vista when I connected to a corporate network. I only had to sweep the entry in the Environments\Windows NT x86\Version 3 folder since there was no entry in the printers folder. 

This happened to my brand new HP 8510W Laptop actually before installing any printers, so the problem started without seeing any installed printers!

Thanks

Thursday, February 07, 2008 7:39 PM
  • I'm more concerned that this is now popping up on multiple machines on my home network. There must have been an update from MS that broke the spooler system.

Here is another place for an answer. It worked for me after using the very first post on the first page, and the first post on the second page.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1467190&SiteID=17

Does anyone know what the source of the problem is?

d.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 1:31 AM
  • All I can say is THANK-YOU! You have ended a miserable night for me. I hope you get to read this and know how much I appreciate your solution. Smile

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 4:13 AM
  •  bigjohn767 wrote:
    Same problem. I have an HP LaserJet which gives me the error when attempting to install in Vista
    What should I do....Is there any patch to be installed to install the printer in Vista. This printer was installed earlier in windows XP.
    Thursday, April 03, 2008 11:04 AM
  •  

I finally got my printers back!!!!! Here is how I did it;

1 go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS and delete all in this folder

2 go to windows\temp and delete all in this folder

3 restart

Viola!!! I got all back my printers back. Tested this with a customer with same problem and it worked there also!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:00 AM
  •  bigjohn767 wrote:
    Same problem. I have an HP LaserJet which gives me the error when attempting to install in Vista but I have an Epson on the same network which installed with no problem.

I too have this problem with my HP Deskjet all-in-one. Did you fix it? Of so, how?

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:28 PM
  •  Pretzeldude wrote:

Reboot.

Rebooted.

No errors. 

This fixed it, thanks!!!!!!

Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:38 PM
  • I have been running WindowsXP Professional with SP2 and I haven't had ANY problems UNTIL I copie over a Microsoft Office 2007 file to my system and THEN the Spooler Subsystem Applications roblems began and stopped ALL of my printing functions.

So, with this, I suggest looking inother areas for the cause of the problem. 

Now then, WHERE are the SOLUTIONS? 

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:51 PM
  • Thank you so much, I have been battling this issue for over a year, I had found some other quick fixes, but this has been the solution I've been looking for.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:57 PM
  • Have a Vista laptop with a XP desktop with HP printer could not print from laptop to desktop with wireless connection without getting spooler subsystem error.  After trying all of the above, went into windows firewall and turned it on(had it off since I have a firewall program installed) under the exemptions tab I found about 4-5 HP .exe files that were not checked.

So I checked off all the HP files saved and restarted. Been printing fine ever since.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, December 06, 2008 4:37 PM
  • I tried to delete the c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 folder with no luck. then this also worked for me but I didn't find it until I went into event viewer and located the first time the spool lost its mind. and low and behold I looked into the printers directory and shockwave had installed two files at the same exact time as the first incident , 00006 and 00006.SHD deleted those files and the print spooler service started without requiring a reboot + all my printers then started functioning again.

good luck as it appears there are many ways to fix this and it took three different ways that were listed in this thread for me to find/fix this thanks to all

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:04 AM
  • I had ths issue and found what appears to be a solution.  Go into Control Panel and start the Programs & Settings App.  Go to Turn Windows Features On & Off.  Go to the Printer System section and Turn on LPD and LPR.  Restart the computer and all should be well.

Hope this helps everyone.  Sorry I accidentally proposed an answer...I hit the wrong icon. .  :-)
    Eric
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Thank you ...Thank you... Thank you !!!  This worked like a charm and it was driving me insane.  Thank you for posting this.  Once the PC was rebooted I was able to readd the printer with the proper driver without issues.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 5:39 PM
  • thanks

Pretzeldude

your instructions on the printer spooler problem on my vista computer solved my frustration.

I tried googling the problem but always the suggestion was to buy a product or install some kind of program

Then I click on the google link to the microsoft technet. I did not know these kind of forums existed.

From now on I am going to these forums for help'

Again thanks for your simple solution.

thathelps
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:18 PM
  • Eric, thank you.

I am a non-tech person who like many, nevertheless has to use a computer for much of the day for business (and then chooses to use it for pleasure for much of the rest of the day).

When this issue popped up a few weeks ago on my partner's PC, our only solution was to transfer a file to a non-Vista laptop and print from there. I just got finished backing up the computer and re-installing the system. To be honest, it had to be done for other reasons also, but I was disappointed when the printer issue was not solved.

I don't even know what a Spooler SubSystem App is, so I was truly Stumbling Around In The Dark (SAITD) when I did a search and found this thread. Tried a few other things above that were unsuccessful, but your suggestion did the trick.

I'm so grateful for all of you who do this detective work, tinkering around until the thing starts up and runs, so to speak - and then you get online and post what worked for you so the rest of us SAITD could see your candle and give it a try.

You made my Sunday, thanks again.

Stumbling a little less
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:15 PM
  • We have been having this for a couple months now and it's extremely frustrating. We have a mixed Vista/XP environment and I think the problem is caused by the Vista machines.

It's very intermittant which makes it a nightmare to troubleshoot, but sometimes a Vista machine will print a job, but it doesn't delete out of the local queue. We print directly to ip btw; no print server. When the completed job stays in the queue nobody else can print to that printer OR they come out like 10 minutes later. There is no error about the print spooler service and no smoking gun in the event logs.

I've turned off Autotuning, snmp checkbox in the printer port properties and changed it from RAW to LPR and the latter seems it may be working but the problem is so widespread and random, its hard to say for sure yet.

Since we have about 50 Vista machines, is there a way to script the removal of all the printer drivers? I'm starting to lean towards an incompatible printer driver that got installed on Vista and that may be the cause of our major disdain.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Please see my post above concerning changing settings.  If this does not solve your problem, please reply back to this thread and I will try to assist you further.
    Eric
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:58 AM
  • Thanks Eric. I did enable the settings as you indicated.

I made the changes on my machine and it took almost 10 minutes to install and since my machine isn't one of the ones having the issue, I'm not sure this is the smoking gun I was looking for.

Its starting to look more and more like we may have printer driver issues and I may need to just come up with a way to delete all printers and drivers and make sure to install the correct Vista version.
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Not sure if you can script the removal for the printer drivers, but I would suggest that perhaps you take one Vista machine and do all the work you want done (ie remove the driveres and re-install.)  Have the other Vista users refrain from accessing the printer and see if the issue still occurs.  If you have no problems with the "updated" Vista machine, then you can go through the work of fixing the other 49 machine.  If your issue is being caused by something comletely unrelated, this approach will prevent you from doing a lot of un-neccessary work.

Just a thought.
    Eric
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Try this 32 bit fix. it works like a charm for 1020, 1018, 1022! Windows XP, Vista, and 7!

fix-hp-1020-print-spooler-subsystem-crash/

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:44 AM