none
Intel 5150 WiFi/WiMax Adapter doesnt work with 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried everything. I've spent hours on Intel's site, and let me just say that was an absoulte joke. You have to search deep into their search thing to find the windows 7 driver for it. Then it doesn't work.

I've been to Dell's website (I'm running a Dell Studio XPS 16) and I can download it, but then I get an error saying I cannot downgrade versions.

The computer recognizes the WiMax portion, but not as WiMax. It just says there is an error with "The WiMax adapter" but it doesn't actually know what it is. Same run around with the drivers in this case as well. The WiFi light on the front of the computer does not come on. My bluetooth one does, but not the WiFi. I've tried switching in on and off with no luck as well.

So far Intel and Microsoft, I'm not impressed. Looks like my desktop will be staying XP and it's a good thing I added this as a second OS to my laptop because it sure won't last long with me hunched under the desk like this to get internet. Can anyone help me out?
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 6:51 PM

Answers

• I have not had any luck with the Intel 5150 WiFi card either.  When the first one I bought didn't work I found a second one on eBay.  Installed it and it didn't work either.  I finally bought an Intel 5350 and it works fine.  I kept getting an error with the 5150 that it couldn't start.  I tried them in 2 different loptops.

It didn't work for me in either XP, Vista, or Win 7, so I don't think it's the OS.
    • Marked as answer by ryans-canyon Sunday, November 1, 2009 10:38 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 7:59 PM

All replies

• I have not had any luck with the Intel 5150 WiFi card either.  When the first one I bought didn't work I found a second one on eBay.  Installed it and it didn't work either.  I finally bought an Intel 5350 and it works fine.  I kept getting an error with the 5150 that it couldn't start.  I tried them in 2 different loptops.

It didn't work for me in either XP, Vista, or Win 7, so I don't think it's the OS.
    • Marked as answer by ryans-canyon Sunday, November 1, 2009 10:38 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 7:59 PM
  • Well it works in my vista OS, but I have been having some issues with it operating properly. Maybe that would explain my issues in vista, and the complete interoperability in 7. Looks like I'm upgrading my to the 5300! Thanks!
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 10:38 PM
  • ryans-canyon,
    Here is the Intel page. In the center if you scroll down you'll see the links for automatically update my drivers and Wi-Max software link. here. You may know that the wireless should work and Wi_max is per provider. You need both installed.

Uninstall anything from programs relating to the Wi-Max, the try installing both.
    Any luck?

By the way, why are you dumping on Win7? Dell has Win 7 drivers here (1640). If you put 5150 in the search box at the top of Intel's site it takes you support links.
     (10 seconds total, to get there and find) If you do some research and preparation before installing an OS, your time will spent using the new OS. Many drivers are found just by running Windows Update. The hardware vendors are responsible for providing drivers compatible with an OS.

So, download and install the Dell drivers and updates and the Intel drivers and all should work well.
    • Edited by Nano Warp Monday, November 2, 2009 1:15 AM added info.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 1:05 AM
  • Hi, Thanks for the reply Nano Warp. 
    Believe me, I have tried absolutely EVERYTHING to get my wifi card working. 
    Thank you for assuming that I didn't take the '10 seconds' to 'do my research and preparation' before installing 7. I have spent literally MONTHS trying to figure out what is wrong with this. Because you jumped to such a quick conclusion on a couple short posts from me, I'll explain it all and maybe, just maybe I can get it resolved.

July 09: Ordered my new oh-so-special laptop for college. I got it and aside from the occasional glitch, and my dislike toward vista (for reasons I won't go into now) it did what I needed except for the WiFi which has some SERIOUS issues. I spend hours on the phone and with Dell's live support trying to resolve it with no luck. Decided I would just suck it up, and hope to god I didn't lose/need internet when working on some of my assignments.

October 09: Got a hold of my very own copy of 7 and installed it in another partition on my HDD. It worked 100000X better than vista, except for the WiFi card, which it did not recognize. At all. I DID search Intel's website and downloaded, uninstalled, and reinstalled anything and everything I thought might just give me a shot at having WiFi in 7...currently the only reason I was still mainly using Vista was due to the lack of WiFi.

November 09: After WEEKS of searching for why I had no WiFi I posted this. I ordered my Intel 5300 card within the hour. Took several months and after placing three more orders with different companies I did get it ONE.

December 09: Windows Vista takes a complete and utter DUMP on me. I lost everything. School work, photos, emails. EVERYTHING. Thankfully, I had a trusty desktop running XP that I had *most* of my data backed up on.

January 2010: It's now winter break and I am between semesters. I REALLY need my laptop for internet use in my psych class for the second semester, as everything is done through the computer/internet. Tests, homework, assignment, etc. The Intel 5300 card did NOT work. At ALL. Went through the same process with the 5300 card. Even tried the second card that showed up at my door. Must have been one of the other two that I never received. Still nothing. Then again with the 5150 card. nothing. nada. squat. 

It is now nearing the end of March 2010...FIVE MONTHS after installing 7 and dealing with this Intel/7 driver issue with no luck. I've tried everything from Vista drivers, 7 drivers, contacting Dell, contacting Intel, posting on message boards, forums and everything short of dropping an ___LOAD of money into this computer to get something as simple as WiFi to work. Nothing. 

Currently, I am hassling and jumping between computers at home/school/library to stay on top of my psych class, and my less than a year old, $2,000 laptop is sitting in the corner collecting dust. So if you would like to say I'm dumping on 7, please let me know, and if you still feel I didn't take the '10 seconds total' to 'get there and find' what I was looking for, then by all means, let me know. At least this time you won't ASSUME, and make an ____ out of U and ME. Get it. Spells assume. ha-ha. funny funny.

If there was a "Vote as UNHELPFUL" button for your post. I WOULD HAVE PRESSED IT.

Thanks for your help,

Ryan (ryans-canyon)
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:17 AM
  • hi Ryan,
    Since Vista croaked, I would suggest a new clean install. The wi-fi problem should not have existed. No where did you say that you had a dual-boot installation.

I apologize if I insulted you, but it caused you to provide the necessary information. Thank you for your response.

You'll need a flash drive 4gb or larger.

First download all of the drivers from Dell. On the download page is a link for Driver installation order. Print that.

Then grab the dusty computer in the corner, plug in the power adapter and turn it on.

Run the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard and export your files to removable media. Old to new computer type. Uncheck programs and settings in advanced. You only want your data.

When done, run the Wizard again, like you are going to import old to new, and determine if it sees the files. If it does, cancel. The WET file is good.

If there is a wifi switch, make sure it is on.

Now insert the Win 7 dvd and reboot the computer.

Perform a custom-clean install. Be sure to choose look for updates later, as you won't have internet until after the install is complete.

Choose the OS, Vista partition, you can manage the partitions later. (Delete the old Win 7, create free space and add to the new installation)

Install the Dell drivers in the recommended order.

Try to create a wireless connection. It should work.

If yes, run Windows Update.

Install your anti-virus. Microsoft Security Essentials is free.

Import your data using Windows Easy Transfer.

Visit Microsoft for Silverlight, then JAVA, Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, Adobe Reader

Now, you should have the computer that you wanted with an investment of about 2 hours.

Post back with your result.
    • Edited by Nano Warp Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:37 AM edit text
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:35 AM
  • Those drivers don't work for me either.  I have the same problem as the above poster. I have a dell Precision M4400 and I purchased the Intel 5150 WiMax card, put it in, and I'm pretty sure the WiMax part of the card gets installed and works.  The WiFi portion however remains as an unknown device in device manager called "Network Controller", and the WiFi light remains off on my computer.  No matter what, I can't get the WiFi section of this card to function.  Anyone have any ideas? I've tried countless drivers from both Intel's website and the Dell site, although I can't even get the dell drivers to launch, it tells me my system isn't supported.. REALLY want to get this card working. Anyone have any ideas yet?
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Dell has drivers available for the M4400 \5150 WiMax here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W732&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=PREC_M4400&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False 

and also for Win 7 64-bit. I would suggest that you try those first as recommended by Intel.

There are also two versions of the card, that I am aware of that work in IBM & some HP computers and the other in Dell, Asus,Acer,Sony, Toshiba, etc.

The difference in the part # seems to be 512ANX HMW for Dell,etc. and 512ANX MMW  for IBM and HP. for the 5150. Check your part number.

Also, here is the Intel support page: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/5350-5150. Please note the product discontinuation statement at the top. This link from the main page may help: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-008168.htm

Your 5150 should work. Get the right ProSet\drivers installed.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Dell has drivers available for the M4400 \5150 WiMax here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W732&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=PREC_M4400&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False 

and also for Win 7 64-bit. I would suggest that you try those first as recommended by Intel.

There are also two versions of the card, that I am aware of that work in IBM & some HP computers and the other in Dell, Asus,Acer,Sony, Toshiba, etc.

The difference in the part # seems to be 512ANX HMW for Dell,etc. and 512ANX MMW  for IBM and HP. for the 5150. Check your part number.

Also, here is the Intel support page: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/5350-5150. Please note the product discontinuation statement at the top. This link from the main page may help: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-008168.htm

Your 5150 should work. Get the right ProSet\drivers installed.

That is not going to work either... I had this issue the very first time I installed Windows 7 and fixed it by calling DELL SUPPORT SERVICE... I really cant remember how I solved this... the problem is I just had to reinstall everything and the problem is back... 

I'll call Support and will post the fix here... hope they still know how.

Friday, August 20, 2010 9:11 PM
  • OK... one of my worst nightmares in support service happened yesterday. After 3 calls, 6 Dell support members and 2 hours the answer was: Warranty wont cover this situation... So frustraiting.

But after speaking to them I began to remember my whole case:

Dell Latitude E6500 arrived with XP from factory with an upgrade to Win 7. Made the upgrade to win 7 but after that Wifi didnt worked. so I installed Win 7 drivers for 5150 wifi/wimax but couldnt make it work...

Because it was new (no personal data in it, it was completley new) I decided to format and began from Zero and only that way I could make it work.

My guess is that somehow even when the device is recognized by Windows, it will remain deactivated (as if it was off) for the wifi part. Wimax does work. It has something to do with Windows 7,or an incompatibility issue in the hardware, as on XP it will have no problems at all.

I will try a clean install of Win 7 but if its not working I will call Dell Support to ask for the Wimax card replace.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:54 PM
  • I realize this thread is very old, but I had the same issue and after initially reading the replies in here had given up hope, however I have found a solution.

The driver is located here: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails?driverId=1W2PM

When you run the setup.exe from the extracted folder it says it will not run, but if you go into the drivers folder and install with DPInst32 it will enable to device to start and function properly.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:15 AM
  • Thank you very much! Your solution works! I also tried all drivers from Intel and Lenovo and none of them works. Only the driver from Dell is able to work.
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:28 PM
  • Finally a solution! I just upgraded my Dell Studio 1737 from Vista to 7 and none of the other drivers I could find worked. Thank you!
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:03 PM