none
Microsoft Office 2000 compatibility

Question

• Hi,

Will Microsoft Office 2000 run perfectly in Windows 7? I've read that it's not possible to update Office 2000 on Windows 7, is that true? Are there other issues?

Thanks,

D.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I meant that you may need to get the exact answer from Office side not OS. Based on my research, Office 2000 is supported in Windows Vista, thus it should be supported in Windows 7 as well. That means you can install office 2000 in Windows 7 and install updates from Microsoft Update. However, because Office 2000 is ended Support in July 14, 2009 , there have been no fixes for issues that occur when this product is run on Windows 7.

For references:

Office 2000 and Office Update Site to Retire

Microsoft Support Lifecycle

Hope it helps.
    Thanks.

OK, thanks.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:48 PM

All replies

• To be able to update Office 2000 is not related to the OS. Office 2000's lifecycle ended on 2004 and July 14, 2009 for extended support. So regardless of the OS, there should not be anymore support for Office 2000.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Hi,

For software and hardware compatibility, you can check in Windows Compatibility Center. BTW, it is recommended to involve Office Home for more information.

Hope it helps.
    Dale
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:03 AM
  • To be able to update Office 2000 is not related to the OS. Office 2000's lifecycle ended on 2004 and July 14, 2009 for extended support. So regardless of the OS, there should not be anymore support for Office 2000.
    I know about the support. I thought people were saying that it was not possible to install *existing* Office 2000 updates/SPs.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:10 AM
  • Hi,

For software and hardware compatibility, you can check in Windows Compatibility Center . BTW, it is recommended to involve Office Home  for more information.

Hope it helps.
    Dale
    Microsoft Office 2000 is not listed on the Windows 7 Compatibility Center website. When I run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, it doesn't mention any problems with Office 2000.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it is recommended to involve Office Home  for more information".
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Hi,

I meant that you may need to get the exact answer from Office side not OS. Based on my research, Office 2000 is supported in Windows Vista, thus it should be supported in Windows 7 as well. That means you can install office 2000 in Windows 7 and install updates from Microsoft Update. However, because Office 2000 is ended Support in July 14, 2009 , there have been no fixes for issues that occur when this product is run on Windows 7.

For references:

Hope it helps.
    Thanks.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:48 AM
  • I tried, and couldn't, not in XP mode or in Windows 7 itself. Trying to run Office 2000 Service relase 1a produced an error message that it couldn't complete, referring to a text file that didn't seem to mention an error. It mentioned that IE 8 was installed instead of IE5, but went on from there, so it doesn't seem like that was what was wrong. I tracked down the full package (filename O2ksr1adl.exe) and am currently downloading it. I'm wondering, though, should Office 2000 programs be run in XP mode or is it OK to run them in Windows 7 (64-bit)?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Hi,

For references:

Hope it helps.
    Thanks.

OK, thanks.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:48 PM
  • I tried, and couldn't, not in XP mode or in Windows 7 itself. Trying to run Office 2000 Service relase 1a produced an error message that it couldn't complete, referring to a text file that didn't seem to mention an error. It mentioned that IE 8 was installed instead of IE5, but went on from there, so it doesn't seem like that was what was wrong. I tracked down the full package (filename O2ksr1adl.exe) and am currently downloading it. I'm wondering, though, should Office 2000 programs be run in XP mode or is it OK to run them in Windows 7 (64-bit)?

Thanks for the info. What are you downloading that file for if you already have Service Release 1a?
    • Proposed as answer by rambo69 Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:18 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Try this link. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/01/windows_7_xp_mode_review/
    The author explains what he did to get Office 2000 to run on windows 7 in the XP mode.
    Good luck,
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:23 PM

Thanks for the info. What are you downloading that file for if you already have Service Release 1a?

The file I had was just the downloader. I guess it's not able to connect now since July...I then did a search for the full package and found it here: http://www.filewatcher.com/m/O2KSR1aDL.EXE.53816504.0.0.html.
    I did end up getting Word 2000 to run in Win7.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Try this link. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/01/windows_7_xp_mode_review/
    The author explains what he did to get Office 2000 to run on windows 7 in the XP mode.
    Good luck,
    XP mode is only available in Windows 7 Professional and higher (I have Home Premium).

Thanks.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 8:25 PM
  • The file I had was just the downloader. I guess it's not able to connect now since July...I then did a search for the full package and found it here: http://www.filewatcher.com/m/O2KSR1aDL.EXE.53816504.0.0.html.
    I did end up getting Word 2000 to run in Win7.
    Ah, OK.

I decided to purchase Office 2007 Home & Student to avoid any possible issues.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 8:53 PM
  • I have upgraded to
    windows 7 and installed Office 2000 and it works just fine.  Outlook does not work.
    • Proposed as answer by Lexxstar Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:41 AM
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Just curious--which components did you install?

Sunday, December 06, 2009 2:30 AM
  • Hi there,

I have been running a cheat-tweat for as long as I have had Office 2007. I cannot do without my beloved Shortcut Bar from Office 2000. Will not.

I install Office 2007 and afterward do a custom install of Office 2000--ONLY the Shortcut Bar, Clippit and Binder. The 2 versions of Office co-exist seamlessly in XP. I will try it out on Win7 next week on my new 64bit machine. If it does not work, I will have to completely alter my computing life--I have 12 bars on the Shortcut Bar, each with a number of appropriate programs. Wish me luck.

Kateri
    Monday, December 07, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Good luck! I miss my Shortcut Bar too.
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Using Win 7, I cannot get my copy of e 2000 Premium to install.  It tells me the key is wrong.

I have re-entered the key at LEAST half a dozen times, with the same result!  Has Microsoft programmed Win 7

decline the installation of this older office product to force us to by a newer version????

Can I get a NEW product key?  Just exactly HOW can I use MY current copy? Should I take 7 off of my computer

(HP Lance Armstrong Version), and re-install XP?  I NEVER had these issues with XP...

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:33 PM
  • I've installed and used my Microsoft Office 2000 Professional in mt new system with Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.  I have never went out to look for updates as tghe features I am able to use seem to work just fine for me.  No installation issues or product key issues were noted.  I'd install your copy and wait until the new Office 2010 Professional comes down in price to upgrade.
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:22 AM
  • On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:22:45 +0000, rburton673 wrote:

> I've installed and used my Microsoft Office 2000 Professional in mt new system with Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit. I have never went out to look for updates as tghe features I am able to use seem to work just fine for me. No installation issues or product key issues were noted. I'd install your copy and wait until the new Office 2010 Professional comes down in price to upgrade.

Be aware that the major incompatibility between Office 2000 and
    Windows 7 is that Outlook will not remember your password.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

Ken Blake
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Ok - so I know Office 2000 is a dead product, but I see others have installed it on Windows 7 successfully. I'm on a fixed income and can't affory $500 for Office 2010 Professional, but I do have Office 2000 that runs just fine on XP.

I install it on Windows 7, and everything works - except WORD. Everything! Except WORD. It starts ok, brings up it's blank document but then goes non-responding. Not even the toolbars, or the FILE menu gets loaded.

I have spent two days, changed compaibility, reloaded only word, and even looked into the registry. But it still doesn't work and I am extreemly frustrated.

Can anyone help me make it work.

• Proposed as answer by claudnjean Monday, August 09, 2010 12:08 PM
    Monday, August 09, 2010 1:17 AM
  • I have 2 computers and I installed Office 2000 Professional on the older one.  It started out as an xp and I upgraded it to Vista and finally upgraded it to Windows 7.  The Office installed on this computer with no problem except for Outlook which did now work.  I also have a laptop that is newer and was a vista and now is upgraded to windows 7.  Office 2000 worked on this computer except for Outlook and Word.  I finally found a friend who has office 2003 and was able to get office 2003 to work on the laptop.  If your office 2000 doesn't work on windows 7 I guess you are out of luck.
    Monday, August 09, 2010 12:15 PM
  • Go to www.openoffice.org and download their free office suite.  It is comparable with microsoft office and free. I use it and like it.
    Monday, August 09, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Thank you. I have downloaded it, but I had hoped that a MS moderator might have some insight, and tell me how to fix it. I need Word to write my resume and cover letters during this period of unemployment when I am looking for a job. I really hate to abandon what has worked for me for so long, but I do need something. Hopefull OpenOffice will work in the absense of Microsoft's help.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:50 PM
  • I went from windows XP to windows 7 and because of this I had to install all my programs fresh. Office 2000 pro on XP had all availible updates installed but after installing on windows 7 I could not update. Everthing works just fine and I have been using on my computer ever since windows 7 came out and I installed the update. I have not tried Outlook but since I have retired 3 years ago I have no need for Outlook and now use web mail.

ghlnknjc

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:32 PM
  • I am having the same problem after installing Win 7

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Thank you. I have downloaded it, but I had hoped that a MS moderator might have some insight, and tell me how to fix it. I need Word to write my resume and cover letters during this period of unemployment when I am looking for a job. I really hate to abandon what has worked for me for so long, but I do need something. Hopefull OpenOffice will work in the absense of Microsoft's help.
    hi, sorry microsoft moderator has finished working with microsoft office 2000 since July 14, 2009. if you do need to use a better version of microsoft, download the trial pack from microsoft itself and try it out, i suggest you download the 2003 version, there are some cheap codes out there. also if you can't afford the code, simply give microsoft a ring on the number provided, tell them you are upgrading from microsoft 2000 and would like to go on microsoft office 2003. they should be able to provide you a temporary licence so that you can look around for  proper purchase code.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 9:41 AM
  • The tech at Staples had to take off my Nortons I use Verizon Security Suite so he said for the price he would install the Vista Compatible printer and I said I have a working copy of Office 2000 Key Code and everything. He said it would not install. Thanks for the info I will try to install it myself. Maybe this guy does not know his job.

There are people on CNET selling Office 2003 are these people selling legit copies of Office 2003 because if 2000 does nto work I will not use 2007 have a copy hate it. I miss the wizard and the ease of looking for something on 2003 and earlier versions.

Pat Rauch
    Sunday, September 04, 2011 1:29 AM
  • Give it a shot.  I just loaded up Office 2000 onto my new laptop with Windows 7 and everything seems cool.  Excel and Word have been tested and are working fine.

P.S. : got mine HP laptop at Office Depot.  I avoid Staples . . .

Thursday, September 08, 2011 12:15 AM
  • I have windows xp not windows 7.  my copy of microsoft 2000 professional will not load.  I can get disk 2 to work but not disk 1.  I get an error message that goes something like this.

C:\window\system32\mapi.dll

it says make sure it is installed and you have access to it.  I found a way to open a  the needed file.  error message says that the file is already installed.  At this point the installation stops.

Can you help me? 

Michael Gackowski

mikegackowski@yahoo.com

Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Go to the installation disk and open or explore, there should be a notebook file with the product ID on the disk somewhere from what I remember, then just copy and paste into the appropriate space and it should work. If I should remember more I will post it hear in the next few days, even though the date on this post is August 9th 2010

Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:48 AM