none
printer installation error message 0x00000bcb after installing KB4022722 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

after installing the June 2017 security patch (not the security rollup) KB4022722 on our Windows 7 domain clients, we get the error message 0x00000bcb every time while installing network printer drivers deployed by Windows Server 2008R2 with Printing Services Role.

If I install the printer driver from a network share, there are no issues instead. Only during installation of printers at our printserver, I get this error message.

After removing the windows update KB4022722 with wusa.exe the printer installation works without any issues.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that the issue is caused by the update package, but after searching from Microsoft website, there is not an article record a known issue about printer in the update.

As Microsoft has been released a new update in July, the latest update could fix issues which occurred in the former update package. I would recommend you to update the latest package manually to check the issue again.

Best regards,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:54 AM
  • Hi Joy,

thank you for the quick response.

I installed the latest Microsoft updates from patch day July, 12th.

The updates did not fixed my problem :-(

Any other ideas?

Friday, July 14, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thank your for your update.

KB 3192403 could resolve some printer spooler related issue which KB4022722 would cause.

We could try to download KB 3192403 manually from Windows Update Catalog.

Then try to configure the following GPO, then check the issue again.

1. Expand Computer Configuration, and then expand Administrative Templates.

2. Click Printers.

3. Double click Point and Print Restrictions, and then select the Enabled option.   (First policy)

4. Under Options, select the Users can only point and print to these servers check box, and then type the fully qualified server names in the text box, separated by semi-colons.

5. Under Security Prompts, select Do not show warning or elevation prompt in both the When installing drivers for a new connection and When updating drivers for an existing connection lists.

6. Click Apply, and then OK.

7. In the Printers policy page, double-click Package Point and Print – Approved servers.   (Second Policy)

8. Select the Enabled option.

9. Under Options, click Show.

10. Type one fully qualified server name in each row.

11. Click OK. Click Apply, and then click OK.

12. If you are using a stand-alone client, restart the client, and then verify that these policies are in effect.

13. If you use domain policies, push the policies to the domain clients, and then verify that these policies are in effect.

Best regards,

Joy.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

Was the issue resolved?

Bests,

Joy.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 10:31 AM
  • The poster answered his own issue and posted this thread as notification to others.

I'd like to add that KB4025341 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025341/windows-7-update-kb4025341) is the roll up for the month which also includes the same printer related files as KB2022722.

We are having the issue with point and print drivers which are not package aware, after installing both these patches (similar to July last year - will this become a yearly event). Point and Print driver distribution with the correct GPO settings has been working until this point.

edit: Removal of both patches (KB4025341 and KB2022722) from our desktops has reinstated point and print functionality for drivers which are not listed as being package aware.
    • Edited by Syncr0s Thursday, August 3, 2017 2:46 AM Information update on further testing.
    Thursday, August 3, 2017 12:40 AM
  • Hi,

I have not heard from you for several days, was the issue resolved?

I will close the case temporarily now, if you have any concerns about the issue, please reply to us.

When your reply to us, the case will re-open automatically.

Bests,

Joy.

Thursday, August 3, 2017 7:23 AM
  • I could confirm the issue, described by initial post, still persist. I've found the KB4022722 is a causing the GPO printer driver install troubles.  
    Also, the manual addendum of the printer from the network print server doesn't work.
    • Edited by paja63 Tuesday, September 5, 2017 2:18 PM add
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 2:17 PM
  • Wow... really happy to have found this thread. We've been living with the point and print issue for a year now, with no real resolution. This procedure *precisely* remedies the issues we have encountered in our environment. Now that I have successfully tested the procedure that you have delineated, I will pass the information to our parent company (in Spain). I hope that they will implement the solution, since remedying each computer manually will take some time!

Tks,

Stan

Friday, September 8, 2017 2:31 PM