none
XP 32 bits dual boot with Vista 64 bits ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I have a AMD 6000+ dual X64 on a Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe.

I already have XP 32 bits on a SATA disk. At all, I do have 4 SATA disks.

I installed Vista 64 bits on a separate disk. Dual boot is OK. Vista is OK when running. My problem is when I get in XP. it seems XP is having difficulties to read the SATA disk where Vista is on. Is it possible that the 64 bits OS changes something in the way it stores the files on the disk ? I keep having chkdsk as soon as I get in XP after having been in Vista. Can you help please ?

Thank you.

Monday, November 19, 2007 4:36 PM

Answers

•  

Hi LandCruiser,

Thank you for the post.

The issue can occur if you do not have enough permission to access the Windows Vista drive.

I suggest you refer to the following article to take ownership of the file that you cannot access. If there are more than one file or folder that cannot be accessed on the Windows Vista drive, you can use the similar method to take ownership of the entire drive.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

After performing the steps provided in the article, please test the result. If the issue persists, I would like to confirm the following points for further research:

1. Can you see the Windows Vista drive? I mean if the Windows Vista drive is shown in My Computer, Disk Management or System Information in Windows XP.

2. Does any error message appear when trying to access the Windows Vista drive? If so, please let me know the exact wording of the message.

Hope it helps.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:44 AM

All replies

•  

If the disk you have vista is installed on a raid device like raid 5, then your xp install may not have the proper drivers installed. Have you checked to see if all of your controllers show up in dev mgr?
    Monday, November 19, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Hello,

I don't have any RAID device or software. I can see my disk in dev mgr. The funny part is I tought first my hdd was in fault but when going in Vista, everything runs smooth and clean. Only when I go to XP, it seems it has difficulties to read it in some ways.

Monday, November 19, 2007 6:35 PM
  •  

Hi LandCruiser,

Thank you for the post.

The issue can occur if you do not have enough permission to access the Windows Vista drive.

I suggest you refer to the following article to take ownership of the file that you cannot access. If there are more than one file or folder that cannot be accessed on the Windows Vista drive, you can use the similar method to take ownership of the entire drive.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

After performing the steps provided in the article, please test the result. If the issue persists, I would like to confirm the following points for further research:

1. Can you see the Windows Vista drive? I mean if the Windows Vista drive is shown in My Computer, Disk Management or System Information in Windows XP.

2. Does any error message appear when trying to access the Windows Vista drive? If so, please let me know the exact wording of the message.

Hope it helps.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:44 AM
  • I have the same motherboard and just yesterday installed a new drive and placed a fresh Vista 64bit O/S on the new sata drive. I already had a 32bit XP install working fine on teh existing sata drive. My issue (I thought I'd just ask here) is that it does not ask me to dual boot. When the machine cycles (cold or warm) it just goes into XP. Is there some small something that I need to flip in order to have it ask me which O/S to boot into? ... or perhaps a higher bios rev? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:07 PM